Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

The one thing I legitimately still miss on a laptop is SD card slots. I do enough photo work that it’s noticeable. I have the dongles, I’d rather it be built in. But I’m not getting that on a modern mac so I’ve made my peace with it.

current rumours and spec leaks suggest they're coming back to the pros at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those FUCKERS are going to find a way to make me spend more on a PRO *just* when I got myself psyched up to finally spend less on a consumer model :argh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
SD Express (NVMe SD cards) seems like it'll finally actually be a thing soon so hoping the new Macs will have that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They won't allow that. They want to upsell you on a larger internal SSD for an extra $400.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

They won't allow that. They want to upsell you on a larger internal SSD for an extra $400.
Why risk it on an upsell when they can just roll it in as a standard feature and raise the base price for everyone!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

japtor posted:

Why risk it on an upsell when they can just roll it in as a standard feature and raise the base price for everyone!

You can put higher margins on the the upsell and you'll still pay it, but the headlines will be better.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Been thinking about just getting a refurb M1 Air (16 GB, 512 SSD) and working with that until the new Pros come out in October, then see what kind of a trade-in I'll get by then for the Pro..

I'll just get a TB3 NVMe enclosure if I want to run any VMs, and a decent 4K LG monitor for screen bigness..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I genuinely curious how much perf per volume can be had with the future M arch (desktop). I'd really like them to make a mini pro or pro mini or whatever just as a proof of concept even.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I genuinely curious how much perf per volume can be had with the future M arch (desktop). I'd really like them to make a mini pro or pro mini or whatever just as a proof of concept even.

i don’t think it’s what you mean but the new mac pro by all indications is going to be a bitsy babby mac

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Been thinking about just getting a refurb M1 Air (16 GB, 512 SSD) and working with that until the new Pros come out in October, then see what kind of a trade-in I'll get by then for the Pro..

I'm also thinking something like this, like getting a mini and selling it in two months when I move. This 2015 MBP is showing its age, and maybe getting a new machine will motivate me to actually do some work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'll just run Windows 11/10 ARM from an SSD enclosure and pick up one of those 4K LG monitors (not the one Apple sells) for screen bigness. I oddly already have a Caldigit TS3 Plus that I got in a lightning sale..

Getting sick of nothing readily available for TB2 ports and half the people I support already have M1 machines, and I don't feel it's worth it to hack my 5,1 with a Titan Ridge TB card or go past Mojave on it..

Bad enough that Monterey officially ganks most pre-2015 Macs, but I can see their point with wanting to EOL Macs with sufficiently old enough Intel chips; I remember how there was weeping and gnashing of teeth with PPC to Intel, but the situation was different in that Motorola/IBM decided they didn't want to play keeping up with Intel unless Apple actually paid them off to do so..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2021

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Binary Badger posted:

I'll just run Windows 11/10 ARM from an SSD enclosure and pick up one of those 4K LG monitors (not the one Apple sells) for screen bigness. I oddly already have a Caldigit TS3 Plus that I got in a lightning sale..

Getting sick of nothing readily available for TB2 ports (other than the old TB2 Station that provides one useful port, the rest are eSATA and FW400/800) and half the people I support already have M1 machines, and I don't feel it's worth it to hack my 5,1 with a Titan Ridge TB card or go past Mojave on it..

I dont think you'll need a whole separate drive for W10 ARM. Unless there was a recent development i havent heard about you can't natively install W10 ARM on the M1 machines or run bootcamp. Gotta use Parallels and create a virtual disk

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah but I don't want to gently caress myself over if the Windows image begins to grow / take over more and more of a 256/512 GB SSD and I probably can't afford Apple's prices for 1 TB right this second.

Also running Boot Camp on M1s is a foregone non-starter not only because of CPU architectures, but there's no EFI in the M1 machines..

(Microsoft wrote SurfaceEFI for the Pro X, but I doubt Apple would want to license from them..)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 7, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://9to5mac.com/2021/07/08/apple-time-capsule-failure-hard-drive/

According to a German data recovery vendor, there is a defect in the design of Seagate Grenada hard drives that Apple used to use in their Time Capsules, specifically the parking ramp for the drive head; after a while the ramp deforms the read/write head, which then proceeds to ruin the hard drive substrate the next time the drive accesses data..

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Yeesh. My Time Capsule is actually too old to be impacted by this particular issue, but on the flipside its OLD and small and its my backup.

Is there a thread-recommended plug and play solution for local backup that plays nice with Time Machine? I don't really care for cloud/subscription products

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yeesh. My Time Capsule is actually too old to be impacted by this particular issue, but on the flipside its OLD and small and its my backup.

Is there a thread-recommended plug and play solution for local backup that plays nice with Time Machine? I don't really care for cloud/subscription products

i would get a synology nas tbqh. you can use it to back up anything in your house, including time machine afaik. you can get a diskless 2-bay unit and buy your own, or find one with drives on sale. if you're strictly looking to back up and nothing else, it'll be fine (you can have one drive mirroring the other so you're not screwed as long as the unit doesn't fry). if you're interesting in using it as a platform to run small server apps (you can google what they can do), you might want to spend a little more on one of their models that comes with more ram.

ds220j: 2 bays, 512mb ram https://amzn.to/36o7gyh

ds220+: 2 bays, 2gb ram https://amzn.to/3AFWTUu

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 9, 2021

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I just purchased a 13" 2020 i5 1TB MBP to replace my 2017 and am starting to have regrets past the 14-day mark for an M1.

At first, I was averse to 1st Generation tech especially with Apple in mid-rollout of the chip. With a bunch of features M1-only coming, it makes me want to sell or trade up. I was torn between better performance (This seemed debated at first but now most reports state the M1 is better) or better battery life. In the end, the performance metric won since I equated the M1 to an i3.

Should I keep my 10th Gen i5 and be happy, trade/sell to an M1, or wait until the next generation of chips?

My main use is just browsing with tons of tabs, email, discord, telegram, etc. Basically, a bunch of stuff that's open at the same time eating CPU and RAM.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At this point since you are out of the return window I’d wait.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

I just purchased a 13" 2020 i5 1TB MBP to replace my 2017 and am starting to have regrets past the 14-day mark for an M1.

At first, I was averse to 1st Generation tech especially with Apple in mid-rollout of the chip. With a bunch of features M1-only coming, it makes me want to sell or trade up. I was torn between better performance (This seemed debated at first but now most reports state the M1 is better) or better battery life. In the end, the performance metric won since I equated the M1 to an i3.

Should I keep my 10th Gen i5 and be happy, trade/sell to an M1, or wait until the next generation of chips?

My main use is just browsing with tons of tabs, email, discord, telegram, etc. Basically, a bunch of stuff that's open at the same time eating CPU and RAM.

i'd bring it in and ask for a return nicely

they loosened the return window for iphones etc. due to covid and few weeks ago they were still letting people returning stuff outside the window depending on how nicely you ask

i'd do it asap

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EconOutlines posted:

IDK how you decided M1 == i3 performance, but that was not the correct take. For most purposes, M1 is faster than any Intel CPU Apple has ever shipped in a MacBook (Pro). There's a few things where the 8-core i9 chips used in high end 2018 and 2019 16" MBPs can compete, but other than that, M1's just better than all of it.

I'm probably not helping you with your regrets but I can tell you it's wild having a fanless M1 Air that's usually faster at compiling things than my high end iMac.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
also if you do the thermal pad mod to dissipate heat to the bottom chassis on the m1 air you can basically have a macbook pro m1 level sustained performance with the air's battery life and acoustic

the bottom chassis seem to be able to soak up a lot of heat, people have gotten their cinebench to be unthrottled for 30+ minutes with the mod

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EconOutlines posted:

In the end, the performance metric won since I equated the M1 to an i3.

lmao, I don't mean to pick on you but that was a pretty poor assessment.

At this point I imagine that you're gonna lose roughly the same amount whether you trade it in now or in 12 months. If you can't get Apple to take your new lap heater back for the full retail price then I'd probably see what a trade-in would be. If it's less than like, IDK, 90% of the computer's new value, I'd use it for a year and then probably try to trade it in for 2022's new hotness.

As much as an M1 Air would probably beat the computer that you ultimately got, I don't know that I'd personally feel right eating the extra cost in an immediate trade-in just to trade down to an M1 Air instead of a Pro, but it's definitely an option as well.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BobHoward posted:

IDK how you decided M1 == i3 performance, but that was not the correct take.

Well that could have been the right assessment if the Mac was made by Nintendo :v:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It’s my understanding that the secondary market for used Macs is still very strong even with the architecture change so when the next generation comes along you probably won’t be out all that much if you want an upgrade.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Quick question, I'm looking to buy an M1 Air off the refurbished store and also trade-in my old MacBook Pro, but I don't see a way to use the trade-in option as a credit on the purchase. Is that not just a thing I can do or am I looking at the website wrong?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Quick question, I'm looking to buy an M1 Air off the refurbished store and also trade-in my old MacBook Pro, but I don't see a way to use the trade-in option as a credit on the purchase. Is that not just a thing I can do or am I looking at the website wrong?

I don’t think it’s an option on the refurb store. Maybe if you call Apple they can do the trade in and then you can use a gift card on the shop?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

mentholmoose posted:

There's a trade-in link separate from the purchase process that'll let you get a gift card without buying anything, but you won't get the credit 'til you send in the mac and they look it over (it's through Phobio, at least in Canada) so the timing may be all borked for you if you don't have a machine to bridge you from your old Pro to the new M1 Air.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

Alternatively, yeah, I would call Apple in case there's a workaround.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you have a store close to you check if you can trade in at the store.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

DirtyRobot posted:

There's a trade-in link separate from the purchase process that'll let you get a gift card without buying anything, but you won't get the credit 'til you send in the mac and they look it over (it's through Phobio, at least in Canada) so the timing may be all borked for you if you don't have a machine to bridge you from your old Pro to the new M1 Air.

Unfortunately I think this is the issue I'm going to run into, and I haven't found any better solution either. I might just have to trade in the old laptop for a gift card or resell the laptop on here instead.

Thank you all for the help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

Yeah I don’t wanna pile on but I bought two 2020 MBPs and traded them both in for M1 laptops this year even though it cost me several hundred dollars. The battery life, cooler performance and instant wake were worth it alone for me.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah I don’t wanna pile on but I bought two 2020 MBPs and traded them both in for M1 laptops this year even though it cost me several hundred dollars. The battery life, cooler performance and instant wake were worth it alone for me.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the brutal honesty. I'll probably suck it up and resell it, even it's a few extra bucks out of pocket for an M1. The chip seems worth it along with the battery life. The thing that really bugged me is the 16GB ram limitation. Is it just the Intel i5 on my 2017 MBP or am I just being unreasonable with performance? I'm usually having 3-5 apps in the background plus 10-12 tabs in Chrome/FF bringing it to a crawl but it's no issue for my desktop 9900K and 64GB ram.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the brutal honesty. I'll probably suck it up and resell it, even it's a few extra bucks out of pocket for an M1. The chip seems worth it along with the battery life. The thing that really bugged me is the 16GB ram limitation. Is it just the Intel i5 on my 2017 MBP or am I just being unreasonable with performance? I'm usually having 3-5 apps in the background plus 10-12 tabs in Chrome/FF bringing it to a crawl but it's no issue for my desktop 9900K and 64GB ram.

The laptops they replaced (Air and the 2-port MBP) could only upgrade to 16gb anyways, even on the Intel side. It may not be a chip limitation, strictly a SKU/marketing thing. The M1 is a like for like replacements, baring the single external monitor thing.
They will likely update the 4-port MBP in the next refresh but that could be anywhere from 2 months to sometime next year. That will probably allow greater than 16gb since the one it's replacing wasn't restricted to 16gb to begin with.

I don't use FF/Chrome but even with several tabs in Safari and a Windows VM taking 8gb my MBA runs great with 16gb.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EconOutlines posted:

I think you should wait for the next MBP drop later this year before jumping into trading for a new computer.

I think the incoming 14” might be what you’re hoping for in terms of available RAM.

That said, if all you do is post and surf with it, then saving some money with a 16gb Air is probably a good option too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"3-5 apps plus 12 chrome tabs" does not sound like a heavy load that should be making any machine made later than 2014 chug.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that should be fine. I guess check out Activity Monitor and see if something is taking an abnormal amount of resources besides Chrome itself :v:.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

coke posted:

also if you do the thermal pad mod to dissipate heat to the bottom chassis on the m1 air you can basically have a macbook pro m1 level sustained performance with the air's battery life and acoustic

the bottom chassis seem to be able to soak up a lot of heat, people have gotten their cinebench to be unthrottled for 30+ minutes with the mod

Thanks for reminding me, I just ordered some 2mm thermal pad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The case will get hotter (obviously) so keep that in mind.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-air-with-thermal-pad-mod.2272939/page-2?post=29360844#post-29360844

quote:

It started to throttle a bit after 10 minutes, but very slightly, score dropped from initial 7784 to 7530 after 30 minutes. For comparison without thermal pads score dropped from 7751 to 6879.

But temperature-wise it was bad. Without mod, bottom reached comfortable 37°C and it felt like my Intel MBP while watching full HD Youtube video. After mod final temp was 46.2°C and it was really burning, I would definitely not want to have that on my lap. But I run such heavy and long workloads only while I'm at my desk, so it will be no problem for me. It also cooled very quickly on its own and was under 30°C in 60 seconds.
And note that it still throttled there, but looks like they figured out a trick for that by page 7, rotating cold packs :v::
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-air-with-thermal-pad-mod.2272939/post-29581820

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Data Graham posted:

"3-5 apps plus 12 chrome tabs" does not sound like a heavy load that should be making any machine made later than 2014 chug.

I think the main two issues I have are that opening the lid takes about 30 seconds for the CPU/RAM usage to level back off from a massive spike and the lack of speed opening new windows from Discord alerts. I've lost so many deals due to FF/Chrome/even Safari opening too slow vs my desktop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

japtor posted:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-air-with-thermal-pad-mod.2272939/page-2?post=29360844#post-29360844

And note that it still throttled there, but looks like they figured out a trick for that by page 7, rotating cold packs :v::
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-air-with-thermal-pad-mod.2272939/post-29581820

Meh, not worried about it. I also saw someone found that a metal laptop stand helped too, which I already have it on.

:sciencedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

japtor posted:

hilariously i actually have it inside a speck case so i don’t have to worry about dings, scratches or it getting uncomfortably warm at all :v:

so my idea was just that the chassis can soak up more heat in general with longer burst of usage, while it can still cool down relatively quickly due to the larger surface area even with a case on it

so far it’s been working great, the bareback feels a tad warm but it’s complexly a none issue with the case on

also you might try thicker pads first and only swap out for thinner ones when the case bulges with noticeable gaps when you screw if back together, you want it to bulge just a tiny bit but not enough to deform the case, then you know it’s making good contact