Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

I'm a long-sleeve rashguard with shorts kinda guy in nogi. In yesgi if it's hot I go short sleeve, if it's cold I go long sleeve. As a general rule.

Also it really pains me to say so but my favorite grappling shorts are a pair of fitted Shoyorolls that are basically slightly longer, slightly looser vale tudo shorts. I hate baggy board shorts and am not comfortable with having my junk protrude in vt's and so they really are a miracle and I will probably try to get more pairs.

link to shorts, pleeeeaase!

Vashro posted:

do you guys wear a cup? only had one or two minor knee nuts incidents in 5yrs but Id consider it. we have one guy who does and Im always reminded if he gets my back and that thing is jabbing into my spine

no cup here. mouth guard, though. priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I, too, have a mouth guard. Everybody will eventually get elbowed in the face. The fit from my dentist is better than any retainer out there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

In nogi I feel like a mouthguard is more necessary than a cup. Been cracked quite a few times in the face from flying limbs.

i agree. i’ve got no balls and a big mouth

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone ever seen a rashguard that looks like a gi? I have an idea of how to kick everyone's rear end at gi class

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Mouthguard and no cup here. I got punched in the face by a white belt gripping me, knocking one of my bridgework teeth out and I almost choked on it.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I require a mouth guard because I'm a mouth breather and bite my tongue when I don't cause I'm usually high and grinning like an idiot while rolling

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
mouthguard all the time. Got a custom one years ago and I love it.
Long sleeve rashguard and spats guy all the time everytime. Even in the crazy heat when we open the doors and it's 100 outside. I also only do gi so it gets hot and sweaty

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're not wearing a mouth guard you should start. It should be mandatory safety equipment. I've had facial stitches from my own teeth, I've seen people chip teeth, and I've seen people get cut by other people's teeth. Just get the stupid mouth guard. It's like $1.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I was used to wearing a mouthguard from my rugby days so it never really bugged me, tho I do need to replace my current boil and bite I think.

No cup. There was a brown, now black, belt I trained with that wore one that would get mount and then grapevine and holy poo poo was that unpleasant.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If I feel my opponent is wearing a cup I consider it a slight disregard for my safety and feel ok adjusting my own "don't do poo poo that might hurt your partner" dial accordingly. I didn't have a mouth guard until several years after getting my judo blackbelt but now its like seatbelts or helmets and I feel weird without one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I started using a sisu as recommended on these very forums and it's great.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

CommonShore posted:

Has anyone ever seen a rashguard that looks like a gi? I have an idea of how to kick everyone's rear end at gi class

BJJ Globetrotters made one a couple years back, but it's been out of production since then. One of the guys at my old gym (which only allows white gis) picked one up in blue to troll the head instructor.

Mouth guard 100% of the time when rolling or drilling high-amplitude takedowns. I'd be interested in a semi-flexible cup that acted as a crumple zone of sorts in the case of an errant knee or whatever without also acting as a spine or elbow destroyer, but alas, those don't seem to exist.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nestharken posted:

BJJ Globetrotters made one a couple years back, but it's been out of production since then. One of the guys at my old gym (which only allows white gis) picked one up in blue to troll the head instructor.

rofl that owns

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

CommonShore posted:

rofl that owns

Lmao very yes

quote:

NO-GI HAS NEVER BEEN THIS CONFUSING!

Tired of grip fighting?
Suck at takedowns but LOVE to win?
Do your friends keep telling you that “gi training is important too”?
Want to film your no-gi matches but also make sure people on social media know your belt rank?
Love when people awkwardly stare at you as you enter the room?
Can’t afford an actual gi?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd want it without a belt on it at all though, because it's not gi class withotu having to retie your belt repeatedly

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Do you guys wear a mouth guard while drilling or just while rolling/sparring.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

butros posted:

I was used to wearing a mouthguard from my rugby days so it never really bugged me, tho I do need to replace my current boil and bite I think.

No cup. There was a brown, now black, belt I trained with that wore one that would get mount and then grapevine and holy poo poo was that unpleasant.

I mean you can always wear a cup and then just not be an rear end in a top hat about it when you roll

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

laxbro posted:

I usually wear mine while drilling because then I don't forget to put it in. Also sometimes you do get bumped and the wrong angle can still damage a tooth.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

laxbro posted:

I don't drill with the mouth guard. Safety concerns aside, there's far too much to discuss and it's hard to speak clearly with your mouth full.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I pop mine at the start of class, you're less likely to get banged around while drilling but accidents still happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't wear it while drilling all the time, because I often need to talk a lot, even though my tooth went through my lip in a drill, not a roll (because I 100% of the time wear it while rolling).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

laxbro posted:

Usually only when sparring but I guess that depends who I am drilling with :D

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Chewing gum for drilling. Unless maybe it's takedowns or something high impact but that's rare.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

CommonShore posted:

rofl that owns

Want to wear that during gi class and feel like a naturalist trying to be accepted as part of the herd

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone have a Shoyoroll Gi? Seems like these things are the Yeezy's of the BJJ world. Are they even worth the hassle of getting one?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

laxbro posted:

Just sparring

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I wear the mouth guard for drilling and sparring. But I can talk with mine in.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone have a Shoyoroll Gi? Seems like these things are the Yeezy's of the BJJ world. Are they even worth the hassle of getting one?

They've figured out how to play the secondary market and more power to them, but they do make some really high-quality stuff. I was lucky enough to get one of their gis for free a few years back, and it's got a better cut than any of my other ones from a variety of manufacturers and no real signs of wear beyond sweat stains. Would I pay full retail for one? Ehhhhh...

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I managed to snag one recently. It's certainly a nice gi, and fits very well - I train in it most frequently. I have a few training partners that wear exclusively Shoyoroll gi's. My $55 no-name one from Amazon is also nice and fits well.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I have one and it's fine. They have some cool designs / collabs, also some horrible ones.

I prefer a couple Origin custom job gis my old gym had because the fit on them is perfect for me.

But at the end of the day the MyJiuJitsu gis off Amazon are actually really good quality, and if the tags are anything to go actually appear be produced at the same factory as the Shoyorolls for ~25% of the price.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

laxbro posted:

Always. It goes in when I put my gi on, and comes out when I’m done for the day. Get a sisu and it doesn’t impede your speech at all. Thing is so low profile I’ve forgotten I had it in til after I drove home a few times before.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I should clarify: I can talk to my partner when I'm wearing one but I can't project to the whole room when I'm wearing one, which I often need to do.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

They've figured out how to play the secondary market and more power to them, but they do make some really high-quality stuff. I was lucky enough to get one of their gis for free a few years back, and it's got a better cut than any of my other ones from a variety of manufacturers and no real signs of wear beyond sweat stains. Would I pay full retail for one? Ehhhhh...

Thats what I thought. I have a couple friends that have some and they do seem to resemble some of the Origin Gis in terms of comfort but dont seem to have the same quality.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Always. It goes in when I put my gi on, and comes out when I’m done for the day. Get a sisu and it doesn’t impede your speech at all. Thing is so low profile I’ve forgotten I had it in til after I drove home a few times before.

Same. If I'm on the mat, I've got my guard in. I went with a Gladiator, and it fits great. I can talk, drink, etc, without issue.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I have to move to Cambridge OR Boston. does anyone know any bjj schools that slap?

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

laxbro posted:

Anything where I'm working with someone else. I've got a gladiator pro that sticks to my top teeth and might as well not be there for breathing/talking.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I feel like since coming back from covid I've been playing catchup with the year's-worth of colds and weird skin rashes I missed. Since coming back I think I'm missing close to 50% of my practices due to illness.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ihop posted:

I feel like since coming back from covid I've been playing catchup with the year's-worth of colds and weird skin rashes I missed. Since coming back I think I'm missing close to 50% of my practices due to illness.

Maybe from physically stressing yourself again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

starkebn posted:

Maybe from physically stressing yourself again?

Yea I got pretty sick after my first practice back. My wife and daughter weren’t affected at all. I think it was because I was so gassed after the first session back that my immune system was shot.