Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Whats the company? If its ferrel gas move on. If its someone local with a decent price (now is usually the best time to fill) I would seek to continue that relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

rdb posted:

Whats the company? If its ferrel gas move on. If its someone local with a decent price (now is usually the best time to fill) I would seek to continue that relationship.

It's Amerigas

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tyro posted:

It's Amerigas

Move on

I have had 3 different tanks now. Ferrel gas was scum, $5 a gallon, piss poor service, shady billing and would do crap like what your describing to trick people into getting on a monthly prebuy program. Amerigas is a national company and judging by their reviews scummy in much the same way.

I had a leased tank through a local furniture store. No problems at all, lease was $40 a year and the most I paid was $1.79 a gallon during the dead of winter.

I own a tank now and buy through the local ag coop. Its like $1.17 or so a gallon if I fill up now. During the winter its about the same as the furniture store.

rdb fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 8, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tezer posted:

I don't recommend screw down metal roofing for any structure with finished space below. It's designed for barns and accessory use buildings where a fastener working loose can't do much damage because the framing can dry out easily.

I especially don't recommend it for applications where you can't inspect the roof framing from below to help discover leaks as they develop. Like, if you have an attic and can conduct regular inspections - at least there is a way to discover a leak before it does tons of damage. If you have a finished ceiling you will never see a leak before it becomes a real issue.

Unless you are severely cost constrained, pay for the tear off. It gives you a chance to see if there is any existing damage to your roof sheathing before installing new roofing, and in general I'm a fan of keeping a roof's dead load as minimal as possible.

I'll 2nd this. My new place has a pole barn with exposed fasteners and just from the thermal cycling almost every single neoprene washer was delaminated. They also installed the screws on the ribs and not the flats so it never got a good squish down. To make matters worse they installed foam where the soffit vents into the garage causing severe moisture issues. I had to pull the foam, tear off the ridge cap, install a vented ridge, and then replace every single fastener on the entire roof and added fasteners to the flats. None of it was hard, but it was a pain.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Remember that you aren't the customer, they filled the old customer. You calling in and asking for a change order without a signed contract shouldn't be actionable by them. Get the contract from the previous owners to make sure they did it as expected, check in your purchase agreement from the seller if the contract transfers. If on prem propane tanks are the norm in your area I would expect it to convey.

If they violated the old owners contract you have a leg to stand on for free removal or discounted gas or service. Remember to hold firm on them taking their tank or doing on demand fills - no signing a year contract unless it's better than the competition. Have a bid in hand when you call.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Tyro posted:

It's Amerigas

I would run. Their call center had >100 minute hold times for most of the last year. They are absolutely miserable to work with.

Their tank was on my property when I moved in, so I tried to go with them, but they wanted a 3 year contract. That's ridiculous and I left it unsigned too.

Do yourself a favor and find a local energy coop and the (usually) local company they work with. My current provider is great. Time it so you burn that propane down to ~10%, get your new tanks placed and swap over, and then have them pickup.

It took me 5 months to get them to pick up their tank and resolve the billing issues they caused despite me not signing a contract with them. I had to threaten to involve the state AG's office.

KS fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 8, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I wonder what would happen if you told them to get the tank off in 30 days (be specific on which date it is) or you're going to remove it yourself. Then in 31 days call back and say you had your buddy with a loader pick up their abandoned property and put it on the curb. If you don't have a contract of course.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ughhhh. Guess I should have asked before even calling them, would have probably been easier to ditch them before giving them all my info and calling in to start service.

Yeah the tank is actually marked with the name of a local company, but Amerigas acquired them some years back and all their business/customers.

I hope that me calling in wasn't enough of a verbal contract for them to be dicks about this whole thing.

I also saw the 3 year contract thing and was going to at a minimum pen whip it out if I did decide to sign.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You're exactly where I was. I screenshotted the unsigned contract and emailed it to myself, but it wasn't an issue.

Amerigas grows by acquiring companies where the owner wants to retire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Roof chat: time for a new roof!

their quote for the corrugated metal (this stuff: https://www.abmartin.net/metal-roofing-panels/abm)

Like others, I would not put this kind of roof on a house. But AB Martin is awesome. I've bought from them many times. Very good people.

Tyro posted:

So our new-to-us house has a leased propane tank. I called the company to transfer service about a week before closing, and said I wanted will call delivery (not them automatically scheduling) and to not make the first delivery prior to closing, they confirmed they would not.

On final walkthrough I noticed the tank was full, and then I got a bill for the delivery, which was done 6 days before closing on the house.

Is this worth making a stink about? I haven't signed the customer agreement yet. So I'm not sure if they currently have a leg to stand on to charge me for removing the (now full) tank if it comes down to me switching companies. Their contract says they'll charge a fee if they have to remove a tank with >5% propane, but I haven't signed one.

Any chance they discount the 100 gal they topped off before I actually owned the house? Or is it going to just be a hassle that's best avoided by paying the bill and moving on with my life.

gently caress them. Do not sign, tell them to take their loving tank and don't do business with them every again. This is the mark of a loving scummy propane company. Surely you have a small independent that will service your home rather than Amerigas (is was them, wasn't it?) or similar/owned by them but not yet branded.

E: LOL, I didn't get to the new page where you said it was them before I posted. Never. Ever. Tell them you need their poo poo out of your yard immediately. When they tell you what the fee is to remove it tell them they have 5 days to get it before their people will get trespassed for being on your property. And if they don't get it off by them you'll file in small claim court to make them remove their garbage. DO NOT USE ANY GAS. Turn it off now and find another propane company. They will help you through this process.....they are all too accustomed to it.

FYI, Amerigas has been buying up every small family owned supplier that you used to trust as dad retires and the kids don't want the business as well as the likes of Farm And Home which used to be a trusted medium scale provider. Nobody wants to do business with them. Everyone who has has stories of top offs that were somehow $6+ per gallon propane because "you didn't use enough this year" or whatever. gently caress. Them.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Goddammit.

quote:

DO NOT USE ANY GAS. Turn it off now and find another propane company. They will help you through this process.....they are all too accustomed to it.

The annoying thing is that the tank was about 60% full before they topped it off, and my understanding is I own that fuel because it conveyed with the home purchase.

Most of the propane companies here now are regional (multi-state) chains but I think I've found a local one that I can call tomorrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tyro posted:

Goddammit.

The annoying thing is that the tank was about 60% full before they topped it off, and my understanding is I own that fuel because it conveyed with the home purchase.

I'm sure you do. But do you want to make this any harder?

Tyro posted:

Most of the propane companies here now are regional (multi-state) chains but I think I've found a local one that I can call tomorrow.

Literally anyone is better than amerigas. Some are nearly as bad, but most are going to be better.

(a day or two of normal propane usage is not really measurable on the scale of propane delivery for what it's worth....but maybe have the tank off when someone shows up to make a point?)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tyro posted:

Goddammit.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it this time of year unless your heating a pool or drying a bin of wheat. Water heaters/stoves/dryers don’t use much at all.

Good luck.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

This might be an aside, but why does residential propane appear to be so consolidated compared to residential fuel oil which- around here at least- are almost entirely local, smallish companies?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Fuel oil tends to be a northeastern thing. Propane is far more popular in the south, midwest and pretty much everywhere else.

The two biggest companies also have those overpriced cylinder exchange cages outside every other store that are a huge money maker that let them buy up a ton of other companies. Fuel oil is just dyed diesel.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
New homeowner here. There was a pretty nasty void under the patio when we bought a few months ago, the inspector recommended a mudjacking place to fix it, reviews seemed legit, things have been hectic on both ends and we finally got them out here a few days ago. They left without a word but said someone would be by in a few days to "finish", which apparently meant caulking the seam along the foundation and nothing else, leaving me with this:

Not exactly thrilled; it manages to have a ton of ugly overflow while also leaving a bunch of cracks into the void. Is this the expected outcome given that the ground slopes steeply away from where the void was or is it just a poor job?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rdb posted:

Fuel oil is just dyed diesel.

Isn't "propane" just LPG?

Legit question.
I assume it is because LPG is obviously cheaper and more produced.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah I'd send a picture of that to their office and ask if that's the kind of work they'd like posted to their online reviews. That looks poor.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

This might be an aside, but why does residential propane appear to be so consolidated compared to residential fuel oil which- around here at least- are almost entirely local, smallish companies?

I think there are two reasons:

One, a fuel oil biz is easier to start up, with less capital costs. All the fuel oil places get their trucks filled at the same spot (usually on the docks), and most don't maintain any type of storage at their location. It's just a receptionist and some trucks. Fill the truck in the morning, distribute to customers that day - done.

Two, and probably the big one, with fuel oil, customers own their tanks. This helps to keep the oil suppliers (somewhat) honest, because you can swap C.O.D. oil companies on your next fill easier than swapping pizza shops. I always check pricing, always C.O.D., and I never do contracts where they have license to rip you off.

With propane, it seems like everyone leases their tanks. People look for any reason not to drop a chunk of cash at once (i.e. they suck at math and future planning), and the sneaky propane companies take full advantage. Lease their tank, and now you're totally locked in to whatever they want to charge you. Want the tank gone, ok, that will be additional gently caress you fees that motivate you to just stay. The big boys (Amerigas, Suburban) know that acquiring smaller propane companies is buying locked-in customers that they can keep on fuckin indefinitely.

Never, ever, lease a propane tank.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

~Coxy posted:

Legit question.

Are you from Australia?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

B-Nasty posted:

One, a fuel oil biz is easier to start up, with less capital costs. All the fuel oil places get their trucks filled at the same spot (usually on the docks), and most don't maintain any type of storage at their location. It's just a receptionist and some trucks. Fill the truck in the morning, distribute to customers that day - done.

Two, and probably the big one, with fuel oil, customers own their tanks. This helps to keep the oil suppliers (somewhat) honest, because you can swap C.O.D. oil companies on your next fill easier than swapping pizza shops. I always check pricing, always C.O.D., and I never do contracts where they have license to rip you off.

With propane, it seems like everyone leases their tanks. People look for any reason not to drop a chunk of cash at once (i.e. they suck at math and future planning), and the sneaky propane companies take full advantage. Lease their tank, and now you're totally locked in to whatever they want to charge you. Want the tank gone, ok, that will be additional gently caress you fees that motivate you to just stay. The big boys (Amerigas, Suburban) know that acquiring smaller propane companies is buying locked-in customers that they can keep on fuckin indefinitely.

Never, ever, lease a propane tank.

I have heard of propane companies calling police if they see you moving a tank around. If you buy one make sure you keep a receipt that clearly proves you own it and the person who sold it owned it and don’t ever transport one with more than a tiny fraction of gas in it. They really go to extreme lengths to make sure your not cutting into anyone else’s business.

I think fuel oil tanks are usually in the basement too, at least ours was growing up, so its logical that a company would not want liability for the damage those cause when they leak or have to be removed/installed.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

rdb posted:

I have heard of propane companies calling police if they see you moving a tank around. If you buy one make sure you keep a receipt that clearly proves you own it and the person who sold it owned it and don’t ever transport one with more than a tiny fraction of gas in it. They really go to extreme lengths to make sure your not cutting into anyone else’s business.

Propane companies just seem scummy all-around. I have a 120g tank I purchased (new) from a mom-n-pop propane place, and they installed a recertified, 30+ year old tank, probably thinking I wouldn't check the manufacture date plate. "Sorry, we must have mixed up on the truck" was their response when I forced them to replace it with a real new one.

Not a single propane place around here actually posts the gallon price on a website. It's like a big game they play to extract as much money from sucker's wallets as they can.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

B-Nasty posted:

Thanks. I grew up (and still live in) the land of heating oil, so I’m unfamiliar with the scummy propane gas world but that all makes sense.

And yeah, before we converted fuel types we owned our own oil tank in the basement and switched vendors as needed. It actually worked pretty well as a system- since there were so many providers nobody really got away with being particularly shady. The lease stuff seems awful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rdb posted:

My parents have owned their tank since they bought the house (in a very suburban community, not off in the woods) 35+ years ago, and they still go through this every so often.

“No, I own the tank, I’ve always owned the tank, I explained this to the person I registered for service with, please remove your leasing charges from my bill.”

“We own the tank, and we’ll be out to replace it tomorrow.”

“Step on my property again and I’ll start shooting.”

That’s paraphrasing one of the better exchanges I’ve overheard over the years, but it happens every time they change service companies. The propane companies also love to let the tank run low while prices are cheap, and then service all the tanks in their service are when prices spike. They’ve actually emptied their 125gal tank several times because the propane companies won’t come on-demand, and insist that your tank is at an acceptable level, even as your pilot lights are going out. What’s that? Propane went down .15¢ a pound? Must be a complete coincidence.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

~Coxy posted:

Legit question.

I realized the information I needed was in your profile.

Yes, same thing.

Some countries it means liquified petroleum gas and is a mixture of propane and butane. But I don’t think Australia is one of them. Its my understanding that its a common motor vehicle fuel in AU and it might be priced lower due to taxes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

MrYenko posted:

My parents have owned their tank since they bought the house (in a very suburban community, not off in the woods) 35+ years ago, and they still go through this every so often.

“No, I own the tank, I’ve always owned the tank, I explained this to the person I registered for service with, please remove your leasing charges from my bill.”

“We own the tank, and we’ll be out to replace it tomorrow.”

“Step on my property again and I’ll start shooting.”

That’s paraphrasing one of the better exchanges I’ve overheard over the years, but it happens every time they change service companies. The propane companies also love to let the tank run low while prices are cheap, and then service all the tanks in their service are when prices spike. They’ve actually emptied their 125gal tank several times because the propane companies won’t come on-demand, and insist that your tank is at an acceptable level, even as your pilot lights are going out. What’s that? Propane went down .15¢ a pound? Must be a complete coincidence.

I had heard rumors it was this bad, but other than Ferrell Gas, my propane experience has been ok.

The furniture store usually came out 2 days after I called and would give me a .15c a gallon discount for paying within 14 days.

The ag coop is a little bit slower but its a cooperative and they have a fixed markup. Other than signing a waver stating I own the tank they haven’t given me a bit of trouble. They fill an ag diesel tank for me too and are usually $1 a gallon cheaper than the pump.

I feel bad for you guys that gotta deal with crap like that. And I feel like Hank Hill because most of my poo poo runs off propane because its a better choice than electric resistance heating. Last time I checked propane would have to be $7 a gallon to make it more expensive than resistance heating at $0.105 kwh, which is my RECs fixed rate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rdb posted:

I had heard rumors it was this bad, but other than Ferrell Gas, my propane experience has been ok.

The furniture store usually came out 2 days after I called and would give me a .15c a gallon discount for paying within 14 days.

The ag coop is a little bit slower but its a cooperative and they have a fixed markup. Other than signing a waver stating I own the tank they haven’t given me a bit of trouble. They fill an ag diesel tank for me too and are usually $1 a gallon cheaper than the pump.

I feel bad for you guys that gotta deal with crap like that. And I feel like Hank Hill because most of my poo poo runs off propane because its a better choice than electric resistance heating. Last time I checked propane would have to be $7 a gallon to make it more expensive than resistance heating at $0.105 kwh, which is my RECs fixed rate.

Some parts of south Florida actually got utility gas service, notably the old parts of Hollywood. Most of the later (post 1955) developments make do with delivery gas service, but honestly even that is on its way out, being replaced with electric appliances.

Having 125gal of propane on hand to take the only hot showers on the block in the days after a hurricane is pretty nice though.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I need a cordless hedge trimmer on a pole. Ideally a 36 inch blade, but I know that's extreme and shorter will work with the pole. Would prefer at least 30". Eventually I might also want a cordless weed whacker, chainsaw, and leaf blower. The only battery powered tools I have are bosch 18v and there doesn't seem to be a good option so I'm looking at buying something from a different system. I notice that there's some pretty high voltage rated stuff- like, 60v and 80v available. What's good? What's worth getting?

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 9, 2021

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
E-go power+ makes a swappable head pole tool that can be a trimmer and saw and weed Wacker. Also have mowers/blowers etc.

It uses a 56v system and batteries can be bought with different capacities, all tools can use all batteries though.

I have a push mower and backpack leaf blower from them and I like them both very much. Plenty of power, and easy to use. I've had the about 5 years now, only issue is one of my 2 batteries died at the 4 year mark. I can't vouch for the head trimmer as I haven't used it myself.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

rdb posted:

That's a bit of a stacked deck, though. The comparison with electric should be a heat pump, which would have a COP somewhere between 2-5, depending on how cold it is outside.

At a average COP of 3.5, and your electric rate, assuming a 95% propane furnace, propane would have to be $0.75/gallon to beat the heat pump.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

B-Nasty posted:

That's a bit of a stacked deck, though. The comparison with electric should be a heat pump, which would have a COP somewhere between 2-5, depending on how cold it is outside.

At a average COP of 3.5, and your electric rate, assuming a 95% propane furnace, propane would have to be $0.75/gallon to beat the heat pump.

I have a propane furnace and a heat pump on top. Propane when it calls for defrost and when its below 35 or so and blowing cold. Both my old home and the one I am building are setup this way. Its the straight electric resistance heat that propane will beat on cost. So for things like heating water, drying clothes, cooking etc. Natural gas is even better. I considered geothermal heat both times but I really like the blast of hot air effect on a cold February night and the low replacement cost of an air source unit.

I also personally burn wood when I have the time and trees cut a year in advance. My last place had a nice lopi insert and the new one has a nice lopi stove with a blower and hot air starter. I cut a lot of dead ash trees at the last place and the new one has 40ac of hardwoods and some logging wastes from a couple years back.

Ohh, and outside air intakes on the furnace and stove.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I've got a GE top load washer, model GTWN4250D1WS if it matters. It works well but has gotten loud as poo poo on spin cycles lately. Some light research seems to suggest it's the bearing to blame and I ought to replace that. I'm not sure how old the washer is, PO included it with the house when we bought it 3 years ago. I've watched some videos and it certainly seems DIYable, but holy poo poo you have to take the machine down to nothing to get to the bearing. My wife wants a new washer and dryer in the next few years anyways, so do I-

Fix this thing, either attempt myself or call my appliance guy?

-or-

Deal with the noise and wait for this thing to crap out and just get a new washer when it does?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Continuing to get roof quotes, all have been around ~13k including full gutter replacement and gutter guards. I had the company I had used for a roof on my previous house come out and they were super thorough, but their price is literally twice that of the others. Almost as much as I was quoted for standing seam.

They were also the only company to note that my porch roof pitch is ‘too low’ (3:12) for shingles, so they wanted to put down something called ‘shingle-ply’ instead which appears to be a rubber mat with a picture of shingles on it. Super weird as I’ve had 3 other quotes now and these are the first to mention it.

I mentioned this to another contractor and they said as long as they use a special underlayment the mfg with warranty it.

I don’t think there’s anything I dislike more than dealing with contractors.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Below 4:12 there are caveats to shingles based on climate, type of shingle, etc. You can mitigate some of the concerns with some underlayments, but I don't see the point. If the slope is under 4:12 then the roofing material should be made for that slope, trying to make shingles work is round peg/square hole poo poo.

I usually go with a TPO on low slope residential, EPDM if the client wants black. I'm not familiar with shingle-ply.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I’m waiting for the typed up proposal but now I’m not sure if he said 3:12 or 4:12. Maybe I’ll dig out my little giant and check it myself.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Final Blog Entry posted:

I've got a GE top load washer, model GTWN4250D1WS if it matters. It works well but has gotten loud as poo poo on spin cycles lately. Some light research seems to suggest it's the bearing to blame and I ought to replace that. I'm not sure how old the washer is, PO included it with the house when we bought it 3 years ago. I've watched some videos and it certainly seems DIYable, but holy poo poo you have to take the machine down to nothing to get to the bearing. My wife wants a new washer and dryer in the next few years anyways, so do I-

-or-

Deal with the noise and wait for this thing to crap out and just get a new washer when it does?

My GE does the same but is quiet on delicate setting. Turns out things get just as clean on delicate, so I'll deal with it when delicate gets loud.

I don't have a lot of interest in 5-8 hours of fiddling to change a $20 part, let alone paying someone else's hourly to do it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Final Blog Entry posted:

-or-

In my experience it's really common to have to tear down the entire machine to do a repair. I wouldn't let that stop you. It's just kinda the nature of washers and dryers. I'd say talk to your wife, say you want to DIY it, and agree that if it fails you'll get a new set.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vim Fuego posted:

In my experience it's really common to have to tear down the entire machine to do a repair. I wouldn't let that stop you. It's just kinda the nature of washers and dryers. I'd say talk to your wife, say you want to DIY it, and agree that if it fails you'll get a new set.

Washers and dryers are pretty simple machines, with the exception of the control board that lives behind the control panel. Everything else is refreshingly analog and easy to work on. I do recommend a decent pair of leather gloves for manhandling the casings apart and back together. Deburring sheet metal costs money that white goods manufacturers have to put into the pockets of their shareholders, apparently.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You should probably verify that you can get the replacement unit you want before you run out of clean clothes before you destroy your functional unit. Just in case the new bearing won't go in once you're past the point of no return. Make sure there isn't some special bearing press or something you need to make it go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My previous washer was spot-welded together, I don't recall the brand but I know it was a cheaper one. Repair was not an option unless I was willing to grind welds and re-bolt it together.