Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I don't know if I'm out of the loop, but I was slavering over the next issue and was able to read 3. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thank u Rak

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Very glad ToG is back, but I hate that I now have to fight the urge to pay for early access again.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-71/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=489

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There was also a previous chapter that never got talked about but it was mostly kind of boring ToG game setup.

What was the content warning for? Severed hands? Admittedly ToG is usually not that bloody I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's weird apparently there are multiple chapters available in other places that aren't even on fast pass for English readers

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not going to complain. If something happens to SIU again we'll have a bit more 'new' chapters until the inevitable hiatus.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope someone gets to kill Yasratcha in a really satisfying way. He's such an rear end in a top hat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Nate RFB posted:

There was also a previous chapter that never got talked about but it was mostly kind of boring ToG game setup.

What was the content warning for? Severed hands? Admittedly ToG is usually not that bloody I guess.

the author of kubera has mentioned having to censor gore, so yes, that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-72/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=490

haha I'm winning oh no tragic backstory I'm hosed

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gotta say this chapter doesn't really do it for me who gives a shitttttttttttttttttttt about these guys, and it spends so much page space talking poo poo about these guys only to reveal at the end that they didnt even want all the poo poo he was getting them!! and I honestly do not really understand the thing with different races in the tower because its like infinitely big so they really could not just go somewhere else? I dunno, seems like not something I need to care about tbh and it was told pretty grossly.
Feel like TOG is at its best lore wise when its talking about weird poo poo like the month series swords or irregulars or different rankers and not so much at its best when its talking about land disputes about people i just learned existed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm game for it if they follow up on it and make it relevant to characters i already care about but less so if we just keep piling poo poo up and never get back to old characters

like my all-time favorite from season 1 was Anaak and i can't remember the last time she even appeared in the comic. or like how Rak is still around but solely as a mascot gimmick and not as part of a rich team dynamic where he was almost as central to the story as Bam and Khun

e: White is a good example of the correct way to do this; he's this remorseless sociopath who was introduced in his own arc, where his selfishness constantly clashed with or was exploited by the established cast and presented problems for them to overcome in ways that reflected their personality. that's great, i love that.

everything turning into a battle manga where a succession of unrelated characters we've never been given a reason to care about fight each other, less so

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 21, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'd probably even like Haratcha if any of this had been delivered organically and not as a huge third-person exposition dump

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think this is going to be turned back to relate to Bam trying to save his master, or maybe to Yama and his people.

I trust that SIU is going to be able to tie this into the larger story.

Also these side fights are being wrapped up very quickly which is perfectly fine by me.

ie: I CAN BLOCK ANYTHING. white: u wot mate?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how ToG will constantly introduce new characters/settings and give them backstories. Kinda reminds me of HxH.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Unless this guy is going to become an important character that backstory dragged on for so long it felt like a parody.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-73/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=491

rip double arts lady

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I don't feel like this is to much of a hot take at this point but rak has become one of my least favorite characters.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Rak loses a lot of his coolness when he's no longer, like, a threat or imposing to anyone. Being big and strong was the fun offset to the silly things he would say, now he's just only silly.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I'm still hung up on an idea that it will be Rak to (theories)ultimately stop Bam from eating everything. He's just as mysterious, and he hunts, and he already said he would!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
i read rak as a sort of a loving/gentle satire of traditional korean masculinity, while tog itself is an extremely queer comic in a culture where that can't be talked about openly.

like bam/androssi has a sort of neo/trinity feel where the character is actually expressing the author's love for his own feminine self

luckily siu is so obsessive about characterization that he just gave an extensive backstory to a character he immediately killed off, so androssi already has more characterization under her belt than trinity got across three films

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 30, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-74/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=492

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh no Yama :ohdear:

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I wonder if the two new characters have a spell power similar to White going on.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-75/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=493

I wonder what the violence warning was for this chapter.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

honestly am interested in what happens next. I did have some trouble following the battle, it became just colors of red and purple

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Cats vs Dogs: The Anime

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-76/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=494

Behold my ruthless power.... sitting a chair and distracting you with cat toys.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I decided to track down scans of the newest chapters that aren't on webtoons for some reason and the translation is so bad lol. I assume it's a machine translation that has had little to no work fixing it up because it's so disjointed

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I was reading those until the Webtoons chapters dropped and it was painful. Just trying to parse what White was saying took all of my effort.

I am so thankful for actual translations

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The chapter that introduced a character that died in the same chapter was truly bad, but the chapters since are picking up nicely and have restored some of my hope for the future of this series.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Ubiquitus posted:

The chapter that introduced a character that died in the same chapter was truly bad, but the chapters since are picking up nicely and have restored some of my hope for the future of this series.

That guy's been around for awhile, it just gave him some background before offing him.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Jose posted:

I decided to track down scans of the newest chapters that aren't on webtoons for some reason and the translation is so bad lol. I assume it's a machine translation that has had little to no work fixing it up because it's so disjointed

I've been reading ahead, it's been too long of a wait. #500!!!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

That guy's been around for awhile, it just gave him some background before offing him.

I didn't do a re-read of the archive before the hiatus ended and a lot of these characters are unknown to me. Gotta say though, it's not just because I didn't do a re-read. Near the end of season 2 I had to read the archive again because there's just so many characters that I keep losing track of who's who.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

:shrug: doesn’t mean we needed or wanted it, and it doesn’t really tell us anything interesting about the tower we didn’t know already. why waste the time on it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I endorse this comic's presentation of dogs being better than cats

edit: One of my dogs acts sort of like a cat, though. One time he killed an armadillo and brought it into the house and dropped it on the floor. I thought that "bringing prey to their humans, presumably as some sort of gift" was a cat thing, but apparently some dogs can do it too.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 21, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The dogs are all extremely loyal generally while the cats are capricious and evil. It's extremely true to life

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-77/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=495

Another sudden tragic backstory -> get chumped chapter but at least it has Hatz doing cool stuff now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nate RFB posted:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-77/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=495

Another sudden tragic backstory -> get chumped chapter but at least it has Hatz doing cool stuff now.

I feel these tragic backstories are to play with the theme of corruption which seems to be the big deal for this story arc. Also how Yasratcha likes to convince people to become the opposite of what they set out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

This backstory was slightly less cringe than the last one.