Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bricklink: there were roughly 2500 sets sold to scalpers. We're not going to do anything about it, though. It was an error on our part and it wouldn't be fair to the scalpers to cut their orders from 5 to 1.

Uh huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Could we just change the number of every order to 1? Yeah. Will we? No.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Actually, they said 75% of orders were for 1. Not 75% of the sets. That would mean that the number is lower than 7500. Probably much lower. If 6000 people ordered 1 and 2000 ordered 2, that is still 75%. And now the numbers are starting to look really bad because it is very likely the numbers are much worse. I'd guess that at least 1/2 the sets were ordered by resellers.

They really should cut all orders to 1.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'd say cut it to two, because there are collectors out there who like to have one sealed and one to open, which is justifiable. There is no good excuse for buying 5.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Bad Poster posted:

I'd say cut it to two, because there are collectors out there who like to have one sealed and one to open, which is justifiable. There is no good excuse for buying 5.

Keeping Lego in sealed boxes is not reasonable. The only reason to do that is to resell them at some point.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not gonna say it's anything close to a majority, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people like to display/just have sealed boxed stuff too. For some people there's the collection aspect, and selling/trading along parts of it are part of that but not the actual goal, which I think is a meaningful distinction.

Beyond that too, I have a few old sets that I ended up just never opening. At first it was by accident, but at this point I never want to, and I don't have any intention of selling them either. Honestly I get way more joy out of getting to look at the old style boxes and rattle them around from time to time than I think I ever would by assembling them and letting them languish.

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be torn up about skipping Docks. The original City is my favorite set but I sold my copy of Docks and never looked back.

I'm surprised by the Docks hate itt; it's definitely a less immediately impressive set, but I think the contrast of tall city + short docks is a lot more effective than just the city by itself, and the individual rooms on the docks are imo a bit more interesting.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1412899235469701124?s=19

lol

Their warrant probably had something like 'any and all materials related to government buildings' in it.

But still lol.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 8, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Koramei posted:

I'm surprised by the Docks hate itt; it's definitely a less immediately impressive set, but I think the contrast of tall city + short docks is a lot more effective than just the city by itself, and the individual rooms on the docks are imo a bit more interesting.
In my opinion, Docks mostly just served to make City look more imposing and impressive in comparison, which it didn't really need. It had some nice interiors, sure, but none of the "wow" moments of City for me except for maybe the vending machine. It didn't help that they focused on the lower levels / old city aesthetic, which was not nearly as interesting to me as all the cyberpunk stuff, but that's entirely personal bias.

edit: Focusing on making the rear of it the 'presentation' angle instead of the front was also a misstep, and the docks themselves were really not the highlight. Felt like a decent amount of wasted space there with its larger footprint.

It was perfectly good, and compared to the average LEGO set it was utterly phenomenal (as high priced, adult oriented D2C sets tend to be), but it's nearly impossible not to compare it to City and Gardens, and that's where my negativity comes from.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 8, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

What's the deal with B-wings? They don't look like a B, why call it a B-wing? X-wing looks like an X, makes sense. The B-wing looks like a T, they should call it a t-wing.

Actually...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Think the Seinfeld set will immediately sell out? I guess I should get my order in while I can.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RatHat posted:

Think the Seinfeld set will immediately sell out? I guess I should get my order in while I can.

It’s going to sit on Lego store shelves for the next 2 years easily. You’ll be fine.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

Brickset: Bricklink responds to crowdfunding problems

There's a bit to talk about here! I'll focus on a few particulars:

People were already surprised and disappointed to find out that all 5,000 copies of the Castle in the Forest had sold out within about 40 minutes of its month-and-a-half crowdsourcing period, but now we learn that, in reality, they actually (accidentally) sold TEN thousand copies of the set in that time period.

Okay. A lot of people were speculating that the low production quantity and high purchase limit of 5 per customer were a deliberate tactic to encourage resellers, since Bricklink is a website explicitly for LEGO resellers. Perhaps that's true and they're just lying about it here. Or perhaps Occam's Razor applies: they really did just not put very much thought into this at all. I'm getting shocked Pikachu vibes from the "woah, people bought extras to resell?" part there.

Also, they mention that 75% of the Castle sets were sold to just 1 person, but that means that (up to, but not necessarily) 25% of them, or 2,500, were purchased for resale purposes, which still feels like a lot.

There you have it, the main concerns pretty much addressed. I think this is about as reasonable an approach as they could have possibly taken, but it's still kind of ridiculous that they didn't plan for these problems, especially because we can read this quote from a site moderator in the comments:

Interesting and appreciated information. I was wondering if my second order will go through and now it looks like it might. I'm just going to leave the orders as they are and see what happens. As I've said before when the Nebulon-B Frigate came out I put in three orders and was lucky one of them showed up. I'll keep the same attitude here and hope at least one castle shows up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deoju posted:

lol

Their warrant probably had something like 'any and all materials related to government buildings' in it.

But still lol.

this individual also had a lego model of a personal computer, presumably the one used to communicate with other insurrectionists

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

lol

But still lol.

quote:

Authorities also collected an array of spaceship designs, suggesting a getaway to Mos Eisley where the US has no extradition treaty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know why the original Star Wars Republic Gunship(7163) is apparently so valuable? Is it the mini-figs?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Cancel all the orders of more than one set and blacklist those credit cards, addresses, etc for 12 months

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Spookydonut posted:

Cancel all the orders of more than one set and blacklist those credit cards, addresses, etc for 12 months

You’d make a terrible businessperson. “Yeah, let’s blacklist our most prolific customers. Good business decision.”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On day one, make people pay for 10% of the purchase with VIP points to be able to place an order.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

RatHat posted:

Anyone know why the original Star Wars Republic Gunship(7163) is apparently so valuable? Is it the mini-figs?

I had some sweet printed parts. Maybe that? Also Jedi Bob has a cult following, and the Super Battle Droids were metallic blue back then, so yeah the figs too.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Earth posted:

You’d make a terrible businessperson. “Yeah, let’s blacklist our most prolific customers. Good business decision.”

Clearly a joke but I see how it’d hit a little too close to home :rolleyes:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

N17R4M posted:

I had some sweet printed parts. Maybe that? Also Jedi Bob has a cult following, and the Super Battle Droids were metallic blue back then, so yeah the figs too.

Unfortunately the droid arms break really easily.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Clearly a joke but I see how it’d hit a little too close to home :rolleyes:

Considering how many man-children are here it’s pretty hard to identify when someone is joking or being serious because they can’t get certain toys without paying above msrp. Speaking of, kudos to the first red title I’ve ever gotten! Thanks, stranger.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
drat lol someone really wanted that castle

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

drat lol someone really wanted that castle

Probably should have saved those $10 to help buy a castle from a scalper.

In other news check out this ideas set! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/906f72e1-46fd-4228-b364-a3fbb7cea249 This set was at about 150 supporters just a few hours ago. I bet this hits 10k shortly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Earth posted:

Probably should have saved those $10 to help buy a castle from a scalper.

In other news check out this ideas set! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/906f72e1-46fd-4228-b364-a3fbb7cea249 This set was at about 150 supporters just a few hours ago. I bet this hits 10k shortly.

"It's not a political statement, it's just me saying GME is going to the moon :smugdog:"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's on the front page of reddit now so all the meme stock dorks are doing their bandwagon thing.

To no avail, Lego will never make that set.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

xzzy posted:

It's on the front page of reddit now so all the meme stock dorks are doing their bandwagon thing.

To no avail, Lego will never make that set.

Ryan Cohen, the major owner of GameStop, tweeted that set out. He’s rich as gently caress. He might offer to grease Lego’s wheels to get it selected. GameStop has just started selling lego so that may help too. I wouldn’t be surprised if it hits 10k by Friday.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Don’t talk to me or my son ever again.

Cada’s 2021 official AE86 and Carbohydrates’ SC Style AE86

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 9, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I’m trying to think of some cool cars I haven’t seen yet and probably won’t ever unless I build them myself. I wonder if I can make a convincing Nissan R390 GT1 road car in SC style. The Prince Skyline BLRA-3 is another one to attempt.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

I’m trying to think of some cool cars I haven’t seen yet and probably won’t ever unless I build them myself. I wonder if I can make a convincing Nissan R390 GT1 road car in SC style. The Prince Skyline BLRA-3 is another one to attempt.

787B would be dope as hell speaking of Japanese Le Mans cars.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Please someone make my 94' Ford Ranger.

GOD PLEASE

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

N17R4M posted:

It also just seems like one of the more popular prequel ships and hasn't been made in years.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lol That game stop thing is already at 10k.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just looked it up out of morbid curiosity, and wow. That is the bar none the absolute worst thing I have ever seen reach 10k, by such a wide margin. I think people can get a bit hyperbolic about how bad a lot of the 10k builds are sometimes, but that is truly horrible lol. Not that it will ever get made but jfc just burn Lego Ideas to the ground and make it into something better.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

veni veni veni posted:

I just looked it up out of morbid curiosity, and wow. That is the bar none the absolute worst thing I have ever seen reach 10k, by such a wide margin. I think people can get a bit hyperbolic about how bad a lot of the 10k builds are sometimes, but that is truly horrible lol. Not that it will ever get made but jfc just burn Lego Ideas to the ground and make it into something better.

Because it's not a real submission. It's just a meme for brain dead mush-heads.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

It also just seems like one of the more popular prequel ships and hasn't been made in years.

I wonder if it’s appreciably higher than the more recent one, I’m too lazy to look. And of course, we know the UCS one is supposedly coming soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How the hell does GameStop have fans? If it wasn’t for the stock bullshit they’d still be solely remembered for abusing their employees and pushing lovely magazine subscriptions with every purchase.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Because the kind of people who post on reddit are the kind of people who are basic enough to strongly identify with a certain brand as representative of their childhood joy and *realises what thread I'm in and tugs collar nervously*

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Earth posted:

Are GameStops particularly well-known for having mannequins in the front windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How the hell does GameStop have fans? If it wasn’t for the stock bullshit they’d still be solely remembered for abusing their employees and pushing lovely magazine subscriptions with every purchase.

The lovely stock bullshit is the set. The wallstreetbets guy is on the back painting a line