Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's why I've never tried it. I mostly drink green tea, I don't think you could salt it without it standing out. Something stronger it'd be worth trying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Lester Shy posted:

Tonkatsu. Slice loin into quarter inch pieces. Dredge in seasoned flour -> beaten egg -> Panko. Deep fry for 3-4 minutes.

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Prolly gonna slow cook the other half for taco meat as suggested. Saving the Chinese recipes for later, thank you my good goons!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

BBQ Dave posted:

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Prolly gonna slow cook the other half for taco meat as suggested. Saving the Chinese recipes for later, thank you my good goons!

You may already have a recipe but this one is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASr5x0d3Ys

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

A nice average size schnitzel in Vienna. I like their unveiled contempt for anything green. Not even a tiny sprig of parsley is allowed to taint it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ideas for canned tuna, mackerel or sardines?

Ive been gifted a big box of fancy ethical canned fish. Some in olive oil, water, thyme, spicy, tomato etc.

I do like tuna salads but not enough to make 12 of them.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’ve been gifted a big box of fancy ethical canned fish. Some in olive oil, water, thyme, spicy, tomato etc.

I like making canned tuna into patties with bread crumbs and a bit of egg and pan frying it, but I have not tried it with other fish.

Alex (the French guy who's got a solid following on YouTube) did a bunch of dishes with canned fish in response to one of the bigger hurricanes a few years ago, and I'd recommend checking that out. (I'm phone posting, otherwise I'd dig up a link.)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like the mackerel and sardines with bread and maybe some sour cream, capers and onions. A good lunch. Same with smoked herring, sprats (my fav) and lots of other fish.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ive been gifted a big box of fancy ethical canned fish. Some in olive oil, water, thyme, spicy, tomato etc.

Kimchi jjigae

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

this thing put between a regular sized burger bun with some pickles is the state specialty cuisine of Indiana, every family style and burger joint has them. Awful garbage in almost every case.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For deep fried cutlets like that what is the trick to the breading that doesn't slide off? Is it oil temp or am I loving up the dredging?

Any time I make katsu or fried chicken it's fine until I cut it up and then the breading separates and doesn't stay with the meat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

For deep fried cutlets like that what is the trick to the breading that doesn't slide off? Is it oil temp or am I loving up the dredging?

Any time I make katsu or fried chicken it's fine until I cut it up and then the breading separates and doesn't stay with the meat.

How are you doing the breading? I shake it in AP flour, shake off the excess, then egg, then panko and never have an issue with anything separating. Are you double-dipping the flour and egg step? I tried that once and remember it not sticking well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So like put it in a ziploc bag and shake it in flour? I've only ever done it in a shallow bowl.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like the mackerel and sardines with bread and maybe some sour cream, capers and onions. A good lunch. Same with smoked herring, sprats (my fav) and lots of other fish.

Yeah one of my favorite simple meals is canned sardines in flavorful stuff on toast with lots of salt and pepper, maybe a squeeze of lemon and some green onions.

They ARE canned, you probably have a few years to eat them before they go bad

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So like put it in a ziploc bag and shake it in flour? I've only ever done it in a shallow bowl.

Either way works fine. Shaking it in a bag is lazier, plus I dump all the excess gunk in there after for easy disposal. The important thing is to give the porks a good shake to get off all the excess flour, if there's too much it'll peel right off the meat. If you're not doing that I'd guess that's the problem.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dredging is fine as well, ya just gotta make sure you get good, but light coverage.

Also, letting em hang out on a rack in the fridge a while before frying can help keep the breading adhered to the meat.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

I’ve been gifted a big box of fancy ethical canned fish. Some in olive oil, water, thyme, spicy, tomato etc.

Where does one get ethical canned fish, and how expensive is it? I'm not very concerned about mercury fwiw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Dredging is fine as well, ya just gotta make sure you get good, but light coverage.

Also, letting em hang out on a rack in the fridge a while before frying can help keep the breading adhered to the meat.

Oh interesting. I've always air dried chicken in the fridge overnight before frying but I'd never thought about doing a second rest after breading. I will try that next time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'd keep it simple and mix them into various plain leafy/cherry tomato/cucumber/olive salads. I mean, if they are already in interesting marinades or are intrisically high-quality meats, then it makes sense to make them the highlight.

I've recently come up with fairly trashy but deefuckinglicious way to eat ordinary canned tuna - drain it, add a couple of spoons of laogsnma chili crisp, couple of teaspoons of mayonnaise and mix it all up. It's so good - the lgm is crunchy and spicy, and the mayo adds enough fat to carry the rich flavour through. I've tried it without the mayo and it's just not as tasty.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, Ive got a bunch of different ideas to work with now!

DildenAnders posted:

Where does one get ethical canned fish, and how expensive is it? I'm not very concerned about mercury fwiw.

Its honestly a roll of the dice because fishing fleets like to play fast and loose with where they go and what they call the fish they catch. The ASC and MSC marks (farmed and wild respectively) are your best bet. There are lots of other green certifications but some of them are maintained by the industry and dont mean poo poo, while ASC and MSC are nominally independent and occasionally bamboozled.

My country has its own certification for fish that arent caught by methods that are harmful for the environment such as trawling. So maybe research that as well?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 23, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This may help. No direct experience but I've heard it on a couple podcasts https://www.seafoodwatch.org

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Salted pourover coffee owns bones ya'll. Made my morning, thanks for the tip. :ocelot:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Should I buy an air fryer or deep fryer? I'm more concerned with delicious results then healthiness. (I won't be using it every day)

Any specific things/manufacturers to look for or avoid?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
somewhat urgent question:

context: making avgolemono soup

can I gently heat or slow-cook a sauce with egg that has been tempered, or will the egg eventually curdle over time?

I am fairly certain I have diluted the egg well enough. My concern is just whether a gentle simmer will cause it to settle or fall out

edit: I added it to the pot and am trying to heat it gently will report back

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 23, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spalec posted:

Should I buy an air fryer or deep fryer? I'm more concerned with delicious results then healthiness. (I won't be using it every day)

Deep frying is definitely more delicious. You can just use a cast iron skillet or something if you have one that's deep enough though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spalec posted:

Deep fryer, and like Mystes said; use a cast-iron pan or a dutch oven if you already have one. Just get a fry/candy thermometer, and monitor the heat while you cook.
To reuse the oil, use a funnel and coffee filters, or a mesh strainer and paper towel.

And I would avoid the smallest Cuisinart model (which I own); not because it can't do the job, but because it's just too small for some foods (schnitzel/tonkatsu), and necessitates separating cooking into batches (e.g. only 6-8 wings per).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 23, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DasNeonLicht posted:

somewhat urgent question:

context: making avgolemono soup

can I gently heat or slow-cook a sauce with egg that has been tempered, or will the egg eventually curdle over time?

I am fairly certain I have diluted the egg well enough. My concern is just whether a gentle simmer will cause it to settle or fall out

If you are really gentle in your summer, you might be OK. Ive made avgolemono a couple of times and had enough leftover to reheat it the next day. Once it was OK, the second time I was less careful and it was hosed.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

DildenAnders posted:

Any good and easy recipes for a beer cheese sauce?

Buy some spreadable "pub cheese" (the kind in the plastic tub) and put it in a double boiler or crock pot with some dark beer (Guinness), a little cream cheese, and some spices (garlic powder, mustard power, a pinch of cayenne). Stir it occasionally until it all melts good and then blend it with a stick blender. It should look soupy but will thicken up considerably upon blending so add more beer or cheese depending on your preference.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

minus a bit of a skin that formed, the broth is still creamy :sweatdrop:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

We've been buying a lot of white mushrooms for salads lately, and keeping them on the counter (not fridge), but they still get grotty after a few days. Are there any tricks to making them last longer, or is this just mushroom life? Would another variety, like criminis, last longer?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Keep them in the fridge

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Most fresh mushrooms keep best in a ziplock or delitainer lined with a damp (not dripping wet) paper towel. They'll keep 1-2 weeks that way, depending on type.

Storing them in the fridge in an open container will also work, but they'll slowly shrivel and dry out when kept this way.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks for the replies; any advantage to putting them in a paper bag?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The excitement of not knowing if you get to have mushrooms for dinner until you open the bag. Sometimes the surprise is grosser than you'd like.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

It's usually taking a slice and pounding it out, but if you have a pan or fryer big enough to flatten an entire loin and fry it whole, well... :snoop:

I'm just curious about the grain mostly.

I presume I can just take a 2" hunk off of the loin and (as if I were slicing a giant hot dog for my son) and then turn it 90 degrees and wail on it with a cast iron skillet to make it thin as heck, right?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I'm just curious about the grain mostly.

I presume I can just take a 2" hunk off of the loin and (as if I were slicing a giant hot dog for my son) and then turn it 90 degrees and wail on it with a cast iron skillet to make it thin as heck, right?

Yes. That's pretty much how to do a schnitzel/breaded pork chop, and it used to be my dad's preferred cut for it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Further: is the only difference between tonkatsu and schnitzel the side offerings? Maybe the bread crumbs too?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Further: is the only difference between tonkatsu and schnitzel the side offerings? Maybe the bread crumbs too?
Breading, seasoning, saucing, and presentation.

Like if you took some schnitzel and sliced it up, put it on a rice bowl, and served it with Bulldog sauce then yeah I guess you might notice that the breading isn't panko but it would be pretty close. But if you ordered tonkatsu and you got a whole fried cutlet on a plate with a couple boiled potatoes and a bunch of lemon wedges then you would have a pretty strong case that you didn't get what you ordered.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I know its probably not what you want to hear, but the best thing is to buy fewer mushrooms at once, only buying what you need when you need it.

If you are going to bulk buy mushrooms, Id suggest the best thing to do is to make duxelles and freeze it, but thats not really going to work for a salad.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It could be worth looking into growing your own mushrooms so that you always have a fresh supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

The excitement of not knowing if you get to have mushrooms for dinner until you open the bag.
What's worse: no when you were expecting yes, or yes when you were expecting no?