Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Speaking of intro stuff, any resources on beginning to get into the leg lock game? A white belt asked me for tips yesterday; I directed him towards Ryan Hall but otherwise I'm stumped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Oliver Taza and Stephen Kesting released a comprehensive tape on no gi leg locks for beginners. Garry Tonon recently released a survey of the modern leglock game called Breaking Legs and Breaking Hearts that is really good and comprehensive, even covers hitting kneebars from 50/50 and saddle

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Reilly Bodycombs older, much cheaper (than Tonon or others on bjjfanatics) instructionals cover the leglock game from top position really well. Think it’s called Top Rock

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Give Reilly money

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Waroduce posted:

one of my friends is thinking about starting BJJ (not in my city) and he wants to know about starting. do we have a thread recommended video for "beginners bjj" butterflys or what to know? idk.

I don't wanna just be like, lol it loving sucks for a while and eventually you'll love it.

There's a ton of YouTube videos that purport to convert exactly this. Like, an amazing number. I've never watched one though so I can't attest to their quality.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Speaking of intro stuff, any resources on beginning to get into the leg lock game? A white belt asked me for tips yesterday; I directed him towards Ryan Hall but otherwise I'm stumped

Craig Jones down under leg locks. That one lachlan Giles dvd. Don't buy the danaher dvd it's like a 12 hour snoooooze fest.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Who I'd recommend for anything would depend upon the type of instruction the individual best responds to. For me personally I always look for Lachlan Giles stuff because he puts stuff across in a way that really clicks for me. Whereas I find stuff by Danaher to be excellent and informative but too tedious by half.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll also say Giles is excellent. Danaher becomes possible to listen to if you run it at 1.5x speed.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Danaher's stuff is absolutely top shelf. But it's boring as hell and very dense, which might be a turn off for most people, and certainly new people.

Leglocks from down under is good, as there are definitely some beginner concepts he puts out which help to get you into the footlock mindset.

Lachlan Giles is a good instructor, judging from his YouTube content.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Danaher becomes possible to listen to if you run it at 1.5x speed.

This.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Giles has so many of the more memorable competition appearances. The ADCC where he got knocked out in the first bout of his weight class to the eventual winner and then goes on to fight out of his mind in the open weight division was crazy. That 5 on 5 winner stays on comp where he went out first and destroyed all five of the other team in sequence was another.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Danaher's stuff is absolutely top shelf. But it's boring as hell and very dense, which might be a turn off for most people, and certainly new people.

Danaher's stuff isn't that dense though, it just seems like it is from how he talks. He offers maybe 25% more details than other instructors, but he uses 3 times as many words to do it, plus he speaks slowly. In terms of useful content per minute his DVDs are not very dense at all.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
A couple years ago one of my instructors showed what I think is essentially the Danaher straight jacket back control, systematically trapping each arm leaving the neck defenseless. Today confirmed to me that that sequence is one of the most useful I've ever learned. Every time I end up on someone's back I say a little mental thanks to that guy (my instructor) because I know I'm at least going to get to attack this person's bare neck, and probably finish with either the RNC or the one-hand RNC, which I prefer, or the bow and arrow. The feeling of increasing control as you trap each arm, first with your hand then with the top leg, then having their neck completely defenseless, is awesome. It was always so frustrating to get to the best control position only to handfight for the rest of the round or lose the position because I couldn't make anything happen. Now I get that poo poo done.

I still need to sharpen up my finishing bits, without the gi some of the guys are giving me enough trouble with their chins that I eventually give up the position. I usually use the sharp knuckle under the jaw to get started under their chin, but at some point they whip their heads back towards me before I can close off my lower forearm and end up re-hiding their chin in my elbow space. I always tell people that one of my favorite bjj sayings is "everything above the neck is neck" and that's a bullshit defense but when presented with the opportunity to show them why, I'm usually too polite to squeeze their jaw. Can the over-the-jaw RNC be done without feeling like you're breaking their mandible? In the gi? forget about it. It's dead easy to grab that far lapel and for whatever reason I'm more than OK with wrapping it across their face and slowly attempting to twist their head off with the B & A.

So if you don't already know that sequence, and are looking for something to drill at open mat, highly suggest it super useful.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Khabib graciously teaches us to smesh

https://youtu.be/ma1Y9ZnY69g

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

ihop posted:

A couple years ago one of my instructors showed what I think is essentially the Danaher straight jacket back control, systematically trapping each arm leaving the neck defenseless. Today confirmed to me that that sequence is one of the most useful I've ever learned. Every time I end up on someone's back I say a little mental thanks to that guy (my instructor) because I know I'm at least going to get to attack this person's bare neck, and probably finish with either the RNC or the one-hand RNC, which I prefer, or the bow and arrow. The feeling of increasing control as you trap each arm, first with your hand then with the top leg, then having their neck completely defenseless, is awesome. It was always so frustrating to get to the best control position only to handfight for the rest of the round or lose the position because I couldn't make anything happen. Now I get that poo poo done.

I still need to sharpen up my finishing bits, without the gi some of the guys are giving me enough trouble with their chins that I eventually give up the position. I usually use the sharp knuckle under the jaw to get started under their chin, but at some point they whip their heads back towards me before I can close off my lower forearm and end up re-hiding their chin in my elbow space. I always tell people that one of my favorite bjj sayings is "everything above the neck is neck" and that's a bullshit defense but when presented with the opportunity to show them why, I'm usually too polite to squeeze their jaw. Can the over-the-jaw RNC be done without feeling like you're breaking their mandible? In the gi? forget about it. It's dead easy to grab that far lapel and for whatever reason I'm more than OK with wrapping it across their face and slowly attempting to twist their head off with the B & A.

So if you don't already know that sequence, and are looking for something to drill at open mat, highly suggest it super useful.

I saw this little trick recently: (4:53 if it doesn't embed correctly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9nSdjBBpg

I played around with it a bit and came up with a slightly nicer version, though it does require your other arm--wrap your other arm around the top of their head so that the crook of your elbow is on the other guy's forehead and use that to open them up like a Pez dispenser. You can get some serous leverage and friction with it, even in no-gi when everyone is sweaty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Brian Glick's youtube content. He explains things well and his videos are succinct.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Waroduce posted:

one of my friends is thinking about starting BJJ (not in my city) and he wants to know about starting. do we have a thread recommended video for "beginners bjj" butterflys or what to know? idk.

I don't wanna just be like, lol it loving sucks for a while and eventually you'll love it.

I like the bjj university book as well.

BJJ Fanatics has a decent babby's first Jiujutsu video here:

https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/for-beginners/products/introduction-to-bjj-by-bernardo-faria

Bernardo's fundamentals of bjj video is also really good. The site is kinda lame though. Lots of scripts loaded, mostly marketing trackers I think, and they'll spam you plenty after you make a purchase. The content is worth it for me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Question: is the toe hold a counter to people trying to sweep you de la Riva into a barimbolo? I've used it on multiple skill levels from purple to black and haven't had people counter it, on brown and black belts I get a tap and purple belts I just hold it until they tire of trying to scoot for my back and reset to guard.

The black belt I'm training under contends that the toe hold is not a counter because you can just continually shift to grab the persons back to complete the bolo and there's not enough leverage to complete the toe hold. Am I just against people who just are really bad at the bolo with weak ankles or is my instructors blind spot towards feetsies just showing up again?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Fun times in the gi. This doesnt look that bad, but it hurts and is annoying as gently caress.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Got shin locked last night holy gently caress it was by far the worst thing I’ve experienced on the mats.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

butros posted:

Got shin locked last night holy gently caress it was by far the worst thing I’ve experienced on the mats.

From what position?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Fun times in the gi. This doesnt look that bad, but it hurts and is annoying as gently caress.

Saw this first thing when I woke up and thought you posted :dong:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

Saw this first thing when I woke up and thought you posted :dong:

give our boy a lil more credit

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

butros posted:

What even is a shin lock?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

butros posted:

:q:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
is a shin lock like a calf slicer? is a texas cloverleaf a shin lock?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A shinlock is putting your shinbone on theirs and pulling up on their foot so as to break their shinbone in half

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If...if you aren't joking, how does one ensure this game of shin brinksmanship does not break into two half-shins one's own shin? :ohdear:

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A shinlock is putting your shinbone on theirs and pulling up on their foot so as to break their shinbone in half

I've always heard this as a shin pin but, hey, if the shin isn't going anywhere, I suppose it's locked up.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

If...if you aren't joking, how does one ensure this game of shin brinksmanship does not break into two half-shins one's own shin? :ohdear:

milk

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Positioning and leverage -- you're putting the strong and sharp part of your shin into the softer inside part of theirs where there are a lot of nerve endings. It's also kind of a one-handed toehold at the same time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://youtu.be/MVhJRHQDsyE

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

This one's cool but it really only works for big guys.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

I got bit! Albeit through a mask

I had a gentleman in a head and arm choke and as an escape he chose to bite his way out, fair play to him it worked but biting? In these times?

I was completely taken aback!

Then I went home and my Achilles was bitten by a dog!

I must have a decent flavour profile

I know this is from a few days ago but are you really rolling with masks? Is there a point to it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mursupitsku posted:

I know this is from a few days ago but are you really rolling with masks? Is there a point to it?

In some places it's the law that recreational/sports/fitness facilities need to enforce mask mandates. From a public health standpoint, any measure is better than no measure.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

In some places it's the law that recreational/sports/fitness facilities need to enforce mask mandates. From a public health standpoint, any measure is better than no measure.

Ehhhh it's better than nothing except that enforcing clearly absurd rules can innure people to rules generally, including measures that are much more effective/urgent.

Edit: so this doesn't get totally off topic and back into covid land, I'll be teaching my first class ever this week. I have a lesson plan written up which I'm going to show to the instructor. I'm a bit nervous, but our club is super chill so I know it will be fine. Really looking forward to it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

Question: is the toe hold a counter to people trying to sweep you de la Riva into a barimbolo? I've used it on multiple skill levels from purple to black and haven't had people counter it, on brown and black belts I get a tap and purple belts I just hold it until they tire of trying to scoot for my back and reset to guard.

The black belt I'm training under contends that the toe hold is not a counter because you can just continually shift to grab the persons back to complete the bolo and there's not enough leverage to complete the toe hold. Am I just against people who just are really bad at the bolo with weak ankles or is my instructors blind spot towards feetsies just showing up again?

The toehold is my go-to response to DLR if the bottom guy doesn't have a sleeve grip. It does turn it into a bit of a race, and you'll be at a disadvantage if the bottom guy has longer limbs than you or is just really aggressive about back takes. It's also a little bit tougher to finish in the gi 'cause he can just grab the back of your collar and pull you out of position while you're trying to finish.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So, last week I thought I cut my chin when someone lifted their head up hard and it slammed into my chin. I ignored it because he was like 'oh you aren't bleeding', and I have a beard so I didn't see anything. I noticed it was tingling, but I guess I just assumed it was a cut and it was healing. Today, I looked under my beard. I def got cut, and it def got infected, and it's OOOZING. Is this neosporin or urgent care ?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

gay for gacha posted:

So, last week I thought I cut my chin when someone lifted their head up hard and it slammed into my chin. I ignored it because he was like 'oh you aren't bleeding', and I have a beard so I didn't see anything. I noticed it was tingling, but I guess I just assumed it was a cut and it was healing. Today, I looked under my beard. I def got cut, and it def got infected, and it's OOOZING. Is this neosporin or urgent care ?

Definitely go to a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

L0cke17 posted:

Definitely go to a doctor.

this. nobody likes mrsa.