Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
aaah yis! I feel like I've been waiting 15 god drat years for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Well, this explains the weird comment from some dubbing company dude in Italy who said they'd already dubbed the film on the day it'd released.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
So I just finished watching the series and End of Evangelion for the first time a couple weeks ago. Had a great time, loved the show, but still not entirely sure what the deal is with all these movies. Are all these upcoming releases essentially the same movie with additional scenes, or are these actual sequels?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Borrowed Ladder posted:

So I just finished watching the series and End of Evangelion for the first time a couple weeks ago. Had a great time, loved the show, but still not entirely sure what the deal is with all these movies. Are all these upcoming releases essentially the same movie with additional scenes, or are these actual sequels?

It's complicated.

The first movie is basically a remake of the first episodes of the show, with hints that there's something else going on. The second film starts to go in its own direction from there, with the third film being an original plot and the fourth film concluding the new plotlines that were set up.

Fourth film also sort of implies it's all a sequel to the originals. Kinda. It's complicated.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Borrowed Ladder posted:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rebootquel

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like getting into Evangelion this close to the final entry of the Rebuilds is a kinda terrible way to appreciate everything.

Like, even getting into Eva after 1.0 is gonna be a weird fucky experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I feel like getting into Evangelion this close to the final entry of the Rebuilds is a kinda terrible way to appreciate everything.

It's not as if it's going to get any better by that logic, or do you just not want anyone to watch it now?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

So only those people who watched it on vhs tapes can truly appreciate the show?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
No, just any meta elements are kinda probably going to be the blow-off for potentially 25 years of pent up ideas which a more recent experience might make kinda redundant. I'm not trying to gatekeep, I just cherish the experience I've had :shobon:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I think the subtle meta elements are so completely overshadowed by the what-the-gently caress moments of every other minute missing those isn’t going to detract from the experience.

They were certainly a nice Easter egg for long-time fans however.

edit: guess that’s basically what you said above

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Szmitten posted:

No, just any meta elements are kinda probably going to be the blow-off for potentially 25 years of pent up ideas which a more recent experience might make kinda redundant. I'm not trying to gatekeep, I just cherish the experience I've had :shobon:

Who loving cares

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm not telling people not to watch it, jesus christ.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Szmitten posted:

getting into eva at any point in time is kinda gonna be a weird fucky experience. it's a weird fucky series, that's why it's great.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Get in the goddamn fandom

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

I am awful at gifs but a :gendin: smilie may be worth applying my meager skills to.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Regalingualius posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Regalingualius posted:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

Get in the good golly gosh dang darn fandom

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Have you seen the fandom?!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Have you seen the fandom?!

Not like getting in the robot worked out perfectly for Shinji.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion megathread: Get in the goddamn fandom

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Szmitten posted:

If it helps you decide at all, I had two friends (who don't know each other) watch the original series during the "stuck at home with nothing to do" portion of 2020, and they both got into it and enjoyed it (in totally different ways because this is Evangelion)!

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I understand what Szmitten was trying to say. I got into Evangelion because it came up as a recommendation if you like Twin Peaks.

When the third season of Twin Peaks was announced/began in 2017, if you watched the original series and FWWM 25 years ago, that's a completely different experience than if you watched it right before season 3, that's just a fact. It doesn't mean watching it without waiting 25 years means you can't understand it or enjoy it as much or more, but it's just not the same experience.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/bloodberry_tart/status/1414264102030032896

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
OK so Im a virgin and Im doing my first run of the OG series. Episode 5 and Rei just slapped Shinji because he doesnt appreciate his absentee father, cause you know he only needs him to be a child warrior in the apocalypse.

Is this entire story going to be people making GBS threads on Shinji but only appreciating him when he slowly turns into a souless husk?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gaj posted:

OK so Im a virgin and Im doing my first run of the OG series. Episode 5 and Rei just slapped Shinji because he doesnt appreciate his absentee father, cause you know he only needs him to be a child warrior in the apocalypse.

Is this entire story going to be people making GBS threads on Shinji but only appreciating him when he slowly turns into a souless husk?

mild spoilers but only as much as directly answers your question

nah there's one person towards the end who gives Shinji unconditional love and acceptance, and even the people treating him like poo poo aren't quite as one-dimensional as they seem, just hosed up in their own ways

also honestly if you're in the mindset of "man poor Shinji" instead of hating him for being whiny you're already ahead of most first-timer viewers

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is the unconditional love coming from the same person in the pedo twitter meme above ?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gaj posted:

Is the unconditional love coming from the same person in the pedo twitter meme above ?

no, and also the gag in that image is... hard to explain but not actually about Misato being a pedophile. it's both less and more horrifying than that lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaj posted:

That Twitter joke won't pay off until you're almost at the end of the movie that wrapped up the story of the tv series so don't worry about it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, that joke kinda goes in two directions at once.

Just like Misato!

On that note, the commentary track on EoE should be required viewing immediately after.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Anno is pretty good at making you hate everyone so be prepared.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Anno is pretty good at making you hate everyone so be prepared.

Who hates Hikari?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Who hates Hikari?

The universe.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Halfway though ep6. Nothing anyone has said made sense, but theres a whole lot of sex thrown at this poor 14 year old who is told to put his dick away and fight.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Gaj posted:

Halfway though ep6. Nothing anyone has said made sense, but theres a whole lot of sex thrown at this poor 14 year old who is told to put his dick away and fight.

:thatsEvangelion:

We need one of these.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The universe.

Look, when Toji piloted the Eva and everything went to poo poo... he lived. Lost a leg, sure, but that just means he's going to need Hikari to help him get back to a normal life, which is basically classic romcom fodder.

That's not the universe hating her.

That's the universe playing wingman.

Further (spoilers for the new movie)
in Shin, she and Toji are happily married, with a daughter. And also Toji's a doctor.

Oh, and after the apocalypse, she lives a happy life in a peaceful farming village, where her dad is still around to help watch the kid if the need arises.

I'd say the general flow of events suggests the universe hates everyone else. Hikari, it has a soft spot for.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gaj posted:

Yeah, Eva is basically perfect at making you feel like a fish out of water, and even when you finally do start actually getting answers in the last third, it still feels like you’ve only got the vague general idea of what the truth is, with a lot of pieces missing in between.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/neon-genesis-evangelion-the-end-of-evangelion-tumbling-down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That was a good read. As much as I love the Rebuilds for their quality and alternate take (or however you phrase it), there was a definite existential beauty and daring in how End of Evangelion finished.