Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I've got maybe a simple question but it's one I have never had to really consider before and I have had "build a real workbench for my garage" on my mind for months because I think it'll make all my other projects easier to do, so I'll do them.

On a workbench, what is the purpose of aprons? Are they for the stability of the workbench? Are they just for you to put holes in to attach things? Tell me all about workbenches, please. I have seen plenty of videos about how to build a workbench, and I'm trying to figure out the best workbench design for me to build. The space I have will only accommodate about 4 or 5 feet of length, and it'll need to be up against a wall. I've learned enough about the kinds of joinery to use, but in terms of the features they should include after a sturdy flat surface, dogholes (and/or t-track) and a vise or two, I feel like there are some things I am ignorant about, particularly in the case of aprons. Every video on this mentions having big aprons as though that's a selling point and I don't understand why.

I would recommend you read The Anarchist Workbench, there is a free PDF online https://blog.lostartpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/AWB_Consumer_June-2020_v5.1-1.pdf It goes into good detail on different bench features and tells you how to build a sweet bench.

Alternatively read the the book The Workbench Design Book: The Art & Philosophy of Building Better Benches, also by Christopher Schwarz. There is plenty of overlap with the above but this one has plans for a bunch of different bench types and goes into pros/cons of different forms.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aprons are for rigidity. If you don't have a thick top, you need to get it some other way, and aprons create what's basically a torsion box (like a ribcage or airplane wing). That allows you to have a strong and rigid bench without having to use a ton of wood to make a thick top which would otherwise get you that strength, and as such, are (much) cheaper and easier to build. Chris Schwartz's older Workbenches book goes into it some more when he talks about the (knockdown) Nicholson (so named because the design first appeared in Nicholson's early 19th century book, they're also know as a (English) joiners bench) benches there, but I don't know if you can still get that book. So basically, a material efficient way to get the required strength for a workbench.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Speaking of benches... Mine is thick and heavy - top is glued up 2x4 and the legs are also glued up 2x4. But every time I plane something, it walks across the basement floor. Anything I can do about that?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of benches... Mine is thick and heavy - top is glued up 2x4 and the legs are also glued up 2x4. But every time I plane something, it walks across the basement floor. Anything I can do about that?

Put something non-slip under it the legs? cork or rubber? Is it just an open base? Mine sounds less beefy than yours, but i have all my hand tools stored in the base which adds lots of weight. You could anchor the bench to a sheet of plywood, and situate the plywood so that you are standing on it while working, so there's the extra weight of yourself essentially added to the bench base.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Lubricate your plane sole. Seriously, first time I did it I drat near threw my plane across the shop. Planing takes some efforts, but if you're pushing your bench chances are you're trying too hard.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Stultus Maximus posted:

How are your legs assembled and attached? If the legs aren't rigid the workbench will try to walk no matter how heavy it is. If the legs are good then either more weight or

NomNomNom posted:

Lubricate your plane sole. Seriously, first time I did it I drat near threw my plane across the shop. Planing takes some efforts, but if you're pushing your bench chances are you're trying too hard.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think from 1.5-2 inches thick is what I am looking for, and it can be all one species of wood, the fanciest I might get is if I make some stripes if I used 2. I just want a nice genera purpose cutting board.

Nice general purpose? Use one wood. Pick one that you are confident in making flat enough to stick together tightly. Using the long grain will be easier than trying end grain and will look groovy still. Only suggestion is try to aim all the grain in the same direction for when you're surfacing and finishing. It'll make it easier to manage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I would recommend you read The Anarchist Workbench, there is a free PDF online https://blog.lostartpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/AWB_Consumer_June-2020_v5.1-1.pdf It goes into good detail on different bench features and tells you how to build a sweet bench.

Alternatively read the the book The Workbench Design Book: The Art & Philosophy of Building Better Benches, also by Christopher Schwarz. There is plenty of overlap with the above but this one has plans for a bunch of different bench types and goes into pros/cons of different forms.

Just Winging It posted:

Aprons are for rigidity. If you don't have a thick top, you need to get it some other way, and aprons create what's basically a torsion box (like a ribcage or airplane wing). That allows you to have a strong and rigid bench without having to use a ton of wood to make a thick top which would otherwise get you that strength, and as such, are (much) cheaper and easier to build. Chris Schwartz's older Workbenches book goes into it some more when he talks about the (knockdown) Nicholson (so named because the design first appeared in Nicholson's early 19th century book, they're also know as a (English) joiners bench) benches there, but I don't know if you can still get that book. So basically, a material efficient way to get the required strength for a workbench.

Thanks for the answers and resources! Now I get why I see a correlation between aprons and tool wells

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think from 1.5-2 inches thick is what I am looking for, and it can be all one species of wood, the fanciest I might get is if I make some stripes if I used 2. I just want a nice genera purpose cutting board.
Cherry and maple are my two favorite woods for cutting boards. Both are hard, dense and (more importantly) close grained. They look nice mixed together too-a few maple stripes in a cherry board or vice versa. If you rip a 2" thick board into 2" wide strips, you can turn the pieces so you get straight quarter/rift sawn grain on the whole board for a nice consistent look that also is more stable than wider boards. Wide boards are okay too if you don't leave it sitting flat on the counter all the time. Endgrain is nice but its a whole lot fo gluing and a whole lot of sanding to get it flat, and unless you've got super knife skills and super knives, I'm not sure there's a ton of benefit.

Stultus Maximus posted:

My big damned roubo is heavy af but I still stuck it to the 3/4 OSB it sits on with 2 metal corner brackets like Meow Meow Meow suggested. As an added bonus it's a bit more comfortable than standing straight on the concrete, and if I drop a tool it hits wood and everything is fine instead of hitting concrete and breaking.

I'm normally not an OSB fan but I think here it's a little squishier and stable than plywood. In front of my lathe I did basically the same thing but put some 3/4" strips of wood under the OSB to make it sprung a bit and it's much more comfortable. If you made sure you had blocking under the legs of the bench it would work fine there too.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

I've always waxed my plane soles, but for some reason never thought to wax my plow plane until yesterday. Wow, I could plow a groove twice as fast with half the effort.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I've always waxed my plane soles, but for some reason never thought to wax my plow plane until yesterday. Wow, I could plow a groove twice as fast with half the effort.

I used paste wax on my planes for a long time. I've recently switched to using 3-in-1 oil on them. They glide as slick as poo poo through a goose and I notice less rusting.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

an oil rag-in-a-can is an excellent shop tool, I use that poo poo on everything. a 9 minute video feels kinda overkill for 'stuff a rag in a can, load it up with oil' but paul sellers loves detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKo1y2e8RI

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Bloody posted:

an oil rag-in-a-can is an excellent shop tool, I use that poo poo on everything. a 9 minute video feels kinda overkill for 'stuff a rag in a can, load it up with oil' but paul sellers loves detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKo1y2e8RI

I poo poo you not, that video was why I switched.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

For lubrication, I use a chunk of paraffin, like you get at the grocery store canning aisle. I also have some oily rags that I wipe everything down with when I'm putting it back into the toolchest, to remove wood dust and give a little rust protection.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Rag in a can is the way, it is life. Try it on your saw plate next!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wonder how much longer you'll find paraffin in the canning aisle? It's been considered dangerous (and not recommended in canning books) for a couple of decades. Last time I looked, they didn't carry Ivory at all.

I haven't ever done any woodworking, and I want to scrape some wood clean of finish. My plan had been a couple of card scrapers. After reading, I find that I need to be able to raise a burr on the edge, and also to re-flatten and raise a burr again. I don't and won't have a workbench; we won't have a garage, attic, or crawl space. I will have a couple of sawhorses, so a temporary setup would be okay.

I thought my best bet might be this gadget from Lee Valley to hold the scraper perpendicular so that I can file and burnish it. Is there a simpler solution?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nthing rag in a can. Works perfectly and does a great job of keeping rust away. I wrote my chisels on it too, along with any other bare steel handtool.

Nice when burnishing card scrapers too, super convenient to just swipe the burnisher over it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hypnolobster posted:

Nthing rag in a can. Works perfectly and does a great job of keeping rust away. I wrote my chisels on it too, along with any other bare steel handtool.

Nice when burnishing card scrapers too, super convenient to just swipe the burnisher over it.

What keeps it from spontaneously catching fire? I was severely warned, as a child, about the risk of greasy rags.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What keeps it from spontaneously catching fire? I was severely warned, as a child, about the risk of greasy rags.

Petroleum-based oils won't spontaneously combust because they're saturated hydrocarbons. Vegetable oils, like linseed oil, will because they are unsaturated, which is where the oxygen attacks and starts breaking them down.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Exothermically curing oils like linseed oil are the ones that catch fire when you leave rags soaked with them balled up because the heat generated by the curing will build up and eventually ignite the rag. Oils used for lubrication don't cure like that so they don't catch fire.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder how much longer you'll find paraffin in the canning aisle? It's been considered dangerous (and not recommended in canning books) for a couple of decades. Last time I looked, they didn't carry Ivory at all.

I haven't ever done any woodworking, and I want to scrape some wood clean of finish. My plan had been a couple of card scrapers. After reading, I find that I need to be able to raise a burr on the edge, and also to re-flatten and raise a burr again. I don't and won't have a workbench; we won't have a garage, attic, or crawl space. I will have a couple of sawhorses, so a temporary setup would be okay.

I thought my best bet might be this gadget from Lee Valley to hold the scraper perpendicular so that I can file and burnish it. Is there a simpler solution?

How big is the thing you are trying to scrape? Using a scraper on something propped on sawhorses is probably not going to be very much fun. It takes a good bit of pressure and you might knock the sawhorses over.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I use a piece of beeswax, but now I need to try an oily rag.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This Lee Valley jig is actually to hold a file and not the scraper. If you don't have a vice, I'd say the easiest solution is to clamp your scraper to something, like a table, a counter, a chunk of wood, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, tell us (or even better show us) the wood you want to remove the finish from. You may be better off with a chemical stripper; or, sanding; or, we may scream "dear god no don't."

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I got plenty last year from W*lm*rt canning peach chutney. They have a shitload of it. This is the first I've seen describing it as dangerous.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Anyone have an offcut of alder sitting around that they wouldn't mind selling me so I don't have to drop $20 on shipping to get a single bdft

Could not find alder at a single local lumberyard

Sockser fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 29, 2021

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You don’t need a gadget to sharpen a scraper. All you really need is a sharpening stone and a burnisher. And you don’t use the stones much after the initial sharpening. You will constantly be honing the edge with the burnisher.

This is a good video on sharpening scrapers.

https://youtu.be/Nz6EpQu2HRo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

I got plenty last year from W*lm*rt canning peach chutney. They have a shitload of it. This is the first I've seen describing it as dangerous.
It turns out the paraffin sometimes doesn't seal out mold (we've all had a bubble or two underneath), and the mold can be dangerous.

There are lots of things in canning that my folks did (gah, that stove with one vat boiling jam, one vat boiling water and jars, one vat melted paraffin) that aren't recommended any more, because we've learned subtler ways canned goods can make you sick. And a chutney should be boiling-water processed anyway.

I'll put up pictures of the stuff I'm stripping once I'm in my new house. It's mostly run-of-the-mill Colonial Revival with water stains. I was under the impression that after they reformulated strippers to take out methylene chloride, they weren't nearly as effective.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 29, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was under the impression that after they reformulated strippers to take out methylene chloride, they weren't nearly as effective.
Well, they weren’t all that effective even with the methylene chloride. Unless you get the really hot industrial stuff in a 55gal drum, pretty much all strippers suck. If they’re hot enough to strip easily they tend to damage the wood or glue, and if they don’t damage those then then don’t strip all that well.

Ease of stripping depends a ton on the type of finish. Shellac comes off real easy, old nitrocellulose lacquer isn’t too bad even with the neutered stripper, but polyurethane or catalyzed lacquer or god forbid polyester or epoxy fuckin suck even with the strong stuff. Stripping is no fun. Using a scraper to strip isn’t much more fun and is a whole lot more physical work to boot.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Defeated, I moved onto the upper piece, and started out right by drilling the 3.5 inch hole saw holes. Turns out the hole fits the cup really well at the lower base. I ended up using that as the top piece, keeping the dumb hole bottom piece (where the cups couldn't go down more than 1/4 inch), and then cut some posts to space the top and bottom pieces. It works OK, but it looks a little like Homer's spice rack now.

gently caress your stupid story, did you make this immaculate replica or not??

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Well, they weren’t all that effective even with the methylene chloride. Unless you get the really hot industrial stuff in a 55gal drum, pretty much all strippers suck. If they’re hot enough to strip easily they tend to damage the wood or glue, and if they don’t damage those then then don’t strip all that well.

Ease of stripping depends a ton on the type of finish. Shellac comes off real easy, old nitrocellulose lacquer isn’t too bad even with the neutered stripper, but polyurethane or catalyzed lacquer or god forbid polyester or epoxy fuckin suck even with the strong stuff. Stripping is no fun. Using a scraper to strip isn’t much more fun and is a whole lot more physical work to boot.

All of the furniture involved, except the kitchen table, is pre-1960 and probably earlier. It's very unlikely to be polyurethane. I don't know when catalyzed lacquers date to.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

... pretty much all strippers suck. If they’re hot enough to strip...

Nobody?!?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

All of the furniture involved, except the kitchen table, is pre-1960 and probably earlier. It's very unlikely to be polyurethane. I don't know when catalyzed lacquers date to.
The pre-1960 stuff is probably just nitrocellulose lacquer and shouldn’t be too bad to strip. How bad is the finish? Padding lacquer/french polish works really well to restore old lacquer finishes, and paste wax can work wonders too. You can get amalgamator too that basically melts the lacquer again so it can flow back out smooth. Unless it is really badly cracked, it can probably be cleaned, scuff sanded and re-coated. If the finish can be restored instead of stripped/refinished it will be a lot less work and probably leave a better finish in the end.

Mamma always told me to go to college so I wouldn’t have to strip but :eng99:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
On the topic of workbenches, in particular after reading The Anarchist Workbench, is there any functional problem with dying wood used in a benchtop? Been playing with purpleheart, it's pretty neat and all that, but can't help but think a dye would be easier to work with and maybe 100 times cheaper.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

We don't strip because we need to, we strip because we want to. :tutbutt:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone in this thread linked this channel a while back for restoration. His most recent video is about french polish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoX1ZNiGfPs

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I am debating trying to build some cabinets and bookshelves as an entertainment center... Thing for my living room. I like the look of Baltic birch edge grain. In addition, being able to buy prefinished sheets seems like it would be pretty convenient.

The wall I would be building it on is about 187" long. I think I wouldn't want to run the cabinets completely to the edge of the wall but I'm not sure since it had outside corners/short hallways at either end to the guest bedrooms and master bedroom.

I've tried a lot of googling looking for ideas on how to design something for this particular situation and have come up mostly dry.

Regarding the Baltic birch plywood, I have no idea where you source it. Further, I've heard that it's manufactured in 5'x5' squares which seems awkward for building cabinets, vs 4'x8' sheets.

Is buildings cabinets and bookshelves with Baltic birch, using pockethole screws a dumb and bad idea? I do have a router so I suppose I could cut some rabbets and possibly dadoes, though I'm not confident in my ability to cut long, perfectly straight cuts on my garage floor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Bourbon Moth recently did a build with a bunch of cabinets for an entertainment center. This is the beginning of the build, the next video is the install and the previous video is him making the doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6FBYHyLrw

Something like that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The pre-1960 stuff is probably just nitrocellulose lacquer and shouldn’t be too bad to strip. How bad is the finish? Padding lacquer/french polish works really well to restore old lacquer finishes, and paste wax can work wonders too. You can get amalgamator too that basically melts the lacquer again so it can flow back out smooth. Unless it is really badly cracked, it can probably be cleaned, scuff sanded and re-coated. If the finish can be restored instead of stripped/refinished it will be a lot less work and probably leave a better finish in the end.

The problem isn't scratches or cracks, but water rings. Can French polishing get rid of those?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It turns out the paraffin sometimes doesn't seal out mold (we've all had a bubble or two underneath), and the mold can be dangerous.

There are lots of things in canning that my folks did (gah, that stove with one vat boiling jam, one vat boiling water and jars, one vat melted paraffin) that aren't recommended any more, because we've learned subtler ways canned goods can make you sick. And a chutney should be boiling-water processed anyway.

I'll put up pictures of the stuff I'm stripping once I'm in my new house. It's mostly run-of-the-mill Colonial Revival with water stains. I was under the impression that after they reformulated strippers to take out methylene chloride, they weren't nearly as effective.

I boiling water processed the chutney. And then poured melted paraffin on top. And then gave him an enema!

Card scrapers are effective on flat surfaces. They then almost always need to be sanded, but a scraper is a great, quick way to remove crap without raising dust if you're skillful about it. I don't recall reading what in your house you need to refinish. If it's installed millwork, that's going to be a pita. There are sponge-backed sanding blocks that I've found effective on millwork. Sometimes you can find some with a contoured profile that's similar to the millwork. Stripping is nasty work, regardless. There are plenty of youtubes for that.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just as a PSA, if you're not using a vacuum when you sand, do so. Makes a huge difference in the dust floating your shop. I have a 10' hose and 3d printed an adapter for my cheapo makita sander and have it all hooked up to my cheap shop vac. I'd wager it's about as good as a festool sander and extractor combo (albeit more cumbersome and much louder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MetaJew posted:

I am debating trying to build some cabinets and bookshelves as an entertainment center... Thing for my living room. I like the look of Baltic birch edge grain. In addition, being able to buy prefinished sheets seems like it would be pretty convenient.

The wall I would be building it on is about 187" long. I think I wouldn't want to run the cabinets completely to the edge of the wall but I'm not sure since it had outside corners/short hallways at either end to the guest bedrooms and master bedroom.

I've tried a lot of googling looking for ideas on how to design something for this particular situation and have come up mostly dry.

Regarding the Baltic birch plywood, I have no idea where you source it. Further, I've heard that it's manufactured in 5'x5' squares which seems awkward for building cabinets, vs 4'x8' sheets.

Is buildings cabinets and bookshelves with Baltic birch, using pockethole screws a dumb and bad idea? I do have a router so I suppose I could cut some rabbets and possibly dadoes, though I'm not confident in my ability to cut long, perfectly straight cuts on my garage floor.
Rockler and fancy woodworking stores may have it...for a price. Otherwise a lumberyard that supplies cabinet shops. You might even ask a small cabinet shop if they could sell you some or order you some, as most of those places are wholesale only. You can get baltic birch in 4x8 sheets, or 5x5. One of my suppliers has one, one has the other and it may depend on your local market. One of my suppliers has prefinished import (vietnamese or whatever has replaced chinabirch) birch, but not baltic birch and I wouldn't think it was a commonly stocked product.

However, I tried to buy some baltic birch a few weeks ago and both my suppliers laughed at me and said they might get some in January. You may have a hard time finding any in stock.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The problem isn't scratches or cracks, but water rings. Can French polishing get rid of those?
If it's a lacquer or shellac finish, you can get rid of them with amalgamator. It fuckin stinks. Lacquer retarder works well too, and some times straight lacquer thinner will work but it can also make a mess. In any case, it's a solvent that basically re-liquifies/softens the finish to repair defects. Then pad over top with padding lacquer or french polish. Clean it really well before you try amalgamator with a degreaser and some mineral spirits or naphtha. You don't want to contaminate the new finish with dirt/wax/oil/silicone from whatever polishes might have been used on it over the years.

This video sort of explains it and Mohawk makes good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EyuNdQn-oc

E: This stuff is readily available and works okay sometimes. Worth trying first at least. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Howard-Restor-A-Finish-16-oz-Walnut-RF4016/100199071

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 30, 2021