Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Before I found out bout the manga. I thought the anime had all gems use the same body type for design/motion capture reasons. Turns out it was being 100% faithful to the manga. In retrospect I'm fine with it. Everything looks exactly as it should.

The clinking sound as the gems move and interact with each other is a nice touch. As is Jades reaction when Rutile strikes her with the hammer. That scene was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I noticed that very small translation choices can make a big difference in the meaning.

In the manga. Padparadscha says that she wants Rutile to give up on putting her together. Because she doesn't want the good doctor to have to work so hard on her.

By all accounts Rutile cares deeply about Padparadscha and trying to save Padparadscha is a large part of her personal drive. Though Padparadscha doesn't want to be a burden. It's a sad but beautiful story

However in the anime Padparadscha says "I want Rutile to give up on this puzzle of mine. I don't wish to be a burden" Without the backstory and elaboration. It gives the impression that Padparadscha has lost the will to live on. But she doesn't want to hurt Rutiles feelings and so she lets herself me put back together over and over again. Which is a much darker tale.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 7, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm I suppose there is room for interpretation there. I wonder if the Japanese is the same between anime and manga in that scene and it was just interpreted differently by the translator? I wonder which is the more accurate translation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Today I decided to catch up on Houseki no Kuni :thonking:

I feel like a dummy because I'm not quite sure what was the point or theme behind all of that (other than human qualities really, really suck), but it's impressive that a story where everyone is so unlikeable is so enthralling

edit: The series could have ended this chapter and basically be a complete story, right?

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 9, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't know if I'd say that. The manga starts on a scale akin to a personal mystery (what's the deal with my weird gem family and our monk patriarch? why are moon people attacking? what is my purpose?) and evolves to become a systems/philosophical mystery.what is the purpose of Phos's suffering? can scapegoating all of the world's suffering onto Phos really lead to a happy ending? What does that imply about the nature of the world we're reading about? Is it cruel, benevolent, hopeful...? If the story ends here, it seems like an extremely cruel and bleak story.

my instinct is that the story needs to return to the personal scale of Phos's subjective experience so they can get some kind of inner peace, or at least resolution, before the story ends.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cephas posted:

I don't know if I'd say that. The manga starts on a scale akin to a personal mystery (what's the deal with my weird gem family and our monk patriarch? why are moon people attacking? what is my purpose?) and evolves to become a systems/philosophical mystery.what is the purpose of Phos's suffering? can scapegoating all of the world's suffering onto Phos really lead to a happy ending? What does that imply about the nature of the world we're reading about? Is it cruel, benevolent, hopeful...? If the story ends here, it seems like an extremely cruel and bleak story.

my instinct is that the story needs to return to the personal scale of Phos's subjective experience so they can get some kind of inner peace, or at least resolution, before the story ends.

Honestly yeah that is kinda what upsets me most about the whole thing. Everyone gets a happy ending complete with literally reuniting in heaven and it only took torturing an innocent soul for thousands of years.

Two thematic things I still don't get: what is the point of Cairngorm and Achemea's everything? What was with the parallels between Sensei and Achemea, with the latter stealing the former's face petting move? Is it all a red herring?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cephas posted:

A disturbing amount of people believe Phos deserved everything because she went against Sensei or some other belief of that nature, when a lot of the issues stemmed from Sensei never being forthright about the Lunarians true nature or what was his hand in the whole subject matter. I very much agree on the personal scale of Phos's experience as well as her achieving some personal heaven/nirvana or whatnot in the end for it to be satisfactory for me. Otherwise yeah it feels like the entire world dumping all of it's sins, pain, and suffering receipts all on an unsuspecting scapegoat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The whole story seems to be leading to a metaphor on enlightenment and Phos's whole journey is part of the suffering that is part of existence. Once that is overcome, they will find enlightenment (whatever form that takes in this series). The story is heavy in it themes of Buddhism including in the materials that Phos becomes composed of being the same as the Seven Treasures/Saptaratna/shichi-ho/Qibao

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Buddhist influence on the series' storytelling permeates basically all levels of it. It's an extremely Buddhist series.
So why exactly does Phos have to suffer? Because to suffer is human and to be alive. Existence is suffering. Plot-wise, Phos needs to be Human to be able to pray and give Adamant the order to allow the Lunarian's souls to move on and cease existence, so their suffering is part of Aechmea's plan.
The lunarians are basically 'higher souls who live on a higher plane (the moon,) and spend all their time partying or fighting' so they're basically devas. Devas are at a disadvantage when it comes to escaping the cycle of reincarnation - they accumulated too much good karma in their life without achieving enlightenment, so they get rewarded for their good deeds, basically, with a cushy, easy life... but those are also distractions from enlightenment just as bad as danger and pain, so they'll likely never become a buddha.
The gems and admiribilis also feel like they're representatives of the human and animal realms of existence - where the latter is simply that it's a lot harder to be enlightened as an animal, and since they've been 'domesticated' by the lunarians before, they've got some animal vibes. The human realm of existence is considered to be the best one for achieving enlightenment with the overall low level of distractions (it's not too comfortable nor is it too dangerous) which goes well with how the gems spend the vast majority of their time on the island just kind of doing nothing or looking for ways to distract themselves. In a way, the gems squander their gift of relative comfort.

Adamant is basically a machine bodhisattva - someone who could reach enlightenment themselves, but chooses not to do so to assist others do so instead, with the caveat that as a machine, they can never actually reach it themselves anyway.

Phosphophyllite, who is now aware of all levels of existence, who has basically been in agony all conscious hours of the past however knows how long, is the closest thing to a human in the setting. And they have thrown away every personal connection to every person they've ever known, is the most human person in the series, but probably has much, much more suffering to go until they actually reach that point. The numbers and timescales in Buddhism are Extremely Large.

I don't know why y'all are spoiler tagging when the series has been on hiatus for a year and generally speaking everyone in this thread would've read up to then.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

mdct posted:

The Buddhist influence on the series' storytelling permeates basically all levels of it. It's an extremely Buddhist series.
So why exactly does Phos have to suffer? Because to suffer is human and to be alive. Existence is suffering. Plot-wise, Phos needs to be Human to be able to pray and give Adamant the order to allow the Lunarian's souls to move on and cease existence, so their suffering is part of Aechmea's plan.
The lunarians are basically 'higher souls who live on a higher plane (the moon,) and spend all their time partying or fighting' so they're basically devas. Devas are at a disadvantage when it comes to escaping the cycle of reincarnation - they accumulated too much good karma in their life without achieving enlightenment, so they get rewarded for their good deeds, basically, with a cushy, easy life... but those are also distractions from enlightenment just as bad as danger and pain, so they'll likely never become a buddha.
The gems and admiribilis also feel like they're representatives of the human and animal realms of existence - where the latter is simply that it's a lot harder to be enlightened as an animal, and since they've been 'domesticated' by the lunarians before, they've got some animal vibes. The human realm of existence is considered to be the best one for achieving enlightenment with the overall low level of distractions (it's not too comfortable nor is it too dangerous) which goes well with how the gems spend the vast majority of their time on the island just kind of doing nothing or looking for ways to distract themselves. In a way, the gems squander their gift of relative comfort.

Adamant is basically a machine bodhisattva - someone who could reach enlightenment themselves, but chooses not to do so to assist others do so instead, with the caveat that as a machine, they can never actually reach it themselves anyway.

Phosphophyllite, who is now aware of all levels of existence, who has basically been in agony all conscious hours of the past however knows how long, is the closest thing to a human in the setting. And they have thrown away every personal connection to every person they've ever known, is the most human person in the series, but probably has much, much more suffering to go until they actually reach that point. The numbers and timescales in Buddhism are Extremely Large.

I don't know why y'all are spoiler tagging when the series has been on hiatus for a year and generally speaking everyone in this thread would've read up to then.

With the addition of the The Roost to Animal Crossing on Switch, I don't think the series will EVER get back on track any time soon.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
The lunarians from times long past were able to line up and a few of them would be relieved of existence each day by Adamant, but to determine who got to be in line, they imposed a caste system. Aechmea decided to give up his high position in lunarian society to become a leader of the "trash" lunarians, who lived in a state of madness, tearing each other apart and regenerating each day (according to chapter 89). I think the Lunarians end up being a bit like both devas and hell beings (the lowest ones are "trash" and are ruled by Aechmea, whose secret name is Enma). So Aechmea ends up being very much aligned with Adamant, because Adamant is a manifestation of Ksitigarbha bodhisattva, who vowed to forgo his own enlightenment until the hells were all emptied of sinners, and Aechmea is Enma, serving as the administrator of hell.

Cairngorm is like... I think Ghost Quartz was a pretty serious person? So Cairngorm was this deep, strong desire that lived inside of them that wanted to come out. Cairngorm is the first gem to become human-like, because they fully renounce the Ghost Quartz part of themself and decide they want their own identity. Cairn seems like the first gem to develop a sense of gender identity, and sexuality, and desire for physical comforts. Their renunciation of the person they used to be in favor of reinventing themselves for the sake of physical pleasures puts them at odds with Phos, who is forced to grow and transform over the course of the story. Cairn wants to be rid of the Ghost Quartz part of themself, and live life as a pampered bad bitch princess. Phos can't let go of Antarcticite, and their desires are existential, not physical: Phos sees themself, and the world around them, as lacking. Phos wants a role, and wants to restore Antarcticite and save Cinnabar, and eventually wants to bring the curtain down on the world. So Phos is very much an idealist who finds both themself and the world lacking in anything worthwhile. Basically, the opposite of Cairngorm, who seems to have no philosophical worries whatsoever, and just wants to live a sensuous life and embrace the self that has finally emerged out of Ghost Quartz's shell.

The internal logic of the metaphysics in the story is pretty complicated. But I think maybe, like... Adamant is a machine bodhisattva, created by humans, to bring about their salvation as humanity began to decline. Humans are capable of enlightenment and of purifying the dead, but the meteors that struck the planet destroyed humans, and their aggregate parts reconstituted in the disparate forms of bone, flesh, and spirit. The separate beings are not capable of enlightenment or purification on their own. Adamant was the exception. He could release lunarians from their eternal forms. But because he was damaged by the meteor strikes (Caused by his brother?) that struck the planet, he became incapable of releasing the rest of the lunarian society.

It seems implied that Adamant's "flaw" is that he gained a small amount of desire for the companionship of the gems. Because they reminded him of his human companions, and he nurtured and cared for them, Adamant became incapable of wishing for the dissipation all forms of life.

On the moon, Aechmea was an exemplary individual who decided to take matters into his own hands to bring about the release of lunarians from stagnant eternal life. He surmised that the best way to do it would be to destroy the gems, thus depriving Adamant of the source of his desire for companionship. But once Phos entered the picture, and it became clear that Adamant was broken beyond repair, Aechmea realized that it might instead be possible to replace Adamant with Phos.

Basically, both Adamant and Aechmea realized that Lunarians were relying on Adamant for salvation. He had gone from being their savior to being an obstacle to their salvation. So both of them surmised that it would be better for bone/flesh/spirit to reunite, and become human, and become able to reach enlightenment on its own. They both realize the solution: "If you meet the Buddha, kill him." Adamant recognizes Phos as a human, and thus as his heir in having the power to pray. He instructs Phos to wholeheartedly pray for happiness.

The cliffhanger we're waiting on is that Phos has become human, but they're in a really lovely place right now, and it's evidently going to take them 10,000 years before they reach a point where they can wholeheartedly pray for happiness.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cephas posted:

The lunarians from times long past were able to line up and a few of them would be relieved of existence each day by Adamant, but to determine who got to be in line, they imposed a caste system. Aechmea decided to give up his high position in lunarian society to become a leader of the "trash" lunarians, who lived in a state of madness, tearing each other apart and regenerating each day (according to chapter 89). I think the Lunarians end up being a bit like both devas and hell beings (the lowest ones are "trash" and are ruled by Aechmea, whose secret name is Enma). So Aechmea ends up being very much aligned with Adamant, because Adamant is a manifestation of Ksitigarbha bodhisattva, who vowed to forgo his own enlightenment until the hells were all emptied of sinners, and Aechmea is Enma, serving as the administrator of hell.

Cairngorm is like... I think Ghost Quartz was a pretty serious person? So Cairngorm was this deep, strong desire that lived inside of them that wanted to come out. Cairngorm is the first gem to become human-like, because they fully renounce the Ghost Quartz part of themself and decide they want their own identity. Cairn seems like the first gem to develop a sense of gender identity, and sexuality, and desire for physical comforts. Their renunciation of the person they used to be in favor of reinventing themselves for the sake of physical pleasures puts them at odds with Phos, who is forced to grow and transform over the course of the story. Cairn wants to be rid of the Ghost Quartz part of themself, and live life as a pampered bad bitch princess. Phos can't let go of Antarcticite, and their desires are existential, not physical: Phos sees themself, and the world around them, as lacking. Phos wants a role, and wants to restore Antarcticite and save Cinnabar, and eventually wants to bring the curtain down on the world. So Phos is very much an idealist who finds both themself and the world lacking in anything worthwhile. Basically, the opposite of Cairngorm, who seems to have no philosophical worries whatsoever, and just wants to live a sensuous life and embrace the self that has finally emerged out of Ghost Quartz's shell.

The internal logic of the metaphysics in the story is pretty complicated. But I think maybe, like... Adamant is a machine bodhisattva, created by humans, to bring about their salvation as humanity began to decline. Humans are capable of enlightenment and of purifying the dead, but the meteors that struck the planet destroyed humans, and their aggregate parts reconstituted in the disparate forms of bone, flesh, and spirit. The separate beings are not capable of enlightenment or purification on their own. Adamant was the exception. He could release lunarians from their eternal forms. But because he was damaged by the meteor strikes (Caused by his brother?) that struck the planet, he became incapable of releasing the rest of the lunarian society.

It seems implied that Adamant's "flaw" is that he gained a small amount of desire for the companionship of the gems. Because they reminded him of his human companions, and he nurtured and cared for them, Adamant became incapable of wishing for the dissipation all forms of life.

On the moon, Aechmea was an exemplary individual who decided to take matters into his own hands to bring about the release of lunarians from stagnant eternal life. He surmised that the best way to do it would be to destroy the gems, thus depriving Adamant of the source of his desire for companionship. But once Phos entered the picture, and it became clear that Adamant was broken beyond repair, Aechmea realized that it might instead be possible to replace Adamant with Phos.

Basically, both Adamant and Aechmea realized that Lunarians were relying on Adamant for salvation. He had gone from being their savior to being an obstacle to their salvation. So both of them surmised that it would be better for bone/flesh/spirit to reunite, and become human, and become able to reach enlightenment on its own. They both realize the solution: "If you meet the Buddha, kill him." Adamant recognizes Phos as a human, and thus as his heir in having the power to pray. He instructs Phos to wholeheartedly pray for happiness.

The cliffhanger we're waiting on is that Phos has become human, but they're in a really lovely place right now, and it's evidently going to take them 10,000 years before they reach a point where they can wholeheartedly pray for happiness.

I think I can see it now. I could recognize Cairngorm as another example of how the gems are actually capable of extreme character development, like Phos, but while Phos gets closer to ENLIGHTENMENT, Cairngorm becomes more hedonistic. I guess you can say Cairngorm also became more human, but in a superficial way. You could probably bring up how they literally wanted to become a lunarian (i.e. human-ish) too. There is something unnerving about their relationship with Aechmea, but maybe they really are a gross schmoopy couple.

re: Adamant I interpreted it as he couldn't pray partly because he loved the gems too much to want them to die, partly because he became human-ish himself and has a Can't Self Terminate clause written something in there (which is why he couldn't destroy himself until Phos ordered him to). But I guess he must have literally broke at some point too based on the backstory and what Aechmea ends up doing.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I am amazed how interesting a character Antarcticite is for how little time they spent on the show.

Meanwhile do you think geologists ever curse this show for hijacking all gem related google results?

I'm not into figurines but this one was neat.

Probably breaks incredibly easy if you have a cat :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That's true for most figures though.

On regards to the hiatus, I'm sure the author is trying to figure out how to finish things up for chapter 108 because of how special that number is

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Could someone kindly spoil this for me and just tell me what happens to Padparadscha and Rutile? Do they get a happy ending?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The manga isn't over yet so we can't say for sure

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Oh, I was sure the Japanese manga had been wrapped up.

I read the English manga all the way to Phos begging Kongo to pray. But I don't know if it came further than that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The manga's unfortunately been on an extended hiatus over a year long at this point.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Just some artwork I thought was neat.

I thought this one was amazing until I realized the head was separated, and I thought that was a bit creepy. The art style is still amazing though.

I have no idea what all the butterflies mean.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I hope this series returns :ohdear:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://i.imgur.com/6K9EbmB.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/1Mfz2ec.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Jx2EvKK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/yFMMs7q.mp4

How many episodes were they in? 2?

Why are they so memorable? Maybe it's a thing about loyalty and sacrifice.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1527651951214743553?t=HzvfAoCOoNE90uiQyw8-Iw&s=19

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Fantastic news

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Finally, after ten thousand years...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Just wait til the next Animal Crossing update or for Splatoon 3 to drop.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Have just chugged the show and manga this week, hell yes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It sure felt like ten thousand years.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Thank god its back. Give me season 2 as well

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

poor phos's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day eternity must go on

boredsatellite posted:

Give me season 2 as well

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Chapter 96: 10,000 Years
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/hYhqG7b/1/1/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can't recognize a single gem with no colors and different hair styles.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

I can't recognize a single gem with no colors and different hair styles.

honestly i think that's kind of the point

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That's the classic phos suffering I've been missing

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The full body coating of the gold/platinum amalgam is an incredibly rad look. Phos looks cooler the more everything sucks.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I feel so bad for Yellow Diamond,but at least she has her old partners with her. Bort still caring about jellyfishes is cute too, but other than them, I kinda hate all the other gems.

I wonder if that is intentional, if we're supposed to root for Phos to get revenge, when the true solution would be for them to reach enlightenment and stop caring about the lunarians.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I find it hard to hate the other gems, because Aechmea's plan of alienating the others from Phos has been such an overwhelming success to the point that Phos' existence has been little more than a weird/terrifying couple of days every few centuries to the other gems.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Wow, Ichikawa's art has really entered some awesome new territory

The ultimate goal is (supposedly) still for Phos to reach a point where they can wish the Lunarians out of existence, right?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's been so long since I read it but yeah originally Phos was just going to become human enough to tell Kongo to do it but he was too broken even for that, so now it's Phos' job while Literally Every Other Existence In The World parties it up on the moon. There's definitely going to be some kind of reckoning after the 10k is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
As if that little private silence were the signal, all at once a trumpet sounds from the pavilion near the starting line: imperious, melancholy, piercing. The horses rear on their slender legs, and some of them neigh in answer. Sober-faced, the young riders stroke the horses' necks and soothe them, whispering. "Quiet, quiet, there my beauty, my hope..." They begin to form in rank along the starting line. The crowds along the racecourse are like a field of grass and flowers in the wind. The Festival of Summer has begun.

Do you believe? Do you accept the festival, the city, the joy? No? Then let me describe one more thing.

In a basement under one of the beautiful public buildings of Omelas, or perhaps in the cellar of one of its spacious private homes, there is a room. It has one locked door, and no window. A little light seeps in dustily between cracks in the boards, secondhand from a cobwebbed window somewhere across the cellar. In one corner of the little room a couple of mops, with stiff, clotted, foul-smelling heads, stand near a rusty bucket. The floor is dirt, a little damp to the touch, as cellar dirt usually is.

The room is about three paces long and two wide: a mere broom closet or disused tool room. In the room, a child is sitting. It could be a boy or a girl. It looks about six, but actually is nearly ten. It is feeble-minded. Perhaps it was born defective, or perhaps it has become imbecile through fear, malnutrition, and neglect. It picks its nose and occasionally fumbles vaguely with its toes or genitals, as it sits hunched in the corner farthest from the bucket and the two mops. It is afraid of the mops. It finds them horrible. It shuts its eyes, but it knows the mops are still standing there; and the door is locked; and nobody will come. The door is always locked; and nobody ever comes, except that sometimes--the child has no understanding of time or interval--sometimes the door rattles terribly and opens, and a person, or several people, are there. One of them may come in and kick the child to make it stand up. The others never come close, but peer in at it with frightened, disgusted eyes. The food bowl and the water jug are hastily filled, the door is locked; the eyes disappear. The people at the door never say anything, but the child, who has not always lived in the tool room, and can remember sunlight and its mother's voice, sometimes speaks. "I will be good, " it says. "Please let me out. I will be good!" They never answer. The child used to scream for help at night, and cry a good deal, but now it only makes a kind of whining, "eh-haa, eh-haa," and it speaks less and less often. It is so thin there are no calves to its legs; its belly protrudes; it lives on a half-bowl of corn meal and grease a day. It is naked. Its buttocks and thighs are a mass of festered sores, as it sits in its own excrement continually.

They all know it is there, all the people of Omelas. Some of them have come to see it, others are content merely to know it is there. They all know that it has to be there. Some of them understand why, and some do not, but they all understand that their happiness, the beauty of their city, the tenderness of their friendships, the health of their children, the wisdom of their scholars, the skill of their makers, even the abundance of their harvest and the kindly weathers of their skies, depend wholly on this child's abominable misery.

This is usually explained to children when they are between eight and twelve, whenever they seem capable of understanding; and most of those who come to see the child are young people, though often enough an adult comes, or comes back, to see the child. No matter how well the matter has been explained to them, these young spectators are always shocked and sickened at the sight. They feel disgust, which they had thought themselves superior to. They feel anger, outrage, impotence, despite all the explanations. They would like to do something for the child. But there is nothing they can do. If the child were brought up into the sunlight out of that vile place, if it were cleaned and fed and comforted, that would be a good thing, indeed; but if it were done, in that day and hour all the prosperity and beauty and delight of Omelas would wither and be destroyed. Those are the terms. To exchange all the goodness and grace of every life in Omelas for that single, small improvement: to throw away the happiness of thousands for the chance of happiness of one: that would be to let guilt within the walls indeed.

The terms are strict and absolute; there may not even be a kind word spoken to the child.

Often the young people go home in tears, or in a tearless rage, when they have seen the child and faced this terrible paradox. They may brood over it for weeks or years. But as time goes on they begin to realize that even if the child could be released, it would not get much good of its freedom: a little vague pleasure of warmth and food, no real doubt, but little more. It is too degraded and imbecile to know any real joy. It has been afraid too long ever to be free of fear. Its habits are too uncouth for it to respond to humane treatment. Indeed, after so long it would probably be wretched without walls about it to protect it, and darkness for its eyes, and its own excrement to sit in. Their tears at the bitter injustice dry when they begin to perceive the terrible justice of reality, and to accept it. Yet it is their tears and anger, the trying of their generosity and the acceptance of their helplessness, which are perhaps the true source of the splendor of their lives. Theirs is no vapid, irresponsible happiness. They know that they, like the child, are not free. They know compassion. It is the existence of the child, and their knowledge of its existence, that makes possible the nobility of their architecture, the poignancy of their music, the profundity of their science. It is because of the child that they are so gentle with children. They know that if the wretched one were not there sniveling in the dark, the other one, the flute-player, could make no joyful music as the young riders line up in their beauty for the race in the sunlight of the first morning of summer.

Now do you believe them? Are they not more credible? But there is one more thing to tell, and this is quite incredible.

At times one of the adolescent girls or boys who go see the child does not go home to weep or rage, does not, in fact, go home at all. Sometimes also a man or a woman much older falls silent for a day or two, then leaves home. These people go out into the street, and walk down the street alone. They keep walking, and walk straight out of the city of Omelas, through the beautiful gates. They keep walking across the farmlands of Omelas. Each one goes alone, youth or girl, man or woman.

Night falls; the traveler must pass down village streets, between the houses with yellow- lit windows, and on out into the darkness of the fields. Each alone, they go west or north, towards the mountains. They go on. They leave Omelas, they walk ahead into the darkness, and they do not come back. The place they go towards is a place even less imaginable to most of us than the city of happiness. I cannot describe it at all. It is possible that it does not exist. But they seem to know where they are going, the ones who walk away from Omelas.