Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Got a slump-y jade tree situation that I need some advice on

It developed a pretty significant slant while we were away on vacation for a week. Previously it was pretty equally balanced on all sides of the pot - that farthest limb definitely didn't go as far out and down as it is now. The leaves and stems are still healthy and it doesn't feel squishy anywhere... it just doesn't seem to want to stay upright.

A cursory search seems to indicate that this might be a symptom of root rot? We may have over-watered it before we left so that might be the cause. But before we go all-out and try to re-pot and slice off the rotten roots does anyone have any advice one way or the other? If it is root rot, anybody have a guide they particularly like for first timers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

bradburypancakes posted:

A cursory search seems to indicate that this might be a symptom of root rot? We may have over-watered it before we left so that might be the cause. But before we go all-out and try to re-pot and slice off the rotten roots does anyone have any advice one way or the other? If it is root rot, anybody have a guide they particularly like for first timers?

Root rot isn't going to inherently make it slump unless it's so advanced that the plant no longer has enough root mass to keep itself upright. Generally it's just going to prevent the plant from taking up sufficient water so you'll start seeing signs of water stress. I don't see any obvious indications that it's overly thirsty in the pictures. I'd let it dry out and see what happens for now but keep an eye on it.

Also just FYI as far as keeping it from being slumpy it's a little more complex indoors where there isn't always good airflow/breeze to knock the plant around, but staking plants when you don't really have to (and it doesn't really look like you have to unless it's quite under rooted) is a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. Part of what makes plants grow to support themselves is them getting pushed around so when you stake them you're taking away the pressures that make them stronger.

As far as what to do if it is rotting you basically just depot it, cut off anything that has rot on it with some sterile scissors or a knife or whatever (generally rotten roots will be darker in color and mushy, whereas healthy roots will be lighter and firm), and replant it in new substrate and/or sterilize the existing substrate by baking it or applying 3% hydrogen peroxide as a drench. You may also want to apply hydrogen peroxide to the unaffected roots just to make sure you've gotten rid of the fungi that causes root rot.

Also also, as I mention every time this comes up, it's worth looking into a gritty mix for your succulent(s); there's more info in the third post in the thread.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 9, 2021

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

This is extremely helpful, thank you! I was planning on repotting anyways to swap out to a better succulent substrate, so I'll just check for rot at the same time. I also noticed it seemed to have pulled up from ground a bit so it might literally just be it got too heavy to stay upright hah

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
so does anybody have, like, a fox that I can borrow?

My hatred knows no bounds. Oh for a muse of fire and lapine death

Ultimately it’s *only* some H. limifolia, which I probably paid like no more than $4 for, but these guys were perfect, and they were perfect for years, and now they’re aesthetically borked for like the next half-decade

Gonna go inside, smoke three bowls, and annoy my rabs with too many pats as revenge

Edit: fuckers also tried eating one of my big gasterias. I didn’t even know that was possible.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Edit: fuckers also tried eating one of my big gasterias. I didn’t even know that was possible.

Ouch, dude :ohdear:. Condolences. It's taken me literally 18 months (I checked!) to get a similarly sized bedraggled attenuata that came to me with root rot to just start pushing out the first new leaves. I've never actually seen a haworthia with leaf damage like that; I wonder what it will look like when it calluses over.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

Can I get some rose advice? I planted a couple 3 years ago, and this one has been doing the best:

Thoughts? Should I take the whole big cane out?

Anyone got any other thoughts on this? I've got to make a decision whether to operate or not

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Sorry, Nosre, I have no rose knowledge.

Yoruichi posted:

Help, I think my succulent has fungus. This plant was an impulse buy from a sale table at a garden store. It looked kinda beat up when I got it, but the old leaves are looking worse rather than better. The smallest leaves are new growth, so it doesn't seem to be dying. What should I do?

It's been 6 weeks and this poor succulent still looks like poo poo. I tried spraying it with a copper-based anti-fungal spray, and the white mildewy looking stuff seems to have gone, but it's got new spots on its leaves and just generally looks a bit sick. The damaged leaves in the earlier photos have fallen off. I've been leaving it on a sunny (bearing in mind that it's the middle of winter so there's not a lot of sun to be had) windowsill during the day and moving it inside the curtains at night. Its soil feels pretty dry so I don't think it's waterlogged or anything.

Why does it look so sad??

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Presented without comment

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yoruichi posted:

It's been 6 weeks and this poor succulent still looks like poo poo. I tried spraying it with a copper-based anti-fungal spray, and the white mildewy looking stuff seems to have gone, but it's got new spots on its leaves and just generally looks a bit sick. The damaged leaves in the earlier photos have fallen off. I've been leaving it on a sunny (bearing in mind that it's the middle of winter so there's not a lot of sun to be had) windowsill during the day and moving it inside the curtains at night. Its soil feels pretty dry so I don't think it's waterlogged or anything.

It may just be dormant or growing extremely slowly since it sounds like it's cool and not getting enough light. Often happens with succulents, cacti, and other desert type plants even when we give them the best possible care in that space. So you're not going to see it do much to grow out of the fungus damage, even if you treated said fungus perfectly.

Just spitballing, but if it was mine I'd probably cut it in two. The tops of succs like that (looks like an echeveria?) typically root extremely easily, and the bottom will often put out new growth easily as well. So save the top ~6 healthy-looking leaves, remove all the middle leaves which are fungus damaged (which will give you a decent piece of bare stem to work with) and then repot that in a couple days (to let the wound close over). Maybe spray everything down again while you're at it, why not

If all goes well, eventually you'll have 2!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jestery posted:

That's a wonderful cactus. If it lasts for more than 4 hours, seek medical help.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

It may just be dormant or growing extremely slowly since it sounds like it's cool and not getting enough light. Often happens with succulents, cacti, and other desert type plants even when we give them the best possible care in that space. So you're not going to see it do much to grow out of the fungus damage, even if you treated said fungus perfectly.

A lot of succulents grow and recover rather slowly, even with plenty of light and warmth and so on. It's not going to repair the damage to those leaves so assuming it isn't getting worse you're looking at however long it's going to take for it to grow out enough that it doesn't want them anymore, which is probably at least 6 months even with ideal conditions. I expect it will be quite a bit longer as based on the original photos it's lost quite a few leaves that were originally damaged and it's on the way to losing a few more.

The black on that bottom leaf looks pretty gnarly, too (specifically dead and mushy rather than dessicated). Are the roots healthy?

If you top it you'll have a smaller plant, potentially with less visible damage, though it's going to take even longer to grow as it will need to develop roots from scratch.

If you're not super attached to it you could also replace it with another miscellaneous echeveria that will be a lot less trouble for not very much money.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

show me yours, I’ll show you mine

:wink:

Yoruichi posted:

Sorry, Nosre, I have no rose knowledge.

People have given you good advice so far. To add to it, I’d definitely recommend you get the plant outside for the rest of the summer ASAP. And then probably get it under a light in the fall/winter.

WRT cutting it, I agree that the top floret would make a fine rooting on its own, and you could easily make a ton more propagates from the stem and rooted stump and leaves.

I recently had some success treating rust fungus in some succulents using this spray: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Safe-Brand-Fungicide3-24-fl-oz-Garden-Insect-Killer/4220656

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jestery posted:

The thing I absolutely love about this picture is seeing that someone else is eagerly taking a picture of it for the exact same reason.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
California Carnivores is having a 15% off site wide sale this weekend. https://www.californiacarnivores.com/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I do a ton of propagation at home with cuttings and stuff, and I'd like to pick up some rooting hormone to help the process along. (I don't know why I don't already have some.) Any suggested brands?

On a similar note, are there any good fertilizers specifically (or incidentally) good for plants rooting/growing in water? I usually put cuttings of, say, pothos or inchplant in water until they put out roots, then plant them in soil. Sometimes they stay in there a while: I have a bottle of pothos cuttings growing quite happily in water, waiting for me to get off my rear end and pot them. Is a squirt of Miracle-Gro liquid houseplant fertilizer in the water good/enough to feed them a little, or is there a better product I can toss into my Amazon cart while I'm at it?

Unrelated: I've lost so many of my outdoor plants this year. A combination of too much rain and drastic temperature fluctuations has killed otherwise reliable plants like ornamental oregano (which I adore), annual phlox, torenia... I have to get out there and replace a couple of them (again) to fill in the holes in my planters. :(

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I do a ton of propagation at home with cuttings and stuff, and I'd like to pick up some rooting hormone to help the process along. (I don't know why I don't already have some.) Any suggested brands?

I've found the liquid stuff to work better than the powder form but I haven't tried such a wide variety that that couldn't just be down to the brands. I'm currently using CloneX which seems to work fine.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

On a similar note, are there any good fertilizers specifically (or incidentally) good for plants rooting/growing in water? I usually put cuttings of, say, pothos or inchplant in water until they put out roots, then plant them in soil. Sometimes they stay in there a while: I have a bottle of pothos cuttings growing quite happily in water, waiting for me to get off my rear end and pot them. Is a squirt of Miracle-Gro liquid houseplant fertilizer in the water good/enough to feed them a little, or is there a better product I can toss into my Amazon cart while I'm at it?

I can't speak to any brands of IBA, but I have experience with keeping cuttings going for a long while in water. Handy little thing you can do, if you've got the bits lying around is put an air stone in the water, hooked up to an aquarium air pump. It might not be worth buying just for this purpose, but aerating the water really helps keep the roots from rotting, and cuts down on how often you need to change the water out. I've used aquarium fertilizer, general purpose houseplant liquid fertilizer, and fish bioload at various times for pothos and m. deliciosa. It all seemed to work well.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I received a Thanksgiving cactus at the beginning of May that traveled all the way from Louisiana to Colorado to live with me.

This is my very first time ever caring for a plant, and while it appears to be staying green and healthy, I'm starting to look a little more closely now. Finding a few little holes here and there. Are the roots supposed to look like that? I'm supposed to check the soil for moisture. Let's have a poke...

https://i.imgur.com/tNTeAzS.mp4

:stonk:

...uh oh. What am I dealing with here? Anybody eagle eyed enough to ID these buggers? Mites? Mealybugs? There's no apparent webbing on the leaves. In fact I don't think I ever see a bug on the plant itself.

More pictures included in the album here. How hosed is my new buddy?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the numa numa song posted:

I received a Thanksgiving cactus at the beginning of May that traveled all the way from Louisiana to Colorado to live with me.

This is my very first time ever caring for a plant, and while it appears to be staying green and healthy, I'm starting to look a little more closely now. Finding a few little holes here and there. Are the roots supposed to look like that? I'm supposed to check the soil for moisture. Let's have a poke...

https://i.imgur.com/tNTeAzS.mp4

:stonk:

...uh oh. What am I dealing with here? Anybody eagle eyed enough to ID these buggers? Mites? Mealybugs? There's no apparent webbing on the leaves. In fact I don't think I ever see a bug on the plant itself.

More pictures included in the album here. How hosed is my new buddy?

those look like fungus gnats.

possible solutions:

the multi-cide spray I recommended to the goon with fungus problems previously

a hydrogen peroxide+water rinse

letting the plant go dry for a bit

a repotting + disposal of the top layer of old soil

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just realized I haven't posted any dahlias yet, so here goes!

These last two are interesting because the petals can show different colors on different sides.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think these are just springtails, which are totally harmless. Do they jump when you put your finger near them?

Fungus gnat larvae look similar, but they're confined to the soil and lack antennae. You won't see them crawling over bits of mulch like that. If there are any adults, they'll be black and will fly around the plant when disturbed. Thrips have an early life stage that looks similar (long and white with visible antennae). Mature thrips are black and leave very obvious damage on plants when there's an infestation.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I just realized I haven't posted any dahlias yet, so here goes!

Nice dahlias! I know some people supposedly grow them as annuals but I never seen them up here.

the numa numa song posted:

You should definitely let it dry out, but do keep in mind that while Schlumbergera are cacti, they aren't desert cacti—they grow on the sides of trees and poo poo in the rainforest, so they're used to having regular access to water that doesn't stick around for a long time.

As Fitzy Fitz said they look like they might be springtails or something—I've never seen fungus gnats behave that way. In their white larval form they look more like little worms and by the time they have visible antennae they're much darker as far as I know.

If you're worried about it fungus gnats only lay their eggs right near the top of the soil and then they hatch and fly out. They want a moist, organically rich layer to lay their eggs in so one of the easiest ways I've found to deal with them is to top dress with ~an inch of something like pea gravel or pumice that has no nutrients and won't retain water.

I didn't even recognize you with the new avatar :heysexy:

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 19, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m 90% sure I saw wings on those suckers. But I might be wrong, I was peeping it on my phone, and they might be springtails, in which case congrats. Hope you wanna start a bioactive terrarium for an amphibian or arthropod, or maybe a tropical gecko of some sort

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Last year (my first year here) I decided to put some new gardens in my side yard. There was already one against the house but after removing all of the dreck planted by the prior owner they were all empty. The best picture I have is from a second story window:

I've never had any use for the lawn (and there's a bigger lawn in the back that I also don't have any use for), so I've had a plan for a while to get a path poured in to loop through the side-yard so I could replace all of it with garden which seemed like a good summer project. I finally got someone to come pour it a couple of weeks ago (it turned out to be way too much concrete to do myself), then I built up a raised area out of natural stone in the middle, filled it and the extended bit of the gardens outside of the path, and then mulched and gravelled all of it. Luckily it's been raining for three weeks so I haven't died of heatstroke.

From a more comprehensible angle:

The raised gravel area is amended with coarse sand and gravel and poo poo so I can grow some cacti and other water sensitive plants there, but I'm not sure what I want to put in the rest of the middle yet, never mind how I want to fill out the original beds that have now doubled in size. Open to ideas (zone 6) if anyone has any :allears:. I don't want to put anything in the middle that's so tall it will shade out the bed against the house (I'm facing south in the photos), but it would be nice to get some moderate height in there.

More half-empty garden pictures (I have spread out some things from the original garden that were cramped):

There's not really anything to show in the middle, but I did pop in a dozen or so varieties of little sempervivums for now because the ones I have elsewhere keep getting bullied by various sedums.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 22, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks really great. Some pyramidal trellis things in the center with annual warm-season vines (gloriosa lily? Passionflower? Sweet peas? Gourds???) could be neat in the summer and not shade the other beds.

E: or A Sculpture which may or may not be some junk you find on the side of the road.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks really great. Some pyramidal trellis things in the center with annual warm-season vines (gloriosa lily? Passionflower? Sweet peas? Gourds???) could be neat in the summer and not shade the other beds.

E: or A Sculpture which may or may not be some junk you find on the side of the road.

Vines are an interesting idea. I have a friend that lives in the woods in a very rocky area so I'm hoping to sneak out some big old boulders or something for the middle. I guess any kind of non-twining vine could probably climb rock.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 22, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A fountain in the middle would be really nice too, but maybe not ideal right next to the succulents. A clump of sunflowers with vines growing on them could give some height too?

Did you work up all the dirt in those beds or just where you planted stuff? I've only taken the time/effort/expense to do it in one bed, but I loved knowing I had somewhere to plop any ole plant that came home and not have it living in a pot on the patio for 3 months years while I find a place to put it. I love all your labels too. I wish I had kept better records of what I planted and when.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A fountain in the middle would be really nice too, but maybe not ideal right next to the succulents. A clump of sunflowers with vines growing on them could give some height too?

Did you work up all the dirt in those beds or just where you planted stuff? I've only taken the time/effort/expense to do it in one bed, but I loved knowing I had somewhere to plop any ole plant that came home and not have it living in a pot on the patio for 3 months years while I find a place to put it. I love all your labels too. I wish I had kept better records of what I planted and when.

I seriously need to up my label game before I start forgetting the names of the Japanese maple cultivars I've planted.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I do want to get some perennial sunflowers in somewhere but I haven't seen them locally and haven't found anyone I want to order from that has any yet.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Did you work up all the dirt in those beds or just where you planted stuff? I've only taken the time/effort/expense to do it in one bed, but I loved knowing I had somewhere to plop any ole plant that came home and not have it living in a pot on the patio for 3 months years while I find a place to put it.

The in-ground dry beds (gravel on top) I amended with multiple layers of perlite and sand up to maybe six inches down that has slowly gotten mixed in (as well as the gravel on the top which is also mixing in) but obviously it's harder to fully amend them than the raised dry bed which is just 1 part gravel, 1 part coarse sand, 2 parts perlite, 2 parts loamy soil.

The raised ones with mulch are just certified loam and the in ground mulch ones don't need anything because we luckily have pretty good loamy soil here that really doesn't need any amendment.

I mostly just bring stuff home, drag it around the garden in whatever it came in until I find a spot where it looks nice, and then dig a hole.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love all your labels too. I wish I had kept better records of what I planted and when.
It's never too late to start! I already had a decent number of plants in when I started and though it took a while to catch up it wasn't too bad. At this point there's only one red mark left to taunt me in my spreadsheet for a very small variety of Iris someone gave me that I haven't seen flower yet.

I'm using Decocolor paint markers which have held up pretty well so far (Plant Delights recommends them and I imagine they'd know). Even though I ordered two or three of them the first one is still working fine ~500 labels later. I imagine there's better/cheaper plastic labels than the ones I'm using but they seem fine.

I posted a blank copy of the slightly over complicated spreadsheet I use for tracking plants and where I got them from and etc earlier in the thread if that's any extra motivation:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

I've found the liquid stuff to work better than the powder form but I haven't tried such a wide variety that that couldn't just be down to the brands. I'm currently using CloneX which seems to work fine.
Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up a tiny bottle of CloneX, which isn't cheap, but I understand you need very little per plant and it last years and years, especially in the fridge. I also picked up a whopping 100 of those mesh circles you recommended earlier in the thread for better drainage than a coffee filter, so I'm going to be extremely busy with my plants this weekend! (My houseplants, anyway.)

B33rChiller posted:

I can't speak to any brands of IBA, but I have experience with keeping cuttings going for a long while in water. Handy little thing you can do, if you've got the bits lying around is put an air stone in the water, hooked up to an aquarium air pump. It might not be worth buying just for this purpose, but aerating the water really helps keep the roots from rotting, and cuts down on how often you need to change the water out. I've used aquarium fertilizer, general purpose houseplant liquid fertilizer, and fish bioload at various times for pothos and m. deliciosa. It all seemed to work well.
Ooh, this is very tempting. I don't have an air stone on hand, but I bet I could make a really nice water planting with one sometime down the road. And your mention of fish bioload reminded me that I have liquid "compost tea" from our red wigglers that would probably be a nice addition to any water propagation setups/longer-term water plantings. Thanks!

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

My wife just made a macrame air plant hanger for the master bathroom. The hope is that the steam from the shower keeps them alive. It's too low light in there for anything else we've tried.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sous Videodrome posted:

My wife just made a macrame air plant hanger for the master bathroom. The hope is that the steam from the shower keeps them alive. It's too low light in there for anything else we've tried.

That's really cool and I love it. You can always just spritz them with water too, but if your bathroom likes to hang onto humidity like mine does (even with the fan going), they'll probably be regularly happy.

That's a really good idea and I'm going to steal it for our bathroom.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
That looks rad.

If you want more light-hungry plants in there (or any space) you can always light them on a timer for 4-6 hrs during the daytime while everybody’s at work/out of the house. If you use one with day scheduling or computer/phone control you can even set it to only work on weekdays or what-have-you.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Thanks! I'm enjoying it. It livens up the room

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Had this thread recommended to me from ask/tell. I have two plants that I would like the specific species name of (so I can add them to my Gardenia app). The only thing I know they aren't is sansevieria trifasciata (snake plant). And I don't think the first one is dracaena fragrans, as the striping doesn't match the one I already have of that either, but I'm not certain how much variation it might have.

My confirmed dracaena (which needs dusting):

Nevermind, help from the ask/tell thread seems to have confirmed the first one as another fragrans, and the second one as a fragrans compacta (which Gardenia does not appear to have).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 24, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hi thread, just discovering you. Like many during the pandemic, I got really into sourdoughhouse plants and most recently I've been toying with terrariums. A good third of my desk has been dedicated to this hobby, more if you count my PC even though it's all fake in there.
A tour of my little family:

This is my incredibly leggy philo micans that probably needs to be shifted more in front of my window, but I'm still on the fence how I'll handle that

The hanging buds string of hearts and the spider plant that I under watered and killed off its taps right from the get-go with some water buddies and their marimo moss ball room mates

This is failure corner, attempted open terrarium (thought this drat thing had a door when I bought it) with some dead moss and residents on death's door, trader joes bamboo that I kinda liked the pot, and a jade that used to be a beautiful bonsai until I root rotted it and salvaged a single bud and I'm attempting to regrow.

First terrarium plus some string of pearls

Some beautiful jewel orchids I picked up this week that I'm not 100% on my plans for. Gonna throw one of them in the flip top jar I have with some moss and see how it handles. Might just pot the other solo. Also, lonely marimo moss

Picked up this lovely calathea and rhipsalis today too because I have problems

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sous Videodrome posted:

It's too low light in there for anything else we've tried.

I keep my Dracaena Fragrans in the washroom, with a cool white 100w equivalent led light (no windows), and it might be the best grower I have (probably because I forget to turn the light off a lot). It gets watered once every one or two weeks, depending on how the soil feels.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

The only thing I know they aren't is sansevieria trifasciata (snake plant).

Nothing is Sansevieria trifasciata anymore; Sansevieria is no longer a recognized genus after phylogenetics revealed them all to be Dracaena :ssh:

couldcareless posted:

and a jade that used to be a beautiful bonsai until I root rotted it and salvaged a single bud and I'm attempting to regrow
This is my monthly weekly daily thread reminder that gritty mix makes succulents happy and not dead.

couldcareless posted:

because I have problems

Same. Welcome to the horticulture thread.

I went to Home Depot to try and find a taller plant cage (they didn't have any) and left with this closeout Juniper with a really cool shape (after some pruning) instead somehow.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 25, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Shameless double posting:

Went on a little rock safari with my friend that lives in the middle of nowhere surrounded by an infinite supply of stone. With the addition of some wood scavenged closer to home it's starting to look less like a big old pile of nothing with mulch on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The rockery/stumpery style is my favorite. Stuff some plants into the crevices!