Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

starkebn posted:

Maybe from physically stressing yourself again?

I don't think so. I took up running in place of grappling, I was in better shape when I came back than I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

ihop posted:

I feel like since coming back from covid I've been playing catchup with the year's-worth of colds and weird skin rashes I missed. Since coming back I think I'm missing close to 50% of my practices due to illness.

same same but different: my first class back after a year and i blew my finger out. tore a bunch of ligaments and such. still going to class but the rolling is very controlled.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm having a l little trouble with my head-and-arm choke. Specifically the transition when someone is escaping back control on the "good" side. I usually drive the arm (my arm) that was under his/her armpit up and over their far shoulder as I climb on to mount, keeping the head-and-arm squeezed the whole time. This is usually a very reliable setup for me to finish with the choke but a couple guys at my gym who are a bit bigger than me are managing to do a big twist/bridge towards me right as I come off the ground to go to mount and they manage to slip their elbow free enough to get out of it. I think it's when I briefly separate my hands to pull out the arm that was underneath them and push myself up. My choking arm isn't deep enough at that point to hold on it's own and I'm guessing I'm lifting my head a bit too at the same moment which makes it harder to squeeze. I'll ask the guys who are giving me trouble to help me out but has anyone else encountered this problem or know of a possible solution?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ihop posted:

I'm having a l little trouble with my head-and-arm choke. Specifically the transition when someone is escaping back control on the "good" side. I usually drive the arm (my arm) that was under his/her armpit up and over their far shoulder as I climb on to mount, keeping the head-and-arm squeezed the whole time. This is usually a very reliable setup for me to finish with the choke but a couple guys at my gym who are a bit bigger than me are managing to do a big twist/bridge towards me right as I come off the ground to go to mount and they manage to slip their elbow free enough to get out of it. I think it's when I briefly separate my hands to pull out the arm that was underneath them and push myself up. My choking arm isn't deep enough at that point to hold on it's own and I'm guessing I'm lifting my head a bit too at the same moment which makes it harder to squeeze. I'll ask the guys who are giving me trouble to help me out but has anyone else encountered this problem or know of a possible solution?

I think I see whats going on if Im visualizing this correctly. For them to defend you going to mount, controlling your left arm (the stuck arm) is crucial. They probably wouldnt be allowing you to go to mount if that was the case.

Im going to say get to mount first and control their shoulders being on the ground. Control is more important than getting the submission and setting up a head and arm from the mount position is relatively straightforward. Otherwise if I am going straight to the sub, I wouldn't be trying to get to mount rather getting the choking arm in place and trapping their arm would be critical to getting them to the finish. Most of the time your not going to finish that submission from the mount position anyway, rather getting to the side and sprawling.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Getting back into BJJ tonight, first time since COVID. I'm actually really nervous lol

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

HamsterPolice posted:

Getting back into BJJ tonight, first time since COVID. I'm actually really nervous lol

Have fun!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HamsterPolice posted:

You'll be ok. It won't take you more than a couple classes to feel mostly-good again.

Don't be surprised if you find your game is different from before. Nor if other people's skill levels are not at all as you remembered them before.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

It went well. I forgot how to escape sidecontrol. Otherwise it is good to be back. :)

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

two new guys rolling beside me were going at it and somehow one of them fell and elbowed me in the ear. It's the worst ear trauma I've had and I've been grappling most of my life.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
No kidding some of the worst grappling injuries I've had were from someone I was sparring near but not with.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
Ahhh! I had my competition I got disqualified for doing an Achilles lock I swear I heard one of my dudes voice in the crowd say “Achilles lock” turns out it was the other side.

I was winning on points until that point. My teammate that was in the same bracket ended up losing to him and getting silver I got bronze, double bronze! I don’t feel like I deserved anything.

I felt pretty exhausted afterwards so now I am running and doing body weight exercises early in the morning.

I have noticed recently that I have a fear of submissions I don’t go for them I don’t do them the one I do do is the Lachlan Giles head arm choke that was linked in this thread but that’s all . Any suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Ahhh! I had my competition I got disqualified for doing an Achilles lock I swear I heard one of my dudes voice in the crowd say “Achilles lock” turns out it was the other side.

I was winning on points until that point. My teammate that was in the same bracket ended up losing to him and getting silver I got bronze, double bronze! I don’t feel like I deserved anything.

I felt pretty exhausted afterwards so now I am running and doing body weight exercises early in the morning.

I have noticed recently that I have a fear of submissions I don’t go for them I don’t do them the one I do do is the Lachlan Giles head arm choke that was linked in this thread but that’s all . Any suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?

Running made my grappling a lot better. I don't gas anymore unless it's like 7-8 7 minute rounds back to back. And even then I can usually take a round off and do more.

I think I used to struggle submitting. And I would spend a lot of time surviving and escaping. For me I was afraid of losing a position because of a failed submission. Like I didn't want to lose closed guard trying to jump the triangle. So I would just sit there. If I was in mount I didn't want to start working anything other than a head and arm choke bc it was relitavely safe.. As in if it failed I still had mount.

Someone more experienced than me just told me to stop doing that and try and see how I fail and lose the positions and I slowly began to be okay with losing winning positions attempting submissions until I learned how get better and better.

It's funny you mention this. I train with this guy who went to the Olympics for judo representing a middle Eastern country. He has a very faded purple belt in bjj. And he told me that the first two years of bjj he would just pin and survive and was afraid of submissions. But now he has this mantra "submit everybody" and will just go for submissions non stop till he gets one and then he will do other things. It is a bit of a bro science anecdote but I guess that's the thing you have to remember. You have to submit. Winning by points doesn't feel nearly as good as winning by submission. And you can only get better at submitting by attempting them, on everyone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It looks like we're going to open up next week such that I can start rolling again, but my loving shoulder is jacked from sleeping on it weird.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Congrats on competing! Now you have the first one out of the way and know what to expect next time. That DQ is a little weird; I've never heard of a tournament that wouldn't allow a straight ankle lock for adult white belts. My guess is that you actually got DQed for accidentally reaping the knee in the process. I'd suggest asking your instructor to show you a few safe (and tournament-legal) ankle lock entries for next time.

As far as having a fear of submissions, I don't know enough about you to give a specific answer, but pretty much every beginner will benefit from paying extra attention to the elements of control that are necessary to secure a submission--isolating limbs, controlling rotation of the torso, etc. That said, sometimes you just gotta go for it and see what happens.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the occasional overzealous ibjjf DQ is the price you pay for the cheat code that is straight ankle locks at white belt

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's a dumb question: when do I need to start developing, uh, plans?

Because right now I'm a no stripe blue belt that just shows up to class, listens to the instructions, and makes a genuine effort, but I'm not, like, developing flow charts or "a game", unless its subconscious.

I do like the basic flow that got posted here years ago of headquarters to either smash pass or knee slice, I feel like I should probably develop or already know a complimentary either/or for every position, but they don't exactly spring to mind while rolling.

Ok now that I'm typing let me be more honest: I came back from Covid and there's like a solid half dozen white belts that are all at least as good as me if not better, and while I really wouldn't say I'm exactly bitter (I know I won't be better than everyone, even lower belts, I really do) I'd still like to improve a bit.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Because right now I'm a no stripe blue belt that just shows up to class, listens to the instructions, and makes a genuine effort, but I'm not, like, developing flow charts or "a game", unless its subconscious.

I do like the basic flow that got posted here years ago of headquarters to either smash pass or knee slice, I feel like I should probably develop or already know a complimentary either/or for every position, but they don't exactly spring to mind while rolling.

Ok now that I'm typing let me be more honest: I came back from Covid and there's like a solid half dozen white belts that are all at least as good as me if not better, and while I really wouldn't say I'm exactly bitter (I know I won't be better than everyone, even lower belts, I really do) I'd still like to improve a bit.

Belt color doesn't matter, just focus on you.

For me I started developing my actual game shortly after getting my blue belt.

I basically found 2-3 positions I knew multiple things from and just forced my way there vs everyone every roll for months til I was decent at them.

I chose half-guard, x-guard and single leg x as my bottom game and a set of 4 judo trips for my standup and I focused on back takes, mounted triangles, and arm triangles from top position.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a particularly dedicated gameplan. To start off I just said "I'm gonna get to half guard every time they are in top position"

Then I realized there were a couple good transitions to xguard from bottom half if they tried to escape my preferred half-guard sweeps.

Then I found my Lord and savior straight ankle locks were just right there when I was in xguard so I started learning single leg x stuff.

Your plan is almost certainly gonna be different than mine but if you make the effort to be in the same position over and over vs many different people you'll find holes in your knowledge and when you patch those holes you'll slowly expand to a real gameplan.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I already have preferred positions, both offensive and defensive, I'll just rewatch some of these BJJ roadmap videos and work on improving a few things, thanks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Become the Tumbler: only hunt for rolling Kimuras, rolling kneebars, rolling anacondas, the truck.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Been injured for two weeks or so now and somehow I got staph the one time I taught a socially distanced grappling dummy class. UGH!!! On anti-biotics now.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Become the Tumbler: only hunt for rolling Kimuras, rolling kneebars, rolling anacondas, the truck.

don't @ me

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
From my time traveling to different gyms the most ruthlessly effective gameplan that seemed universal was attacking the neck or the legs at all times + some above average wrestling. With rock solid defense of course, especially vs the.

Substitute guard for wrestling but even then you've got to come up on a single or otherwise be a threat in turtle and scrambles.

Basically what DDS does, but I've saw it all over the US. Whatever the lineage or location there was a real commonality in the people I found most dangerous.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes

gay for gacha posted:

Running made my grappling a lot better. I don't gas anymore unless it's like 7-8 7 minute rounds back to back. And even then I can usually take a round off and do more.

I think I used to struggle submitting. And I would spend a lot of time surviving and escaping. For me I was afraid of losing a position because of a failed submission. Like I didn't want to lose closed guard trying to jump the triangle. So I would just sit there. If I was in mount I didn't want to start working anything other than a head and arm choke bc it was relitavely safe.. As in if it failed I still had mount.

Someone more experienced than me just told me to stop doing that and try and see how I fail and lose the positions and I slowly began to be okay with losing winning positions attempting submissions until I learned how get better and better.

It's funny you mention this. I train with this guy who went to the Olympics for judo representing a middle Eastern country. He has a very faded purple belt in bjj. And he told me that the first two years of bjj he would just pin and survive and was afraid of submissions. But now he has this mantra "submit everybody" and will just go for submissions non stop till he gets one and then he will do other things. It is a bit of a bro science anecdote but I guess that's the thing you have to remember. You have to submit. Winning by points doesn't feel nearly as good as winning by submission. And you can only get better at submitting by attempting them, on everyone.

You hit the nail on the head, I am afraid of losing positions and will go with the safe head and arm choke. I suppose the only way to learn to swim is jump in it’s not like I don’t KNOW submissions I am just afraid to try. Thanks for your words.

They said I was torquing the knee so I guess through osmosis from reading the thread I automatically reaped the knee. You guys!

As for game plans I just write the positions and I write four things I can do from that position and what it could lead to I guess not unlike the flow chart posted here. It’s been a while since I have done it but having that helped me greatly because instead of getting into position and stalling to think I immediately had an idea.

Our hardcore Rolodex of techniques Blue Belt came back from Melbourne. He has handed back his Blue belt twice as he has changed gyms, is this a common thing? Or is it just a pride thing?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
If you get a false DQ, don't leave the mat. The moment you step off, you're accepting the judgement call.

Sit down and patiently let them explain it. If they're wrong, make them watch the footage again.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

You hit the nail on the head, I am afraid of losing positions and will go with the safe head and arm choke. I suppose the only way to learn to swim is jump in it’s not like I don’t KNOW submissions I am just afraid to try. Thanks for your words.

They said I was torquing the knee so I guess through osmosis from reading the thread I automatically reaped the knee. You guys!

As for game plans I just write the positions and I write four things I can do from that position and what it could lead to I guess not unlike the flow chart posted here. It’s been a while since I have done it but having that helped me greatly because instead of getting into position and stalling to think I immediately had an idea.

Our hardcore Rolodex of techniques Blue Belt came back from Melbourne. He has handed back his Blue belt twice as he has changed gyms, is this a common thing? Or is it just a pride thing?

There's also something to be said for sharpening a technique to the point where you can hit it on people who are generally much better than you, so you don't need to abandon the head and arm choke entirely. It might be good to start branching out with submissions that people open up while they try to defend it--maybe an Americana, or a gift wrap to set up the back take?

A knee reap by itself is much less dangerous than it's made out to be; banning it is a holdover from the olden days when most BJJ gyms didn't have a great understanding of leglocks, but it is what it is. Some tournaments are starting to allow it, but I wouldn't say it's widespread yet in gi-focused competition. In the meantime, look up Mikey Musumeci if you want to learn some killer ankle locks that should be legal anywhere.

People demoting themselves is pretty rare. I've heard of a few people who switched from a less technical/competitive school to one with higher belt standards and felt embarrassed enough to just start over at white, and I know one guy who took a loooong layoff and removed the stripes from his blue belt when he came back because he felt like he had forgotten that much, but that kind of thing is very much the exception and not the rule. Seems especially weird for someone to do it twice.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Sounds more like sandbagging to me. I can sorta see the idea of doing that if it's completely different systems, like switching from 10th planet to a more traditional school and you need to relearn fundamentals. Most schools (at least IME) aren't that formal though.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

This.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

In this respect, plans are just a learning tool that you can use for identifying where you should be focusing your training efforts. They're not mandatory. Rather, they're something you can use if you're unsatisfied with the progress you're making.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Once is weird, twice is dumb/bad/wrong. Two coaches thought this guy deserved his blue. By giving back his belt he's saying both these coaches are wrong; I for one would believe the coaches over this guy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ain't nothing wrong with head and arm chokes and staying on top.

I mean you should still try stuff, put yourself in bad situations, and explore but you don't need to change your core game if you're holding dominate positions and finishing from them.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

When a head and arm choke is failing, you can pick them up and take the back. From the mount, if they don't give you the arm for the choke you can cross face them and put your weight sort of diagonally and work an arm lock, or mounted triangle if you stuff their arm. You can also bait them to give you technical mount and work an armbar or a back take from there too.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the best part about combat sports is sometimes getting to legally gently caress up cops

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Wangsbig posted:

the best part about combat sports is sometimes getting to legally gently caress up cops

This is a big and strange perk for me where I train. We have a couple cops there and initially it's weird but then the catharsis hits.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

With regards to early gameplan development, maybe just start picking favourites and then try to work out what you like about them? The first thing I had success with was half guard, because it’s the easiest guard to recover when you’re getting smashed. Then I took to the kimura from bottom half guard because the threat of a submission makes people much easier to sweep. Then I got into over-under passing and top half passing because you land there from half guard sweeps, and then I got into the kimura from top position because I already understood it pretty well. When passing, I liked knee-cutting because it put me in the same sort of positions that my sweeps were landing me into.

Later on I started making sure that all the positions I was using worked across gi/nogi/self-defence as a philosophy thing.

My game is a lot wider now but that was how I found my competition strategy, just got one piece I liked and slowly added to it until it all made sense.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Dude, if you say the quiet part loud, they'll take it away from us. Somehow.

:ssh:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Nestharken posted:

People demoting themselves is pretty rare. I've heard of a few people who switched from a less technical/competitive school to one with higher belt standards and felt embarrassed enough to just start over at white, and I know one guy who took a loooong layoff and removed the stripes from his blue belt when he came back because he felt like he had forgotten that much, but that kind of thing is very much the exception and not the rule. Seems especially weird for someone to do it twice.

I could have a 100 year layoff and you would have to tear my one stripe from my cold dead hands. Those people put way more faith in the belt than they should. There are some really lovely black belts.

You don't want to limit yourself by the color of your belt. That's why nogi is so great.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

I like to put them in a kimura while yelling "STOP RESISTING". Bonus points if Killing In The Name is on the playlist at the time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

If you're arching your back to finish the straight ankle lock you are allowed to arch so their knee/hip opens outwards, you'll be DQ'd for reaping if you arch and turn so that their knee/hip turns inwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOZMA-xxxo

starkebn fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

With regards to early gameplan development, maybe just start picking favourites and then try to work out what you like about them? The first thing I had success with was half guard, because it’s the easiest guard to recover when you’re getting smashed. Then I took to the kimura from bottom half guard because the threat of a submission makes people much easier to sweep. Then I got into over-under passing and top half passing because you land there from half guard sweeps, and then I got into the kimura from top position because I already understood it pretty well. When passing, I liked knee-cutting because it put me in the same sort of positions that my sweeps were landing me into.

Later on I started making sure that all the positions I was using worked across gi/nogi/self-defence as a philosophy thing.

My game is a lot wider now but that was how I found my competition strategy, just got one piece I liked and slowly added to it until it all made sense.

I love that we had the same mindset starting out and ended up with similar results via different paths: Instead of kimura, I hunt dogfight or deep half because I like loving with peoples' hips. Both of those end me in over-under, double under, or smash pass type positions so I made that (and gravedigger in gi) my next main passing system. Then I got into knee-cutting because I like the pressure pass game.

Now I'm more trying to work k-guard/de la riva and rdlr/waiter guard a la Lachy in no gi and keymaster/de la riva/ rdlr/waiter a la Langeker, Mathiesen, and the bolo bros. It's a bit daunting trying to force myself not to rely on my half guard game when I inevitably do something wrong in those systems, but it is kind of nice knowing that I always have a backup plan.

EDIT: I would just kill to actually get some instruction from any of those guys other than videos.