Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

So getting my 1400~ troops annihilated in the 1st battle of the crusade was enough for me to lead the crusade in war score and my cousin became King. How does that make sense? I didn't do anything else.

You get tons of contribution for troops killed in battle, whether they are your own or the enemy's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

binge crotching posted:

You get tons of contribution for troops killed in battle, whether they are your own or the enemy's.

This is, as far as I can tell, the best way to help with an ally's war when you don't actually care about them. Send some levies (leave the men-at-arms at home, as well as any knights you aren't actively hoping die in battle), fling them into battle, profit.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's the fastest way to get the give a dog a bone achievement?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
matilda, marry fertile man, befriend pope or get hook on pope to request claim on duchy of lombardy. once you get kingdom and have like 4 kids its just waiting for the exponential explosion of kids. holy order is straightforward then

wording of cheevo kinda makes it sound like you need to do it all in matildas lifetime, but this is not the case

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I didn't think about using a hook actually, good point.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nuketulsa posted:

So my liege (King of Hungary - he’s going to die soon I think) became independent from the HRE after a war, I kind of helped. Now can I fight for my own independence and form my own kingdom of Transylvania or does it have to be a de jure kingdom? I see “form new kingdom” as a major decision but I’m not sure what’s going to happen when I can finally click it.

Sorry for newb question. I’m having a lot of fun with this and I’m for sure looking forward to seeing how they expand it.

Also I kind of wish I had a buffer with the Byzantines.. I hope I can get an alliance or something.

E: okay I think I get it, I can make a new kingdom with the duchies I control (3) but if I form a de jure kingdom I get claims on the parts I don’t own

You can also get Hungary itself for you.

On the stewardship lifestyle theres a perk called Meritocracy that allows you to scheme for a claim on your liege's main title

Thats usually my favorite method of breaking free

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Do I need to be independent to reform a religion? I want to reform Tengriism, but I don't have good relations with a sufficient number of realms that have holy sites in them, and the Kirgyz Khanate is two easily-devoured realms away from me...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao two days after winning a war my chancellor gets the truce cancelled. somebody's getting a big bonus this year

e: also why is memphis not a holy site for kushitism

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 5, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao two days after winning a war my chancellor gets the truce cancelled. somebody's getting a big bonus this year

hahaha drat, I would love to know what he did or said, to have the truce revoked! Maybe he noticed that the enemy king didn't actually sign the document properly due to being illiterate, and misspelled "X"? :D
Either way yeah, he definitely earned his wages! You should totally give him some random honorary title or something

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Elias_Maluco posted:

You can also get Hungary itself

I wound up doing just that!

Man I guess I hosed up .. I fought in the crusades and appointed a beneficiary (I didn’t really pay a lot of attention) and after we won some of my territory in Hungary became Jerusalem after like 5 years with no warning? Did I gently caress up the benefactor or gently caress up succession? I’ve mostly held the kingdom together for 100 years through some crazy rear end ebbs and flows.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Do I need to be independent to reform a religion? I want to reform Tengriism, but I don't have good relations with a sufficient number of realms that have holy sites in them, and the Kirgyz Khanate is two easily-devoured realms away from me...

Speaking of easily devoured, they're now bordering me, and the khagan won't let me marry off any of my eleven children to any of his three :ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Step 1: Get Horse Archers

nuketulsa posted:

I wound up doing just that!

Man I guess I hosed up .. I fought in the crusades and appointed a beneficiary (I didn’t really pay a lot of attention) and after we won some of my territory in Hungary became Jerusalem after like 5 years with no warning? Did I gently caress up the benefactor or gently caress up succession? I’ve mostly held the kingdom together for 100 years through some crazy rear end ebbs and flows.

To the extent you hosed up anything, you hosed up the benefactor, in an extremely easy way. Crusade Benefactors can't be heirs to landed titles (which is extraordinarily stupid but there it is), so whoever you picked wasn't an heir at the time. But they must have been close to inheriting and the person or people in front of them in the line of succession died.

Exclave Independence seems like it should fix issues like that, but it doesn't, so you should use the Fixed Exclave Independence mod or whatever it's called.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My fantastic, hyper intellectual, learned and elderly King of Bohemia finally died and of course every vassal erupts in disobedience against the new leader. I had a pile of cash stashed so hired two mercs and smashed the rebels with the help of my ally Lombardy.

I'm actually sad and disappointed. My sons of the old king, whom I had placed as my vassals, were the chief rebels. Do I strip them of their lands I gave them? Kill them? Sad!

I guess the compromise if I don't want to strip everyone of their lands and/or execute them, is that I can use the hooks to tax them higher? Anything else I should do?

As an aside, when the old intellectual king came to the throne, he already had earned the "buy titles" perk, which I'd never had before, and I'm disappointed that I never even found the opportunity to really use it. There was always more compelling ways to try to get claims for what I wanted.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I did a tribal start in asia as Tengriism so I could conquer all my neighbours more easily without worrying too much about having a crusade declared against me loving my poo poo up which is fine but I see I'm going to have to go through a very painful process to feudalise. Is there any way around it being brutal or do I just have to suck it up? Is there any way I can see how my everything under empire is going to be split up on my death?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jose posted:

So I did a tribal start in asia as Tengriism so I could conquer all my neighbours more easily without worrying too much about having a crusade declared against me loving my poo poo up which is fine but I see I'm going to have to go through a very painful process to feudalise. Is there any way around it being brutal or do I just have to suck it up? Is there any way I can see how my everything under empire is going to be split up on my death?

If you go to the succession tab it will show you who is getting what.

As for your first question, not really. Other than exploiting an event/decision to become feudal which I think only the norse have access to there's really not much you can do, and I don't think there is one of those up there. You can try to feudalize through your liege which is easier than doing it on your own but it doesn't help much with the process really gimping you when you first change over.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

e: also why is memphis not a holy site for kushitism

I think they tried to keep the holy sites further south to make it easier to reform before you invade egypt, but I agree that it's pretty stupid. I'm not even sure why you'd want to reform before you'd fully taken control of Egypt anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

If you can become the vassal of a feudal ruler you can feudalize off of that. But if you already have an Empire title that's not gonna work without additional shenanigans to shed your top level title.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
IMO one of the easiest ways to mitigate feudalizing woes is to just conquer an already feudal core of territories and drive control down on them. When you go feudal just make that your new personal demesne.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

zonohedron posted:

From what I can tell you don't actually NEED to be independent to reform a religion, but in practice you need to be, since the requirement to control three (or if you're using the mod I think you are, at least one and good relations with enough others) holy sites is usually impractical to achieve as a vassal unless you're like That One Annoying Superduke that every liege regrets not executing early enough, or your religion's sites are really close together.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 5, 2021

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Buschmaki posted:

IMO one of the easiest ways to mitigate feudalizing woes is to just conquer an already feudal core of territories and drive control down on them. When you go feudal just make that your new personal demesne.

How do you go about driving control down like that?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

From what I can tell you don't actually NEED to be independent to reform a religion, but in practice you need to be, since the requirement to control three (or if you're using the mod I think you are, at least one and good relations with enough others) holy sites is usually impractical to achieve as a vassal unless you're like That One Annoying Superduke that every liege regrets not executing early enough, or your religion's sites are really close together.

I strive to be That One Annoying Vassal, yes. And also yes on the mod. Personally controlling three, when Tengri's holy sites are scattered very widely, is tough!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Neurion posted:

How do you go about driving control down like that?

One of the martial focuses has a natural control growth perk. I forget if tribal rulers get the martial job to up control but if they do that, and also waiting a while after conquest to reach its equilibrium.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there a guide anywhere that explains how loving confederate partition works? Heres the loving spiral I'm in now. First son was getting all my good land, second and third were going to get 1 county, then have a duchy created. Cool. I have a 4th son that fucks everything up. So I gear up to conquer some more land, and since I'm already way over cap, I give sons 2 and 3their county and make the duchies so they can have them. And for whatever reason, getting that territory changed the inheritance so they now get most of my remaining land, and any new land I conquer just gets added to their inheritance. As it stands now those two fuckers now get more land then my actual heir will.

How the gently caress does this work? Does manually creating the duchies and giving it to them make it not count as an inheritance so they now get more? Does making them dukes on my level trigger them getting more? Why can't I trust the loving in game succession tool?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The wiki's pretty good at explaining it, and the ingame inheritance screen shows what will happen to confirm it. Post a screenshot!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can absolutely trust the in-game succession screen, it does not lie.

First off, for Confederate petition,

The way distribution works is by title tier essentially. Your top level title goes to your primary heir. If you have additional top level titles, it will give the primary title to your oldest eligible non-primary heir, then the next oldest, etc. If you have more titles than heirs, your primary heir receives a second one, and the process repeats. The distribution of top level titles will include titles that are de jure part of those top level titles, and they will be given to the appropriate heir of said top level title. There is no attempt at equity here, what matters is the top level title. This attempt at geographic coherence allows you to influence who gets what; if an eligible heir owns a county within the top level title, they will be given preference for the top level title.

Once that's done, any eligible heir who received a top level title is removed from the calculations. If there are no more heirs, your primary heir will receive all remaining titles, regardless of rank or location. If not, it moves down the tier list and repeats the process.

First, your primary heir receives a second tier title, specifically the title that contains your capital. Then it distributes remaining titles on this tier to the eligible heirs, again with the same preference for geographic coherence. If you have more titles than heirs, it wraps around again but higher level tiers of titles count against the lower tier titles your primary heir can receive. This I think is the big thing that gives people fits, but top level titles are more valuable. The process then repeats itself until you run out of titles to distribute.

You can absolutely pre-distribute titles to your heirs, and the titles they already hold will count against them in the distribution (ie. allow your primary to inherit more) as long as they remain part of your realm. If they become independent of you, the titles you've given them in advance don't count for some reason, which is I think what's giving you grief in your particular case. Luckily there are no penalties for holding too many top level titles (aside from general vassal limit), so just hang on to all of those and let succession distribute it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how does gold transfer work on succession? I have a ton of it and I'd like to keep it lol. Can I cheese it by just gifting it constantly right before I die if I get the warning perk?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jose posted:

how does gold transfer work on succession? I have a ton of it and I'd like to keep it lol. Can I cheese it by just gifting it constantly right before I die if I get the warning perk?

Heir gets it all. Standard strategy is to hoard gold for your heir to buy all the mercs he needs to put down the rebellions that inevitably spring up on succession.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, nothing says successful and celebrated transition as a whole bunch of bribes to a select set of complainers…

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Primary heir gets all the gold, and all the MaA.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
In the new patch secondary heirs (like anyone else who gains land for the first time) get some free MaA to start (so the succession war won't be quite as cakewalky as before), but all of your gold and your whole painstakingly optimized MaA stack always goes with the player heir.

edit: vvvv Sorry, I mean 1.4, the most recent patch (went live last month).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 6, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

In the new patch secondary heirs (like anyone else who gains land) get some free MaA to start (so the succession war won't be quite as cakewalky as before), but all of your gold and your whole painstakingly optimized MaA stack always goes with the player heir.

By new patch is this live or in the notes for the next one?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
New "summer teaser"! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-summer-teaser-1.1482135/

Six of the >100 traditions promised, I'm super hyped. By The Sword and Mystical Ancestors look super strong, imo.

SlothBear posted:

By new patch is this live or in the notes for the next one?
This is in the current patch.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I wish there was some sort of Will system instead of the game automatically distributing titles because it always does it in the most cack handed way possible. Like you die and then it throws you to a succession screen where you divide up your titles in way that accords with your current succession law where everyone gets x dutchies or x counties, but gives you a bit of say in who gets what. Because say I rule England and am in the process of conquering Ireland I might want Dublin to go to my primary heir along with London (or something along those lines).

Maybe you could even add in modifiers so that if your ruler had high stewardship he can buy off some of his more terrible sons by giving them extra gold in the will rather than a county or if he's got a high intrigue he can use a legal loophole to cut someone out of the inheritance at the expense of an opinion hit for his heir.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wish there was some sort of Will system instead of the game automatically distributing titles because it always does it in the most cack handed way possible. Like you die and then it throws you to a succession screen where you divide up your titles in way that accords with your current succession law where everyone gets x dutchies or x counties, but gives you a bit of say in who gets what.

Before I played, I imagined these split successions being resolved like EU peace deals with some “inheritance score” to assign to each heir. It would probably get unwieldy pretty quickly, though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

scaterry posted:

New "summer teaser"! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-summer-teaser-1.1482135/

Six of the >100 traditions promised, I'm super hyped. By The Sword and Mystical Ancestors look super strong, imo.

Collective Lands brings CK3 one step closer to simulating fully manual peasant bisexual German communism, and also enabling a full Dithmarschen mega campaign.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That new patch needs to drop so I can stop playing Norse cultured characters. The dynasty perk that gives double prestige/piety in battles is just too much fun, especially when combined with the strong MaA. Having a 2k stack of MaA that wipes the floor with 10k stacks is hilarious, and then gaining an entire fame level for each battle is all the better.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My Ivaring Scotland game is going pretty well. Despite the initial setback of Ivar getting killed in a duel shortly after winning the initial war and his terribly wounded son inheriting and only lasting two months before dying. However, Ivar's grandson is a monster who blood eagled his grandfather's killer aged ten, and has conquered most of Britain and Ireland, and loves making his still-secretly catholic nobles attend blots and watch bishops get strangled.

I thought I had better take some concubines since my carefully chosen wife with great traits turned out to be a lesbian, but she still gave me five sons. So now I have ten sons, and a couple of daughters, succession will be fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dammit when is the Expansion coming out.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wish there was some sort of Will system instead of the game automatically distributing titles because it always does it in the most cack handed way possible. Like you die and then it throws you to a succession screen where you divide up your titles in way that accords with your current succession law where everyone gets x dutchies or x counties, but gives you a bit of say in who gets what. Because say I rule England and am in the process of conquering Ireland I might want Dublin to go to my primary heir along with London (or something along those lines).

Maybe you could even add in modifiers so that if your ruler had high stewardship he can buy off some of his more terrible sons by giving them extra gold in the will rather than a county or if he's got a high intrigue he can use a legal loophole to cut someone out of the inheritance at the expense of an opinion hit for his heir.

If you manage to put out a will before your death you should get a chance to divvy out your titles how you want, with a scaling opinion penalty (and maybe some other debuffs) both at the promulgation and on succession the further you stray from the culturally expected division of titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vagabong posted:

If you manage to put out a will before your death you should get a chance to divvy out your titles how you want, with a scaling opinion penalty (and maybe some other debuffs) both at the promulgation and on succession the further you stray from the culturally expected division of titles.

Let you decide and divvy up the will after death, but introduce decisions/events that let you influence how much control you'll have over your will. Have it start at neutral (aka current default), but then scaling modifiers to decide exactly how pissed your vassals will be by your inheritance decisions (IE usually neutral gives you a small opinion bonus, but you can actually go ever more gavelkind for more opinion bonus or start accumulating dislike for consolidating). And let you use leftover hooks/blackmail to make vassals like your successor more etc.