Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's not a very good movie but I'll buy it.
Has to at least be an interesting mess.

See:
Roar
Howard the Duck
Etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Has to at least be an interesting mess.

See:
Roar
Howard the Duck
Etc

It's not on that level. It's just kind of a half baked script working on a budget too low to do the ideas it has right. There's a pretty fun song and dance number though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was gonna throw down the cash just for the signed Elvira poster alone until I found out it was $80.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

King Vidiot posted:

It's my whole life's philosophy now. It's why I own Little Monsters on blu ray and have my eye on Drop Dead Fred, and why I'll blind buy 100 bucks worth of movies from Severin or VinSyn after telling myself it's the last time.

I have way too many movies i haven't seen so I'm trying to restrict myself to ones I've already seen and enjoyed.

It's not working.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Cloks posted:

I have way too many movies i haven't seen so I'm trying to restrict myself to ones I've already seen and enjoyed.

It's not working.

I've tried self control but it's not for me.

I've got digital codes for Indy x4, Speed, Jaws, Collateral, Air Force One, and Willy Wonka. Shoot me a pm if you want any of them.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 6, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

yoohoo posted:

I've tried self control but it's not for me.

I've got digital codes for Indy x4, Speed, Jaws, Collateral, Air Force One, and Willy Wonka. Shoot me a pm if you want any of them.

I've found myself having a weird second wind with just normal rear end Bluray. There's so many movies, and they don't cost much!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Lol, I just ordered Halloween 3 over the weekend but ah well. Like others, I’ll just wait for them to release them individually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Lol, I just ordered Halloween 3 over the weekend but ah well. Like others, I’ll just wait for them to release them individually.

They're all up for sale individually. They're just also selling a big pack.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're all up for sale individually. They're just also selling a big pack.

Hellllll yeah, just came here to quote that I missed that! I’ll wait for the reviews but, it’ll happen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think I'm just gonna upgrade my 3. I've already got 1 in the big set and the previous uhd, and I'm honestly not super into any of the others.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
How do you lunatics afford all this poo poo?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

CPL593H posted:

Who said anything about affording it?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CPL593H posted:

You only need one kidney and also your body will just make more plasma.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I turn my unemployment checks into Arrow and Criterion releases, OP

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most months there's only maybe one or two releases that I'm interested in. Sure, sometimes that one thing is like, the Indiana Jones series and I'm spending a big chunk of money but those are few and far between compared to the times it's like $20 one week and then maybe another $20 two weeks later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

If you kidnap a rich person's baby they'll usually pay the ransom and the baby doesn't even remember it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Not buying concert tickets/merch/airfare for a year and a half left a lotta wiggle room.

poo poo pops off in September though. :getin:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Contract killing, organ harvesting, the usual.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a resource to check whether it's "worth it" to upgrade something to 4k? I'm asking specifically about Fury Road, which I've heard mixed things about since it's an upscale, but I'm sure I'll have the same question for a number of my favorite movies.

If you just want to know whether a particular film is an upscale there's https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/
But, of course, it doesn't tell you how good the HDR is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

Not buying concert tickets/merch/airfare for a year and a half left a lotta wiggle room.

poo poo pops off in September though. :getin:

:lol:

My Blu-ray player is ready for the dark winter ahead

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I'll tell you it was pretty expensive, but this counterfeit money printer pays for itself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

Serious answer, I'm working poor but I live in a really low cost area and I have like $200 or so in entertainment budget a month. If I buy fewer games or other stuff then I can buy a ton of blu rays, I just have to ease off a bit after the big sales.

I don't often spend that much a month on blus, probably more like $50 a month at most, usually less. The sales are where I go nuts sometimes :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With Fury Road there's a specific issue with the blown out CG flames that are actually a legit downgrade from the regular blu ray. They take you out of the movie and for Fury Road that's a huge deal because it's one of the most immersive action movies out there. So it's a case that goes beyond just being not worth the upgrade. In the case of Ghostbusters it's more subjective because the issue is about whether or not the UHD goes overboard with the heavy grain. Fury Road is very clear cut, the flames look terrible on the UHD.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And honestly the best bet for Fury Road is getting that collection that has a Blu Ray, 4K and the Black and Chrome version. It was on sale for $20 something a month ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
DiabolikDVD shipped my Bird With Crystal Plumage 4k UHD this morning.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

CPL593H posted:

don’t have kids

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Paypal pay later!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can go months without buying new discs. This last month or so just happened to see the release of Indy and Howard the Duck on UHD, and Shout and Criterion sales.

My trips to the theater are at a 10 year low too, and those add up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

computer touching

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I can go months without buying new discs. This last month or so just happened to see the release of Indy and Howard the Duck on UHD, and Shout and Criterion sales.

My trips to the theater are at a 10 year low too, and those add up.

Most of my new discs are from the Vinegar Syndrome yearly package, I spent $800 in November to get the Scanner Cop set in June :smug:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Decided to whale on the Arrow sale

Pitch Black 4k, Last Starfighter, The Crazies, American Werewolf in London, Season of the Witch, Hellraiser 1 +2, Re-Animator, and Mallrats

Someone help movie collecting sends too much dopamine to my brain

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Decided to whale on the Arrow sale

Pitch Black 4k, Last Starfighter, The Crazies, American Werewolf in London, Season of the Witch, Hellraiser 1 +2, Re-Animator, and Mallrats

Someone help movie collecting sends too much dopamine to my brain

Their Re-animator release is fantastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I travel constantly for work, so most of my food during the week is paid for and I get reimbursed for vehicle mileage. Also no kids and I barely spend any money on anything else after bills. Also resell some stuff - about to get $200 for a Woody Allen set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In my situation aside from it not being a good idea to spend all kinds of money on this stuff I don't really have space for it so for those and some other reasons I've reached the "How much of this poo poo do I really need?" stage of my life. I just can't believe how many of you keep up with all these sales. I might get one or two movies every few months for something so it also leads me to really think about what movie I get from what sale. I did splurge on the VS Syndrome sale from last month though. I got the UFO Abduction, Decoder, and Taking Tiger Mountain. I'm also going to pick up Bamboozled from the Criterion sale but that's as extravagant as I get.

Oh, and I hope no one takes this a judgement on buying dumb poo poo. I have a whole bunch of hobbies based around buying dumb poo poo.

John Romero posted:

don’t have kids

lol, I can barely take care of myself.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

Priorities. If my wife and I go full bore into focusing on saving money (putting away at least ~$2,000 per month), then after all our household expenses (we have 2 kids and own a house) there's not a whole lot left over for extraneous Blu-ray spending. But if we're in sort of a "gently caress it" phase, I bring in plenty of money to blow on plastic poo poo to put on my shelf. Also depends on what other hobbies I'm into at the moment. Woodworking, for instance, is expensive as hell.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Movies are my main hobby, and I'm a very impulsive spender.

I'm a lot better about it now than I was when I first started working and blowing all of my paychecks before the next one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does Arrow have any kind of US site that’s doing a sale?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Compared to my spending on used books my movie shopping doesn’t look that bad. That’s an easy trap to fall in $5 there, $10 there, and suddenly your mailbox is stuffed full. Sometimes you’ve moved on to another fleeting interest by the time they actually show up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xenomrph posted:

Does Arrow have any kind of US site that’s doing a sale?

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product-category/browse-by-label/arrow-releasing/camp-arrow/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

caligulamprey posted:

I was gonna throw down the cash just for the signed Elvira poster alone until I found out it was $80.

That's actually cheaper than her usual rate!