Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Anne Whateley posted:

"Tell me you won't be the one dusting without telling me you won't be the one dusting"

Nobody who has one of those dusts anything except their vinyl collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Anne Whateley posted:

"Tell me you won't be the one dusting without telling me you won't be the one dusting"

Is that not what a leaf blower is for?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Even better if it was 3D, and functional.

That's a skyline diffuser. It helps scatter the echoes in a hard room which helps get rid of that "boxy" sound.
and also, no homeless people will sleep on your wall

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Had some plumbers replace the roof gutters this week and well today I noticed the porch light was looking a bit :flaccid:

I'm more annoyed that they tried to blob it back together with silicone and sneak off rather than tell us they broke it, it's only a $40 lamp

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's the last time I call Lampfucker plumbing LTD.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
a real professional mistake-hider would have used epoxy

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Swing and a miss. So close!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I have never done anything of the sort but I'm sure even I could at least cover this up with putty kneaded to look like it was done properly. Hide the shame.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Swing and a miss. So close!

Pretty far from right. Why the hell is there wood trim on a corner? There are four profiles of trim here. The doorway looks to be arched and has no need for trim.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think it might be the edge of a shower insert?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bad Munki posted:

I think it might be the edge of a shower insert?

Holy poo poo. I can see it now... Absolutely garbage.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that makes it even worse somehow.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0j0d2ymixY

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This one was probably posted already.

https://i.imgur.com/9BIB2wu.mp4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Pretty far from right. Why the hell is there wood trim on a corner? There are four profiles of trim here. The doorway looks to be arched and has no need for trim.

Mainly being sarcastic.

GreenNight posted:

:stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't skip this, that was great. The delivery was fantastic.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

By popular demand posted:

I have never done anything of the sort but I'm sure even I could at least cover this up with putty kneaded to look like it was done properly. Hide the shame.

The angles on ceiling trim are surprisingly counterintuitive. But it's a solved problem. There are extremely clear directions out there. And lol, roflmao, etc

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bad Munki posted:

Don't skip this, that was great. The delivery was fantastic.

Yeah, that's a good video

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

GreenNight posted:

Gotta love these brave souls who, when confronted with a problem, say no I won't do the sensible thing and expend a little more effort than strictly necessary, and instead continue to push the boundary of just how badly a man can maim himself through laziness, ingenuity, and false confidence.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Just Winging It posted:

Gotta love these brave souls who, when confronted with a problem, say no I won't do the sensible thing and expend a little more effort than strictly necessary, and instead continue to push the boundary of just how badly a man can maim himself through laziness, ingenuity, and false confidence.

I would argue that the lazy option here would be to knock off until your friend with a circular saw can come and do this job properly. This is (potentially) maiming yourself through hard work. It took effort to do the wrong thing here.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I dunno, the lengths people go to to save some time or effort, and often spending far more than if they'd done it right the first time, is pretty staggering. Like the plumbing spaghetti you see when they don't have the correct part on hand and don't want to go buy or order it so they just kludge something together from what they have in their van. Basically the attitude this thread is a testament to.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Whoever did this also installed the chair rail in my dining room.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

hello officer yes I would like to report a crime

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/388-Del-Mar-Pt_The-Sea-Ranch_CA_95497_M27665-63119

quote:

Very rare, private and beautiful Don Jacobs designed Helmut Emke built award winning home for the first time ever on the market!

https://liisbergandcompany.com/properties/388-del-mar-point-the-sea-ranch-ca-95497-321007238

quote:

Essentially a NEW build, fully renovated by Shawn Bettega in 2020, this 3 Bedroom/2 Bath Smart home redefines/expands the Sea Ranch aesthetic.

the new kitchen is awful

I was trying to figure out what they did to the master suite and I guess they pulled out a wall and added the interior windows? they also removed the woodstove

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/loafeoil/status/1413694767255408645

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oh hey, I had that happen to my current apartment when I moved in, except it was the air vents and exhaust fan in the (windowless) bathroom instead. You can see the immediate problem.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh hey, I had that happen to my current apartment when I moved in, except it was the air vents and exhaust fan in the (windowless) bathroom instead. You can see the immediate problem.

Which was the first clue of the problem? The visual clue or the olfactory clue?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Orvin posted:

Which was the first clue of the problem? The visual clue or the olfactory clue?

They fortunately had painted over it just before I moved in, so it was still unused in that state. They did, however, ignore mold that developed right next to it even when I stuck a (paint-safe) sticky note on the ceiling next to it with an arrow pointing at it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Youth Decay posted:

hello officer yes I would like to report a crime

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/388-Del-Mar-Pt_The-Sea-Ranch_CA_95497_M27665-63119

https://liisbergandcompany.com/properties/388-del-mar-point-the-sea-ranch-ca-95497-321007238

the new kitchen is awful

I was trying to figure out what they did to the master suite and I guess they pulled out a wall and added the interior windows? they also removed the woodstove

This is where you (correctly) accuse me of being tasteless but I hate all of the wood paneling in the first set and kind of like the second set of pics.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8one6 posted:

This is where you (correctly) accuse me of being tasteless but I hate all of the wood paneling in the first set and kind of like the second set of pics.

Nah, I mean....that's totally fine. What is NOT fine is destroying a piece of architectural history to turn it into that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

8one6 posted:

Agreed. Wood paneling makes sense in a cabin or forest home, not in ocean front property.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wood can be stripped and refinished, so if it's just paneled over or painted and filled, it should be fine.

I think it opened up the rooms a lot but I would have gone for a regular whitewash.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Motronic posted:

Nah, I mean....that's totally fine. What is NOT fine is destroying a piece of architectural history to turn it into that.
I think it's okay to change up a house you are living in.

I also think keeping the ceilings as-is was a pretty good compromise for balancing history with modernization.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Yeah, the original version had way too much wood. Remodel was a huge improvement.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The before is like the house version of neon leggings, a baggy sweatshirt, and two different scrunchies on your ponytail. I'm sure it was well built and a wonderful design, but it also reeked of 1983. They've modernized it to today's greige which will also look dated as hell in 40 years, and the cycle will continue until it burns down in a wildfire or the land falls into the ocean.

The only crime I see are the carpets and the lack of cabinets and hood for the kitchen. If they didn't salvage or at least keep all that wood, that would also be a crime.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK gently caress this:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The tv is a crime.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why do all of the views out of the windows in the "before" pics look either shopped in or like they're just posters behind glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why do all of the views out of the windows in the "before" pics look either shopped in or like they're just posters behind glass

Probably because the windows are janky as gently caress

I think we've solved the mystery of why every visible surface was covered in wood. Really draws the eye.