Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

We are on city sewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Are you sure your house is not and has never been infested by rodents/rats? Rat poo poo in the walls can cause that if it's not sewer gas from the drains

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NomNomNom posted:

Is this an acceptable amount of damp to contemplate finishing a murder room? There's a sump pump and pit located in this room, only operates during heavy rain. To my knowledge there is no French drain.

It's hard to tell, but the concrete in this corner is stained but not actually wet. There has never been standing water. Paper or cardboard placed in the corner will wick moisture up and get soggy after a few days, but a paper towel pressed in won't pick up anything. The damp patch doesn't seem to grow after heavy rain (rain fall has been pretty average recently).

I'm considering laying some Dricore OSB panels on the concrete and insulating/framkng out the walls on top of that.

Is that just painted concrete block? Is there anything plumbing related near that wall? Any idea what the humidity level in the room is?

If you can't find a source, maybe a dehumidifer down there would help.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just painted concrete, exterior wall, no plumbing. Right outside is a stairwell which has a drain at the landing, that drains into the sump pit. There's a dehumidifier in the room, maintains the space at 50%

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Our laundry room has a lingering smell.
It's sweet, kind of pungent and fruity, not unpleasant. Reminds me of passion fruit. Definitely smells organic and not like some artificial scent that spilled behind a cupboard or something.

Any idea what this could be? There's no sewage or mould smells otherwise.

The room also houses the furnace, water heater, an old water softener system from the days when it was on a well, a water distillation system, a basin sink, and a floor drain. The house is on a septic but there are no septic smells outside and you don't get the fruity smell anywhere else in the house.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

just another posted:

Our laundry room has a lingering smell.
It's sweet, kind of pungent and fruity, not unpleasant. Reminds me of passion fruit. Definitely smells organic and not like some artificial scent that spilled behind a cupboard or something.

Any idea what this could be? There's no sewage or mould smells otherwise.

The room also houses the furnace, water heater, an old water softener system from the days when it was on a well, a water distillation system, a basin sink, and a floor drain. The house is on a septic but there are no septic smells outside and you don't get the fruity smell anywhere else in the house.

Sounds like a smell from some kind of detergent, carpet powder, fabric softener etc of some kind maybe?

I know you said not artificial but maybe if it was spilled a long time ago and the more volatile stuff cooked off then could that be it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Did you cross through any oily barriers lately?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.hunker.com/13406100/my-basement-has-a-sweet-smell

Internet says mold. I'd moisture test and then start cutting open finished walls. Maybe wear a respirator.

But

BonoMan posted:

Did you cross through any oily barriers lately?

if this is it, gtfo asap

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

After several downpours, the incredibly lovely gutters the PO installed on the back porch have gone from "eyesore" to "uh oh" and I need to figure out how far up to push this up my to-do list.

The porch sucks and now I know one more reason why- it's because the gutters have been diverting water on to it instead of away from it.

Most worrying is what's going on over on the other side:

I guess the concrete block was supposed to help catch the water?

The porch and roof are (hopefully) getting ripped out and replaced next spring/summer, but in the short term how concerned should I be about this? As far as I can tell, this is getting nowhere near the foundation, so my only concern is either the porch rotting away under my feet or one of the footings crapping out and dumping whatever is on that corner. Unless there's something else I'm missing. Anything worth doing to mitigate this for the next year or is it just not worth spending any money on?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
As long as it won't pull down the rest of your house let it be? That looks seriously janky though, please tear it down as soon as you can.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Your Porch Is A Piece of poo poo

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

It was one of those "ok, yeah this has gotta go" things when we first looked at the house, but the longer I stare at it the more baffling decisions I find and the more concerned I become. At least they left behind a really nice natural gas grill.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

So I have this latch.

This was on a storm door in back. A few weeks ago wife was coming in from a walk and the thing broke. We're not sure what happened but it wouldn't catch anymore and in the mean time a spring and some other piece fell out. I can't even find the other piece so this is officially kaput.

Trouble is I cannot for the life of me find another one just like this. The off-the-rack latch I got from Home Depot doesn't fit properly and doesn't look anything like the original to begin with. Anyone seen anything like this? Just throwing a hail Mary here before I start screwing around any further trying to make the new one fit. It fits into the door just fine, it just doesn't catch where the old one did.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
A client wants me to remove the peeling wall paper in their small bathroom I'm redoing, I've never done this before. Soak it with a spray bottle and remove it with a paint scraper? Is this going to be a success orrrr

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

A client wants me to remove the peeling wall paper in their small bathroom I'm redoing, I've never done this before. Soak it with a spray bottle and remove it with a paint scraper? Is this going to be a success orrrr

You just never know with wallpaper. If the wall was properly prepped (primed before), there's only one layer, and it hasn't been painted over, it may peel off like peeling a hard boiled egg. Usually, though, it's not that easy, and you resort to steaming/wetting and scraping/peeling bits as carefully as you can without terrible damage to the sheetrock.

I'm a big fan of the Wagner power steamer. It takes some practice to get the feel for how wet you need to get the wall (wetter than you'd think) and how to move it while peeling. They make a mess, so you'll need lots of disposable drop cloths/plastic.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Wife wants a sectional. Where should we be looking? Most of our stuff is Ikea or hand me down.

Edit: this is in NJ, if that matters

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

https://www.article.com/browse/27/sofas-sectionals

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I just did a bedroom. I started with the spray bottle gel stuff + a scoring tool + a scraper and it was miserable, so I opted for this steamer thing: https://www.amazon.ca/Wagner-Sprayt...26374387&sr=8-6

There's some videos on Youtube for how to use it/similar devices. I continued to use the scoring tool with the steamer.

Worked much better, my only complaint was that the plastic head deformed slightly with the heat so it wasn't always forming a great seal with the wall. A ton of glue residue was still left on the wall, and I still had to go over problem spots with the spray stuff or the steam machine again because it didn't always peel off nice.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toebone posted:

Wife wants a sectional. Where should we be looking? Most of our stuff is Ikea or hand me down.

They’re not as stylish as the Article ones, but if you want to sit on the sofa before you buy it, La-Z-Boy had some surprisingly inoffensive ones for a decent price when we were looking.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

The place we bought had a very large garden at one time that was irrigated with water pumped from the river. The garden is completely shot now, though, and will need to be tilled. I know there are pipes/hoses on the property, as well as electric cables. Is there any way to map the wires without spending a small fortune on a magnetic locator or is my best bet to just sever the wire at the house and then tear it all to poo poo with the tiller?

My guess is the previous owner did all the pipe laying and wire laying himself so maybe it's better to start fresh.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

If you're a contractor how's your drywall skill? I wouldn't waste the hours hoping for it to work, just take down the drywall and rehang it. Or put a real timebox on it with your client letting them know how sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but you can't know until you start.

If it's plaster then would they be OK with drywall replacing it?

It does open up the lead and asbestos question obviously, which could add significant time and expenses to the "simple" wallpaper problem.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

replaced the main sump pump.
Then the sump backup battery.
Then the water heater died and we did tankless.
Then the water softener just died a week or so ago and new one just got installed today.

The continued progression to the left is extremely concerning, especially given that it’s a hybrid heat pump system 2 years past a typical lifespan.

RIP our house emergency fund. It is nice to have all of the main house systems easily accessible at least. The blue Lowe’s bucket is a kit with everything needed (hoses, pump, etc) to do the annual tankless flush sans the vinegar.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 15, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:pray: for your load bearing wall.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

replaced the main sump pump.
Then the sump backup battery.
Then the water heater died and we did tankless.
Then the water softener just died a week or so ago and new one just got installed today.

The continued progression to the left is extremely concerning, especially given that it’s a hybrid heat pump system 2 years past a typical lifespan.

RIP our house emergency fund. It is nice to have all of the main house systems easily accessible at least. The blue Lowe’s bucket is a kit with everything needed (hoses, pump, etc) to do the annual tankless flush sans the vinegar.

Get another 45 degree fitting so your HVAC condensate drain is actually draining into the sump pump, and not onto the floor next to it!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Toebone posted:

Biggest thing with furniture is what's your budget? You could spend 2K to 20K. Material preference? Shape?

Personally I recommend you stay away from the big chains, especially ones that are publicly traded. Start with a good local furniture store, preferably family owned. They'll be happy to work with you, and they want to establish a relationship.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

If you're a contractor how's your drywall skill? I wouldn't waste the hours hoping for it to work, just take down the drywall and rehang it. Or put a real timebox on it with your client letting them know how sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but you can't know until you start.

If it's plaster then would they be OK with drywall replacing it?

It does open up the lead and asbestos question obviously, which could add significant time and expenses to the "simple" wallpaper problem.

If the drywall is in good shape what about pulling trim and putting up 1/4" sheetrock over that mess? Just another possibility that works out sometimes, and a lot easier than all of the demo work and trash hauling. A lot cleaner for the rest of the house as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B-Nasty posted:

You just never know with wallpaper.

Yes you do. You always know that it is going to suck giraffe dick. It’s never easy. It’s always three layers of terrible cheap textured wallpaper laid on top of cheap non-latex paint that make spots that you can NOT get off until you break out the scraper and put a fresh blade on it and gently caress I JUST COMPLETELY DESTROYED THIS ENTIRE WALL WHY DIDNT I JUST TELL THE DRYWALL GUY TO GUT IT PLEASE END ME NOW.

My master bedroom suite looks ok now, but the memories I hold for it are nothing but pain and suffering. I hold putting wallpaper up to be only slightly less criminal than putting up popcorn ceilings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

If the drywall is in good shape what about pulling trim and putting up 1/4" sheetrock over that mess? Just another possibility that works out sometimes, and a lot easier than all of the demo work and trash hauling. A lot cleaner for the rest of the house as well.

This went through my head but as I sat in our incredibly cramped bathroom I couldn't imagine losing a cubic inch all the way around doing this. That being said ours has such lovely "hand texture" that sanding it flat enough to put up the thinnest sheet rock would probably result in a net gain of volume.

There is enough texture on those walls to likely replaster them smooth if it were returned to raw material and lathe.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

can you not just prep and paint over wallpaper like folks do with old paint?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sometimes yes

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-rental-house-before-after-photos/?mc_cid=e721347f32&mc_eid=b6eb449e3e

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

can you not just prep and paint over wallpaper like folks do with old paint?

PO at my place just sprayed it with joint compound and did a knockdown texture. Which totally explains why half the place is knockdown.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I skim coated the seams in the wallpaper, sanded, primed it, and painted over it. Not perfect but sure beats stripping wallpaper in a vaulted stairwell. Now it's the next guys problem.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

One of our rooms has wallpaper that only goes along the top trim of the wall and it has been painted over. No idea if I should attempt to remove it or just keep painting over it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

I keep seeing "Article" pop up around here.

Do they make good furniture? Is it well-built and robust, or simply trendy/good looking (not that I could tell if it was or not)?

What about their outdoor offerings? Looks like they have a few.

We're vaguely in the market for a new couch for our living room and also some porch furniture, and we're wary of wayfair/overstock for a purchase like that.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

We need to get new gutters on our house.

Is it worth it to invest in expensive and professional gutters with guards, or just go with traditional and maintain it frequently?

Does it actually add value to the property or no?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Synastren posted:

Is it worth it to invest in expensive and professional gutters with guards, or just go with traditional and maintain it frequently?

This is very subjective based on how many trees you have and personal preference. I would have gladly paid double what we did for ours, but that's in the middle of the woods where I could be up there every other weekend clearing them out.

Do you have an idea how many times a year you would be cleaning them and what the price difference would be? You could do some quick math to estimate the approximate "cost" per cleaning assuming a lifetime for them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Synastren posted:

We need to get new gutters on our house.

Does it actually add value to the property or no?

Are your gutters on the second floor? If so, go with the guards because gently caress going up that high. Similarly, if the gutters are hard to access for reasons.
I have a 1 story bungalow, I get on a ladder once or twice a year. I also only have one deciduous tree in, uhm, leafing distance?
I do want to do zinc gutters next time though. My parents have copper gutters which are amazing, but I have far more methheads near me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

I skim coated the seams in the wallpaper, sanded, primed it, and painted over it. Not perfect but sure beats stripping wallpaper in a vaulted stairwell. Now it's the next guys problem.

gently caress, this is a great idea and I think I'll do this in my dining room...

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Are laminate transition strips not as durable? We just had flooring put in and two of the t-molds already have good gouges out of them. Not sure what would have caused them besides the dog's nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DaveSauce posted:

I keep seeing "Article" pop up around here.

Do they make good furniture? Is it well-built and robust, or simply trendy/good looking (not that I could tell if it was or not)?

What about their outdoor offerings? Looks like they have a few.

We're vaguely in the market for a new couch for our living room and also some porch furniture, and we're wary of wayfair/overstock for a purchase like that.

I bought a pair of article chairs in February because I liked the look, and the price was right. They definitely feel a step up from other furniture at the same approximate price point-- your Ashleys and whatnot, but a step down from some higher end furniture I have. The fabric seems fine, but the padding feels thinner, and they are lighter than I expected.