Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no according the WWF Commentary Team of the time, the Brood were simply men who engaged in the "vampire lifestyle"

they were VtM larpers who also wrestled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I thought it was “gothic” lifestyle, either way, not a vampire.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Alaois posted:

no according the WWF Commentary Team of the time, the Brood were simply men who engaged in the "vampire lifestyle"

Hah this is actually significantly funnier than any of the answers I'd imagined, thank you!

Actual follow up question - has Edge ever referenced said vampire lifestyle in the last 5 years in-character?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's an episode of Art Of Wrestling Pac was on, pre-WWE. He had a very candid conversation with Colt about self doubt and confidence and there's a point where Colt questions how someone as gifted as Pac can have any doubt. I don't think Colt was being lovely, he really didn't understand. Pac was a bit evasive, Colt reads the room, then the episode ends...except not quite. Normally after the interview Colt would plug upcoming dates, instead he does a short explanation saying that after he thought they were done, Pac went and had a shower and gave what they talked about more thought and wanted to talk some more on air, and he explained his self doubt a bit better. It was really interesting.

Gonna go ahead and link the episode because it's really good.

https://youtu.be/WndUnrvbohk

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Hah this is actually significantly funnier than any of the answers I'd imagined, thank you!

Actual follow up question - has Edge ever referenced said vampire lifestyle in the last 5 years in-character?

He mentioned it in his retirement speech I think, calling himself a "pseudo-vampire".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
fangin' & bangin'

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

He mentioned it in his retirement speech I think, calling himself a "pseudo-vampire".

That totally counts. Thank you for answers y'all!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

And later we would have Kevin Thorne, who Cole would also breathlessly tell us was a follower of vampirism.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its funny because even though he didn't start out as a member of the Brood, Edge's original hype packages before he debuted basically just look like White Wolf ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzb9wo-9VIM

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
the blood of Gangrel flows through his veins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSrOVQMW1Ys

...sorry, the "viscous liquid" of Gangrel, I guess, because you can't say "blood" on commentary.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

its funny because even though he didn't start out as a member of the Brood, Edge's original hype packages before he debuted basically just look like White Wolf ads

Well, you can definitely tell Kevin Dunn directed these.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The original set-up of The Brood was that Edge was just a mysterious stranger who wrestled and then Gangrel showed up and was a nudge-wink vampire.
It was implied that perhaps Edge came to WWF to hunt Gangrel because he (Edge) is a vampire hunter, who arrived a few months before the vampire.
Then one day Christian shows up, is revealed to be Edge's brother but also in cahoots with Gangrel, suggesting that this was the source of the feud; that Gangrel the Vampire had either turned Edge's brother Christian into a vampire, or mesmerized him into being his familiar, or ____________.

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Christian, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel. Christian tries to interfere on behalf of Gangrel, Kane kicks both their asses and beats Gangrel, but then Edge comes in and attacks Kane to reunite with his brother. Kane fights all three of them off and they run away. And then they were just blood loving fanged gothic lifestyle aficionados for awhile.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Alaois posted:

These promos got me so loving hyped as a 15/16 year old. Edge just seemed so cool and different and was immediately a new favorite.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They were also doing a pseudo-NIN motif with him for a while. His finisher was The Downward Spiral, and the narration in those hype packages ripped off several lyrics from Mr. Self Destruct.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 22, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
IIRC when Edge debuted in the WWF, he didn't speak on television until the Owen Hart RAW

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Alaois posted:

It's amazing how well this package holds up. This would get me interested in a guy.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Dawgstar posted:

And later we would have Kevin Thorne, who Cole would also breathlessly tell us was a follower of vampirism.

Tazz (I think) would constantly go on about how Thorne would go to "bite" parties. I don't know why I still remember that

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Christian, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel.
loving russo

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Edge & Christian posted:

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Christian, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel.

Fangin' and dopplegangin'.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edge & Christian posted:

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Gangrel, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel. Gangrel tries to interfere on behalf of Gangrel, Gangrel kicks both their asses and beats Gangrel, but then Gangrel comes in and attacks Gangrel to reunite with his brother. Gangrel fights all three of them off and they run away. And then they were just blood loving fanged gothic lifestyle aficionados for awhile.

Gangrel.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Festus was Fake Kane, but apparently Kane was Fake Gangrel this whole time

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
when did people start using the word "bump" to describe the falls you take in a wrestling ring?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

circus clowns used the word as far back as the late 1800s for when they would do a prat fall. i lied about this. i don't know when it started or who done it. can't help meself

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

circus clowns used the word as far back as the late 1800s for when they would do a prat fall. i lied about this. i don't know when it started or who done it. can't help meself

I was willing to believe you

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Being reminded of Bryan talking in his book about how he would make more on the indie scene rather than being a non-pushed guy in the WWE with road expenses still being a thing - and only a thing for the largest wrestling promotion - do we have ballpark estimates of just what the average worker has to pay per year on the road? Like your consistently working midcarder who probably rides with at least one but probably more people?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Custard Undies posted:

Tazz (I think) would constantly go on about how Thorne would go to "bite" parties. I don't know why I still remember that
I love this. He must have been interpreting everything through the lens of, like, the one goth guy he knew in Philly in the 90s.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

The original set-up of The Brood was that Edge was just a mysterious stranger who wrestled and then Gangrel showed up and was a nudge-wink vampire.
It was implied that perhaps Edge came to WWF to hunt Gangrel because he (Edge) is a vampire hunter, who arrived a few months before the vampire.
Then one day Christian shows up, is revealed to be Edge's brother but also in cahoots with Gangrel, suggesting that this was the source of the feud; that Gangrel the Vampire had either turned Edge's brother Christian into a vampire, or mesmerized him into being his familiar, or ____________.

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Christian, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel. Christian tries to interfere on behalf of Gangrel, Kane kicks both their asses and beats Gangrel, but then Edge comes in and attacks Kane to reunite with his brother. Kane fights all three of them off and they run away. And then they were just blood loving fanged gothic lifestyle aficionados for awhile.

IIRC, after this the Brood joined the Ministry of Darkness at one point?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That was definitely a thing. I believe Undertaker betrayed them or threw them to the wolves at some point.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The Brood were the ones who rappelled from the ceiling and dropped the noose down to the Undertaker when he hanged the Big Boss Man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

That was definitely a thing. I believe Undertaker betrayed them or threw them to the wolves at some point.

They had "loyalty tests" where the other Ministry members would beat them up and it culminated in the Ministry wanting to sacrifice Christian (because he was an uggo, I assume) so they attacked the Acolytes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

They had "loyalty tests" where the other Ministry members would beat them up and it culminated in the Ministry wanting to sacrifice Christian (because he was an uggo, I assume) so they attacked the Acolytes.

The rest of the Ministry wanted to kill Christian because Christian was the one who squealed when Ken Shamrock had him in the ankle lock demanding to know where Stephanie was.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

I love this. He must have been interpreting everything through the lens of, like, the one goth guy he knew in Philly in the 90s.

So, Raven?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
raven was grunge.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

karmicknight posted:

raven was grunge.

Yup. I grew up in Seattle in the 90s, and for a time this is just what white dudes at concerts looked like.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Raven dressed grunge but acted goth. There was a lot of overlap at the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

Raven dressed grunge but acted goth. There was a lot of overlap at the time.

You gotta keep 'em separated

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Being reminded of Bryan talking in his book about how he would make more on the indie scene rather than being a non-pushed guy in the WWE with road expenses still being a thing - and only a thing for the largest wrestling promotion - do we have ballpark estimates of just what the average worker has to pay per year on the road? Like your consistently working midcarder who probably rides with at least one but probably more people?
Enough that part of Owen Hart's retirement plan was befriending as many fans as possible to have access to a free car and free place to stay in every city. I think Randy Orton estimated it as $100,000/year once?

davidbix fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 24, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Enough that part of Owen Hart's retirement plan was befriending as many fans as possible to have access to a free car and free place to stay in every city. I think Randy Orton estimated it as $100,000/year once?

Wow. I didn't disbelieve Bryan or anything, but that on top of taxes I can absolutely buy him making more working for anybody else.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't remember who it was, but recently WWE tried to woo someone into signing/re-signing by offering them first class airline privileges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Can't remember who it was, but recently WWE tried to woo someone into signing/re-signing by offering them first class airline privileges.

I hope it was the Blue Meanie.