Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite Star Trek movie is Predator 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On paper, a Star Trek movie where they kill god sounds like a great idea.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Some good news for Region A folks who would like 88 Films' stuff but don't have a multi-region player:

https://twitter.com/88_Films/status/1413902431654658050?s=19

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Very cool. But I'll be frank, I just don't understand a physical media collector in 2021 not having a region free player.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

Very cool. But I'll be frank, I just don't understand a physical media collector in 2021 not having a region free player.
It auto-regulates my buying habits and fosters patience

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I probably would've gone to a region free player by now if not for the fact that most of what I buy at this point is UHD. If region locked UHDs become more of a thing then I'll definitely upgrade my player.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ll probably grab one eventually. The $20-$30 I spend on movies here and there is one thing, but dumping roughly $150 in one go on the hobby gives me a little pause.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I still use my PS3.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been using my PS5 as my disc player. Maybe I should upgrade to a dedicated one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I do own a couple region B things and no region free player, but that's because it's insanely easy to rip a remux of the disc and put it up on Plex. I don't understand why anyone but the most hardcore of hardcores would bother owning a region free player, or stand alone player at all unless they don't play video games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ll probably grab one eventually. The $20-$30 I spend on movies here and there is one thing, but dumping roughly $150 in one go on the hobby gives me a little pause.

It's funny that I absolutely will dump $100+ into this hobby from sales or some box set I want, but not on a region free player.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

On paper, a Star Trek movie where they kill god sounds like a great idea.

Sorry to keep the Trek derail going but I forgot I made this a while back. Please clap

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1295452596317151241?s=19

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I do own a couple region B things and no region free player, but that's because it's insanely easy to rip a remux of the disc and put it up on Plex. I don't understand why anyone but the most hardcore of hardcores would bother owning a region free player, or stand alone player at all unless they don't play video games.

I have a region free 4k player and a PS5. I don’t have to take my games out to watch a movie, my 4k player plays region free blu-rays and 4ks in better image quality, and it gives the PS5, which runs hot, a break for a few hours. I like switching in between.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If anyone wants a 30 day HBO Max trial. This code came with a game I got recently. Might be out of date bc the sheet of paper it comes in says use by December 31, 2020. I find digital codes usually last a little longer than the expiration date but who knows with this.

CYBERPUNK01AV2P9F25ZV use at hbomax.com/redeem

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't play video games.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Star Trek movies ranked:

Whale Movie
Galaxy Quest
The scenes with James Cromwell in the ten-fifteen minutes I saw of which ever one that was.

The rest.

Seriously though, it goes

1. Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut)
2. Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut) - put it on blu-ray already, you cowards.
3. Galaxy Quest
4. Voyage Home
5. Beyond
6. Star Trek '09
7. First Contact
8. Search for Spock
9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut)
10. Into Darkness

And here we get into the genuinely lovely movie-zone
11. Final Frontier
12. Insurrection
13. Generations
14. Nemesis

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're forgetting Turkish Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hT02PbAauM

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

Seriously though, it goes

1. Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut)
2. Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut) - put it on blu-ray already, you cowards.
3. Galaxy Quest
4. Voyage Home
5. Beyond
6. Star Trek '09
7. First Contact
8. Search for Spock
9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut)
10. Into Darkness

And here we get into the genuinely lovely movie-zone
11. Final Frontier
12. Insurrection
13. Generations
14. Nemesis

No way, Generations deserves much higher ranking based on the score and cinematography alone. The only genuinely bad and unredeemable Treks are Nemesis and Into Darkness, although the latter does have a strong opening and Peter Weller.

Insurrection, Search for Spock, and Voyage Home all just kind of exist and are probably bad movies, but relative to the rest of the series they’re all just middle of the pack.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Insurrection just feels like a mediocre episode of TNG. Some of the space effects look really nice though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No way, Generations deserves much higher ranking based on the score and cinematography alone. The only genuinely bad and unredeemable Treks are Nemesis and Into Darkness, although the latter does have a strong opening and Peter Weller.

Insurrection, Search for Spock, and Voyage Home all just kind of exist and are probably bad movies, but relative to the rest of the series they’re all just middle of the pack.

Generations might look and sound gorgeous, but it is, at best, a polished turd. A whole bunch of ideas and plotlines that don't really go anywhere (like "Oi, Jean-Luc, your brother and his family died in a fire, mate." "Oh no! Anyway,") that tries all sorts of things and does gently caress-all.

At least with Into Darkness, the villains have motivations that are coherent (Admiral Marcus is a warmonger that is convinced the Federation must attack and destroy the Klingon Empire to ensure its survival, Khan wants to find a safe haven for his followers and is lashing out when they were taken hostage) and it doesn't feel like a bunch of ideas and plots that were left abandoned.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The big thing against Into Darkness is shoehorning in the Khan business, which is bad, but it does at least deal with some of the contradictions and paradoxes of Starfleet as a pseudo-military organization.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let’s have Kirk die in our WOK rip-off, except not really.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
HEY! Speaking of Whale Movie, Fathom Events is doing an anniversary screening of Star Trek: The Whale Movie in August.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't think that buying a piece of electronics that costs less than 200 bucks (which is much less than the cost of a game console) is a very big deal for people that are throwing down a few hundred bucks a month on blu-rays. Plus that sounds like a pain in the rear end process to just watch the movie and not everyone knows how to do that poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

HEY! Speaking of Whale Movie, Fathom Events is doing an anniversary screening of Star Trek: The Whale Movie in August.

I don't think that buying a piece of electronics that costs less than 200 bucks (which is much less than the cost of a game console) is a very big deal for people that are throwing down a few hundred bucks a month on blu-rays. Plus that sounds like a pain in the rear end process to just watch the movie and not everyone knows how to do that poo poo.

It's putting in a disc and hitting 3 buttons in a free app, and setting an output folder. Not even as complex as setting up a 5.1 system.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's putting in a disc and hitting 3 buttons in a free app, and setting an output folder. Not even as complex as setting up a 5.1 system.

Yeah but if you have to rip the file doesn't that take a while? I just don't think it's very crazy to buy a blu-ray player when you're already buying piles of movies even if you've already got a game console. You're also greatly overestimating my patience for anything that involves even the most minor amount of computer touching but I can't speak for anyone else on that matter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The dedicated player simply has better video playback than the PS5 does.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I ended up buying a dedicated player after I upgraded from an Xbox One X to an Xbox Series X and put a 4k disc into it for the first time.

That thing is preposterously noisy, just a non-stop hiss coming from the disc drive any time a 4k movie is playing, loud enough that I can hear it over dialog scenes. It was such a bummer.

And now I kinda like having the two things segregated, it's very convenient being able to leave eg a TV show disc in the bluray player and be able to swap back into watching it without having to mess around swapping out game discs etc. It also makes my older discs look way nicer, the upscaling on the standalone player is really good

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Does it make DVDs watchable? I have an LG CX and a Series X and I swear DVDs look like 2000-era YouTube. Not a whore for picture quality, but it’s REALLY bad.

edit: I should say I’m not a whiz at settings on the CX so I may doing something wrong. But I followed that basic guide everyone links to.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 11, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Yeah but if you have to rip the file doesn't that take a while? I just don't think it's very crazy to buy a blu-ray player when you're already buying piles of movies even if you've already got a game console. You're also greatly overestimating my patience for anything that involves even the most minor amount of computer touching but I can't speak for anyone else on that matter.

It takes like 30 minutes to rip an uncompressed blu-ray. It's a thing so easy the instructions could be a gif. I get not wanting to do it though, I was just answering the question of why someone who collects this stuff wouldn't have a standard player. For me that's a waste of $200.

Lord Bob posted:

I ended up buying a dedicated player after I upgraded from an Xbox One X to an Xbox Series X and put a 4k disc into it for the first time.

That thing is preposterously noisy, just a non-stop hiss coming from the disc drive any time a 4k movie is playing, loud enough that I can hear it over dialog scenes. It was such a bummer.

There is something wrong with your series x disc drive and you should get it replaced because it should be noiseless.

Source: my totally silent series x.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Don’t both of the new consoles lack Dolby Vision support for uhd? To me it seems silly to buy movies at a premium on a new format just to watch with a player that doesn’t support all its features.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What region free players do y’all recommend? I see a few people online recommend this LG and this Sony a lot. I had a friend asking for recs, but I don’t know players all that well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don’t have a computer that can read blu rays let alone rip them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don’t have a computer that can read blu rays let alone rip them.

I still have a combo HDDVD/Blu-ray reader in mine. Boy is there no software whatsoever that'll play the former anymore.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Liar Lyre posted:

What region free players do y’all recommend? I see a few people online recommend this LG and this Sony a lot. I had a friend asking for recs, but I don’t know players all that well.

Keep in mind both of those are 4K UHD players (the region free capabilities apply to Blu-ray and DVD only, since UHD is region-free). If you already own a UHD player there's no need to get a region free player that plays UHD.

The one I own is comparable to this one, though I only paid $109 for it since I bought a refurbished version. It's been working flawlessly for me since 2016.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

FancyMike posted:

Don’t both of the new consoles lack Dolby Vision support for uhd? To me it seems silly to buy movies at a premium on a new format just to watch with a player that doesn’t support all its features.

This is why I went with a player and decided on a digital only ps5 (whenever I can get my hands on one).

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

FancyMike posted:

it is my understanding that it can be patched in

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It's already on the first Xbox Insider testing stage for the Series X and S. Still not fully out, but it's coming.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

This is why I went with a player and decided on a digital only ps5 (whenever I can get my hands on one).

Eh, I bought a disc PS5 and I've been really happy with it. Games are so expensive, that if I don't like it, it's great having physical copy I can trade it in for a full refund. That, and I have a bunch of PS5 games now cuz I bought physical copies of PS4 games for cheap and they get free PS5 upgrades. $20 instead of $60 digital is a no-brainer. And also the installations are way faster and don't rely on Wi-Fi.

Also I have a friend that also has a physical disc PS5, so I can borrow his Sackboy and Demon Souls and he can borrow my extensive PS4 collection, since the PS5 is his first Sony console.

I won't go disc-less on a console until it's mandatory. And even then, I probably won't buy a console without a disc drive.

FancyMike posted:

Yes, for now.

Also, a blu-ray/4k UHD player remote control is still easier than a PS5's controller. I'm not positive, but I think they've re-mapped the controls from how it was on the PS4, so when I've watched movies on the PS5, I've fumbled around trying to get subtitles or something to work right.

That, and as someone else mentioned, my blu/4k player has upscaling on DVDs and stuff, which makes them look great. I don't know what the PS5 or Xbox does with upscaling on movies.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 12, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does the PS5 have an IR sensor or is Bluetooth still required for controlling it? Although with Logitech killing the Harmony remotes, this is less of an issue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

Does the PS5 have an IR sensor or is Bluetooth still required for controlling it? Although with Logitech killing the Harmony remotes, this is less of an issue :(

Apparently there is no IR sensor, but Sony at least this time released an official remote. https://direct.playstation.com/en-u...onblock-buy-now

I bought a couple of off brand bluetooth remotes for my PS4, but they always crapped out on me after a year of use or so.