Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The entire thing is supported by a chain of 1x2s and they're flexing them, badly. You can see the 1x2s in the second section he builds, right after he slides in the "wings".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If they used lots of different colours, it would be easier to see what was happening.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lego people (and Star Wars fandom in general) are predictably losing their loving minds over this “Boba Fett’s Starship” poo poo.

It ain’t real, folks. Boba Fett is a fictional character. If Disney wants to rename his ship to avoid referencing slavery in tyool 2021, then who the gently caress cares? Let them. It’s a made up spaceship flown by a made up character.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Sounds like the kind of thing you should be telling anyone that gets offended over the name of an imaginary space ship. :shrug: Better start coming up with a new name for brake parts if that's a concern.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 28, 2021

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

In the first season of The Mandalorian, did they ever explicitly name the ship via dialogue or display? If the set is supposed to appeal to kids whose first introduction to Boba Fett was via that series, they'd know it as 'Boba Fett's ship', not 'Slave 1'. The Razor Crest was at least introduced via dialogue, so that makes sense to be on the box.

Jorts ain't gonna cum themselves, I suppose.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

Sounds like the kind of thing you should be telling anyone that gets offended over the name of an imaginary space ship. :shrug: Better start coming up with a new name for brake parts if that's a concern.

it's incredible how many times you've complained about people talking politics in this thread but you literally can't stop yourself from posting stupid poo poo like this at every available opportunity

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

In the first season of The Mandalorian, did they ever explicitly name the ship via dialogue or display? If the set is supposed to appeal to kids whose first introduction to Boba Fett was via that series, they'd know it as 'Boba Fett's ship', not 'Slave 1'. The Razor Crest was at least introduced via dialogue, so that makes sense to be on the box.

Jorts ain't gonna cum themselves, I suppose.

Tatooine isn't named in dialogue in ANH and Ewoks aren't named in RotJ.

I'm fine with them changing / not using the name but kids can work this kind of thing out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lego people (and Star Wars fandom in general) are predictably losing their loving minds over this “Boba Fett’s Starship” poo poo.

It ain’t real, folks. Boba Fett is a fictional character. If Disney wants to rename his ship to avoid referencing slavery in tyool 2021, then who the gently caress cares? Let them. It’s a made up spaceship flown by a made up character.

I hadn't heard about this, are they actually renaming it or just omitting the name?
Also, other than death star, millennium falcon, and razor crest, do the ships get named on camera? I played a lot of the supplement games so I know about executor, Avenger, home one, and Majestic, but do most people?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

HootTheOwl posted:

I hadn't heard about this, are they actually renaming it or just omitting the name?
Also, other than death star, millennium falcon, and razor crest, do the ships get named on camera? I played a lot of the supplement games so I know about executor, Avenger, home one, and Majestic, but do most people?

It strikes me as a “Lego needs to print their boxes, so this will do for now” sort of solution - I’m guessing they’re gearing up for a Book of Boba Fett reveal of the name, but don’t want to spoil it.

Its a Star Wars name, so it has a 95% chance of being awful, whatever they decide.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captive I

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

The Ghost gets namedropped all the time in Rebels, but that's really an exception.

Hell I'm not 100% sure the X-Wing is named on screen in ANH.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Ghost gets namedropped all the time in Rebels, but that's really an exception.

Hell I'm not 100% sure the X-Wing is named on screen in ANH.

This made me curious so I CTRL-F'ed a transcript. All 93 mentions are in directional text, no dialogue. That's pretty weird! I guess it's a good way to make an item feel commonplace in a setting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tbh I always thought it was hilarious that Lego, of all companies was stuck with something called the "slave 1" The new one is clearly aimed way more at little kids than the last two. I think it would be a little weird if they did another UCS Slave 1 (probably not due for another decade anyways) and called it boba fetts starship though.

Edit: oh wait I guess Disney changed the name entirely. I'm sorry, I'm with them, that is dumb.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 28, 2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Disney is a hundred billion dollar media juggernaut. They know which way the wind is blowing and are adjusting accordingly.

Like their updated rides...
https://www.npr.org/2021/02/01/962772012/disney-revamps-jungle-cruise-ride-to-remove-racist-depictions-of-indigenous-peop

They've also been doing things like this forever. Like memory holing Song of the South.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 28, 2021

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the most recently released lego star wars game is so old it has blue tie fighters and yoda has the really hosed up looking head piece.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blue Moonlight posted:

It strikes me as a “Lego needs to print their boxes, so this will do for now” sort of solution - I’m guessing they’re gearing up for a Book of Boba Fett reveal of the name, but don’t want to spoil it.

Its a Star Wars name, so it has a 95% chance of being awful, whatever they decide.

This is my guess. Either it’ll stay Slave I and just never be mentioned directly in dialogue, or like you said they’re about to debut a new name but don’t want it plastered on packaging yet.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello my hot take is that it is both cool and good to stop using the word 'slave' to talk about a spaceship in a kid's franchise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boba Fett is a bad guy. It was a cool sounding name for a bad guy ship that people have been using for 40 years. I'm not going to have an online tantrum about the company that had enough money to make their fanfics canon changing it, but I'll continue to call it the Slave 1 just like everyone else on the planet will.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm gonna call it Boba Fett's Starship

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have fun being the guy insisting that it's the "Tantiveeee 4."

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Tantive's Frank

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

veni veni veni posted:

I literally just said I'm gonna call it Boba Fett's Starship. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From now on I am calling Chewbacca "Shaggy 2 Dope"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

This may be the stupidest Star Wars hill to die on that I've ever seen in my entire life.

The Tantive IV is a blockade runner in the same sense that a Corvette is a sports car. Calling it "the Blockade Runner" as if that were it's name is just calling it by a generic name for an entire subclass of vehicles, a subclass that the Tantive IV had to be modified to fit into. It's not even the only blockade runner in the movies it's in, or the blockade runner with the most screentime. That's the Millennium Falcon. Though the Millennium Falcon is built to be a cargo ship, and the modifications that make it capable of running blockades are akin to putting a stock car engine in a golf cart. The Tantive IV is more like a Civic, and the blockade running modifications are much more common.

But the Tantive IV is the vehicle's name, and if you're butthurt about that, call it a CR90 Corvette, which is the model.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought there’d been a big surprise reveal with 25 new posts, but nope. Star Wars ship naming discourse.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Surely there is a Star Wars thread to argue very passionately about the latest hallucinations and very important ships?

In Lego news, the flower set is on deck in our house, but the kiddo and I just finished 42121 “Heavy duty excavator” and it was a lot of fun to build. Kiddo, as you may recall, is very into mindstorms and so I wanted something technic that had a new motion she hadn’t already seen. A friend offhandedly suggested I look for something in the technic line with linear actuators and mentioned the somewhat elliptical motion they can add to things like the digging arm and this is honestly great.

You get two hand driven drivetrains to really fine tune the motions of the digging arm and the bucket is surprisingly durable. Real sand pits have been dug, in addition to very large piles of LEGO. There are even sections of panels that are approximately the size of the new motors, so kiddo is already thinking about modifying this into robo excavator the same way she modified the crane into robocrane.

A win.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
My daughter helped me build «the snail ship» so to me it is Snail 1

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Re Booboo Feet's Starship; frankly it's stupid to even bother discussing. We know what it is/was called when it was a baddie ship. If Disney changes it, well so be it. I suspect they will instead just drop the name completely.

What I want to know is the name of Mando's ship.

E; New mandalorian sets looking dope.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Oh and this also has treads, but Lego treads are kinda sad. Kiddo snapped them all together and then asked why they didn’t just give us a rubber belt.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

xzzy posted:

The pre-minifig microfighters were amazing builds too. I just love microscale, I wish I wasn't so trash at building it though.
The micro ATAT is adorable.

ChesterJT posted:

In a world where everything gets a name, a backstory and importance. Having something called "x's starship" is ridiculous.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm relabelling my motherboard so I can pretend slavery never happened.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The "microfighter" bantha is a pretty good bantha in its own right.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Darth TNT posted:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm relabelling my motherboard so I can pretend slavery never happened.
People have been asking you to do this for at least 16 years and honestly every BIOS I've built with already replaced it ten years ago.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
On the plus side, I now have a collector's item UCS Slave I.

On the minus side, it's a collector's item named Slave I.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Darth TNT posted:

Got me wondering if a lego set of a pc build would be cool. Scaled down a bit of course.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Inexcusable erasure. In protest I will only be spending $10000 (more) on lego and star wars crap this year

I never understood the love for Boba Fett, which was insane even back when it was just the original trilogy.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Didn't Fett first appear in the X-mas special? He was kinda cool and not yet a baddie there. Also kids love the cool baddie, same how Vader is popular despite choking out random people.

:can:

Someone on reddit pointed out a lot of the SW ships are not named, including the Mandalorian Fighter, and Bad Batch Shuttle.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The "microfighter" bantha is a pretty good bantha in its own right.

It's really cute! I wanted to get the microfighter Dewback but it had left shelves before I got the chance. I also have the Tauntaun now and the micro AT-AT looking like the puppy of the normal AT-AT on my shelf and they make me happy.

Having not watched any of the animated Star Wars series I was happy ignoring anything Lego related to them but I just downloaded some of the Bad Batch to watch on a few recent flights and it now looks like I'm gonna be needing their shuttle, FFS.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ChesterJT posted:

Got me wondering if a lego set of a pc build would be cool. Scaled down a bit of course.
Chris McVeigh, currently a LEGO designer, used to sell some. He still has the instructions on his site if you wanna source the parts. I have the original build of his My First Computer: DOS Edition that was displayed at the LEGO House sitting on my shelf - it's the crown jewel of my small collection.

https://www.chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_technology.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Darth TNT posted:

In a world where everything gets a name, a backstory and importance. Having something called "x's starship" is ridiculous.

What's the name of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle? I'll wait.