Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Klungar posted:

House had an episode about this that really drove home how terrible your life would be with this condition.

It's also like, why people with leprosy lose all their fingers and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

GRRM when A Dance With Dragons is released: "hrm, I wonder what part of these books people will be discussing ten years hence, when surely this is all over."

Ten years hence:

mind the walrus posted:

ASoIaF: how viable a castrati army

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

It's also like, why people with leprosy lose all their fingers and poo poo.

Diabetics too-- first they lose feeling in their extremities, don't notice a cut that doesn't heal, it gets infected, bam you're out a toe.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I know a couple of ASOIAF superfans who help maintain GOT websites, do podcasts, run twitter accounts all devoted to this series and it seems like today was the day that a lot of them finally gave up the ghost. Marking the 10 year anniversary of the last book being published seemed to finally bring home the reality that GRRM has no pages, will probably never finish another book (let alone 2), so on and so forth. Almost all of them have pretty much written off the prequel series as well, which bodes ill for the continued success of the IP in any form.

Really kind of sad, all things considered. Imagine how crazy people would've gone if GRRM had announced a release date for the last book today.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sephyr posted:

Yeah.

It's literally "Ooops I zipped my pants wrong and caught my nutsac in the fly, normally I'd be howling and getting it free but I felt nothing so I'll go have my workday and only notice it 8 hours from now when it's a major crisis."

Unfortunately you've picked possibly the only example that isn't something the Unsullied will actually have to worry about.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Root. And. Stem

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Unfortunately you've picked possibly the only example that isn't something the Unsullied will actually have to worry about.

Oh, right.

No zippers back then!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Phenotype posted:

:sbahj:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Sephyr posted:

Oh, right.

No zippers back then!

:omarcomin:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There was a Bond villain who couldn’t feel pain. Or anything. It was dumb.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love how it's been 10 years since ADWD but no one's mentiones it's been like whatever years since the first half of the book.

Dude hasn't been in it since Crown of Swords, and he's really just laughing in everyone's faces now for like 2 decades.

E: storm of swords? Whatever, it doesn't matter

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 13, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

it really doesn’t.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean everything about James Bond has always been dumb, so the question is always "is it endearingly dumb?"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Barreft posted:

I love how it's been 10 years since ADWD but no one's mentiones it's been like whatever years since the first half of the book.

Dude hasn't been in it since Crown of Swords, and he's really just laughing in everyone's faces now for like 2 decades.

E: storm of swords? Whatever, it doesn't matter

Correct about half the main characters haven’t had their plot advance since 2006.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A magnificent waste of Robert Carlyle. Surprised Game of Thrones di dnt cast and waste him

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Will any of the actors who made it big in GoT go onto do anything ever again? Most have already had movies that failed miserably.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It certainly gave a second wind to Liam Cunnighsm's career.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Will any of the actors who made it big in GoT go onto do anything ever again? Most have already had movies that failed miserably.

I think it worked out well for Jason Momoa. Some of the kids quit acting altogether iirc, and the rest seem to be living their best b-list life.

Which is a good thing, the acting really wasn't the problem in the end.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kit Harrington and Richard Madden are about to appear as major characters in the next Marvel movie (Eternals)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

Jorah says that, basically, if the Dothraki invaded and the Westerosi just holed up in the castles they wouldn't know what to do, but that Robert was too stupid to not fight them. Also a plan like that is fine in theory, but if Highgarden decides to hail the Dothraki as the new kings of the 7 kingdoms, and you are hiding in King's Landing, not a lot you can do about it.

The show had Robert explaining that if the Dothraki invaded the city would probably be safe behind the walls, but the Dothraki would then loot and burn every farm and village around. And a king that hides behind his walls while that happens is going to be a really unpopular king.

Sephyr posted:

Ehh. The Watch is severely dumb. The North is well established to be loving massive (as much land as all the other realms conbimed!), and thinly peopled. This organization is regularly putting weapons, armor and horses worth years of the average peasant or even craftsman's income in the hand of criminals and malcontents. All they have to do is wait for a task a day or two away, bolt, steal some different clothes from a farmstead and either board a ship or stay off the Kingsroad.

To be fair, that's actually addressed in the books and show. Jon Snow for example is shown as being as safe on the wall as a new guy in prison. They talk about how no noble families except the Starks are sending people to wall and how degenerate the watch has become.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Eunuchs are found in courts not battlefields and there's a reason for it. Like it's not getting biotruths to say that you probably don't want your soldiers, especially in a time period where all weapons are based on the physical strength of their wielder, to have less developed muscles and less aggression than literally anyone else they are fighting.
Here's the thing though, we know very little about how the testosterone that the body naturally produces correlates with physical strength. Studies are all over the place and some even indicates that a high level of natural testosterone might even make you less strong.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 13, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Kit Harrington and Richard Madden are about to appear as major characters in the next Marvel movie (Eternals)
The poor girls playing Arya and Sansa hitched their wagons to the FOX X-Men. Got to feel bad for them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Luckily for them those movies left no cultural impact.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I mean everything about James Bond has always been dumb, so the question is always "is it endearingly dumb?"

Great point.

Dude with sharp hat? Endearingly dumb.

Huge guy with steel teeth for some reason? Endearingly dumb.

Guy with diamonds stuck in his face that you can pretty much remove with tweezers? Just dumb.

...slaver army of tall guys on stilts? Depressingly dumb.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

End of Winds of Winter leaked !

spoiler
MEANWHILE, BACK ON SLAVER’S BAY. . .

Hey, wait a minute!" some of you may be saying about now. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's Dany and the dragons? Where's Tyrion? We hardly saw Jaime. That can't be all of it. . . ."

Well, no. There's more to come. Another book as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other characters. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the book had become too big to publish in a single volume . . . and I wasn't close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with "To Be Continued ." The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that's the route I chose to take.

Tyrion, Jaime, Dany, Barristan and Jorah, Victarion, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A List of Lands, which will focus on events in Essos, just as the present book focused on Westeros.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes, and some of them already have. Granted, a lot of it was kinda bad (Seventh Son, the newer X-Men movies...etc).

If they didn't just burn the millions they got from HBO they won't have to do anything ever again if they don't want to.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
The guy who played Joffrey left the industry and became a college professor or something, didn't he?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kylaer posted:

The guy who played Joffrey left the industry and became a college professor or something, didn't he?

No, he was considering going into teaching but decided against it. He ended up just switching exclusively to theatre until last year, when he made a couple TV appearances again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

End of Winds of Winter leaked !

spoiler
MEANWHILE, BACK ON SLAVER’S BAY. . .

Hey, wait a minute!" some of you may be saying about now. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's Dany and the dragons? Where's Tyrion? We hardly saw Jaime. That can't be all of it. . . ."

Well, no. There's more to come. Another book as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other characters. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the book had become too big to publish in a single volume . . . and I wasn't close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with "To Be Continued ." The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that's the route I chose to take.

Tyrion, Jaime, Dany, Barristan and Jorah, Victarion, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A List of Lands, which will focus on events in Essos, just as the present book focused on Westeros.

The fact that it took him another 5 years to put out another book proves that he didn’t actually write so much that he cut this giant book in half. What a hilarious lie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I doubt any will match someone like Clooney in terms of jumping from hit TV show to mainstream movie stardom but most of them seem to be doing fine. Pablo Pascal comes to mind as someone whose career has taken off but I guess he was already kind of on the ascent even before playing Oberyn.

The rest of the main cast seem to be taking some time off or at least gradually easing back into other roles, but they've got piles of money to tide them over while they do so.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A magnificent waste of Robert Carlyle. Surprised Game of Thrones di dnt cast and waste him

Carlyle spent nearly the entirety of GoT’s run being the only redeeming element of Once Upon A Time on ABC, so he was kind of busy at the time. He’d have made a loving amazing Littlefinger though, and would have also ultimately been wasted in the role like Aiden Gillen was too :v:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
I always assumed there was some sort of blood magic type thing going on behind the scenes w the castration of the unsullied.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

typically physical strength is a solid second to discipline and courage in formation fighting anyway. the spartans weren't feared because they were all ripped, they were feared because their big blocks of spear-toting guys were more mobile than the norm - the unsullied have nowhere worthwhile to go, and are unified by shared trauma and very hard training. it's a workable fantasy conceit imo, even if you'd expect them to at least go through puberty before getting cut (do not tell me if this is specified in the text idgaf).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

typically physical strength is a solid second to discipline and courage in formation fighting anyway. the spartans weren't feared because they were all ripped, they were feared because their big blocks of spear-toting guys were more mobile than the norm - the unsullied have nowhere worthwhile to go, and are unified by shared trauma and very hard training. it's a workable fantasy conceit imo, even if you'd expect them to at least go through puberty before getting cut (do not tell me if this is specified in the text idgaf).

Side note, although the Spartans were feared due to formation training and discipline (and perhaps even more because of their propaganda) rather than physical prowess, like all the other upper-class Greeks in phalanxes opposing them, they probably were pretty ripped. Classical Greek culture had a bit of an obsession with exercise and the male form.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Side note, although the Spartans were feared due to formation training and discipline (and perhaps even more because of their propaganda) rather than physical prowess, like all the other upper-class Greeks in phalanxes opposing them, they probably were pretty ripped. Classical Greek culture had a bit of an obsession with exercise and the male form.

Nah I've seen that documentary, those guys were jacked. 300 cum gutters.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Sparta was also much more of a paper tiger than popular history and culture would have you believe.
But yeah. It's more the fact they are cut while prepubescent, unless I'm wildly misremembering, that sticks in my craw.

Also to be fair while most of the show actors have had careers that went nowhere since being on/in the show, it's also worth noting that most of the show actors who were really popular; Danny, Sansa, and bafflingly Arya who went from amazing in the early seasons to terrible in the later - were generally at best the weaker actors on the show, and at worst outright terrible.

Nothing against her as a person, but Emilia Clarke is not a good actress. Add unto that fact she was miscast as Sarah Conner, and that even if they had brought back Linda Hamilton through a time machine that movie was still a mess anyway, and yeah. It's just the perfect storm of bad decisions around most of the cast's attempts to do bigger and better things since the show ended/winded down.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I blame the script for Arya

She does seems like a good actress, but her character became so dumb she could not save it later on

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The dude who played Jon Snow was pretty good as Idiot Tennis Player in that 7 Days in Hell movie.

Much like Mark Wahlberg, he is a natural at portraying clueless idiots

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I mean I certainly don't know, but I wouldn't expect them to be ripped in the 300 sort of way. No doubt those dudes had a lot of muscle, but I doubt their body fat levels would have been that low (at least at the outset of a campaign season anyway).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The dude who played Jon Snow was pretty good as Idiot Tennis Player in that 7 Days in Hell movie.

Much like Mark Wahlberg, he is a natural at portraying clueless idiots

They should really put those 2 together with Keanu Reeves for "Dude where isn't my car?" An existential journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Gonna rep Christian Cameron again here for his excellent (and, given how :spergin: he is as an author, probably as true to life as it's possible to be given how little factual knowledge we actually have about the era) portrayal of the Spartans in his Long War series. They were weird even by the standards of the times, and even more weird from a modern perspective.