Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Beginner question. This quarter round is installed to begin with by a nail gun right? One of the nails missed the baseboard so this popped out.

To fix it, should I pick up brad/finishing nails, hammer it in as deep as I can, cover nail with spackle and paint white?

e: and yes my floors are dusty, working on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you're doing it by hand you'll also need a nail set or punch to get the head below the trim's surface. You can buy nail filler in an applicator tube for your convenience.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
A brad nailer is the way to go. If you don't have an air nailer/brad nailer, then yeah, just finishing nails. You might have an issue with splitting it if you're nailing in manually.

If it starts splitting when you're nailing this page suggests pre-drilling holes for the nails or blunting the point of the nail a bit.

https://www.diychatroom.com/threads/nails-are-cracking-my-quarter-round-trim.130851/

If you give up on nailing entirely you could maybe liquid nails it instead, just wedge it in place with a dumbbell while it sets.

But you'll probably be fine, just give it a shot.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I put in a bunch of shoe molding yesterday. Just used a hammer and nail punch. I chose to sink the finishing nails into the wall rather than floor.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of which, I'm about to construction adhesive a piece of quarter round that's like 1.5" long (a little nub installed at the corner of a dishwasher opening on our kitchen island) because a single brad nail doesn't hold it in place against me kicking it with my big dumb feet.

I would have done this two weeks ago but I bought the tube of adhesive at HD and then proceeded to leave it in my cart in the parking lot.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I'm weighing just dollar store super glueing it to the baseboard at the top, I just think if it ever has to be serviced (e.g. floor covering refinished or changed), it will be annoying for the next person and may crack if they need to break the glue. Thanks guys.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I just gave away my 2008 Viera yesterday. In a win for hoarders everywhere, the new owner took it away in its original box.

I sold my 50" 2009 Samsung Plasma last year for $75. Glad it found a new home.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Super glue is a totally legit option for fiddly bits of trim, just don't glue it to the floor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BonerGhost posted:

The wall between the dining room and master bedroom in my house has only 1.5" inside between the backs of the drywall sheets.

The kitchen wall that was in there when we bought it (not original, I don't think) was also "framed" with 1.5" sticks. People do stupid poo poo to save 3 inches.

May wall is a full 4.5in and the rest of the studs are full, real studs. It's so loving weird. I have long term plans that involve opening this wall at some point, so gonna go exploring.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

armorer posted:

I never expected to sit through a drywall anchor testing video, but that was great.

Strong nutz

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For people looking for TV mounting remember that triangles are a thing - if you put it flat or tilted against the wall that should be fine with those bolts. If it's on any kind of swing arm suddenly you are multiplying the weight by <math>. I have to remind myself when I swing my 50lb TV a foot off the wall it has four long screws set into studs. If you're swinging off the wall you have to get it into studs.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
What's best for cleaning greasy and oily painted wood walls? TSP?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

What's best for cleaning greasy and oily painted wood walls? TSP?

Yeah, TSP is the gold standard in cleaning paint for new paint prep. You can even get away with cleaning paint just to clean it with a lower concentration in a lot of cases, but you should test a spot first.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I used an alternative which was borax diluted in hot water. Only because my wife was nervous about using a lot of tsp in our water system

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Borax: “Mah wife!”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hahaa

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've got TSP-PF right now; trisodium-phosphate phosphate-free. I'm about to tackle the cabinetry, where I'm sure my PO did not even do the most minimal of wipe downs, ever.

I just found a single piece of tape she just... painted over. Not any kind of strong tape, just.. office tape. Barely an inch long. With maybe half a millimeter of paint glopped over it :psyduck:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Saw this in a local site, diy leaf guards for your gutters, a 3" underground drain hose.

Also I saw the sheet metal roof discussion earlier, you know here (Finland and Sweden) it's very common with sheet metal roofs using screws with gaskets on homes. Basically all sheet metal roofs like that have a plastic sheet under incase it starts to leak as a secondary layer, but the roof also has a built in internal gutter, so if it starts to leak in a joint, the water runs down the channel and out into the gutter. I have this system on my roof, we'll have to see how well it holds up.

I don't remember if we had the 40 or 50 year functional/technical warranty on this roof, but it's pretty long, also a purely looks based warrantly but it was like 10-20 years. Will be interesting to see what it really covers if we need to use it,

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, TSP is the gold standard in cleaning paint for new paint prep. You can even get away with cleaning paint just to clean it with a lower concentration in a lot of cases, but you should test a spot first.

I know nothing of TSP. How harsh is it on existing paint?

Our oldest had eczema, so the wall behind what used to be her changing table is covered in a layer of aquaphor that soap/scrubbing does nothing for, and I'm assuming just painting over it as-is is not going to end well at all.

We have matching paint if we need to paint over afterwards, but obviously we'd rather not.

edit: the paint is benjamin moore regal, eggshell I think. So it should be fairly robust, rather than the cheap contractor grade crap we painted over.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 21, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also I saw the sheet metal roof discussion earlier, you know here (Finland and Sweden) it's very common with sheet metal roofs using screws with gaskets on homes. Basically all sheet metal roofs like that have a plastic sheet under incase it starts to leak as a secondary layer, but the roof also has a built in internal gutter, so if it starts to leak in a joint, the water runs down the channel and out into the gutter. I have this system on my roof, we'll have to see how well it holds up.

This is really interesting. I have a steel roof on my garage with exposed fasteners. The PO installed them on the "high" side of the ribs and 20 years later the expansion-contraction cycles had broken the washers free from the surface. Every decent rain made for a slight seepage. It seems it wasn't possible to get a proper tightness on the high side of the ribs without crushing the rib. I see the new install instructions have the fasteners placed in the valleys with an extra fastener just to the side of the connection. Unfortunately there is no drain rib on the metal roofing I see here.

The PO had installed foam blocks at the eaves and completely sealed off the interior of the garage from the gable vents. All of those came out and I installed a proper ridge vent. Zero moisture issues now and no leaks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Saw this in a local site, diy leaf guards for your gutters, a 3" underground drain hose.

Maybe if it only drizzles, but in a downpour this would be useless. It'd just fill up so fast it'd be pouring over the edges.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

soap/scrubbing does nothing for
Have you tried a magic eraser or straight up sandpaper?

I'm sort of amazed at the gunk that a magic eraser with purple power will get off things, just so long as they're things that you're willing to sand a little bit since the erasers are an abrasive.

If you're going to repaint it anyway, I'd just sand or use a scraper to prep it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Have you tried a magic eraser or straight up sandpaper?

I'm sort of amazed at the gunk that a magic eraser with purple power will get off things, just so long as they're things that you're willing to sand a little bit since the erasers are an abrasive.

If you're going to repaint it anyway, I'd just sand or use a scraper to prep it.

When you say things you're willing to sand -- do you mean sand and repaint? Or sand the edges of where you're using the magic eraser to feather the marks?

I'm going to use it to get some minor crap off of my painted walls, but I'm concerned the end result will be more noticeable than just leaving the minor crap there, due to difference in color/sheen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Our oldest had eczema, so the wall behind what used to be her changing table is covered in a layer of aquaphor that soap/scrubbing does nothing for, and I'm assuming just painting over it as-is is not going to end well at all.

We have matching paint if we need to paint over afterwards, but obviously we'd rather not.

edit: the paint is benjamin moore regal, eggshell I think. So it should be fairly robust, rather than the cheap contractor grade crap we painted over.

It often takes the sheen off. You just might get away with it on a goo quality eggshell like that. Anything more matte or cheaper paint an it just doesn't quite look right anymore.

I'd test it somewhere inconspicuous and see how it does. But the aquaphor itself may have already done a number on that paint.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DaveSauce posted:

We've had zero issues using dilute TSP and the paint the previous owner used was absolute garbage.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Inner Light posted:

When you say things you're willing to sand -- do you mean sand and repaint? Or sand the edges of where you're using the magic eraser to feather the marks?

I'm going to use it to get some minor crap off of my painted walls, but I'm concerned the end result will be more noticeable than just leaving the minor crap there, due to difference in color/sheen.
Ah, poo poo, I missed that OP wasn't repainting, just COULD repaint. Magic eraser is almost definitely going to take the sheen off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Aquafor is petrolatum iirc, so you need to use something that will dissolve/emulsify that. Anything you pick is going to likely do a number on the paint solely because it's going to be a bit gnarly. I would expect to need a touch up regardless of what you do.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Comedy option: blow dryer and some towels?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

It often takes the sheen off. You just might get away with it on a goo quality eggshell like that. Anything more matte or cheaper paint an it just doesn't quite look right anymore.

I'd test it somewhere inconspicuous and see how it does. But the aquaphor itself may have already done a number on that paint.

H110Hawk posted:

Aquafor is petrolatum iirc, so you need to use something that will dissolve/emulsify that. Anything you pick is going to likely do a number on the paint solely because it's going to be a bit gnarly. I would expect to need a touch up regardless of what you do.

Yeah, starting to think that repainting is the only option. I mean, obviously I need to clean it up first, so may have to try a few things. I was hoping that I could get away with it, and still might just to see what happens, but since this is my daughter's room it'll be a bit disruptive to move furniture, set up, clean, paint, etc. all while leaving my wife to wrangle two small children.

I mean, part of the reason we bought good paint is because kids. Just didn't expect to have to do anything worse than crayon/marker/whatever.

stealie72 posted:

Comedy option: blow dryer and some towels?

Honestly I started googling earlier and seems like paper towels and an iron aren't unheard of for vasoline/aquaphor. No idea how well it actually works, but the theory is there. Personally I'd rather scrub the poo poo out of it before I apply heat directly to my walls... seems way too easy to cause damage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, starting to think that repainting is the only option. I mean, obviously I need to clean it up first, so may have to try a few things. I was hoping that I could get away with it, and still might just to see what happens, but since this is my daughter's room it'll be a bit disruptive to move furniture, set up, clean, paint, etc. all while leaving my wife to wrangle two small children.

I mean, part of the reason we bought good paint is because kids. Just didn't expect to have to do anything worse than crayon/marker/whatever.

Honestly? I wouldn't worry about it. Clean it with hot water, dish soap, and a vigorous scrub. Or 409ish stuff "with grease cutter" or something. If that doesn't work, hang a poster over it. If it damages the paint hang a poster over it. When your kids are old enough to have a fun slumber party in the other kids room / camp in the living room then deal with repainting it. They don't care.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/galleries/visions-of-the-future Print one of these out and get it cheaply framed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BonoMan posted:

Maybe if it only drizzles, but in a downpour this would be useless. It'd just fill up so fast it'd be pouring over the edges.

I dunno, they're usually prett well perforated and should allow a good flow of water.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I dunno, they're usually prett well perforated and should allow a good flow of water.

Sorry I meant once you add the leaves in there!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Carpet problem / question.

House is less than 20 yrs old, carpet is short kinda tight woven poly/acrylic fiber of some kind, light cream color. We have some model of Bisel carpet wet vacuum device with a rotating brush head, looks like a big vertical vacuum cleaner in design but with a reservoir for catching gross water / soap.

We have a big (110lb) dog that has some allergy issues and we were giving him a new medication for it. This lead to him waking up in the middle of the night and spraying about 2 gallons of diarrhea around our bed.

So we immediately woke up and blotted up what we could and then used the wet vac on it (with the supplied carpet shampoo it came with). This got rid of about 95% of the smell and about 90% of the obvious gross staining of the carpet after working on it for an hour or so last night. There are still some large but now light colored stains in several places where the waste volume was highest. Does the thread have any recommendations for stain removers / techniques for enhanced carpet cleaning / burn the place down and start over etc?

Also, the dog is fine otherwise and feeling better this morning.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Nature's Miracle is pretty effective for poo poo/puke, as long as you get it in before the stain has a chance to set.

If this was recent, you probably still have a chance.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
You could try Folex Carpet Spot Remover. It usually comes in a spray bottle but there are instructions for using it in a carpet cleaner. I think it’s enzyme based (edit: nvm looks like it’s non-ionic surfactant) and seems to work pretty well when my cats puke on carpet. If that doesn’t work then maybe just consider replacing the carpet if it’s twenty years old. Wait til after the dog is done with the medicine/diarrhea issues though.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 22, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I used Oxiclean Carpet Cleaner - Pet Stain, it works good whenever our pup has an accident.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Motronic posted:

38 lbs is no big deal, but see my edit about the kinds of people you need to find to do this work.

You can hang 38 lbs from decent 1/2" drywall if you are careful and use the right anchors and mount. I would use no less than 6 mounting points with 20lb+ molly bolts.

Edit: JFC, the correct search term appear to be "metal expanding hollow wall anchor" Why is all of this poo poo so hard to find?

It's those things.

If something like that works for drywall, it should be just fine for mounting to my lath+plaster+wood panelling walls, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

If something like that works for drywall, it should be just fine for mounting to my lath+plaster+wood panelling walls, right?

Yeah, but you will want to figure out how deep it's going to be from the face of the wall to the back of the lath and get the right size anchors.

Toggle bolts work great if you have good lath, no concerns with overtightening and breaking through sheetrock paper, and you don't have to worry about buying the rights ones for any particular depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

You could try Folex Carpet Spot Remover. It usually comes in a spray bottle but there are instructions for using it in a carpet cleaner. I think it’s enzyme based (edit: nvm looks like it’s non-ionic surfactant) and seems to work pretty well when my cats puke on carpet. If that doesn’t work then maybe just consider replacing the carpet if it’s twenty years old. Wait til after the dog is done with the medicine/diarrhea issues though.

Careful with this stuff, I have never had it not bleach carpet. If light spots are going to be an issue, test a spot and wait a while to see if it bleaches.

There is a branded pet urine cleaner for your carpet washer, it's an enzymatic cleaner iirc. If you haven't used that yet, it might get you the rest of the way there.