Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I see there’s a new iOS out and Apple don’t seem to have updated their security info page yet, anyone have any idea if it fixes the Pegasus thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Advanced
Pooping
Threat

please do not dox me in the infosec thread

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if anyone hasn't seen it yet amnesty international's writeup on pegasus is a fascinating read.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
mostly I’m just waiting for the exploit to leak to a ransomware gang

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Volmarias posted:

Advanced
Pooping
Threat

writing a bot rn that searches for and runs powershell statements in a disposable vm when an authorized user mentions it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

enhancing PoC testing for my Twitter on the Shitter time

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

citizenlab poke them every so often as well, always worth keeping an eye on their reports

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Polkit is such a trash heap and I hate that it's integral to privilege escalation.

It requires MozJS which is a 20MB .so file.
After 0.117 it requires MozJS > 60, which means Yocto and Buildroot can't use it.

There has been a pending patch to integrate duktape support for over a year and the maintainers have been downright rude and unresponsive whenever people speak up and say "hey, what's the status of this?"

Ugh.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 20, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Making your desktop security framework thing use js feels like taking a massive amount of piss tbh.

I've written stuff for polkit and ugh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

I see there’s a new iOS out and Apple don’t seem to have updated their security info page yet, anyone have any idea if it fixes the Pegasus thing?

if it does there's a big coverage gap in the pending release for iPadOS because it's still 14.6

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

spankmeister posted:

Microsoft is having a bad month

Jesus gently caress if you’ve updated from 1809 rather that format reinstall at every feature release than you’ve likely got shadow copy user-readable backups of your SAM and SECURITY reg hives. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

also pr*nters continue to be gently caress

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-patches-vulnerable-printer-driver-impacting-millions-of-devices/

quote:

The driver in question, SSPORT.SYS, is automatically installed and activated, whether the model was wireless or cabled. The driver is also loaded automatically by Microsoft's Windows operating system on PC boot.

"This makes the driver a perfect candidate to target since it will always be loaded on the machine even if there is no printer connected," the researchers say.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

1/ We mkdir() a deep directory structure (roughly 1M nested directories) whose total path length exceeds 1GB, we bind-mount it in an unprivileged user namespace, and rmdir() it.

2/ We create a thread that vmalloc()ates a small eBPF program (via BPF_PROG_LOAD), and we block this thread (via userfaultfd or FUSE) after our eBPF program has been validated by the kernel eBPF verifier but before it is JIT-compiled by the kernel.

3/ We open() /proc/self/mountinfo in our unprivileged user namespace and start read()ing the long path of our bind-mounted directory, thereby writing the string "//deleted" to an offset of exactly -2GB-10B below the beginning of a vmalloc()ated buffer.

4/ We arrange for this "//deleted" string to overwrite an instruction of our validated eBPF program (and therefore nullify the security checks of the kernel eBPF verifier) and transform this uncontrolled out-of-bounds write into an information disclosure and into a limited but controlled out-of-bounds write.

5/ We transform this limited out-of-bounds write into an arbitrary read and write of kernel memory by reusing Manfred Paul's beautiful btf and map_push_elem techniques from:

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2020/4/8/cve-2020-8835-linux-kernel-privilege-escalation-via-improper-ebpf-program-verification

:pwn:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

security threat: ants

https://i.imgur.com/9EAyU5R.mp4

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just playing SIM ant

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

:getin:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

What in the world

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MononcQc posted:

just playing SIM ant

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

systemd is, predictably, also involved - including in but not limited to a bypass of one of the mitigations:

quote:

systemd monitors and parses the contents of /proc/self/mountinfo, and passes each mountpoint path to mount_setup_unit(), which passes it to unit_name_from_path(), which passes it to unit_name_path_escape():

------------------------------------------------------------------
1720 static int mount_load_proc_self_mountinfo(Manager *m, bool set_flags) {
….
1727 r = libmount_parse(NULL, NULL, &table, &iter);
….
1731 for (;;) {
….
1735 r = mnt_table_next_fs(table, iter, &fs);
….
1742 path = mnt_fs_get_target(fs);
….
1751 (void) mount_setup_unit(m, device, path, options, fstype, set_flags);
1644 static int mount_setup_unit(
1645 Manager *m,
1646 const char *what,
1647 const char *where,
1648 const char *options,
1649 const char *fstype,
1650 bool set_flags) {
….
1683 r = unit_name_from_path(where, ".mount", &e);
512 int unit_name_from_path(const char *path, const char *suffix, char **ret) {

523 r = unit_name_path_escape(path, &p);
380 int unit_name_path_escape(const char *f, char **ret) {

386 p = strdupa(f);

At line 386, unit_name_path_escape() passes the mountpoint path to strdupa(), which is similar to strdup() but allocates memory on the stack (via alloca()), not in the heap (via malloc()).

As a result, if the total path length of this mountpoint exceeds 8MB (the default RLIMIT_STACK), then systemd crashes with a segmentation fault that also crashes the entire operating system (a kernel panic, because systemd is the “global init”, PID 1).
more information here and the mitigations section here

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 21, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for (;;) {

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i forgot to press the 'disable smilies' button in SALR
orz

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

too late, it’s compiling 💪😤💯

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

watching code compile is one of the most zen things a system operator can do

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can confirm, Gentoo is the most zen.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

generating endless guru meditations is not, in fact, zen

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

watching code compile is one of the most zen things a system operator can do
In that it crashes first generation zen processors, sure.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Antigravitas posted:

Can confirm, Gentoo is the most zen.

I really want a working gentoo system so I can emerge @world when I need to calm down, but installing Gentoo is the opposite of zen. Nez?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I installed Gentoo successfully and now the old laptop I put it on just sits there collecting dust. Has been this way for months since the install was completed. :zen:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I really want a working gentoo system so I can emerge @world when I need to calm down, but installing Gentoo is the opposite of zen. Nez?

start programming either heavily templated c++ or julia, i think they are tied for percentage of time you are just waiting for compilations to finish (though distributed in time very differently).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
just compile mongodb, nodejs, or QT if you want to see things compiling forever.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

just compile mongodb

no self-harm in yospos

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

no self-harm in yospos

Hey now, I never said to run mongodb. I’m not that mean.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it's not mine i'm just compiling it for a friend

this tab a8 is mine, and it hasn't received a security update in a year :(

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

start programming either heavily templated c++ or julia, i think they are tied for percentage of time you are just waiting for compilations to finish (though distributed in time very differently).

make a mistake with boost on an older compiler and it will spend more time spitting out an endless stream of cryptic error lines than it ever would compiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My favorite mongodb story was that a nodejs/react native app was writing data with different types depending on whether you did something on mobile or web and mongodb happily accepted things sometimes being ints and sometimes being strings and maybe even sometimes datetime objects

and javascript was able to read back mixed type data fine anyway because javascript is dogshit.