Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s $5 to $6, which is a 20% increase but isn’t backbreaking i don’t think

a lot cheaper than a lot of other a la carte journalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm going to stay on for that price, they've done really well lately

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I just went to "cancel" my membership and when I pushed the cancel button they insta offered me a new sub at 21.59 a year so I did that.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm currently on the $1 a month for a year, and I can reliably find a few things a week to read, so when it rolls over, I'll re-up to full price

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s $5 to $6, which is a 20% increase but isn’t backbreaking i don’t think

a lot cheaper than a lot of other a la carte journalism
This, and as someone else said they'll likely offer you a deal the first time you go to cancel.

Also, if you really like what The Athletic offers in terms of journalism $72 for a whole year isn't a bad price if you can afford it. My new local newspaper, the Salt Lake Tribune, went online-only (except Saturday) shortly after I moved here and if you want to sign up for their stuff their miminum prices are $15 for one month or $150 for a year. That, and you hit the paywall after three articles in a month.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Read the Athletic every day so I’m pretty happy to keep supporting

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They started posting a bunch of Football Manager stuff last season, so not surprised they have enough for a proper gaming vertical.

$6 a month for a site that has very good content and only house ads is still a steal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't necessarily read as much of The Athletic content as I used to but their MLB beat writers are pretty much my go-to people for all of their respective teams when I need to know anything, so I'm glad to support them.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
poo poo, I don't find myself reading the athletic as much as I used to so I think this kinda tips me off their boat. Defector's been worth it though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I just went to "cancel" my membership and when I pushed the cancel button they insta offered me a new sub at 21.59 a year so I did that.

I did this too since my free T-Mobile year was coming up and got the same 21.59 deal. That is an easy decision.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Thank you for this.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The combo of Defector and The Athletic is a sweet spot but not one I want to pay full price for both. Thankfully one is much easier to support and the other is desperate for subscriber numbers.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1417659452770107401?s=20

There's a lot of teams that would make a great miniseries, but personally I would love to see a Jon Bois series on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HMS Beagle posted:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1417659452770107401?s=20

There's a lot of teams that would make a great miniseries, but personally I would love to see a Jon Bois series on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

We were talking about it on Discord, and I think he might be doing a larger piece on the Chargers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd love to see the Expos but Chargers would be p. good too.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

We were talking about it on Discord, and I think he might be doing a larger piece on the Chargers

I'll never forget my first year living in San Diego when the Cowboys came to play the Chargers. I expected to see a home crowd. The game, parking lot, and city in general was 90% Cowboy fans. Poor poor Chargers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'll never forget my first year living in San Diego when the Cowboys came to play the Chargers. I expected to see a home crowd. The game, parking lot, and city in general was 90% Cowboy fans. Poor poor Chargers.

I went to a chargers cowboys game when I was living in the area and my section literally had more people in raiders gear than people in chargers gear, it was nuts.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ByKimberleyA/status/1417896710903324672

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1417926652169007109

oh man

ooohhhhhhh man

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Oh no. There are going to be some rough episodes of that thing but I am very excited.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

With the exception of the first Super Bowl season, the Falcons have been unbelievably consistently underwhelming. It doesn't matter if it was a season when they had no talent or in seasons they did. Atlanta has always been worse than they should have been.

Bois could fill seven episodes on just their draft history.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Raiders fans always considered the game in San Diego to be a ninth home game (for what that was worth).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

With the exception of the first Super Bowl season, the Falcons have been unbelievably consistently underwhelming. It doesn't matter if it was a season when they had no talent or in seasons they did. Atlanta has always been worse than they should have been.

Bois could fill seven episodes on just their draft history.

Probably an episode alone for Deion

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I hope they do an episode on Left Eye setting Andre Rison's house on fire.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
As a Falcons fan, nooooooooo. I don't think I'll be able to watch that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CVagts posted:

As a Falcons fan, nooooooooo. I don't think I'll be able to watch that.

Be proud. Plenty of teams across all sports are awful, but how many had a coach make an illegal phone call because he didn't know all his playoffs scenarios, followed by a coach who straight up abandoned them? Sandwiching their quarterback running a dog fighting ring?

And how many franchises brought back Marion Campbell after an initial 6-19 run thinking it'd actually work this time?

Just Atlanta.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 22, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder how much time they'll dedicate to Eugene Robinson

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I wonder how much time they'll dedicate to the running back the Falcons had in the early 80s who was on track for a big bonus for a thousand-year season, went into his last carry of the year with 1,006 yards, promptly fumbled the ball for a loss of seven, and finished with 999.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

I wonder how much time they'll dedicate to the running back the Falcons had in the early 80s who was on track for a big bonus for a thousand-year season, went into his last carry of the year with 1,006 yards, promptly fumbled the ball for a loss of seven, and finished with 999.

Dave Hampton! I don't think it was a bonus, 1000 yards was just really rare back then so they stopped the game, gave him a game ball for being the first falcons back to ever crack 1000 yards, and then almost immediately after that his quarterback slipped handing it off to him and he got crushed for a loss of 6. Then the next year he came into the last game like 80 yards short of 1000 and rushed for like 75 or something like that and came up just short again. Finally the year after that he got it with like 50 seconds left in the last game of the year and they took him out.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 23, 2021

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I think Jon mentioned that as an aside in one of his early videos- I definitely remember hearing about that and I don’t really watch football outside of his videos

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tinaun posted:

I think Jon mentioned that as an aside in one of his early videos- I definitely remember hearing about that and I don’t really watch football outside of his videos

Joe Posnanski wrote about it a couple times too, that's where I know it from.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It’s also popped up in various NFL Films pieces over the years, whether it was follies or weird stories or wherever, which is where I first learned the story.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Bomani Jones has definitely talked about it and every other Falcons lowlight a bunch as well.

Man I can't wait for the Bobby Petrino section

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalli posted:

Yeah, Bomani Jones has definitely talked about it and every other Falcons lowlight a bunch as well.

I encourage Jon to show zero mercy. I'm not even a Falcons fan and that was such a grimy, hosed up thing to do.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Kalli posted:

if they're smart (and there's no bad blood still left from the Banner Society debacle) they'll have brought Jason Kirk in to do his Bobby Petrino Voice

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Context: Montreal drafted a kid that asked not to be drafted in light of his criminal conviction of sharing an explicit photo of a woman without her consent.

https://twitter.com/globekpd/status/1418912691398324226?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That tweet got deleted

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/kayleycheung/status/1419061667850297344?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/1419522663907696643