Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thread title

Steve French posted:

I rode my bike past a two story bathroom today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

At least he didn't notch the joists for this

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Reminds me of the Cleveland gag from Family Guy. "No, no, no, no, NOOOO!"

FogHelmut posted:

Thread title

There isn't a toilet up top, just a hole in the floor.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 6, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Two-storey shitters were seriously a thing. The upper level had its bench set further into the room. A false wall on the lower level enabled the poop from above to sail on by to the cesspit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pseudorandom posted:

I put way too much effort into making this dumb video (sound required):

https://i.imgur.com/0CkNfNO.mp4

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Two-storey shitters were seriously a thing. The upper level had its bench set further into the room. A false wall on the lower level enabled the poop from above to sail on by to the cesspit.

Weren't they also useful in places that got a lot of snow in the winter, or am I misremembering something that I may or may not have learned as a kid?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Weren't they also useful in places that got a lot of snow in the winter, or am I misremembering something that I may or may not have learned as a kid?

That story is told at several tourist sites. In some cases, it is enhanced by the absence of stairs to the second level. The reality isn’t that people would climb snow drifts to get in; it’s that the toilet was once attached to a two-storey inhabited structure that has since been demolished.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thank you for helping me untangle the lies of my childhood.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCx99veMaI

EDIT: Apparently the conduit has been there since 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtvxo_q2V1A

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 7, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Found on my lunch hour browsing of /r/HomeImprovement:

quote:

Home inspection shocker - 20’ across pit potentially a portal into a different world - help?

Husband and I found our dream home - front built in 1889 and the back is modernized. It rings all the bells and has emotionally hit us hard.

Seller disclosed a well under the house that “needed soil every ten years” - that raised my eyebrow as I’ve been around a few wells and they don’t wash out from what I know of them.

We are currently under contract on said home (ya I know I’m excited too).

The home inspector (specializes in historic homes) was thinking it was a cistern not a well and assured me he would figure it all out. Anyways. It’s a well. It’s 20’ across right now. He said he’s never seen anything like it before. About waist deep but he was unwilling to test if it was actually deeper and he was unwilling to get closer. It’s already eaten one of the piers.

I’m absolutely devastated. Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? We’re looking for structural engineers and well experts to see if it can live on. We found out the seller knew it was 20’ across but only disclosed it as a well that needed soil.

:stare::stare::stare:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sirotan posted:

I'm thinking maybe a mine shaft?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm thinking maybe a mine shaft?

I was thinking sinkhole

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

I was thinking sinkhole

Mine shafts and sink holes have a lot in common. It could be one that has become the other! :v:

I love that they're seeing how much money they can throw into the literal hole. How is that house not condemned?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably because the hole was the previous owner’s secret until it went up for sale. Nobody in a position to condemn is aware.

I’m just blown away that they went through and are under contract, though. People get too emotionally attached to the idea of a home they like.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Probably because the hole was the previous owner’s secret until it went up for sale. Nobody in a position to condemn is aware.

I’m just blown away that they went through and are under contract, though. People get too emotionally attached to the idea of a home they like.

Oh yeah I get it, but now. How? Holy christ.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Oh yeah I get it, but now. How? Holy christ.

The vibe I got was that they're trying to feel out if this is fixable/within their budget for fixing. They're in love with the house (first mistake, but who among us), it's not completely irrational to get an idea what a possible fix would entail. Either they can afford it and proceed, or they can walk away knowing it was unsalvageable.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

I would hope that the contract has an inspection clause, and this should be enough to get them out of the contract if it does.

Although, a lot of people are doing crazy things to buy a house these days, including forgoing inspection. The buyer for my mom's house a few months back bought it sight unseen with no inspection. Of course, my mom did basically a full gut and reno less than 5 years ago and provided tons of documentation to go along with that...

EDIT: I tracked the post down, and yeah, they can still back out of the contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/ofj69o/home_inspection_shocker_20_across_pit_potentially/h4dzipu/?context=3

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 7, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sirotan posted:

Money Pit re-make saving a ton on CGI

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

The vibe I got was that they're trying to feel out if this is fixable/within their budget for fixing.

All it needs is some dirt every 10 years no big deal.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
What the gently caress, you absolutely can back out of that deal and probably get your earnest money back.

"Yeah this house you tried to sell me has a bottomless pit under it, give me my $3000 back and go gently caress yourself."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The neverending shitter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sleepy gary posted:

All it needs is some dirt every 10 years no big deal.

The setup for a bad horror movie right there. THE HOUSE THATS ALWAYS FEEDING.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

3000 1/2 inch slices of 2x4, burned with a brulee torch then loctited to the wall in a herringbone pattern

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vim Fuego posted:

3000 1/2 inch slices of 2x4, burned with a brulee torch then loctited to the wall in a herringbone pattern

I'm suddenly feeling nauseous.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm so annoyed at that light switch

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Vim Fuego posted:

I don't hate it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

8one6 posted:

I don't hate it.

Me neither. I'm not keen on the loctite but it's kind of neat. In a big room it could look nice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

8one6 posted:

I don't hate it.

It's not a bad look but I hope they put some kind of finish/sealer on it after the burn, open end grain is impossible to dust.

Well, I say impossible, you could probably attack it with a stiff brush or something to get the worst off but :effort:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A slightly opaque sealer to soften the effect a bit and I'm all for it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hope it’s easy to get off when the next owner removes it a year from now. Maybe you just resheet the wall.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd go for that as a floor, not where it would be attacking my eyes every time I swung past it like some architectural gorgon.

Maybe a small work surface. Like, a workbench, not the entire kitchen.

e: Also, I enjoy the collection of walking sticks tucked in the corner there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's cool as a piece of art, but not a permanent fixture.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

This looks like an IRL HDR real estate photo

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Hope it’s easy to get off when the next owner removes it a year from now. Maybe you just resheet the wall.

At the very least you're going at it with a prybar, popping every single one of those off individually, and then probably giving the wall a skim coat before painting again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I kind of like it, depending on how the rest of the room is done and assuming it's sealed. (Pretend.)

For removal you would pry one off and use that to get your wrecking hammer behind it and pull the rest of the wall down. Trying to salvage 4 sheets of drywall is a dumb idea.

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
That would be better as like a small section of wall or something, its way too much as an entire wall.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

urzaserra256 posted:

That would be better as like a small section of wall or something, its way too much as an entire wall.

Perhaps "Live, Laugh, Love"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

urzaserra256 posted:

Even better if it was 3D, and functional.

That's a skyline diffuser. It helps scatter the echoes in a hard room which helps get rid of that "boxy" sound.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 8, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MisterOblivious posted:

That's a skyline diffuser. It helps scatter the echoes in a hard room which helps get rid of that "boxy" sound.

Did I stumble into the audiophile thread again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Tell me you won't be the one dusting without telling me you won't be the one dusting"