Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

It should be easy for someone who knows what they're doing, but it's easy to gently caress up if you don't. There are a few details that aren't quite obvious if you don't know what to look for, so you can't just grab any ballast and wire it in 1:1. I mean, if you buy the correct ballast then yes, it's an easy swap, but I'm guessing dude just grabbed the cheapest thing that said "ballast" and shoehorned it in.

One thing that's weirding me out is every ballast I've seen has the label visible once installed. Like, the side facing you should have a bigass sticker that has brand, model, specs, wiring diagram, etc. on it. So that's another red flag there...

The label is visible. The model # is 3324 2L 17W WRAP

It also says:

Fixture utilizes series circuitry, ballast characterics include:

*Ballast wires connected to one end only
*Single bulb failure results in both bulbs not operating *Power connections must be made in junction box-not
in fixture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

SourKraut posted:

Is that a bear arm?

Edit: I guess given the size, more probably a racoon or something similar in size?

Trash panda, yeah. My wife was in our master bath and heard scuttling sounds, and was greeted by that looking out the window. That's why there are vanity lights in the reflection.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonerGhost posted:

The label is visible. The model # is 3324 2L 17W WRAP

It also says:

Fixture utilizes series circuitry, ballast characterics include:

*Ballast wires connected to one end only
*Single bulb failure results in both bulbs not operating *Power connections must be made in junction box-not
in fixture.

derp

I was looking at the ballast itself, not the fixture (edit: which means that this was probably wired like this from the factory, so something else is wrong).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 2, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

SourKraut posted:

Is that a bear arm?

Edit: I guess given the size, more probably a racoon or something similar in size?

buddy if there is a bear on your roof you got problems a contractor can't solve

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

It should be easy for someone who knows what they're doing, but it's easy to gently caress up if you don't. There are a few details that aren't quite obvious if you don't know what to look for, so you can't just grab any ballast and wire it in 1:1. I mean, if you buy the correct ballast then yes, it's an easy swap, but I'm guessing dude just grabbed the cheapest thing that said "ballast" and shoehorned it in.

One thing that's weirding me out is every ballast I've seen has the label visible once installed. Like, the side facing you should have a bigass sticker that has brand, model, specs, wiring diagram, etc. on it. So that's another red flag there...

It does have this label on it:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

It does have this label on it:

Yeah so I was looking at the ballast itself, not the fixture. When you said he replaced the ballast, I thought it was just the ballast, not the entire fixture (edit: the ballast being the white box the wires are going in/out of).

So I'm totally wrong here, that entire unit was probably wired at the factory and looks to be wired as it's supposed to be.

I mean, dude still did it wrong because the wires are supposed to go through that hole in the middle up in to a junction box, but that's a separate issue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah so I was looking at the ballast itself, not the fixture. When you said he replaced the ballast, I thought it was just the ballast, not the entire fixture (edit: the ballast being the white box the wires are going in/out of).

So I'm totally wrong here, that entire unit was probably wired at the factory and looks to be wired as it's supposed to be.

I mean, dude still did it wrong because the wires are supposed to go through that hole in the middle up in to a junction box, but that's a separate issue.

Oh my bad! This is why I hire people to do my work :)

Edit: Also I think he just rewired it like the old one because that's how it was too, the junction box didn't seem accessible... just wires coming through wood from what I can see.

The PO had some really not up to code wiring in other spots (for instance a completely bypassed exterior breaker at the AC condenser that almost killed my AC repair man because it was remounted to *look* correct).

So if I had to guess something is just not right with the wiring (or possible he just bent a pin when installing the bulb). Either way already got an electrician on his way to come look at it all and reinstall a new LED fixture.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 2, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

Oh my bad! This is why I hire people to do my work :)

Nah you're good, I made an assumption. The whole fixture was probably about the same price (or cheaper) than just a ballast, without the concerns of trying to figure out which ballast to use and how to wire it and if the tombstones are the right type blah blah blah.

By the looks of it, that fixture is designed just for this scenario, quick and easy swap out. Cheap series wiring (one burnt bulb means the whole thing goes out), and the fixture isn't rated for holding the wiring (hence the stated need for a separate junction box).

edit:

BonoMan posted:

Edit: Also I think he just rewired it like the old one because that's how it was too, the junction box didn't seem accessible... just wires coming through wood from what I can see.

The PO had some really not up to code wiring in other spots (for instance a completely bypassed exterior breaker at the AC condenser that almost killed my AC repair man because it was remounted to *look* correct).

So if I had to guess something is just not right with the wiring (or possible he just bent a pin when installing the bulb). Either way already got an electrician on his way to come look at it all and reinstall a new LED fixture.

Typically fluorescent fixtures are rated to have the wiring terminations inside, so there's no need for a junction box in the ceiling. Your old fixture was likely rated for this. This new fixture is not, which is why it tells you you need a junction box.

Again, this all points to it being a purpose-designed cheap replacement. Made to do the bare minimum required for the lowest cost they can manage, but that means it can only be used in certain scenarios. Since you have no junction box, this is not an appropriate fixture. I'm sure your electrician will gripe about it.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 2, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

Nah you're good, I made an assumption. The whole fixture was probably about the same price (or cheaper) than just a ballast, without the concerns of trying to figure out which ballast to use and how to wire it and if the tombstones are the right type blah blah blah.

By the looks of it, that fixture is designed just for this scenario, quick and easy swap out. Cheap series wiring (one burnt bulb means the whole thing goes out), and the fixture isn't rated for holding the wiring (hence the stated need for a separate junction box).

edit:

Typically fluorescent fixtures are rated to have the wiring terminations inside, so there's no need for a junction box in the ceiling. Your old fixture was likely rated for this. This new fixture is not, which is why it tells you you need a junction box.

Again, this all points to it being a purpose-designed cheap replacement. Made to do the bare minimum required for the lowest cost they can manage, but that means it can only be used in certain scenarios. Since you have no junction box, this is not an appropriate fixture. I'm sure your electrician will gripe about it.

Electrician came by and is off to get an LED fixture. He did mention it's wired into the main overhead light in the bathroom (the one in the center of the space)... is that normal?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

Electrician came by and is off to get an LED fixture. He did mention it's wired into the main overhead light in the bathroom (the one in the center of the space)... is that normal?

That I couldn't tell you, might be worth pressing your electrician for more details. Is it turned on by the same switch? Because having multiple fixtures using a single switch is certainly common, and if this was by design then I'm pretty sure wiring it from the other light's junction box is the right way to do it.

Not sure if the implication is that the PO added it on his own, or if he was just mentioning it because there was something else weird about it, or if it was just mentioned in passing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Deviant posted:

buddy if there is a bear on your roof you got problems a contractor can't solve

I've seen baby bears on roofs before!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

That I couldn't tell you, might be worth pressing your electrician for more details. Is it turned on by the same switch? Because having multiple fixtures using a single switch is certainly common, and if this was by design then I'm pretty sure wiring it from the other light's junction box is the right way to do it.

Not sure if the implication is that the PO added it on his own, or if he was just mentioning it because there was something else weird about it, or if it was just mentioned in passing.

Sounds like he was just mentioning it in passing since I was asking about it.

New fixture in and I'm $210 poorer. Ugh. Oh well it won't catch on fire.

I also asked him if it looked like anything had been done wrong and he said nope it just looked like the unit could have been defective or something. Basically a "we'll never know" but whatevs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And now you have LED's! Anyone newly installing fluorescent fixtures should be a red flag. Also what's inside them? Mercury! :science: (I mean just a tiny bit.)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

H110Hawk posted:

And now you have LED's! Anyone newly installing fluorescent fixtures should be a red flag. Also what's inside them? Mercury! :science: (I mean just a tiny bit.)

Yeah I'm not sure why he did that. Likely just buying what was cheapest?

Anyway the bulbs didn't break, but the ends sure did fry (as visible in the pics). I have two small kids - any danger I need to be aware of toxicity wise?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why he did that. Likely just buying what was cheapest?

Anyway the bulbs didn't break, but the ends sure did fry (as visible in the pics). I have two small kids - any danger I need to be aware of toxicity wise?

Don't huff the gas inside them, and when they break that glass is the WORST to clean up because it shatters SO FINELY. Otherwise, no, just return it and demand an LED fixture should this ever come up in the future. They're an antiquated technology no one should be buying new these days. LEDs are better in every way. They're safer to maintain (no ULTRA fine/sharp glass when they break), put out better light, last longer, etc. To the point that even when your bulbs burn out you should be buying LED replacements and dealing with the ballast bypass right then. It's so easy.

But to your point - no, you and your kids are fine. We've all been around a FL or CFL that's shattered.

That's open right? Either way, just toss it into your dumpster and get a refund from Herr Chucklefuck who thinks it's a good idea to buy those things to cover the cover of the big kid contractor you hired to do it right the first time.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 2, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

H110Hawk posted:

Don't huff the gas inside them, and when they break that glass is the WORST to clean up because it shatters SO FINELY. Otherwise, no, just return it and demand an LED fixture should this ever come up in the future. They're an antiquated technology no one should be buying new these days. LEDs are better in every way. They're safer to maintain (no ULTRA fine/sharp glass when they break), put out better light, last longer, etc. But to your point - no, you and your kids are fine. We've all been around a FL or CFL that's shattered.

That's open right? Either way, just toss it into your dumpster and get a refund from Herr Chucklefuck who thinks it's a good idea to buy those things to cover the cover of the big kid contractor you hired to do it right the first time.

Yeah I even asked "they still make fluorescent fixtures?"

And do you mean open like broken open? As far as I can tell one of metal casings on one of the leads is burned off, but not sure what that means for the interior of the bulb, nothing glass wise is broken on the bulb. Not sure if that burned the lead down far enough to open the (*checks google*) stem press.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 2, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

things are finally actually progressing in my attempt at a modern condo

the first bathroom light was a disaster, but the second one is pretty good. It's just a flat bar, but it points light out in all directions, so I don't have the wall behind it be super dark like I did with the previous light.

Awaiting my THIRD kitchen light - first was incompatible, even though the company said it wasn't initially, second one was defective (some issue with the PWM controller resulting in buzzing, they said my dimmer should work), so now onto #3!

Fixed my goddamn faucet by backflushing the lines

Got estimates to do all the painting. I'm really glad I called my local hardware store as this person is quite affordable! $450 for a pretty small bathroom (I'm providing the paint), and two of the walls need to be patched as I had an electrician cut open the drywall to put in romex and a new outlet for an electric bidet seat. $900 to do the entire living room + kitchen, $800 to do the entry room and my bedroom.

If I posted my own thread about this place would anyone be interested? feel free to lie

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm strongly in favor of more house/apartment project threads, not every thread has to be people with falling down historic houses doing major renovation.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

corgski posted:

I'm strongly in favor of more house/apartment project threads, not every thread has to be people with falling down historic houses doing major renovation.

We moved into our new place in March. Tongue and groove was cupped so bad it looked like D-logs. Home inspection report said "some evidence of water intrusion."

Behind the picture is a chimney hookup. There is actually a double chimney behind that wall. I'm in a massive snow zone, some point in the past there was an ice dam which led to water coming in through the wall.

:ohdear:

Everything came out that was punky. The rest was sprayed with an acetic acid mixture. Then the rebuilding began.

Which went surprisingly fast.

I hired out the drywall work, ~500 sqft, 9 ft ceilings / 13.5 ft ceilings. A few windows, door, cost me $2200 to bring it to primed.

That was after our first coat. We used an 18" roller, sanded between coats, and filtered our paint, both by recomendation of the drywallers. I'll never use a 9" roller again. Not sure how much difference the filtering made.

I am now waiting for Penofin interior stains to pick which wood / stain combo to use to finish it all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yooper posted:

That was after our first coat. We used an 18" roller, sanded between coats, and filtered our paint, both by recomendation of the drywallers. I'll never use a 9" roller again. Not sure how much difference the filtering made.

On filtering: depends on the paint. On the 18" roller? For a field that size absolutely. You can't go wrong.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Did something get reversed?

It's easy enough to sometimes not get the bulb snapped properly into the prongs in the sockets at the end of a fixture which can cause arcing and burn up the pins like that. It could have been a wiring mistake or a fault in the ballast, but it also might just have been a lamp making a poor connection.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I've got a question about vinyl baseboards

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ROPPE-Dark-Gray-4-in-x-120-ft-x-0-080-in-Vinyl-Wall-Cove-Base-Coil-C40C53P150/205426735

How much wall does the baseboard need behind it? Is it ok if there's wall at the top 2 inches then a gap at the bottom?

I want to use it in my laundry room. Before I moved in the basement would flood periodically. I had a french drain installed and haven't had any incidents since then. But I don't run the drywall down to the floor just in case.

The bottom of the exterior is a little damaged from old water intrusion. So I didn't repair it all the way down to the floor:

On the wall I built I've left the drywall intentionally high off the ground in case of future flooding:

I plan to install 4 inch vinyl baseboards. As far as I can tell I just cut the product to length, apply adhesive, stick it on the wall and maybe hit it with a seam roller to press it on. I'm wondering if this will work if just the top couple inches of the product makes contact or if it needs backing all the way down. If I need something behind it I could get closed cell foam insulation and cut it to size for some backer. But I'm hoping I don't have to bother. Anyone have experience installing this stuff and/or care to hazard a guess?

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

As someone who just removed a bunch of the stuff from drywall that went all the way to the floor, I'd say the biggest risk with putting it in the laundry room will be all the crap that's going to get stuck under there. Even with generous amounts of adhesive from the previous owner of our house, there was enough wiggle room for a lot of dirt and pet hair to get back there. Then again, they could have been total slobs, but with that amount of baseboard just hanging loose I'd expect a fair amount of stuff to get trapped behind it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I would spray expanding foam in the crack, cut flush, glue the baseboard then silicone around the base.

That should provide a good surface for the baseboard to stick to, and seal the bottom. If there is a lot of movement the seal might crack a tiny bit, but silicone is generally flexible.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You could use pvc trim boards instead, would cost a bit more but look nicer. Stuff is definitely waterproof.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any thread favorite / recommended undercounter LED lighting? I had some little 1 foot modular strips that just daisy chained together and plugged into the wall that I taped in when I moved into the house but 2 years in and they are flickering like crazy and need to go.

I have about 4 feet of non continuous counter to hang it under.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Bought a townhome yesterday, will probably be visiting this thread for recommendations very soon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NomNomNom posted:

You could use pvc trim boards instead, would cost a bit more but look nicer. Stuff is definitely waterproof.

Hadn't thought of those. I'll take a look at them

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Had a leak in my walls and had to have a ~6x8ft section of drywall replaced. This also has a knockdown texture applied.

Now I need to repaint, I'm assuming I'll need to primer because this is fresh drywall and mud? If so, what kind of primer do I need? Can I just grab a can of Kilz or is there some better suited for fresh drywall.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
There is drywall sealing primer: https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-drywall-pva-primer

It's normal primer mixed with pva (elmers glue)

Really any good quality primer will work. But if you feel better using a specialized product, you can get the drywall primer. I usually do a coat of drywall sealing primer, a coat of normal primer, then color coat. But realistically you'll be fine with one coat of whatever primer you user.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That Works posted:

Any thread favorite / recommended undercounter LED lighting? I had some little 1 foot modular strips that just daisy chained together and plugged into the wall that I taped in when I moved into the house but 2 years in and they are flickering like crazy and need to go.

We installed the Ikea ones recently and it was pretty easy, and they're nice and bright and are pretty unobtrusive. Haven't had them for long so can't speak to longevity.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

That Works posted:

https://www.inspiredled.com

I did a full kitchen install in the last house as well as a closet in our current one, it’s good stuff. I have the parts list all set up for doing the same to our current kitchen, I’d just rather spend money on more important things right now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks all

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

finally got my new kitchen and bathroom lights finished, only took five fixtures and over a month to do it :p

ended up with this one (11" white version) in the galley kitchen, and this one in the bathroom. that will be paired with a 36" round mirror with a black frame once the walls are patched and repainted. with the latter, there are very few lights that are of the single light / bath bar style that reflect light up and down, i.e. against the wall it sits on, and to the sides.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This made less racket than you might expect. Guess that's what I get for trusting anchors to hold it against a 5 year old who definitely doesn't pull on it or play with it. Really glad it didn't oops its way through the window.

(I had already stripped his bed because it was covered in crud.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I feel for that kid. Curtain rod just fell on him, same way the towel rod I totally wasn't trying to use as a chin-up bar fell on me at his age.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Vim Fuego posted:

There is drywall sealing primer: https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-drywall-pva-primer

It's normal primer mixed with pva (elmers glue)

Really any good quality primer will work. But if you feel better using a specialized product, you can get the drywall primer. I usually do a coat of drywall sealing primer, a coat of normal primer, then color coat. But realistically you'll be fine with one coat of whatever primer you user.

PVA's are decent economical drywall sealers under a flat or matte topcoat. Its sheen holdout sucks though, so if it's being topcoated with anything eggshell/satin or higher in sheen then I'd recommend a better primer to give you full and even sheen development. I've seen a lot of streaky satins and semiglosses over new drywall + PVA even with two full topcoats.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Final Blog Entry posted:

PVA's are decent economical drywall sealers under a flat or matte topcoat. Its sheen holdout sucks though, so if it's being topcoated with anything eggshell/satin or higher in sheen then I'd recommend a better primer to give you full and even sheen development. I've seen a lot of streaky satins and semiglosses over new drywall + PVA even with two full topcoats.

I'll be matching existing so it's Sherwin Williams Cashmere paint in Low Lustre which is somewhere between flat and eggshell.

I noticed that Home Depot carries Kilz PVA while Lowe's carries Kilz Drywall primer. Anyone know the difference between the two? I do most shopping at Lowes but can make the trip to HD if needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KILZ-1-gal-White-Interior-PVA-Drywall-Primer-PX01001/202837010
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KILZ-Drywall-primer-Primer/5001586155

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
SW Cashmere Low Lustre is pretty much a satin with a fancy-pants name. I'd spend a few more bucks for a better primer, personally. If you're shopping Lowe's they ought to have Zinsser Bullseye 123 which would be a good choice.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zinsser-Bu...8-fl-oz/3439970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I'm not worried about the cost, this is a pretty visable wall so I'd like the best results I can get within reason.

Thanks.