Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I tentatively guess that he was legit fighting with an injury that limited him. It might just be that Lopez is that good though. Though Lopez did seem pretty surprised at loma's inactivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Tosk posted:

After watching Nakatani's fight with Lomachenko, and being someone who doesn't follow the sport closely but has been following Lomachenko for some time, can anyone explain to me what exactly happened when he fought Lopez? It astonished me when I watched it. The guy looks like he has a fight IQ over 9000 most of the time.

im a total noob and the plan seemed to be loma do nothing for 8 rounds then go crazy 9 and 10. except lopez was ready for this strategy and won the decision

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Marching Powder posted:

I tentatively guess that he was legit fighting with an injury that limited him. It might just be that Lopez is that good though. Though Lopez did seem pretty surprised at loma's inactivity.

he barely threw any punches for 8 rounds; knowing that he had a severe injury makes more sense rather than teofimo just putting out those heavy intimidation vibes

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Declan MacManus posted:

he barely threw any punches for 8 rounds; knowing that he had a severe injury makes more sense rather than teofimo just putting out those heavy intimidation vibes

Yeah, this seems the likeliest explanation.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Tosk posted:

After watching Nakatani's fight with Lomachenko, and being someone who doesn't follow the sport closely but has been following Lomachenko for some time, can anyone explain to me what exactly happened when he fought Lopez? It astonished me when I watched it. The guy looks like he has a fight IQ over 9000 most of the time.

Yea, Lopez was stronger better and faster and beat the weaker, worse, and slower fighter into a pulp

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Apparently there’s been a COVID outbreak in Fury’s camp and the fight with Wilder will almost certainly be cancelled.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently there’s been a COVID outbreak in Fury’s camp and the fight with Wilder will almost certainly be cancelled.

Is it hard for adults of Fury's to get a vaccine in England at this point?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I read fury was fully vaccinated as was everyone in his corner. If he isn’t vaccinated and this fight gets postponed I’ll be so pissed off

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
For gently caress's sake.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I imagine a significant chunk of fury's camp don't wear masks and think they're too hard for a vaccine

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

For gently caress's sake.

Yeah this is ridiculous.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Absolutely not, you can walk in off the street

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Per coppinger the idea would be that this would get rescheduled to October because they want to keep it at T-Mobile Arena but that's booked in August for Pac-Spence, a UFC labor day weekend then they want to avoid AJ-Usyk on (planned for 9/25 @ Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

EDIT: Appropriate of nothing here is GGG sending some buster from Fox News who called him washed on Twitter to hell

https://twitter.com/GGGBoxing/status/1413034308063875073?s=20

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 9, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I imagine a significant chunk of fury's camp don't wear masks and think they're too hard for a vaccine

can't believe a family with a rich bareknuckle tradition and their meathead hangers-on maybe wouldn't be diligent in their vaccination procedures

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I think the other thing here is that Lopez is very fast for a guy of his relative size and strength in the division. Loma likes to lean left and counter; Teo’s reach, speed and patient didn’t give Loma a huge amount to work with before he started to try to force openings.

I’m sure the shoulder injury made it difficult as well.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 9, 2021

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

No, not at all.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Looks like Fury got Covid between his first and second dose of the vaccine. Spread through his whole camp.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Boxing just full of clowns now. Oh wait, that's since forever

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1413616572862590976?s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Lmao at the vicious Sydney diss out of nowhere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1415295294237970436

nice

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Lara Warrington Taylor Han sounds like a really scary law firm.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Marching Powder posted:

Lmao at the vicious Sydney diss out of nowhere.

Hah I was wondering, but it looks like their actual objection is to the lockdown that would be enforced upon them anywhere in that region, they don't wanna do a weight cut in lockdown :shrug:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/7/14/22577559/andy-ruiz-jr-next-fight-targeting-september-return-luis-ortiz-dillian-whyte-boxing-news-2021

Ortiz or Whyte would be a fun matchup. My gut tells me he's going to face Ortiz.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Fury-Wilder 3 has been rescheduled to October 9th. Still at T-Mobile Arena.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

Fury-Wilder 3 has been rescheduled to October 9th. Still at T-Mobile Arena.

:negative:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i can't believe pacquiao is still fighting. imo he should have retired after his last performance. it was a perfect note to go out on. i really don't like what i think is going to happen to him when he fights spence. it sucks to see a legend get brutalised because they stayed in the game too long.

on the opposite side of those compliments, bud needs to fight someone good soon because holy poo poo what an absolute waste of a career.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

It does seem weird for Pacquiao to fight again, especially after a two-year hiatus. Even minor slowdowns have such major consequences in boxing and he's 42 years old. Oh well, good luck to him of course.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Vidal vs Aleem on the Charlo undercard was pretty rad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

all of these have been good

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think a draw is fair, but Charlo was lucky to get it. This is a fight that needs to be run back though. Unsure how I feel about what was presumably a 10-8 to charlo for round 10.

undercard report:
Romero is a great heel. Can't say I love the elbows but a KD through the gloves is always impressive

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
:rip: r/boxing's Anthony Yigit and that Angelo fucker who hosts their garbage podcast and the other douchebags who appear on that poo poo

Also there should never be draws in combat sports. I don't care if someone has to robbed blind; no more draws.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

:rip: r/boxing's Anthony Yigit and that Angelo fucker who hosts their garbage podcast and the other douchebags who appear on that poo poo

Also there should never be draws in combat sports. I don't care if someone has to robbed blind; no more draws.

No love lost for those sunday puncher fuckers who somehow got control of the subreddit, but Yigit seems like a decent guy, certainly not one who deserves the elbows to the face.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

No love lost for those sunday puncher fuckers who somehow got control of the subreddit, but Yigit seems like a decent guy, certainly not one who deserves the elbows to the face.

Anyone who is down with the current r/boxing regime is instantly on my poo poo list regardless. If we see these jokers at Pac-Spence I will start swinging I expect you guys to back me up.

Ending this (half-joking) tangent my main takeaway from the fight is that there is a lot Jermell can improve on but probably not much more Castano could do. I'd expect him to get an earlier version of the Tony Harrison treatment in a rematch.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The SituAsian posted:

Ya, it should go to chin ups in the case of a draw.
e: or scissor paper stone

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 18, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Have someone whose only job is to score the last minute of the last round and to use that as a tiebreaker in the event of a draw.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Charlo had very little head movement on the ropes. It looked like he got the wrong impression when he got a lucky counter early on and thought that every pressure encounter would go that way. Dumb mistake and it nearly cost him. He could have won this fight on his jab alone but that is too boring for a guy like him. Sometimes you just have to go with it, man. Kind of like when Wlad Klitschko had his longest run as heavyweight champion with by-the-numbers distance punching and smothering everything on the inside.
I would love to watch a rematch of this one ASAP.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I was actually pretty impressed with Charlo's slowly adapting defence in this fight. Nothing flashy, but he did a lot in the mid rounds to reduce the effectiveness of Castano's flurries and combinations. Those were rounds Castano was still winning, but earlier in the fight it looked like Castano might be able to crack Charlo and Charlo pretty effectively closed the door on that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
drat, get him a fight before his body breaks again

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRg0Zh-gqem/?utm_medium=copy_link

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The Berbick fight was almost 35 years ago. It's hard to believe he's still got such movement. Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

[oldhead voice]maybe if he had that head movement in 2002 he woulda beat lewis