Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but your previous job was an extremely toxic nightmare in what, bumfuck Alabama? Behoove you to throw your resume around some. Never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Bro I exceeded expectations and got 3.8%. poo poo is rigged, I’m out next spring cause screw that. You are lucky.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

I calculated it out to be like 7.78% or something. Not amazing, but it's hard to internalize since I'm already making almost twice what I made at my previous job.

I'm nestling down in the well again, it seems.

Not too bad! Definitely not "gently caress this I need a new job" money, even considering what you accomplished. I'd say stick around and see what they do next year. Of course, keep LinkedIn updated, keep feelers out, etc., but it's not a bad raise at all. I'll even say if you are at a place where you could even get that stuff done, you're in a better place than most. Keep getting that experience, keep getting those raises, and imo you're on the right track.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

I calculated it out to be like 7.78% or something. Not amazing, but it's hard to internalize since I'm already making almost twice what I made at my previous job.

I'm nestling down in the well again, it seems.
So now you're up, what, ~65% on previous job? And they have your back when customers are lovely?

What Internet Explorer said, but definitely stick those metrics straight on LinkedIn and see what happens.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, 8% isn't bad, but even in an absolute seller's market, the only way to get a significant raise is to hop to a new company.

Combined with the comment that there's no on-call rotation, definitely get your LinkedIn up to snuff and toggle on the "Open to New Opportunities" or "Actively Looking". Companies are gobbling up all the tech talent they can get right now. I don't want you miss this gold rush. You'll get plenty of garbage, but I'd bet there's a 30-70% raise out there waiting for you too. Larchesdanrew, we're rooting for you!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arquinsiel posted:

definitely stick those metrics straight on LinkedIn and see what happens.

Back in 2013 or so I had an absolutely kick-rear end year at work where I pulled in similar metrics to larches. I reduced time-to-close from months to days. I turned average contacts-per-case from about twelve to about three. I reduced overall case volume by about 80% by launching a public KB, full of articles I wrote myself, and redirecting people's ticket creation to a search for their subject line in that KB. A sort of "we see you're opening a ticket about X. Here are the KBs about that" thing. I god drat near automated myself out of a job.

It was at a startup where everyone was super tight. I put my resume up with those metrics on LinkedIn. I had like four offers making double what I currently was within a couple of weeks. I shared those with my boss (who, to this day, is the best boss I ever had), and he matched the best offer AND added in a shitload of stock options. No questions asked. I still work for that company, although we're about three acquisitions down the road. The current company does that stupid poo poo where only the top few people get any raise at all, so I'm probably not long for this job. Those big numbers from back in the day STILL catch eyes.

But enough about me, this is about larches. Their metrics are better than mine.

larches, my friend, I don't know what you make now, but you are worth more. Shop that resume around. Spend a few bucks on a resume writing service if you're bad at writing them; you just got a raise to pay for that. If you can't add 30%+ to your salary by Halloween, I'd be shocked.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 14, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

A raise came in.

My first raise ever :unsmith:

Hell yeah!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, 8% isn't bad, but even in an absolute seller's market, the only way to get a significant raise is to hop to a new company.

I really wish the whole industry wasn't like this, why would you not want to retain the people that know your systems and have reliably done poo poo for you correctly for a long time? You've paid for their training, they already know the most common things to break, etc. Not even getting CoL increase or inflation raises annually means you're literally giving them pay cuts every year.

I don't want to whiteboard for 3 days per interview every year just to be able to make ever-increasing rent

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Biowarfare posted:

I really wish the whole industry wasn't like this, why would you not want to retain the people that know your systems and have reliably done poo poo for you correctly for a long time? You've paid for their training, they already know the most common things to break, etc. Not even getting CoL increase or inflation raises annually means you're literally giving them pay cuts every year.

I don't want to whiteboard for 3 days per interview every year just to be able to make ever-increasing rent

All this is true, and it sucks.

You can only change the rules when you win. I've tripled my compensation over the past eight years with relatively lazy job-hopping. Even after finding a place I'm comfortable with, I'm still keeping some dialogs open with recruiters in case someone wants to give me another 30-60% for even less work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Explorer posted:

Not too bad! Definitely not "gently caress this I need a new job" money, even considering what you accomplished. I'd say stick around and see what they do next year. Of course, keep LinkedIn updated, keep feelers out, etc., but it's not a bad raise at all. I'll even say if you are at a place where you could even get that stuff done, you're in a better place than most. Keep getting that experience, keep getting those raises, and imo you're on the right track.

8% is indeed great at a single company.

Except for the fact inflation is up 5% YOY, so it's really closer to 3% net. Still not nothing, but not great.

Biowarfare posted:

oh 100%, it's a massive problem when economic incentives encourage jumping ship every few years. you just don't retain the necessary experience to have your engineers be really effective at their job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Woof Blitzer posted:

Bro I exceeded expectations and got 3.8%. poo poo is rigged, I’m out next spring cause screw that. You are lucky.

Same, but also about 10% in stock and almost 20% in bonus. I'll stick around for now since it's also a 'best boss', 'healthiest organization', and 'best team' situation.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I will leave in April the minute my annual bonus hits my bank account :blastu:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RIP me, gotta patch some Exchange servers tonight on Windows 2016. How many hours will this take?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GreenNight posted:

RIP me, gotta patch some Exchange servers tonight on Windows 2016. How many hours will this take?

You just reminded me about how slow 2016 is at patching. Is there some weird technical reason that explains why?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GreenNight posted:

Lol, far more than you think it will. Take a snapshot just in case if it doesn’t have any mailboxes attached. I still need to update our two hybrid servers to CU10, I’ll do it next Wednesday after CAB and drop in the security patch as well as some recommendations from the health check script. I’m thankful our exchange isn’t publicly available; all we use it for is the azure sync/attribute stuff and internal SMTP relay outbound to proofpoint.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's just used for management and as a relay. There are no mailboxes, those are all up in 365. I did the latest CU's last weekend.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I completed my :yotj: with the megacorp and started at the new place about a week ago. The first paycheck cleared without incident so now I feel like I've cleared the superstitious "it's not real until they pay you" credo I've always had.

I cannot recall the last time I actually felt... competent like this. The new people are honest, friendly, and open about the things they don't do well and what they would like me to do. I feel like I can actually do it, because the stuff the megacorp wanted me to do was way more difficult. I couldn't figure the megacorp stuff out but somehow I learned enough, recalled enough, and it finally sunk in that I actually developed there.

Plus nobody is making a gigantic deal about everything being code. If it's a one-off thing, the new place not only doesn't care how I accomplish it, but they want to see what I did, because it's so new to them. Nobody has used the term "leverage" yet. At all. I've been working hard on trying to address my chronic impostor syndrome, and this is starting to feel like I'm actually making progress against it.

The new place does have its issues - users have local admin, they're bad at saying "we're at time, let's schedule another meeting", they have some serious alert fatigue, but people have free hands to pitch things that might work better. Still, I forgot how different it was in a non-megacorp environment. People actually say sentences to each other. With emotion. They don't run everything through the Corporate Filter.

I also got to drop a Star Trek reference in response to someone else's Star Trek reference. I'm not the only nerd, and that feels good.

Doesn't hurt that I'm making about $2000 more per paycheck before taxes, 401k, insurance, etc. Get into Azure, people!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MJP posted:

Good stuff...

That's great to hear. It's an amazing feeling to jump from a poo poo show to a place where you feel comfortable.

Speaking of Azure... I'm seriously entertaining putting in the effort to pivot from my current role in clinical app support, and pursuing something in Azure/AWS. I know its a very wide gap to jump but current gig has a lot of downtime that allows for studying.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you have the free time and inclination, Azure, AWS and GCP all offer robust trials/free tiers. Do some labs, watch some ACG videos, pair it with terraform, add some keywords to your LinkedIn profile and recruiters will start beating down your door.

Cloud automation/iac stuff is super hot right now.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Fool posted:

If you have the free time and inclination, Azure, AWS and GCP all offer robust trials/free tiers. Do some labs, watch some ACG videos, pair it with terraform, add some keywords to your LinkedIn profile and recruiters will start beating down your door.
Cloud automation/iac stuff is super hot right now.

seconded. it's the hotness. (we're about to go looking for someone for instance.)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We revoked the M365 Office Enterprise licenses for a whole slew of inactive users and a ticket came in. A manager emailed an employee and it bounced, they wanted to know why doesn't it work anymore, this is an active employee.

This employee hadn't checked their work email in more than three years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's fantastic.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

klosterdev posted:

americandream.txt

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

That's great to hear. It's an amazing feeling to jump from a poo poo show to a place where you feel comfortable.

Speaking of Azure... I'm seriously entertaining putting in the effort to pivot from my current role in clinical app support, and pursuing something in Azure/AWS. I know its a very wide gap to jump but current gig has a lot of downtime that allows for studying.

I started getting into Azure out of concern that regular ol' sysadmin was going the way of the dodo. I had absolute zilch experience in it. I got the Azure admin cert and was able to parlay my experience into a job that had a sorta hybrid environment. It's been pretty decent ever since - once you get Good At Azure, you can look someone in the eye and say "I have nothing to do with that's on the VMs or their functionality, talk to the helpdesk" and have your boss nod along with you.

It's not sunshine and roses, and it involves some really big shifts in thinking, but once you start understanding how stuff works - it's not computers, it's just services - it starts to make sense.

Sysadmins still seem to be very much in need, but cloud's been decent to me so far, kinda

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The DFW area is so in demand for sysadmins that its a little sad. The demand might actually cause the base salaries for sysadmins to get over that 90k hump. Tragic considering the amount of experience with the insane number of tools these jobs demand.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

The DFW area is so in demand for sysadmins that its a little sad. The demand might actually cause the base salaries for sysadmins to get over that 90k hump. Tragic considering the amount of experience with the insane number of tools these jobs demand.

shame about it being in texas tho

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

I loving hope it does. It’s a real shame for traditional IT, which is increasingly losing top tier senior talent to cloud or software engineering. There should be more of a career path for folks who do internal IT because it demands that level of expertise, but the salary and career progression just isn’t there to reward ambition. Why stay in networking or whatever when you can do any other tech job and get 30k more on your salary.

IT needs more engineers is what I’m saying.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

klosterdev posted:

We revoked the M365 Office Enterprise licenses for a whole slew of inactive users and a ticket came in. A manager emailed an employee and it bounced, they wanted to know why doesn't it work anymore, this is an active employee.

What were they doing? I've been in places where there were employees who genuinely didn't need email, but I kind of hope this was like a department head or something.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

Gotta have that office culture

“office culture” is when someone leaves their half-eaten yogurt in the shared fridge for two months

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I started getting into Azure with O365 and AAD, then SSO, and once you get some of that under your belt the rest of it starts to make sense too. There's a lot of weirdness in Azure, I imagine in Google and AWS too. But that's what training and poking around are for.

I'm a "Senior Systems Administrator" and probably 60/40 Azure/OnPrem still. But the cloud stuff isn't going anywhere so that 60 is only going to go up.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Arquinsiel posted:

What were they doing? I've been in places where there were employees who genuinely didn't need email, but I kind of hope this was like a department head or something.

Just a janitor, so totally understandable that they could have gotten by without ever checking their work email if the manager wasn't paying attention. It's not just this user tho, problem is that Microsoft's non-profit license grants require less than 15% inactive users and they reached out to us letting us know we were out-of-compliance. So we delicensed all non-service accounts that haven't been active in more than a month. This has resulted in a bunch of managers across the org making tickets asking why they can't email $employee and us explaining that $employee hasn't even checked their email in months-to-years.

Its been more of an indictment of managers asleep at the wheel.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I found this shirt in my closet and decided to wear it to the office today because I'm just the coolest motherfucker around

Sorry ladies, I'm already taken :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ip6.arpa.:aaa:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hmm.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
it's not like every single carrier doesn't have all service guarantees suspended anyway since the last year

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

klosterdev posted:

Just a janitor, so totally understandable that they could have gotten by without ever checking their work email if the manager wasn't paying attention. It's not just this user tho, problem is that Microsoft's non-profit license grants require less than 15% inactive users and they reached out to us letting us know we were out-of-compliance. So we delicensed all non-service accounts that haven't been active in more than a month. This has resulted in a bunch of managers across the org making tickets asking why they can't email $employee and us explaining that $employee hasn't even checked their email in months-to-years.

Its been more of an indictment of managers asleep at the wheel.
Yeah, problem here is you made the managers look bad by... taking sensible action to maintain critical business functionality.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My place is trying to implement a similar thing to flag and disable inactive computer accounts in AD, and they're discovering that a good chunk of the new laptops they issued out to people to work from home earlier in COVID have apparently not been online, either on the work network or just on the internet where they'll phone home to Microsoft, for months. These people also apparently still have desktop PCs with remote access enabled so it's not like they haven't been working, but it sure doesn't look good for whoever approved everyone getting laptops too.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
We lost a client today because they refused to renew the support contract with the vendor on an xray machine, knowing full-well that uncovered support was $299 every 15 minutes and really rolled that dice.

Guess what broke this morning? And guess what we don't have the ability to, nor want to, work on?

Guess who had to pay $300 every 15 minutes to have a loving filament replaced on their xray this morning?

Guess who blamed us and fired us?

Guess who really cares at this point?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's nowhere near the same impact but we had a client a few years back with two sites and a Lifesize codec at each, and a support contract with Lifesize for the maintenance of the systems. They argued with us for ages that they shouldn't have to pay for support as they were already paying us to manage their IT for them, and we presented them with the number of tickets we'd received over the year that needed to be referred out to Lifesize and were then resolved. Of course they didn't renew the support and then they had issues in a video meeting, of course it was vital that their video conferencing hardware worked. Just not critical enough to pay for I guess. One of the things they brought up when they left us was the amount of poo poo in their environment that was breaking and we were quoting to replace. I don't even know what to do in that situation, it's just a monumental failure to set any sort of expectations I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like both of you need a fresh set of account managers.
When I joined global MSP/VAR 2 jobs ago, they had long standing culture of not enforcing contracts and giving support for free. We put a stop to that where we could because in the end we're a business and not a charity but it sucked because clients had a massive sense of entitlement and half the company was reinforcing that.
Also with support contracts with vendors, good luck getting vendor support.