Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

yeah I mean the Que Mala Hates Mexicans sign isn't wrong, but the dishonesty of these Trump people cynically invoking the plight of immigrant children while supporting a complete monster who openly campaigned on hating the poo poo out of them and abusing them for fun, goddamn

Most of those people there are Hispanic, and the disconnect is just insane. A thin rear end strip of water made you either Mexican or American. We're the loving same and it just makes me sad and angry to no end to see it out there and here in the Valley.

Here have a pic of my best friend's puppy. :smith:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Best thing in this thread right there ^

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 26, 2021

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

My extremely normal and organic grassroots protest where everyone is carrying the same signs and apparently now whistles.

That poo poo was way too annoying with my earbuds in

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jiro posted:

Here have a pic of my best friend's puppy. :smith:

I wish that puppy was my best friend

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Can we nominate the puppy to run for governor instead of the usual cavalcade of losers?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Governor Puppy's agenda in doubt after anti-fence bill derailed by valley democrats

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

E: nvm

jokes fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 26, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Puppy governor would go after the USPS harder than DeJoy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sardonik posted:

Can we nominate the puppy to run for governor instead of the usual cavalcade of losers?

I don't believe in subjecting babies to cruel and unusual punishment

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol get hosed txdot

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Badger of Basra posted:

The alternative is to just not do it

which is not an option, 45 north is never not a parking lot on the pierce. the expansion was the only viable option but they didnt consider the effects or even pretend to care so now nothing will happen for like ten years

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'll have to give that one a try. I'm partial to #1 Chicken Rice and Seafood off Almeda.

that place owns, although its no frenchys

theres another chicken and rice place up wayside past harrisburg that still has the indoor area and everything and their focus is asian food first. nice guy that runs it too

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Proud Christian Mom posted:

build I-45 under Houston

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

which is not an option, 45 north is never not a parking lot on the pierce. the expansion was the only viable option but they didnt consider the effects or even pretend to care so now nothing will happen for like ten years

maybe 10 years from now people will have realized you shouldn't be building more highways during a climate crisis

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m visiting Houston soon from Dallas and wanted to know what goon recos are for snacks. I think someone recommended a fried chicken place recently?

I know it’s off topic for politics but This Is Very Important

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

maybe 10 years from now people will have realized you shouldn't be building more highways during a climate crisis

No highways, no public transport to replace the need, housing costs wildly increasing and driving everyone farther away from their jobs, no centralized planning to mitigate literally any of this.

Best of all worlds.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It would fix a lot of things if everyone could work from home wherever for basically every job. There’s no reason I should bring my laptop from home to an office to do things on that laptop that I could do at home. I don’t even want a car.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I’m visiting Houston soon from Dallas and wanted to know what goon recos are for snacks. I think someone recommended a fried chicken place recently?

Houston is huge and its food scene is equally big, so answer these:

1. What part of the city will you be in?
2. What kind of food do you want/not want to try?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

jokes posted:

It would fix a lot of things if everyone could work from home wherever for basically every job. There’s no reason I should bring my laptop from home to an office to do things on that laptop that I could do at home. I don’t even want a car.

You won't get any complaints from me re: having management less present on the jobsite, but this wouldn't apply to that many people really.

Still helps.

fakeedit: since we're going the unfettered neoliberalism/right wing politics route in this country, who wants to start a betting pool as for when literally all those jobs get outsourced? $9/hr wfh in rural Alabama let's goooo

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

jokes posted:

get some banh mi

it's hard to go wrong no matter where

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
e: doubleposted because banh mi is that good

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Marxalot posted:

No highways, no public transport to replace the need, housing costs wildly increasing and driving everyone farther away from their jobs, no centralized planning to mitigate literally any of this.

Best of all worlds.

this climate crisis is insanely serious except when my commute takes too long

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Badger of Basra posted:

The climate crisis is serious, but I don't think it's fair to downplay how devastating these accessibility issues are. It's also worth pointing out that these kind of accessibility issues disproportionately effect the working class.

Not saying more highways are the answer, but it's a real problem.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

Unfortunately, most people aren't smart enough to simply ask to be paid enough to live inside the loop/move next to their new jobs every couple years. So these will continue to be massive problems in my area.

Sardonik posted:

The climate crisis is serious, but I don't think it's fair to downplay how devastating these accessibility issues are. It's also worth pointing out that these kind of accessibility issues disproportionately effect the working class.

The answer also involves doing a lot of things that are only tangentially related to transportation, but literally nobody in USpol with any real pull will allow it. We plebes need to sit down, shut up, and vote for the Smart Serious Adults In the Room who say we can't have labor rights that might allow people the job security (and wealth) to move closer to where they work. Wildly inflating housing costs because housing is being traded almost like a loving commodity at this point are actually just good for the economy. People not having healthcare/paying what I used to in rent for it also exacerbates the problem of everyone being too loving broke and precarious to live closer to work, but despite UHC being wildly popular those ideas are too radical and might scare voters. We get told that there's ~a crisis~ (there is) by our valued political class, but when people talk about doing literally any single thing that might mitigate it somewhat it gets shot down as being too pie in the sky. Too risky. We need more loving austerity and probably to back another Lupe or a loving Hegar in 2022 instead because oh god the alternative is just so much worse. Maybe we'll do more tax credits for people who have the money to blow 30k on a solar roof lmao

e: oh god imagine the loving outrage, deficit hawking, and hand wringing about how this will enable republicans if someone proposed a 250bn dollar 10 year plan to make mass transit in Texas mildly less laughable

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 26, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They opened a Gus's Fried Chicken here in San Antonio, but it's in southtown and the parking is terrible on the weekends.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Yeah it is a real problem and we should do things to solve it rather than building highways because traffic also affects poor people

Like who do you think is being affected by the expansion of the highways or the pollution that results from them

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also expanding highways doesn’t make traffic better anyway but maybe that’s centrist neolib shill talk

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
"induced demand" is the term

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dameius posted:

Houston is huge and its food scene is equally big, so answer these:

1. What part of the city will you be in?
2. What kind of food do you want/not want to try?

1. I’ll be buzzing around but I’m staying at “first Ward” and it’s apparently a mile from downtown.
2. I’m not big on seafood, but I’m not picky I just really like eating tasty things

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Badger of Basra posted:

houston will be underwater permanently before that happens

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

jokes posted:

Im visiting Houston soon from Dallas and wanted to know what goon recos are for snacks. I think someone recommended a fried chicken place recently?

I know its off topic for politics but This Is Very Important

frenchys on scott st
barnabys on fairview
stuffed baked potato factory on mlk
lankford grocery in montrose for their burgers
m&m grill on almeda cause its an arabic mexican restaurant and it owns
el cilantro taco truck on telephone at 45, which opens at four and you better know some spanish and have cash
cali sandwich shop on travis for the best banh mi and tofu dishes in town imo also their smoothies rule the mango one especially
burger park on mlk for a seriously old school burger experience, might also be cash only
the original kolache shop on telephone for breakfast, they have the best kolaches on the planet
tel wink grill on telephone for cool old diner vibe with no yuppies

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sir Tonk posted:

that place owns, although its no frenchys

theres another chicken and rice place up wayside past harrisburg that still has the indoor area and everything and their focus is asian food first. nice guy that runs it too

Just be careful leaving the parking lot. There are a poo poo ton of car crashes at that intersection.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

jokes posted:

1. Ill be buzzing around but Im staying at first Ward and its apparently a mile from downtown.
2. Im not big on seafood, but Im not picky I just really like eating tasty things

youll be surrounded by amazing food, thats a great area. the things i listed arent super close, but theyre all worth going to

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FoolyCharged posted:

Just be careful leaving the parking lot. There are a poo poo ton of car crashes at that intersection.

that whole part of town is wreck central, tons of people without drivers licenses and alot of day drinkers

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

"induced demand" is the term

Traffic is a gas and expands to fill the available road.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

frenchys on scott st
barnabys on fairview
stuffed baked potato factory on mlk
lankford grocery in montrose for their burgers
m&m grill on almeda cause its an arabic mexican restaurant and it owns
el cilantro taco truck on telephone at 45, which opens at four and you better know some spanish and have cash
cali sandwich shop on travis for the best banh mi and tofu dishes in town imo also their smoothies rule the mango one especially
burger park on mlk for a seriously old school burger experience, might also be cash only
the original kolache shop on telephone for breakfast, they have the best kolaches on the planet
tel wink grill on telephone for cool old diner vibe with no yuppies

All dece except I’ve never understood the love of Barnaby’s.

Also downtown, Rodeo Goat is on the opposite side but tasty and a bit better. Lankford’s used to be better than it is now.

Also, Ninfa’s on Navigation is close and good.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Captain Monkey posted:

Also downtown, Rodeo Goat is on the opposite side but tasty and a bit better. Lankford’s used to be better than it is now.

You’ve lost every bit of your credibility by recommending a Dallas restaurant, you have exposed your bias you monster

pains me to say, you are right though. Rodeo goat still one of the best burgers in the city, nowhere else does a crazy ingredient burger but does it in the exact right proportions that it just works

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress yeah I’m gonna eat good thank you, food angels

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just popping in to say that hopdoddy sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Holy gently caress hopdoddy sucks. Bad burgers, “okay” fries, way overrated.