Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember, but I wasn't seeing those trailers and becoming excited that Jeremy Renner was the lead, the way I would have for Jason Statham at the time.

To me, he's always felt like a guy who's just there.

From my experience(5 years working at Blockbuster), people don't even evaluate actors that deeply. It's really just "Actor A was in Movie B that I liked. I see here that Actor A is now in Movie C, therefore I will watch Movie C", and there's not much thought involved beyond that. And Renner had that Avengers association so he was a marketable name based on that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Is Renner even a big enough name? I mean he's in the MCU, but everyone hates Hawkeye, and outside of that he's just been "meh" at best.

Renner had a weird surge of popularity and plenty of "Here's 5 reasons why Hawkguy is the best Avenger" write-ups, which peaked with Age of Ultron (I think) and plummeted when it was revealed he's a tool and a spouse-abuser and terrible parent.

edit: Godfather is an interesting example to choose, cuz I've personally been trying to get my friends who would love Godfather to actually watch the drat thing. It's one of those movies where everyone hears it's good, they know it's a Great movie, a look at the cast shows it's stacked, but everyone's reticent to sit down and watch it cuz it might be too dry or too dense or too whatever. If they watched it, they'd realize it's awesome, compelling and exciting, but that's the hurdle it faces.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 24, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Isn't the godfather 4k being worked on? I remember that being announced.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Godfather is an interesting example to choose, cuz I've personally been trying to get my friends who would love Godfather to actually watch the drat thing. It's one of those movies where everyone hears it's good, they know it's a Great movie, a look at the cast shows it's stacked, but everyone's reticent to sit down and watch it cuz it might be too dry or too dense or too whatever. If they watched it, they'd realize it's awesome, compelling and exciting, but that's the hurdle it faces.

Doesn't help that it opens with like a 30 minute wedding scene. I mean, yea as someone who loves the film and loves 70's films in general that scene is amazing but for someone in 2021 going back to watch the Greatest Mafia Movie of All-Time it can be a rough way to start. They expect it to start more like Goodfellas where you're 3 minutes in and a guy is already getting brutally murdered and stuffed in the trunk of a car.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1408071741172158488?s=19

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Doesn't help that it opens with like a 30 minute wedding scene. I mean, yea as someone who loves the film and loves 70's films in general that scene is amazing but for someone in 2021 going back to watch the Greatest Mafia Movie of All-Time it can be a rough way to start. They expect it to start more like Goodfellas where you're 3 minutes in and a guy is already getting brutally murdered and stuffed in the trunk of a car.

You're right, but you'd also be surprised how slow-burns can still work! My buddy, who likes flashy, silly stuff watched The Deer Hunter on his own accord, and his favorite part of the movie was the hour long wedding scene.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I picked up the 6 disc Apocalypse Now as my Prime Day purchase. I’ve only seen the theatrical version on VHS like 20 years ago. I’m going to screen one of the 3 versions in Dolby Vision for a couple buddies tomorrow. Is there any reason to watch Redux over the Final Cut? From what I read it’s basically the same but with 20 min of stuff Coppola deemed unnecessary removed and he prefers the final cut. It’s all new to me and all 3 versions have new 4k scans from the original negative, so if I’m not missing too much I’ll prob say 3 hours is long enough.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Franchescanado posted:

You're right, but you'd also be surprised how slow-burns can still work! My buddy, who likes flashy, silly stuff watched The Deer Hunter on his own accord, and his favorite part of the movie was the hour long wedding scene.

To be fair, that is by far the best part of the film. It's all downhill after that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

I picked up the 6 disc Apocalypse Now as my Prime Day purchase. I’ve only seen the theatrical version on VHS like 20 years ago. I’m going to screen one of the 3 versions in Dolby Vision for a couple buddies tomorrow. Is there any reason to watch Redux over the Final Cut? From what I read it’s basically the same but with 20 min of stuff Coppola deemed unnecessary removed and he prefers the final cut. It’s all new to me and all 3 versions have new 4k scans from the original negative, so if I’m not missing too much I’ll prob say 3 hours is long enough.

Final Cut sucks major rear end. He removed all the good, interesting stuff from Redux like the USO show but left in all the horrible pointless boring garbage like that never ending French mansion scene. The way to go is still Redux while skipping that scene.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The way to go is theatrical because it's a perfect movie with perfect pacing. Coppola got it right the first time and didn't realize it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anything that cuts out “Give back the board Lance”, is not perfect. In fact it might even be bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vince MechMahon posted:

Final Cut sucks major rear end. He removed all the good, interesting stuff from Redux like the USO show but left in all the horrible pointless boring garbage like that never ending French mansion scene. The way to go is still Redux while skipping that scene.

:piss:
I just assumed this would be a Blade Runner situation where it really is the best cut.

I upgraded to the Blu-Ray but only watched it once so I didn’t let myself get the 4K; feeling better about that now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

:piss:
I just assumed this would be a Blade Runner situation where it really is the best cut.

I upgraded to the Blu-Ray but only watched it once so I didn’t let myself get the 4K; feeling better about that now.

The 4k set has every cut so it's pretty comprehensive, you don't have to watch the Final Cut if you don't want to. And the film looks stunning in 4k so I definitely recommend it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean another issue is that a UHD of The Godfather is something you want to get right, something the filmmakers will want to sign off on and will generally take time resolving issues of intended color timing and what not.

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters is something you can knock out easily.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The 4k set has every cut so it's pretty comprehensive, you don't have to watch the Final Cut if you don't want to. And the film looks stunning in 4k so I definitely recommend it.

I thought the 4k set only has the final cut in uhd and the other cuts on bluray?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I thought the 4k set only has the final cut in uhd and the other cuts on bluray?

Nah they're all on UHD with Dolby Vision. You do get blu rays too though, hence the 6 total discs.

Edit: poo poo, sorry I lost track of the conversation and thought we were still talking about Apocalypse Now. My bad.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 24, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: poo poo, sorry I lost track of the conversation and thought we were still talking about Apocalypse Now. My bad.

:same: and I nearly had a panic attack because I just bought the AN set.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
target has 3 uhd movies and Best Buy keeps there’s in a corner of the fridge department, where would they even sell Hansel and gretel

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

John Romero posted:

target has 3 uhd movies and Best Buy keeps there’s in a corner of the fridge department, where would they even sell Hansel and gretel

Christmas

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait what are we talking about? I’m so confused! :saddowns:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what are we talking about? I’m so confused! :saddowns:

The Apocalypse Now UHD set has all three cuts of the film on UHDs with Dolby Vision, which is really nice because it makes it like the definitive edition of the film and there's no need to own multiple releases. On the other hand, the Blade Runner UHD only has the Final Cut on the UHD.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I miss being able to browse a good sized dvd/blu ray section at stores.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I miss being able to browse a good sized dvd/blu ray section at stores.

Well good news, B&N Criterion sale is almost a week away.

S'literally the only place I can peruse movies that isn't a thrift store.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Your best bet now is to find local stores. I used to work at one a few years ago, but they treated me like poo poo so I don’t shop there anymore. May go back someday with my expanded Blu-ray knowledge and clean them out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The weird thing about Best Buy is some totally unexpected stuff will show up on the shelf at random times and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Like I was there last week and out of nowhere there was a steelbook copy of the Phantasm restoration that came out a few years ago. But then of course there will be long stretches where the shelves are almost completely empty and nothing new is being put out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The weird thing about Best Buy is some totally unexpected stuff will show up on the shelf at random times and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Like I was there last week and out of nowhere there was a steelbook copy of the Phantasm restoration that came out a few years ago. But then of course there will be long stretches where the shelves are almost completely empty and nothing new is being put out.

This is Walmart for me, the one near me has a copy of the Shout Factory Fly box set, and both Walmarts near me have about 30% different stock. It's weird and sucks that Walmart is the best place to browse for movies, even if it's just a tiny wall now

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Basebf555 posted:

yeah I bitch about Best Buy having such a small selection but like 80% of it is arrow

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bought a copy of the blu-ray of Maximum Overdrive cause I randomly found it at Walmart.

There's also an FYE here in a random dirt mall where is still 1999. 75% of their space is movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

John Romero posted:

yeah I bitch about Best Buy having such a small selection but like 80% of it is arrow

I'd be delighted to see any Arrow discs in my local Best Buy at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I'd be delighted to see any Arrow discs in my local Best Buy at all.

It really does depend on the location I guess. I was able to get both They Live and Prince of Darkness UHDs at Best Buy. Sure, they only had like two copies of each but nobody else buys this poo poo so they sat there for weeks before I eventually caved and bought them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

It really does depend on the location I guess. I was able to get both They Live and Prince of Darkness UHDs at Best Buy. Sure, they only had like two copies of each but nobody else buys this poo poo so they sat there for weeks before I eventually caved and bought them.

My Best Buy's selection is basically Marvel movies, a little bit of TV stuff that's fairly decent, whatever new or newish big studio releases there are, and a tiny bit of anime for flavor. That they have an blu-rays at all is a miracle at this point, I guess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Franchescanado posted:

Well good news, B&N Criterion sale is almost a week away.

S'literally the only place I can peruse movies that isn't a thrift store.

Have they announced the date for that yet?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

So there's pretty much a zero chance that Severin's website will work tonight when they release their mid-year exclusive titles, right? I want the post apocalyptic bundle that comes with a book about the subgenre, the Blood for Dracula UHD and Retribution. Plus the mystery title that's only available on Saturday (Great White I assume). Is it even worth staying up to try and buy them?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ultraviolence123 posted:

So there's pretty much a zero chance that Severin's website will work tonight when they release their mid-year exclusive titles, right? I want the post apocalyptic bundle that comes with a book about the subgenre, the Blood for Dracula UHD and Retribution. Plus the mystery title that's only available on Saturday (Great White I assume). Is it even worth staying up to try and buy them?

The Severin site worked okay last sale but that was partly because they killed a lot of good will among boutique label fans so they didn't sell as much stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I'm going to give it a try for the bundle, flipping a coin on it working

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I decided to curb movie purchasing by only buying movies I've seen before but Severin just had to release Blood for Dracula in 4K.

There's a great sequence at the end that inspired the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's such a good, dumb movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
lol severin

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Severin sale is up and it’s going about as well as any Severin sale has before.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
well gently caress they're getting DDoS'd again :bravo:

anyway got my first order through after 30 min

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American_Monkey
Jun 22, 2003

So I hosed up and accidentally chose “Add to my existing order” when I had none while purchasing my items. I’m kinda blaming it partially on the site screwing up beyond my own stupidity. Their FAQ says if this happens, my order will get placed on hold and not shipped until resolved, but no indication on how to fix it. Any ideas on what to do? I’ve already emailed them explaining the issue so hopefully that will take care of it.