Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sarrisan posted:

Anyway, I figured someone might get a laugh over my beginner mistake (and also failure to use my eyes mistake): I've been spending the last week learning Dmitri Kabalevsky's 24 Pieces for Children(the first 2 pieces, specifically) and was struggling over how weird they sounded... until I looked up a recording, wondered how it sounded so nice, and realized with horror that it's 2 treble clefs and no bass clef... yep, that about explains it.

At least you didn't need Twitter's help seeing it, unlike me:

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1337947211989184524?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Sarrisan posted:

Anyway, I figured someone might get a laugh over my beginner mistake (and also failure to use my eyes mistake): I've been spending the last week learning Dmitri Kabalevsky's 24 Pieces for Children(the first 2 pieces, specifically) and was struggling over how weird they sounded... until I looked up a recording, wondered how it sounded so nice, and realized with horror that it's 2 treble clefs and no bass clef... yep, that about explains it.

I've recorded stuff I've written in MuseScore where I forgot to hit the transposition key. It's a harsh way to find out why your clarinet and trumpet lines sound so bad.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hello all! This is my first post in this thread, so please bear with me if anything I am asking is idiotic or redundant.

My oldest kid (6 years old) has shown a real interest in taking piano lessons, so we signed her up. She's only 3 lessons in and is already playing "Jingle Bells" and we couldn't be happier. The lessons are not done at home, mostly because we don't own a piano.

I have also decided to sign up for piano lessons as I figured it would be a great bonding experience for me and her. So I signed myself up as well, for a different piano teacher but at the same time, so we can go together, take our lessons at the same time, and get out at the same time as each other. Then we can practice together at home and other fun stuff like that :)

I figured it's time to buy a piano. It would have to be electric for two reasons: 1) we don't really have the room for a "real" piano and 2) I would like the piano to be able to play different sounds, like a violin or harpsichord or whatever.

These don't seem like unrealistic criteria except there's some other stuff I would like the piano to be able to do, such as:

1) have three pedals like a real piano
2) have weighted keys
3) have 88 keys
4) have the ability to "sample" a sound and play it back

For #4, what I mean specifically is let's say I wanted to play that stupid version of Jingle Bells with the dogs barking. I'd like to be able to literally record our dog barking, and then play the piano with that sound. I know it's a stupid example but it's the easiest way for me to describe it.

After doing some research, it looks like the Yamaha MODX8 does everything I want. However, I am not 100% sure on that because #4 is something I don't even know how to google (I guess it would be called sampling?). Also the MODX8 is several years old and I don't know if there's anything better than that now. I'm not sure if piano keyboards are like computers and they change models frequently or if the same models stick around for 20+ years.

I would really appreciate any insight into this. I'd happily visit a local music instrument store but there's almost none by us and the ones that exist have like 3 keyboards to choose from.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I am a neophyte myself, so take this for what it's worth (not much):

#4 takes you out of the realm of "digital piano" and more into "keyboard workstation." That's not bad or worse, but different. And because keyboard workstations are generally oriented towards live performance, you're probably paying for a lot of features you don't need.

Alternatively, even a budget digital piano will have a MIDI output. Using that, you can stream your playing to a computer. MIDI does not send audio data, rather it tells the computer "they played this note, this hard, for this long." Using DAW software you can make that sound however you want. $300 meticulously sampled virtual piano instrument? Check. Armpit farts you recorded using an old gaming mic? Also check.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I would look more at FP-30x and etc

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Careful on the weighted keys in keyboard workstations, a lot of them don't feel the same as a piano at all. Might have to compromise between the sound stuff you want and how much the feel will match the piano you play for lessons.

Definitely go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and play some keyboards if you can/feel comfortable. I'd recommend Roland too because they do have some really nice-feeling weighted keys. I've never been a fan of the way the Yamaha digital pianos feel except the suuuuper high end ones.

(edit) Yes, digital pianos change models a lot and discontinue old stuff, and it's obnoxious because a good chunk of the time it's a new name for the same drat instrument. I feel like Casio changes their number/naming scheme every few years just to make it harder to figure out what's the same model as before and what's actually new tech

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 4, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks so much for the replies!

I checked out the FP-30x and the FP-90x on Roland's website. I can't tell though....can you change their sounds? Meaning is it just one sounding piano or can I like switch it to "harpsichord" or "organ" sound mode or something?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I checked out the FP-30x and the FP-90x on Roland's website. I can't tell though....can you change their sounds? Meaning is it just one sounding piano or can I like switch it to "harpsichord" or "organ" sound mode or something?

Yes, they have alternative sounds. At least several piano sounds, a couple of electric pianos, a harpsichord or two and a grab bag of others.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I have an FP-30 (love it) and it has a couple dozen other sounds but they're clearly less well sampled than the piano sounds. Even the electric piano is pretty ehh. The 3-pedal stand is nice and I enjoy flipping pages with the left pedal but really 2 pedals is enough and I don't think that should be a dealbreaker. And I'll echo that a using the midi out is a lot cheaper than finding a workstation with good piano feel and more versatile as well.

And if you have a storefront nearby where you can try them do it. The Roland is near universally enjoyed and the differences are subtle but it's worth knowing you like touching the instrument. I was set on a Casio until I saw the model and felt an odd grain texture running the length of the keys that I was instantly turned off by. My only complaint with the fp-30 is its terrible bluetooth implementation but that looks like the main improvement to the X variant.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
get an acoustic op, they're better in every way

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Stringent posted:

But where do I plug in the headphones?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stringent posted:

I see where you're coming from, I really do, but when I replaced my "grandma died it's yours for the price of haul it away and get it tuned" acoustic with a digital, I got WAY better about practicing. When you're a family guy, nobody having to hear it but you counts for a lot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the middle pedal on most uprights engages a practice mute

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stringent posted:

the middle pedal on most uprights engages a practice mute

Gonna be that guy, huh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TheScott2K posted:

Gonna be that guy, huh

?

i've got two kids, neighbors, and practice every day on an acoustic upright, if it helps.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Meatlong Football posted:

I have an FP-30 (love it) and it has a couple dozen other sounds but they're clearly less well sampled than the piano sounds. Even the electric piano is pretty ehh. The 3-pedal stand is nice and I enjoy flipping pages with the left pedal but really 2 pedals is enough and I don't think that should be a dealbreaker.

Ok so this reminds me of something I was wondering the other day. I'm 3-4 months out from seriously shopping for a digital piano to supplement my keyboard but I'm trying to get a lay of the land.

For a variety of reasons a portable DP will work better for me than a console right now. It looks like most of the portables in the sub-$1,000 price bracket have 3-pedal units that integrate with the dedicated stand. As far as I can tell, only the Casio PX-S1000 has a truly portable pedal unit, while the others (Kawai ES110 - my current front runner - Yamaha P125, Roland FP-30X) only have a portable damper pedal. I may be able to step up to the $1,500 price bracket but it looks like the situation is similar.

I'm at the point where my teacher is just starting to talk about the damper pedal, so I don't have a great sense of how important the others are. Given that 95% of my playing will be practice at home, I can't imagine it's a big deal, but figured I would make sure.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The other pedals are muuuuuch less used. Ask your teacher but they’ll probably say one pedal is fine.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

FYI there's a USB out on the FP series which you can use to send MIDI data to a DAW where you can then use the keyboard to play whatever sounds you want from the DAW. I use my FP10 to play synths in Logic. One thing I did need to do is bump up the velocity curve (can do this in your DAW) as the velocities it sends are really low. Don't know if this is affected by me having the 'light' velocity setting on my FP10.

This guy did an in depth video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgnoEfaoZU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Doesn't seem that there's a songwriting thread (sure there used to be) so I'll put this here.

C minor is an absolute favourite key for me to play in. It falls very naturally under my fingers and I love the way it sounds on my piano. Unfortunately when I write songs in C minor I find often the bottom of the melody is below my vocal range and going an octave up doesn't give me enough range above that.

From some experimentation it seems that D minor is more suited to my voice. However, I really dislike the way D minor sounds. The 'low' Dm i-chord sounds undetailed and not at all rich like a Cm chord. Subsequently, I don't really like the way that a lot of my songs sound in D minor.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas? So far I've got:
1. Stop playing in C minor all time as I'm comparing everything to it unfavourably.
2. Play inversion of Dm to add some richer bottom end
3. Do vocal exercises and sing more often to try and expand my vocal range a bit

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Absolutely incredible username/post combo.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Albinator posted:

Absolutely incredible username/post combo.

I know. Shameful. Lick my love pump is on my goal list though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I vote: Get one of those pianos where you can have it transpose for you, then play in C minor and sing in D minor.

Or, rewrite your melodies so the low notes fit in your range.

To my knowledge, extending one's low range isn't really feasible. Sounds like you're pretty close so yeah practice might do it, but it's a lot of work for mayyyybe the result you want. Also careful about straining your voice if you're doing it without a teacher

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Doesn't seem that there's a songwriting thread (sure there used to be) so I'll put this here.

C minor is an absolute favourite key for me to play in. It falls very naturally under my fingers and I love the way it sounds on my piano. Unfortunately when I write songs in C minor I find often the bottom of the melody is below my vocal range and going an octave up doesn't give me enough range above that.

From some experimentation it seems that D minor is more suited to my voice. However, I really dislike the way D minor sounds. The 'low' Dm i-chord sounds undetailed and not at all rich like a Cm chord. Subsequently, I don't really like the way that a lot of my songs sound in D minor.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas? So far I've got:
1. Stop playing in C minor all time as I'm comparing everything to it unfavourably.
2. Play inversion of Dm to add some richer bottom end
3. Do vocal exercises and sing more often to try and expand my vocal range a bit

It's really weird that C minor would sound good to you, while the same voicing in D minor doesn't!

It is the same chord voicing right? You're not playing a nice spread voicing for C minor and comparing it to baby's first root position D minor, are you? I dunno what to tell you, other than try a different chord voicing.

How's C#/Db minor to your ear?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Another option is to learn more voicings for the chords you wanna play. “Different inversions” is one step toward this, but you can do a loooot more than inversions to change the sound of a chord. This is definitely wayyyyy easier said than done though

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Do you have perfect pitch? I wonder if you could actually tell the difference in a blind test between a song transposed to Dm vs. Cm.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Hawkperson posted:

I vote: Get one of those pianos where you can have it transpose for you, then play in C minor and sing in D minor.

I have one of those pianos and that definitely solves the comfort with playing in the key but still the sound of the chords sounds weak. Something about the timbre I just don't like anywhere as much as C minor.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

It is the same chord voicing right? You're not playing a nice spread voicing for C minor and comparing it to baby's first root position D minor, are you? I dunno what to tell you, other than try a different chord voicing.

giogadi posted:

Another option is to learn more voicings for the chords you wanna play. “Different inversions” is one step toward this, but you can do a loooot more than inversions to change the sound of a chord. This is definitely wayyyyy easier said than done though

Yeah comparing the same voicings. More expressive voicings is going to be the way to go I think though for D minor.

theratking posted:

Do you have perfect pitch? I wonder if you could actually tell the difference in a blind test between a song transposed to Dm vs. Cm.

I don't have perfect pitch but I spent countless, and I mean countless, hours using a piece of music software called Rave eJay when I was a kid and all the samples are in the key of C minor so I think I have developed some sort of unshakeable affinity for the way it sounds.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

There’s a lot of debate over whether or not different keys are hearably different, but even in equal temperament there’s not an exact relationship between the notes in all keys.

Also the sampling of each key might have some flaws in it - I’d be super curious to know if D minor sounds different to you on a different piano.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson posted:

There’s a lot of debate over whether or not different keys are hearably different, but even in equal temperament there’s not an exact relationship between the notes in all keys.

Also the sampling of each key might have some flaws in it - I’d be super curious to know if D minor sounds different to you on a different piano.

i was thinking the same thing hawk person, like maybe he was on an acoustic piano tuned such that D minor sounds bad? or playing a digital piano with some kind of bogus sound? but neither seems to be the case:

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I don't have perfect pitch but I spent countless, and I mean countless, hours using a piece of music software called Rave eJay when I was a kid and all the samples are in the key of C minor so I think I have developed some sort of unshakeable affinity for the way it sounds.

oooh interesting! if you had your brain broken by C minor as a kid, and that's the key of the music you hear in your head, then maybe its more sensible to try to adapt your voice?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
play it in Eb major

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
any of you pianists good at chess? this guy impresses me!

https://twitch.tv/videogamepianist

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Looking for a keyboard stand recommendation. I'd like it to be sturdy (resistant to getting bumped), relatively easy to set up/tear down, and not too deep (it will be holding a relatively slim digital piano, I don't need Roland's 2ft deep Z stand). Also under $150 if possible. Was looking at the Quiklock M91 (the optional 2nd tier is a nice bonus) but Z and T stands also seem worth considering.

Related: Owners of the FP-30X/P-125/ES110 and similar pianos, how sturdy are your dedicated stands with the 3-pedal board (which looks like it would help brace)?

I finally made it to Guitar Center and saw a P-45 on its dedicated furniture stand (the P-125 and FP-30X were on wall racks) and holy moly was it wobbly. Pretty sure my 2 year old could collapse it - not just knock it over, which could be fixed by a wall anchor, but literally cause it to fall apart - by carelessly running into it. It didn't have a pedal board though :shrug:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Discussion Quorum posted:

Looking for a keyboard stand recommendation. I'd like it to be sturdy (resistant to getting bumped), relatively easy to set up/tear down, and not too deep (it will be holding a relatively slim digital piano, I don't need Roland's 2ft deep Z stand). Also under $150 if possible. Was looking at the Quiklock M91 (the optional 2nd tier is a nice bonus) but Z and T stands also seem worth considering.

Related: Owners of the FP-30X/P-125/ES110 and similar pianos, how sturdy are your dedicated stands with the 3-pedal board (which looks like it would help brace)?

I finally made it to Guitar Center and s aw a P-45 on its dedicated furniture stand (the P-125 and FP-30X were on wall racks) and holy moly was it wobbly. Pretty sure my 2 year old could collapse it - not just knock it over, which could be fixed by a wall anchor, but literally cause it to fall apart - by carelessly running into it. It didn't have a pedal board though :shrug:

Coincidentally, I just ordered the stand and pedal set for my FP-30X last week and will be picking it up in a few days. I'll be sure to post a first impressions.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

FP10 owner here with the single brace, non-3 pedal stand BUT no shake at all. No side to side. No back and front. Solid as the proverbial and I expect the FP30 stand will be better.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I have the Knox Gear Z stand and am happy with it. It's pretty stable, although the keyboard isn't really locked in place so it's not impossible to move it accidentally.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That's good to hear, especially because I ended up liking the feel of the FP-30X over the P-125. That said, this particular P-125 was handicapped by being nonfunctional and with some broken keys, so probably not a great example of the type! :classiclol: I'm going to another Guitar Center tonight to form a second opinion but there's probably a reason the Roland gets recommended so often in this thread.

The Kawai showroom up the road from me told me this morning that the supply of ES110s is not keeping up with demand and they don't even have a demo unit currently. Kind of a shame, because I heard really good things about it, although in the tradeoff between having a USB interface with audio (Yamaha/Roland) and MIDI DIN (Kawai), I think the USB is probably better for me.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

The P515 stand is pretty sturdy, though I wouldn't stand on it or anything. The way the 3-pedal assembly attaches doesn't really add much strength, and in retrospect I would've got the stand but kept the single pedal that came with the piano.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ended up getting the Yamaha. The Roland action did feel a little better but the Yamaha seems fine, and is a big step up from my semi-weighted Novation. On balance the Yamaha also had some nice intangibles (I liked the sound better, a proper USB ASIO driver, 6lb lighter), whereas the Roland's Bluetooth wasn't as high on my list. I plan on upgrading to something much nicer a few years down the road anyways and keeping the slab as a portable/backup.

I just picked up the stand and triple pedal, and yeah in the case of Yamaha (pretty sure it's the same pedal unit for the P-125 and P-515) I can see that it won't do much. For the Roland and Kawai it's more like an additional cross-brace.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

I ended up getting the Yamaha. The Roland action did feel a little better but the Yamaha seems fine, and is a big step up from my semi-weighted Novation. On balance the Yamaha also had some nice intangibles (I liked the sound better, a proper USB ASIO driver, 6lb lighter), whereas the Roland's Bluetooth wasn't as high on my list. I plan on upgrading to something much nicer a few years down the road anyways and keeping the slab as a portable/backup.

I just picked up the stand and triple pedal, and yeah in the case of Yamaha (pretty sure it's the same pedal unit for the P-125 and P-515) I can see that it won't do much. For the Roland and Kawai it's more like an additional cross-brace.

I bought a p-125 with stand and pedals this year and i think its acceptable. Then again i use pianoteq instead of p-125's built in samples. (i also change velocity settings)

Also after i installed the "anti-wobble/fall" metal piece on the foot of the stand it stands standly. jojo.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
What do folks think the likelihood of Yamaha coming out with an upgrade to the P-515 this year like they surprisingly just did with the DGX-670 is?

I want to pull the trigger on a P-515 in a month or two but I'm going to be kicking myself forever if they immediately pop out a 525 or whatever right afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Looking for some advice on mechanical keyboards.

I'd like a mechanical (digital) piano to upgrade my 20 year old Studiologic midi controller. I have a few piano VST's on Kontact / gigastudio, so the quality of the polyphony / speakers of the new controller isn't much of an issue. A good 88 weighted mechanical keyboard with great key action would be ideal.

We already have an upright piano, but I can't plug in an earphone jack - and it gets rather fussy during this time of year due to tge humidity.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!