Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Episode 8

I was actually put off abit because all I know about the show is there is a blue haired girl and a red head girl, and now she exists. Also Asuka killed everyone n that destroyer when she jumped onto it?

Edit: shes killing many people every ship she jumps on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Well at that point in the Eva timeline, it’s better than the alternative.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

quote:

Gendo created the organization called SEELE to help propel this into existence, but after they discover what his plans have become they break their relationship with the mad scientist and order the Japanese Strategic Self Defense Forces (JSSDF) to attack Tokyo-3 and NERV headquarters. SEELE order the JSSDF to kill everyone and everything in sight in order to prevent Gendo from ushering in the Third Impact. SEELE want to initiate the Third Impact their own way that doesn’t align with Gendo’s plans.

just totally backwards. idk it's weird to me to see someone write so many words about something yet get fairly basic things wrong.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I think the author wasted too many words on attributing (often incorrect) motives to characters, etc. While they may have things wrong canonically, their main thesis stands.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the first thing i saw when i opened that article was "EoE replaces episodes 25+26" and then i promptly closed it again :can:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
that's right. in one version of events, she was shot in the back. in another, gendo shot her in the chest.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
i assumed exit wound altho it is a tiny gendo gun

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the first thing i saw when i opened that article was "EoE replaces episodes 25+26" and then i promptly closed it again :can:

that's not what the article is arguing though.

quote:

End of Evangelion is structured as two forty-five minute “replacement” episodes for the previous versions of episodes twenty-five and twenty-six.

The author puts "replacement" in square quotes, to distance herself from that reading, while acknowledging that the structure of the movie has led many people to that interpretation.

At the end of the paragraph she states her thesis very clearly:

quote:

Both of these endings represent two sides of the same coin in what it means to battle depression and both are honest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you're right, my shitpost was uncharitable, i just wanted to make a bad joke about recommended viewing orders

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

God I swear “One Last Kiss” might actually be catchier than Cruel Angel’s Thesis

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Regalingualius posted:

God I swear “One Last Kiss” might actually be catchier than Cruel Angel’s Thesis

Mods?

edit: in all fairness if you took a poll of Eva fans, Utada Hikaru’s outros are probably better loved than the theme. I just personally love how iconic it is.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 15, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Put one of their songs in a trailer for something I care about and I'm like putty in your hands

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i don't care that much about One Last Kiss but gun to head forced to choose between Thesis, Fly Me to the Moon, and Komm, Susser Tod i'm eating a bullet

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chaotic "Everything you've ever dreamed"

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Edit: but completely unironically, because it's a great song.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Did that song ever get used for anything? It's a great song and I'm baffled that it seems to only exist on the soundtrack CDs and not in any of the spin offs, games etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am so excited we have a live original 26 viewer in the thread, and cannot wait to yell CONGRATULATIONS in, oh about 3-4 days tops

---

Personal content: so i ride motorcycles, and one of them is kind of cool

(not mine but almost exactly the same)

and i'm thinking of doing a fanbike thing and doing it up like our best girl's ride

Squint and look at the curves and contours and contrast between the engine/frame and trim panels. Maybe you can see it like I'm seeing it.

There have been a couple Unit 02 conversions on motorcycles that i've found but they're all pure sport bikes, and i think a supermoto is far, far more appropriate.

I am pretty decent with plastidip, vinyl dye, and I already have a decal hookup from a person in georgia that for some reason is cutting Rebuild NERV decals that i loving immediately bought because I wanted them on my truck

I think it'll work. Definite idiot spare time project cross-leaking, but you know what, I have an application in for CO motorcycle vanity plate UNIT 2 (they don't allow zeroes and it's six max, so) and life is best lived when you pour your energy into making stupid, stupid things that make you smile.

I even have a good theory for how i'm going to do to the replacement headlight fairing with 4 LED headlights, because it's gotta be a foureye.

Only problem is going to be finding a new motorcycle helmet with a built in eyepatch because Punished Asuka is Best Asuka.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 17, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Nyeehg posted:

Did that song ever get used for anything? It's a great song and I'm baffled that it seems to only exist on the soundtrack CDs and not in any of the spin offs, games etc

It was in the running for the Komm Susser Todd sequence or the unused "credits scroll sideways like Gunbuster over Eva-01 in space" ending but wasn't used.

Tamashii no Refrain is a great one nobody hears because they skip Rebirth.

Kokoro no Genshi ni Modore is a banger on the Death and Rebirth album that was actually truly intended for nothing, and the version Asuka's VA recorded a decade ago is even better.

e: spoilered in consideration of the virgin viewer

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Awesome!

Please post the finished product, if/when you get to that point, so we can all admire it.

Edit: re: Jonny 290's bike

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/aceCourtBot/status/1414560524533108737?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i am so excited we have a live original 26 viewer in the thread, and cannot wait to yell CONGRATULATIONS in, oh about 3-4 days tops

---

Personal content: so i ride motorcycles, and one of them is kind of cool

(not mine but almost exactly the same)

and i'm thinking of doing a fanbike thing and doing it up like our best girl's ride

Squint and look at the curves and contours and contrast between the engine/frame and trim panels. Maybe you can see it like I'm seeing it.

There have been a couple Unit 02 conversions on motorcycles that i've found but they're all pure sport bikes, and i think a supermoto is far, far more appropriate.

I am pretty decent with plastidip, vinyl dye, and I already have a decal hookup from a person in georgia that for some reason is cutting Rebuild NERV decals that i loving immediately bought because I wanted them on my truck

I think it'll work. Definite idiot spare time project cross-leaking, but you know what, I have an application in for CO motorcycle vanity plate UNIT 2 (they don't allow zeroes and it's six max, so) and life is best lived when you pour your energy into making stupid, stupid things that make you smile.

I even have a good theory for how i'm going to do to the replacement headlight fairing with 4 LED headlights, because it's gotta be a foureye.

Only problem is going to be finding a new motorcycle helmet with a built in eyepatch because Punished Asuka is Best Asuka.

When you finish send a picture to Tiffany Grant and tell us what she says back.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/nature_is_lit/status/1416955981049835524?s=21

Not sure if we should get NERV on the line, or if that would just make things worse.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

NERV: “We can always make it worse”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/gayleviticus/status/1417117758949511173?s=21

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hell yes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ep 9

You two child soldiers failed, the best way to clear you minds and train is to have you live together. Do not let any sexual tensions or hormones distract you.

Ep 10
Why let the children enjoy life before we grind out their souls into paste for some enigmatic objective.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 21, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
after having watched the netflix dub twice in the last year It was kinda weird going back to Spike spencer’s Shinji in rewatching rebuild 1… he sounds slightly whinier?

but by rebuild 2 he’s grown on me again. :shrug:

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I'm doing a first time watch-a-long podcast with a bud. If ya ever wanted to watch the show with animation fans who don't know whats happening, here ya are.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6YnCmTEuhpUhaFmhIggWLb

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaj posted:

Ep 9

You two child soldiers failed, the best way to clear you minds and train is to have you live together. Do not let any sexual tensions or hormones distract you.

Ep 10
Why let the children enjoy life before we grind out their souls into paste for some enigmatic objective.

It's almost like NERV doesn't care for the psychological well-being of its pilots.

I wonder why.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Regalingualius posted:

I think the two are dead even for me right now, which is high praise given how iconic CAT is. I'm sure One Last Kiss just plays over the end credits in the movie, which is a good place to put it and puts it on pretty even ground with CAT in terms of how the song was used in animation, but if they found a good way to use One Last Kiss in the movie itself I think it'll leap out ahead for me. It's one hell of a jam to put with the trailer, that's for sure, and I'm a big Utada fan so that certainly helps.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mac9k5 posted:

I'm doing a first time watch-a-long podcast with a bud. If ya ever wanted to watch the show with animation fans who don't know whats happening, here ya are.

i thought that one of you had watched it before and one hadn't, and now that i realize neither of you have seen it, it's 100x funnier. currently listening to yall dealing with <waves hands> Asuka

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

star eater posted:

after having watched the netflix dub twice in the last year It was kinda weird going back to Spike spencer’s Shinji in rewatching rebuild 1… he sounds slightly whinier?

but by rebuild 2 he’s grown on me again. :shrug:

Speaking of, do we have any word yet on which cast they used for the 3.0+1.0 dub?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hikaru Utada can be piped into my ears anytime anywhere and I will be happy about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Cruel Angel's Thesis has a great "this is all just getting started" vibe to it. One Last Kiss has a great "this is all ending, right loving now" vibe to it. They compliment each other very well.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
The real best Eva song is Angel Attack by a country mile. Nothing else even comes close.

It’s a trip watching Japanese variety shows when they play that (among a handful of other recognizable soundtrack songs) in the background during segments.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i thought that one of you had watched it before and one hadn't, and now that i realize neither of you have seen it, it's 100x funnier. currently listening to yall dealing with <waves hands> Asuka

thanks man, I hope ya dig it. It's a trip to say the least.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fly Ricky posted:

The real best Eva song is Angel Attack by a country mile. Nothing else even comes close.

It’s a trip watching Japanese variety shows when they play that (among a handful of other recognizable soundtrack songs) in the background during segments.

Weird way to spell Decisive Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Mac9k5 posted:

https://open.spotify.com/show/6YnCmTEuhpUhaFmhIggWLb

Thanks for these. I live for the suffering of others. :D

[edit]
"is there a liquid we can breath in?"

Yup! It was even used in the film The Abyss

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 22, 2021