Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Been injured for two weeks or so now and somehow I got staph the one time I taught a socially distanced grappling dummy class. UGH!!! On anti-biotics now.

Sorry to hear this dude. Staph can enter in the smallest of cuts. I have friends that are black belts that have told me nightmare stories of getting staph and one dude who almost died from it (ended up in the hospital).

Wangsbig posted:

the best part about combat sports is sometimes getting to legally gently caress up cops

Fun fact though: these are usually the toughest guys in the gym to roll with. Not the spec ops dudes, or marines or military...its the cops.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the toughest guys in our gym are a spec ops guy, a child psychologist, and a golf pro.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I train with this girl and today her rash guard lifted up and I saw two ring worm sites on her belly and back. :nms:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

gay for gacha posted:

I train with this girl and today her rash guard lifted up and I saw two ring worm sites on her belly and back. :nms:

With dudes I feel its easier to approach this topic than with women, but she needs to be informed that that isnt normal. Is she new in the gym/ white belt? Sometimes you just need to have a discussion with people what the various things on the mat you can contract are.

Also make sure the mats are being cleaned. After each practice, you should actually watch that the mats are being mopped. This was a problem in my old gym.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

With dudes I feel its easier to approach this topic than with women, but she needs to be informed that that isnt normal. Is she new in the gym/ white belt? Sometimes you just need to have a discussion with people what the various things on the mat you can contract are.

Also make sure the mats are being cleaned. After each practice, you should actually watch that the mats are being mopped. This was a problem in my old gym.

There is supposed to be a few guys that live at the gym in this fighter stable that clean the mats. I've never watched them be cleaned. I train three times a day most days and I can sometimes tell that the mat still feels greasy when I come in the afternoons or at nights. I brought it up to the owner, the fighters and the girl. We'll see.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

gay for gacha posted:

There is supposed to be a few guys that live at the gym in this fighter stable that clean the mats. I've never watched them be cleaned. I train three times a day most days and I can sometimes tell that the mat still feels greasy when I come in the afternoons or at nights. I brought it up to the owner, the fighters and the girl. We'll see.

Thats gross. I used to find all kinds of weird poo poo in the morning on the mat when I would come in and when I would bring it up i was reassured that the mats were cleaned each morning. Look, if you still see poo poo on the mats supposedly after they are being cleaned, they are not being cleaned.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Ours get cleaned after in the evening after class (or after multiple back-to-back classes), but our gym is a separate room within a larger fitness facility. This leads to the mats being used for aerobic classes, who love to complain that the mats are "probably" dirty because of those dirty wrestlers, but never actually clean anything after their own class.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

is this a gym myth? I heard that all grapplers have mrsa in their blood?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My gym mats always smell like disinfectant and people clean them after every class.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

L0cke17 posted:

My gym mats always smell like disinfectant and people clean them after every class.

This should be the norm. No excuses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Our gym runs from 5:00 to 8:00ish and that's two kids classes and then an adult, and it gets wet cleaned at the end of the night and blown with a leaf blower at the start of the day. I have no idea if that is good enough or not but the gym hasn't had an outbreak of stuff AFAIK in the few years I've been there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Our gym runs from 5:00 to 8:00ish and that's two kids classes and then an adult, and it gets wet cleaned at the end of the night and blown with a leaf blower at the start of the day. I have no idea if that is good enough or not but the gym hasn't had an outbreak of stuff AFAIK in the few years I've been there.

Ours gets sprayed with sanitizer and mopped Street every class, even the back to back ones. Sometimes we start the class on the wet surface of the fans haven't had a chance to dry it. I'd rather that then less cleaning.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Sprayed and mopped after every class, even if there’s a private lesson immediately afterwards. Coach grabs a spray thing and starts walking around the mats with it, a couple of students grab those wide rectangular mops and follow him around. All the cleaning stuff is mounted to the wall at the edge of the mats. The disinfectant spray usually goes on pretty thin so that it dries fast.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

When I did Judo class always ended with everyone cleaning the mats. But, I've never ever trained at a BJJ place or even a wrestling academy that cleaned the mats after training. That's kind of gross considering how often I'm face down against the mats.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Kind of wondering this today and maybe someone with more experience can answer this: Why are leglock positions such as outside ashi, "game over" and 50/50, etc. not scored as positions in the IBJJF Nogi setting? Seems logical that they should.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Kind of wondering this today and maybe someone with more experience can answer this: Why are leglock positions such as outside ashi, "game over" and 50/50, etc. not scored as positions in the IBJJF Nogi setting? Seems logical that they should.

Well the leg game was neglected, considered dangerous or "cheap" or outright banned for most of the sports history. Most of the recent increase in prominence in the leg game has come from no-gi competitions with very different rule sets. The IBJJF is the conservative heart of the sport; it only made heel hooks legal within the past year.

Plus the positional hierarchy is considered with great reverence in BJJ. I think they'll be extremely hesitant to mess with that for any reason.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I believe IBJJF has announced for 2022 that 50/50 will be worth two points to each competitor

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My understanding is that the standard BJJ scoring scheme is a product of its roots in vale tudo, i.e. "how well can you beat the poo poo out of the other guy from this position?" That means you wind up with some weird artifacts like mount still being worth 4 points in no-gi even though it's a much less dangerous position without the threat of collar chokes or strikes.

The standard scoring scheme still tracks pretty well in the gi, but no-gi should really just be sub-only, IMO. There's also a bunch of weird blind spots like the crucifix or the body triangle not counting for anything. You could even make a case for the triangle being a dominant controlling position that should be worth points too.

Also, I'm very amused by the idea of coming up with a scoring criteria for 50/50.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nestharken posted:

My understanding is that the standard BJJ scoring scheme is a product of its roots in vale tudo, i.e. "how well can you beat the poo poo out of the other guy from this position?" That means you wind up with some weird artifacts like mount still being worth 4 points in no-gi even though it's a much less dangerous position without the threat of collar chokes or strikes.

The standard scoring scheme still tracks pretty well in the gi, but no-gi should really just be sub-only, IMO. There's also a bunch of weird blind spots like the crucifix or the body triangle not counting for anything. You could even make a case for the triangle being a dominant controlling position that should be worth points too.

Also, I'm very amused by the idea of coming up with a scoring criteria for 50/50.

Vale Tudo did leg locks though.

I thought that the IBJJF leg lock bias had to do with the "Gracies vs the Favelas" classism rivalry, where the Vale Tudo guys from the Favelas were beating Gracies using leg locks in the gym wars and challenge matches, so the Gracies declared leg locks not to be real jiu jitsu and ineffective but also too dangerous and banned them.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The way it's always been portrayed to me is not that leglocks are ineffective or dangerous, but that it's about dominant / higher percentage positioning.

My instructor is an old school Renzo guy who talks pretty frequently about how his mindset is always about what the ramifications of a position or technique are if there were strikes involved. He'll yell at you if you give up a top/dominant position to enter for a leglock, like if you're passing the guard and fall back for an achilles or a heel hook. But if you pass the guard and then leglock the dude you're golden. But even in those cases, there are details that he shows on setups/entries of how he tries to ensure that he's going to maintain top position if his leglock attempt goes south.

He also talks about leglock battles as shootouts where you're gambling that you know the position better than your opponent and so again, it's not about whether a specific lock in a specific position is better, it's about the risk that going for that might present to you in doing so, if your opponent has a better 50/50 game than you for example. So where the high/low percentage thing comes in is not whether a heel hook works or is high % - if you're also at risk that weighs into the formula of whether or not its worth going for or safe going for.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

This concept that the point system is based on dominant position for punches doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me from a competition setting. It does make more sense if you look at it from the viewpoint of "what submissions do I have from this position?". There are way more chokes from side control than say, knee on belly. I feel leglock positions should be treated the same.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think we can all agree that judo considering back-mount a stalemate position is total BS.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Nestharken posted:

There's also a bunch of weird blind spots like the crucifix or the body triangle not counting for anything. You could even make a case for the triangle being a dominant controlling position that should be worth points too.

I want points for putting someone in the truck.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I have ring worm.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

gay for gacha posted:

I have ring worm.

Condolences... I keep waiting for this to happen to me. That or some cellulitis or other gnarly skin thing but so far so good.

EDIT - rank review tomorrow night! i'm excited to learn from different folks and roll with other students that i never get to see. i doubt i'll get a stripe on my pleb tier white belt given the weirdness of training for 6mo, then covid, now two months but i'm going for the continued education instead of a level up.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
I got bit! Albeit through a mask

I had a gentleman in a head and arm choke and as an escape he chose to bite his way out, fair play to him it worked but biting? In these times?

I was completely taken aback!

Then I went home and my Achilles was bitten by a dog!

I must have a decent flavour profile

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

I had a gentleman in a head and arm choke and as an escape he chose to bite his way out, fair play to him it worked but biting? In these times?

Better than me. I would have punched him in the mouth. I don't play nice when people don't play by the rules.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I am trying to think of the funniest counter if somebody tried that. What if you just pinched his nose shut with your other hand? And you could twist the nose, too, that’d hurt, maybe use that to turn his face away if the biting doesn’t stop.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Actual bite defense is shove your arm into their mouth/shove their head forward into the arm so it wedges open their jaw fwiw

I personally recommend it because it's easy to do, nullifies the bite and ime they give up after a couple of seconds of being an uncomfortable dingus

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 14, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah I saw that on a catch video once. Shove your arm deeper, push their head forward then wrap around the forehead like you're going to 1 arm strangle their head. Squeeze and twist, jaw goes one way skull the other. Yikes

Counter facelock or jawlock or something like that. Pretty nasty.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Hope you can stay away from some mosquitos... lol don't catch the zika or that west nile

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think it’s your duty to take someone to the hellraiser dimension if they try something like that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah I saw that on a catch video once. Shove your arm deeper, push their head forward then wrap around the forehead like you're going to 1 arm strangle their head. Squeeze and twist, jaw goes one way skull the other. Yikes

Counter facelock or jawlock or something like that. Pretty nasty.

If you could find a link that'd be sweet. I can find facelock videos on youtube (like this and this) but I can't find anything that's a counter to a bite.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

gay for gacha posted:

I have ring worm.

Hopefully it wasnt from that girl you mentioned.

Also: Lamisil.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Count Roland posted:

If you could find a link that'd be sweet. I can find facelock videos on youtube (like this and this) but I can't find anything that's a counter to a bite.

It was an aside in a video about more normal subs. Can't find it now :(

This billy Robinson video is pretty much it though. Except the cross hand is actually in their mouth. The back version I can't find anywhere but was the same idea, lock the jaw out then twist. Like the logic of a heel hook.

https://youtu.be/Xq0OrVgEFs4

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
One of my coaches has a polite-but-threatening speech that he gives to people who grab one or two of his fingers, to the effect of: "In BJJ, we grab all four fingers at once. If you're in a fight, you can grab one finger, and if you do that to me in here, that means we're fighting." I can't even imagine what would happen if someone tried biting, lol

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Nestharken posted:

One of my coaches has a polite-but-threatening speech that he gives to people who grab one or two of his fingers, to the effect of: "In BJJ, we grab all four fingers at once. If you're in a fight, you can grab one finger, and if you do that to me in here, that means we're fighting." I can't even imagine what would happen if someone tried biting, lol

We had a weird new guy try to break one of my coaches fingers after telling him he trained jiu-jitsu and asking if hand locks were okay. He had a similar" if you want to hurt me ill hurt you" talk he gave the guy and then the guy left.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

gay for gacha posted:

I have ring worm.

Sucks I just had it for like a month on my face, kept coming back after treatment. Had to get on oral antifungals.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
one of my friends is thinking about starting BJJ (not in my city) and he wants to know about starting. do we have a thread recommended video for "beginners bjj" butterflys or what to know? idk.

I don't wanna just be like, lol it loving sucks for a while and eventually you'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

We used to recommend getting saulo's book jiu jitsu university.