Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Having an entire film essentially dedicated to hathaway's inner life was an interesting decision and one I ended up appreciating quite a bit. It's cool seeing how closely they examine the conflicts in hathaway's character and the divide between his inner life and how he outwardly presents himself. I'm not sure it was enough to justify an entire movie with just that as its core but ultimately I liked it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

grassy gnoll posted:

For what it's worth, the best character makes it out alive.

But Biscuit already bit it in S1. :confused:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Depends on if Space Hitler starts bringing up his tragic back story, totally unprompted.

Lok died though?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Wow no mention of the Ship Captains in Gundam 00 ? That show had competent Captains in Sergei and Sumeragi

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know she was on the wrong side for most of the show, but how can you leave Kati out of that list?

e: Now I want an SRW scenario where Patrick is the one who ends up falling into a Gundam. Like he somehow pratfalls knife-first into Exia when it crashes the demonstration.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 12, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

My favourite is when he literally does a 'time for a big sip of coffee before reading this message' move.

The spit-take loving owned. He made drat sure to hose the whole room.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

But Biscuit already bit it in S1. :confused:

Fun fact that I couldn't find anywhere else to say: Biscuit has the same Japanese VA as Odokawa in Odd Taxi. So, basically there is a compelling argument for him.

(Iin a detail that's probably only interesting to me, he's also the Japanese voice of 9S and Alm in Fire Emblem. Meanwhile, the dub voice of Alm and 9S play Mika.)

Going back to captains, yeah. Otto's alright. He's capable in a pinch, knows when to rely on others, and generally rises to the occasion. (He's also nine years older than Bright, which makes things even funnier.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gaius Marius posted:

Lok died though?

Not even as a joke.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Not even as a joke.

Iok is one of those jokes that takes forever to set up, but the punchline makes it all worth it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't even remember Otto making any bad calls of any significance. He's visibly struggling to stay on top of the situation, but he never actually seems to slip off through his own fault.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Visibly struggling to stay on top of the situation is not a thing I'd want said about my captain. Especially one in charge of an elite unit on an extremely difficult and vital mission.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Visibly struggling to stay on top of the situation is not a thing I'd want said about my captain. Especially one in charge of an elite unit on an extremely difficult and vital mission.

I mean, that's Bright's whole career right there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Random IBO thoughts:

Most amusing prediction in hindsight: Mikazuki was definitely going to get some "action" in the Barbatos, which I said right around just after Hashmal

Most obvious death that I saw coming but still got sad over: Lafter, Shino comes second (I had hope that Shino's plan would work but I saw that there were still 5 episodes left and :sigh: )

Personal ranking of OPs:
1. Survivor
2. Raise Your Flag
3. Rage of Dust
4. Fighter

I don't have particularly strong opinions about the EDs, sorry.

Eat poo poo Iok award: Iok Kujan for dying about 5 seconds before the war officially ended

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 13, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

who's your favorite gundam captain that doesn't visibly struggle to stay on top of situations

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

all of the ibo EDs are really good except the third one

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

who's your favorite gundam captain that doesn't visibly struggle to stay on top of situations

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gaius Marius posted:

how does anyone stay on top in Gundam Unicorn

it's dumb from toe to tip

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Monaghan posted:

Just goes to show that the supporting cast in Unicorn was great, Banagher was just the albatross holding the series down.
big agree. banana was incredibly forgettable as a stereotypical “teen boy with Space Powers falls into robot.” the fascist psycho who wrote unicorn should have made mineva the main character, or at least even more prominent. she ripped rear end in every scene she was in.

Gaius Marius posted:

lol coming from the guy who totally forgot what bright did in the entire series run

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Hathaway was quite a good looking film. It is too bad that is doesn't actually have much of a plot that drives what's happening in any way that feels noticeable. The fact that it's part 1 of a trilogy is painfully clear. That this first film was explicitly about establishing characters and the politics that are going to play out in the next 2 is evident the moment the credits roll. The city fight was absolutely amazing to watch (I agree with everyone excited about how much collateral impact we got to see from it drives home the dynamic the Mafty pilots bring up), and then the Penelope vs the Xi might as well be an blank screen with lights on it that occasionally move, just too dark to see the models or have much appreciation for what's happening.

This is the issue I know lots of folks have with the OG film trilogy, but I'll have to grant it's a fair criticism of this one. It's not built like a standalone film. It just kinda ends without having really done much, we get this slow burn around Hathaway...except the narrative has outed him super early. I felt 0 tension, but also had really no idea where in the film I was at any given time. The climax is I guess because we needed some Gundams? I agree with whoever said this film could have existed without MS in it really at all. If they do really good things with 2/3 in this trilogy, this first one will get a lot more credit from me. Hathaway deciding to do the thing is the plot I suppose, but if that's the case it feels almost hidden until his closing voice over.

I do think it has the best expression of Newtypes in the UC timeline they've done in an anime. Gigi and Hathaway's connection and shared emotion during the run from the hotel was the best sequence of the film. It does lead back to the "are there any good Gundam films?" and I guess with this you have to say yes. This was a good film even if it feels kinda narratively light, I liked what it was doing that makes seeing what will come next exciting/intriguing.
“wow, cool robot!”

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Depends on if Space Hitler starts bringing up his tragic back story, totally unprompted.

Who was your personal best? I'm glad that Ride's Wild Ride hasn't stopped.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ninjewtsu posted:

Talia did pretty well in keeping her composure when it was just her ship getting double-teamed by the brunt of Orb and the Earth Alliance during that Earth arc.

And then the Archangel joined and they essentially got triple-teamed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first ED for IBO with the bluesy number was good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

I just binged the rest of IBO.

Goddamn, way too much of my list was true.

At least Akihiro got to make Iok eat poo poo in the end.

Good things come to you if you live long enough.

chiasaur11 posted:

Iok is one of those jokes that takes forever to set up, but the punchline makes it all worth it.

The Aristocrats, except it ends with giant pliers.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 13, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Good things come to you if you live long enough.

The Aristocrats, except it ends with giant pliers.

Well that aristocrat ended with giant pliers anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, that's Bright's whole career right there.

Ehh he had a pretty good handling of most situations by the end of MSG. Thought Experiment, put Bright or even Gomez or Murrue in Otto's place and the whole Argama faction probably comes out looking a lot better. I expect better from Otto given he's a career officer and not a kid thrust into a position he really wasn't prepared for.

MechaX posted:

Talia did pretty well in keeping her composure when it was just her ship getting double-teamed by the brunt of Orb and the Earth Alliance during that Earth arc.

And then the Archangel joined and they essentially got triple-teamed.

I'm never gonna rewatch Destiny to find out if I was right, but they really did her dirty at the end didn't they. Totally pointless death

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Ehh he had a pretty good handling of most situations by the end of MSG. Thought Experiment, put Bright or even Gomez or Murrue in Otto's place and the whole Argama faction probably comes out looking a lot better. I expect better from Otto given he's a career officer and not a kid thrust into a position he really wasn't prepared for.

He's a career desk jockey. Like Gopp, he spent most of his career far from the front lines, with Unicorn tossing him in the thick of everything for the first time in his life.

The whole point of him as a character is that he's completely out of his depth and he's learning to swim as he goes. Putting in an experienced officer like Bright would lose every dynamic he brings to the table.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is that stated in the show? I either missed it in the Movies or it's novel info. Not disagreeing though you can easily infer that from his actions. It just ends up feeling goofy when most Gundam has inexperienced captains as a matter of necessity, Unicorn the Feds have every opportunity to send their best and brightest on their secret mission, and instead send some noob.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's certainly not experienced in being a gundam protagonist ship captain. that definitely requires a whole new skill set.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I figure that due to the sensitive nature of the box there was a potential risk that would've meant the entire crew getting axed. This idea doesn't really work with Riddhe but he also slid from being totally ignorant to being totally driven to keeping the secret pretty easily.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Is that stated in the show? I either missed it in the Movies or it's novel info. Not disagreeing though you can easily infer that from his actions. It just ends up feeling goofy when most Gundam has inexperienced captains as a matter of necessity, Unicorn the Feds have every opportunity to send their best and brightest on their secret mission, and instead send some noob.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's certainly not experienced in being a gundam protagonist ship captain. that definitely requires a whole new skill set.

It's this. I don't think Otto had any real opportunities to develop beyond your average Londo Bell captain. Things go wildly off-script when Cardias gives Banagher the Unicorn, and if I had to make assumptions about Federation captains I would not suggest that 'off script' is something they handle well.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Who was your personal best? I'm glad that Ride's Wild Ride hasn't stopped.

Atra. It's probably not a coincidence that in this series about manly men doing doomed manly men things, the secret toughest character who actually obtains some degree of self-actualization is a little girl.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first ED for IBO with the bluesy number was good.

Orphans no Namida is maybe the one song in the franchise that can compete with Here Comes Char.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Orphans no Namida still blows me away

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

grassy gnoll posted:

Atra. It's probably not a coincidence that in this series about manly men doing doomed manly men things, the secret toughest character who actually obtains some degree of self-actualization is a little girl.

She has the main character's baby and that fulfils her life's purpose. Uplifting stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sassassin posted:

She has the main character's baby and that fulfils her life's purpose. Uplifting stuff.

I thought it was nice when the orphan built a family for herself and found happiness in it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

Survives the violent suppression of her found family, moves on, grows up and helps to break the cycle of violence, has a little farm where she cares for her kid and other orphans. Gets married to a nice older woman, depending on who you believe.

Yeah, pretty shallow character. Let's go back to talking about Banagher, who

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I thoght Kudelia and Atra were the same age?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I thoght Kudelia and Atra were the same age?

Atra is 16, Kudelia doesn't have an age listed, at least not on the gundam wiki. Though apparently a press event revealed that they did marry.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

sassassin posted:

It was her purpose, because it certainly wasn't his. There could be something to unpack in the idea of IBO criticizing toxic masculinity by opposing it to the domestic ideal, but this ain't it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

grassy gnoll posted:

Survives the violent suppression of her found family, moves on, grows up and helps to break the cycle of violence, has a little farm where she cares for her kid and other orphans. Gets married to a nice older woman, depending on who you believe.

Yeah, pretty shallow character. Let's go back to talking about Banagher, who

It's a bit weird to single her out as "the secret toughest character who actually obtains some degree of self-actualization" when plenty of "manly men" characters also manage to move on, break the cycle etc. in the show. Most of the surviving cast in fact. Ride is an exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sassassin posted:

It's a bit weird to single her out as "the secret toughest character who actually obtains some degree of self-actualization" when plenty of "manly men" characters also manage to move on, break the cycle etc. in the show. Most of the surviving cast in fact. Ride is an exception.

"most of the surviving cast" is doing a lot of work there considering how much of the cast doesn't survive.