Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

So, uh, why are "tool chests" so expensive? Is there some secret to storing my growing collection of hand tools that isn't "throw them in a box and hope you can ever find them again"? Otherwise I'm looking at Harbor Freight's tool chests because they seem way cheaper than other offerings, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend to store wrenches and pliers and screwdrivers.

Tools chests are one of those "buy it once, own it for life" items and are therefore priced accordingly.

Harbor Freight's offerings are a great value, you can't go wrong with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Tools chests are one of those "buy it once, own it for life" items and are therefore priced accordingly.

Good ones are also made out of a LOT of metal with high quality drawer slides that will hand the weight of the tools they are used to hold. Then you get into tool truck brands where they cost a million dollars because tool trucks don't actually sell tools and boxes, they sell financing. Stay away from those.

HF does seem to be some of the best value right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are lots of options depending on your needs. I bought a DeWalt black plastic wheeled job site chest and I'm happy with it. I don't use it for tool-related tasks (I actually use it for storing/locking sporting goods), but if I needed a chest for putting some drills saws and smaller tool boxes in together, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

FISHMANPET posted:

So, uh, why are "tool chests" so expensive? Is there some secret to storing my growing collection of hand tools that isn't "throw them in a box and hope you can ever find them again"? Otherwise I'm looking at Harbor Freight's tool chests because they seem way cheaper than other offerings, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend to store wrenches and pliers and screwdrivers.

i have a us general chest and top chest box, and they've been great

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I can't find a cheap enough solution for a tool cart so I'm currently enclosing an old tool stand in roof sheathing and putting casters on it. God I need a place to put my corded MVP woodworking tools. Help me. I'm desperate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

I can't find a cheap enough solution for a tool cart so I'm currently enclosing an old tool stand in roof sheathing and putting casters on it. God I need a place to put my corded MVP woodworking tools. Help me. I'm desperate.

I don't know what your price target might be, but the HF tool carts go on sale at pretty good discounts from time to time and are really great.

I've got the 4 drawer one (https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-4-drawer-tech-cart-black-64818.html) and I'm pretty sure I didn't pay more than $120 for it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
$120 is about $80 too much but aside from staple shop tools everything I buy is used or "needs work".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

I don't know what your price target might be, but the HF tool carts go on sale at pretty good discounts from time to time and are really great.

I've got the 4 drawer one (https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-4-drawer-tech-cart-black-64818.html) and I'm pretty sure I didn't pay more than $120 for it.

Is the product height (39-1/8in) with the lid closed I presume?

I ask because it calls itself a 30in cart but none of the measurements are 30 inches :v:

Hunting for the right combo of tool chest and space in my garage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

I ask because it calls itself a 30in cart but none of the measurements are 30 inches :v:

I think the 30" is the cart itself, the handle adds a couple extra inches to the width

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I think the 30" is the cart itself, the handle adds a couple extra inches to the width

ah ok that would make sense, thanks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The main part of the cart is 30-ish (a little more) wide. With the handle it's almost 34"

And yeah, I get about 39 1/8 with the lid closed.

If you have other specific measurements you need just let me know.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

$120 is about $80 too much but aside from staple shop tools everything I buy is used or "needs work".

They have a 1 drawer service cart for $99 or a plain one for like $40.

Is general poo poo is good $to value. I'm happy with my tool chest I think I got it on sale for like $400 and it's been good.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I have the 44 in tool chest and it’s definitely 42 inches plus a 2 inch handle.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

Then you get into tool truck brands where they cost a million dollars because tool trucks don't actually sell tools and boxes, they sell financing. Stay away from those.

I've wondered about this for a while. These are all franchisees--they have to be absolutely imploding in any market that understands at least one (1) internet, don't they?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
^^^^^ they can avoid the costs of customer facing B&M retail, which is where internet really shines. I could see convenience and business relationships buoying them

Anybody ever use the knock off battery packs from Amazon? I'm on Milwaukee 12V

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 17, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elysium posted:

I have the 44 in tool chest and it’s definitely 42 inches plus a 2 inch handle.

I too have a 44 inch chest. Inhales, holdsand 4 inch love handles haha

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

Good ones are also made out of a LOT of metal with high quality drawer slides that will hand the weight of the tools they are used to hold. Then you get into tool truck brands where they cost a million dollars because tool trucks don't actually sell tools and boxes, they sell financing. Stay away from those.

HF does seem to be some of the best value right now.

Get a HF toolbox. Assemble. If you're missing parts or it's bent or something (or the caster is locked solid), just drop it off on their porch and they'll hand you a new one. Do this at most twice and you'll have a high-quality product. The hassle is the price for you doing their QC.

Once that's done, clean the slides meticulously with good degreaser and put real grease in them. I did the above steps and have gotten a decade out of my lists-for-$100-but-I-paid-$45-with-coupons 3-drawer. Actual use in a real mechanic's shop full of snap-on and mac and matco stuff, with the tool trucks showing up weekly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Once that's done, clean the slides meticulously with good degreaser and put real grease in them.

Always a key step for all HF stuff. The chinese gutter honey they put where the grease is supposed to go is best used as a sacrificial "first fill" to carry away all of the casting/machining swarf they left in whatever you bought from them when you're doing the first degrease.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just got to mess around with my table saw.

Just some regular ripping of scrap wood, getting to know the fence and miter adjustments. Still have all ten fingers and no kickback or any nonsense but god drat they are terrifying. I used the push bar that it came with but does anyone have a push block or bar they recommend? What about those feather things to apply pressure?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just some regular ripping of scrap wood, getting to know the fence and miter adjustments. Still have all ten fingers and no kickback or any nonsense but god drat they are terrifying. I used the push bar that it came with but does anyone have a push block or bar they recommend? What about those feather things to apply pressure?

Making up a feather board is always a great idea and an awesome quick one-board project to dial your table saw in.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I love my grrripper. Makes sure all fingnats are in place and keeps kickbacks at Bay.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's not the cheapest solution out there but I'll throw in another vote for the Grr-ripper. I prefer it over pretty much any other block or stick.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm curious about general thoughts on tool storage? I have mostly power-tool centric woodworking stuff that I'm still trying to organize. I have a lot of freedom in my space, which is an old stick frame detached garage with nothing covering the studs. Some of the studs are moderately twisted because it appears to have been slowly sliding off the slab, and the sill plate looks to be in rough shape in at least one corner, so I'm hesitant to hang anything heavy directly on the studs where the sill plate looks iffy. I have some wire shelves in that corner. I don't think it's about to fall down.

I've got most of one wall free, two maybe six foot by 10 foot spans with a window in the middle that I haven't used up. Is pegboard the go-to? It feels really stupid but I had some repurposed kitchen cupboards back in a much smaller space in the old rental and now I feel at a loss for how to organize my poo poo.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

tater_salad posted:

I love my grrripper. Makes sure all fingnats are in place and keeps kickbacks at Bay.

Also really nice on the router table.

Danhenge posted:

I'm curious about general thoughts on tool storage?
I haven't done it yet so I have no idea if it's a good idea, but I'm going to be putting up French cleats along my walls. One of my walls is over a 12" stone foundation kick-out so there's not much else to do with it but cabinets or French cleats, but I like the idea of some reconfigurability and easy access. I can also put cleats on the side of the under-bench cabinet for temporary/transient usage--bring over the screwdrivers, chisels, etc. and stick them under one side of the bench or whatever. I have no idea what I will actually want, so set up to have all of it.

(Also I'm shooting video in there so having wall-mounted camera/light arms on cleats lets me share them between my recording studio and the wood shop, but that is not your ordinary concern.)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A sheet of plywood is a great way to start. Toss on some brackets, nails, screws or whatever to hold your tools.

Pegboard is nice and clean, but you're a bit more "stuck" with the pegboard stuff you can get. And it's more expensive than a bunch of 10d or whatever nails.

Really depends on your goals. But if these are woodworking tools......a sheet of plywood and make brackets out of wood sounds like a nice project.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

I'm curious about general thoughts on tool storage? I have mostly power-tool centric woodworking stuff that I'm still trying to organize. I have a lot of freedom in my space, which is an old stick frame detached garage with nothing covering the studs. Some of the studs are moderately twisted because it appears to have been slowly sliding off the slab, and the sill plate looks to be in rough shape in at least one corner, so I'm hesitant to hang anything heavy directly on the studs where the sill plate looks iffy. I have some wire shelves in that corner. I don't think it's about to fall down.

I've got most of one wall free, two maybe six foot by 10 foot spans with a window in the middle that I haven't used up. Is pegboard the go-to? It feels really stupid but I had some repurposed kitchen cupboards back in a much smaller space in the old rental and now I feel at a loss for how to organize my poo poo.

Others are going to disagree but the best thing that ever happened to my shop was salvaging some cabinet uppers and lowers and just installing them all over the place. No more dust on my tools and if you walk in stoned it's easily mistaken for an incredibly dusty kitchen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm of the "make a custom wall mount for the tool" camp. It's usually not too hard to rig something up out of large screws/nails or some bits of scrap wood, and it's really satisfying to have a wall where all your tools fit together nicely.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah, that all makes sense. I don't know why it seems so exhausting to me to get started on it! I even have some waste plywood from some weird box that an old renter or something left in the garage that I can use to begin with.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Danhenge posted:

Some of the studs are moderately twisted because it appears to have been slowly sliding off the slab, and the sill plate looks to be in rough shape in at least one corner, so I'm hesitant to hang anything heavy directly on the studs where the sill plate looks iffy. I have some wire shelves in that corner. I don't think it's about to fall down.
How much time would you say you spend in this structure that you don't trust to not fall down under the weight of some tools being hung on a wall?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Slugworth posted:

How much time would you say you spend in this structure that you don't trust to not fall down under the weight of some tools being hung on a wall?

Haha yeah I would try to get that sorted first. Post a couple pictures!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I know there's a decent amount of Philly goons that read this thread.
My neighbor's dad is moving to a 55+ community, he has some old but nice wood working equipment.
A walker turner drill press, unknown make (I can get the info) cabinet saw (pic below) and an old Stanley/Vidmar tool chest.
If anyone's interested I can get you in touch with him.
I'd grab the saw in a heartbeat but it's way too big for my garage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AFewBricksShy posted:

I know there's a decent amount of Philly goons that read this thread.
My neighbor's dad is moving to a 55+ community, he has some old but nice wood working equipment.
A walker turner drill press, unknown make (I can get the info) cabinet saw (pic below) and an old Stanley/Vidmar tool chest.
If anyone's interested I can get you in touch with him.
I'd grab the saw in a heartbeat but it's way too big for my garage.

drat I wish you were nearer to me.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Slugworth posted:

I guess I wouldn't mind hanging tools. I have a lumber rack I was going to put in that corner before i saw the problem, and I figured that was in a different territory than hooks and tools.

I will likely be posting about the garage at some point in the near future, since I want to try and fix the sill plate eventually and maybe try and bring the structure back into true. I have zero experience with jacking & the other stuff that would be necessary to do that so I'll need to proceed cautiously and take a lot of advice. The old plywood + hooks is the most sensible because it's cheap and easy to take down when the time comes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm trying to keep a lot of hand tools in the house because I know I won't be bothered to go all the way out to the detached garage to put them away, but out in the garage, I had a spare Ikea chest of drawers that doesn't fit in the house so I set that up and I'm putting some infrequently used tools in those drawers. Also the previous owners were big fans of the "move cabinets around" so I've got a few cabinets down in the basement that I need to get organized, and maybe someday when we reno the kitchen we can move the existing cabinets out into the garage.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone have a DeWalt battery stop charging? It's a 60v Flexvolt and when I put it on the charger the light flashes once then a second faint flash then nothing. I've tried cleaning the connectors but nothing so far.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

wandler20 posted:

Anyone have a DeWalt battery stop charging? It's a 60v Flexvolt and when I put it on the charger the light flashes once then a second faint flash then nothing. I've tried cleaning the connectors but nothing so far.

I had the same thing with a 20V. I think I just left it in the charger overnight and it fixed itself.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

good jovi posted:

I had the same thing with a 20V. I think I just left it in the charger overnight and it fixed itself.

Because you bought a new one with the fire insurance money?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Vindolanda posted:

Because you bought a new one with the fire insurance money?

:q:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoa, someone on Facebook in my area is selling an Ego 56V 21” self-propelled mower for $220 with batteries and charger. Retail $400. Like-new condition.

I should jump the gently caress all over this, right? Been looking to replace my gas mower. Yard is only 1600 sq ft, so it’ll easily last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah that's a good price with the battery, which should be the 7.5ah one.