Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Hololive just had to stop accepting gifts because people were trying to sneak in tracking devices, I don't think the huge step of not posting background info, even it's spoilered, is like a huge ask. As insane as it sounds, these streamers are literally putting their personal safety on the line to entertain us, just don't post the info. Just don't do it. It's just that easy.
Some vtuber is literally going to get murdered eventually, and then we'll say "wow thats pretty hosed up" and go on speculating about whether the dragon girl is actually a guy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

CubeTheory posted:

I had to go back all of four page to find spoilered talk about Pekora's past life and high school stuff

Ok and? It's not like somebody's gonna find the exact schill and use it to find out their personal identities. You're getting mad over nothing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im glad doxxing is allowed and encouraged if it's behind spoiler tags???

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Renzuko posted:

someone posted a mega of it the day it happened...

Or if you'd just prefer the full stream on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7JjPvWlqA

Nice! Thanks!

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

homeless snail posted:

Then why not do like that one post said and have one thread for the doxxers and another one for people that actually like and respect vtubers. Seems like a win/win to me, in my opinion.

I don't like calling people doxxers when the youtube algorithm spent half a year showing us peoples irl identities especially when psychos are sending out like gps trackers and poo poo

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Rubellavator posted:

Nobody is posting that sort of information.

You don't get to be the judge of what sort of information is or should be public, the vtubers do, and they don't want this stuff known or widespread, so don't post it. It's just that easy.

Also, as the loving eye reflection stalker thing showed us, we don't know what kind of information is or isn't helpful to crazy people. What is the benefit here? Why would we take any risk at all?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

I don't like calling people doxxers when the youtube algorithm spent half a year showing us peoples irl identities especially when psychos are sending out like gps trackers and poo poo

maybe dont bring that here though??? youtube also likes recommending videos about why all trans people should die but that also isn't allowed here?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Renzuko posted:

Ironmouse has this discussion every once in a while WRT "original vtuber" and i think she most recently came to the conclusion that it's a fully digital avatar, because folks were saying like, the annoying orange, or Max Headroom, that was one that people suggested to her, but then she looked into him and saw it was all prosthetics and acting like a robot so she shot it down.

First fully digital realtime avatar might be this guy: https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Waldo_C._Graphic

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terminal autist posted:

I'll call them doxxers if they don't keep that poo poo to themselves and insist on talking about it, whether they do so by spoilers or wink-wink nudge-nudge hints or veiled assumptions or with the pithy excuse of "it's an open / poorly-kept secret so it doesn't actually count."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

maybe dont bring that here though??? youtube also likes recommending videos about why all trans people should die but that also isn't allowed here?
Maybe if we put it in spoiler tags...?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

it's not even a blanket thing, tons of vtubers are open about their irl identities. most of atolive is public about who they are. just like, dont dig into the ones that are requesting privacy? just like you shouldnt dig through a posters internet presence to try and find out their irl details

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

You don't get to be the judge of what sort of information is or should be public, the vtubers do, and they don't want this stuff known or widespread, so don't post it. It's just that easy.

A lot of them literally have no choice because their companies forbid them.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Renzuko posted:

Ironmouse has this discussion every once in a while WRT "original vtuber" and i think she most recently came to the conclusion that it's a fully digital avatar, because folks were saying like, the annoying orange, or Max Headroom, that was one that people suggested to her, but then she looked into him and saw it was all prosthetics and acting like a robot so she shot it down.

I mean I joke about Tom Servo but the even in MST3k all you really see during the film portion is silhouettes in the corner of the screen, and it's hilarious to me to think that in many respects, you could probably just do a silhouette of a lot of Vtubers during portions where they game. Even though you couldn't see at that moment the more detailed animations of their faces and stuff, the way in which they move around and express themselves could still largely be understood just through gesture.

Nyanners is particularly good at taking an avatar with a limited amount of actual ability to move and doing a lot with it just because of how she's moving around.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Maybe if we put it in spoiler tags...?

||im gay||

Rubellavator posted:

A lot of them literally have no choice because their companies forbid them.

that doesn't mean you should do it though???? wtf is this take

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Explain to me what I have wrong here:

- Vtubers create tons of free content everyone here loves
- They largely don't want us posting about their past lives or info
- People here do it anyways but spoiler tag it

????

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 20, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Terminal autist posted:

You're right, the Youtube algorithm sucks rear end and tries to doxx them constantly. Which is why literally every other vtuber community on the internet (even 4chan!!) has gone out of their way to respect boundaries so you don't have to worry about that poo poo while communicating with fellow vtuber fans, except for this one!

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

it's not even a blanket thing, tons of vtubers are open about their irl identities. most of atolive is public about who they are. just like, dont dig into the ones that are requesting privacy? just like you shouldnt dig through a posters internet presence to try and find out their irl details

This is the correct policy, giving people coco's other life is fine and trying to triangulate a vtubers ping is weird and creepy.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

There's so much hyperbole in these posts that didn't actually happen. Just post some Nijisanji clips so I can fall into another rabbit hole and we can escape this dumb discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPTnsxDUr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZuZ8W4IOD0

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Explain to me what I have wrong here:

- Vtubers create tons of free content everyone here loves
- They largely don't want us posting about their past lives or info
- People here do it anyways and but spoiler tag it

????

#2 is an assumption and also you're all conflating personal identity information with past lives as entertainers.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Rubellavator posted:

#2 is an assumption and also you're all conflating personal identity information with past lives as entertainers.

This. No one is doxing anyone here. No one is giving out names and addresses. If someone likes a Vtubers music or Art I see Zero issue with pointing them towards their other accounts.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Rubellavator posted:

It's obviously an assumption because I haven't personally seen every single vtubers personal policy on this, which is why I said largely, and something that is impossible to reasonably police for, so the blanket policy should be not posting about it because it protects the ones that don't want it without hurting the ones who don't care.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

The last like 3 things people have taken issue with has in fact not been at all about their past lives as entertainers. Please do not lie.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

This. No one is doxing anyone here. No one is giving out names and addresses. If someone likes a Vtubers music or Art I see Zero issue with pointing them towards their other accounts.

Answer this question: If a vtuber directly says they don't want people posting about their past lives, are you ok with people still posting about it here?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

that doesn't mean you should do it though???? wtf is this take

I think maybe I worded that badly, I agree with you here.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The information of Korone's past life as an entertainer such as: her age

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

CubeTheory posted:

Answer this question: If a vtuber directly says they don't want people posting about their past lives, are you ok with people still posting about it here?

As long as it's in spoiler tags and not something like really personal than I don't mind.

Of course what counts as personal depends on the person. Ages and personal pictures are a no go. But if a Vtuber made a viral video in a past life and you want to share it than go for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

Actually I need to know Korone's age, for personal reasons. no i am not a cum rereg

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kata-Haro posted:

Ok, so while this isn't incorrect, there's a lot more history between PekoMiko, from when they were in school to joining Hololive.

Yes Peko did bully Miko in school, once they were out and doing their own things in the early days of NND, they did eventually become decent friends with a good working relationship between the channels. So much so that I believe they did a yearly livestream from Mikos house every Christmas. Pekora was one of the talents specifically scouted by Cover for Gen 3 along with I believe Rushia. The current theory is that Miko specifically recommended her but there's no way to verify that.

uh wtf is this then

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

As long as it's in spoiler tags and not something like really personal than I don't mind.

It's not about you, it's about the safety of people putting themselves out there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah see this is what I mean by, this thread having zero respect for the people inside the vtubers. If they ask you not to do something, don't do it!!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Well I guess I can't argue with 'gently caress the vtubers wishes, I'm going to do whatever I want'

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Saying “hey this is person X’s old/alt account on twitter” in spoiler tags feels fine so long as it’s just another internet persona, though you can find that elsewhere and it leads to weird conversations so maybe it’s not so innocuous

However, actively trying to find Korone’s age or their names or addresses or whatever is weird and gross

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Saagonsa posted:

Literally nobody talked about Korone's age aside from Takoluka bringing it up as an hypothetical example.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 20, 2021

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

homeless snail posted:

Actually I need to know Korone's age, for personal reasons. no i am not a cum rereg

Ironically I think that was point they were making

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kyte posted:

Literally nobody talked about Korone's age aside from Takoluka bringing it up as an hypothetical example.
Sure sounds like a whole lot of people itt has "literally nobody but..."''d about something or another. Just a couple of bad apples though right?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It depends on the what you find too personal I guess. Speculating on age or where they live is too much imo. But sharing cool things or music and art made in a past life is fine by me.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJkLPnVYILA

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I was curious as to how Zentreya did her text-to-speech so seamlessly so I googled it and of course I found more than I was bargaining for, but I think I'm a bigger Zentreya fan now than I was before.

:siren: Potentially behind the scenes stuff or total bullshit :siren:

From what I saw, Zentreya is the combined effort of a couple on stream, there's a guy and girl behind the avatar and depending on game or circumstance they take turns playing games and operating the 3D model. They use a speech-to-text-to-speech software or the other types the speech while streaming. Zentreya and Nyanners are the only two non hololive vtubers I watch and the amount of effort they all put into stream is amazing.

or like this

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

both that and the peko stuff are definitely in the digging deep for info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I dont mind getting spoiler tags with small notes on what vtubers used to do content-wise before their current gig because I'm curious, but I'm fine if that's not allowed since people can't help themselves with the speculation and digging up of personal information