Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thanks for making me sad about Terry Pratchett again thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

David Gemmell would have been an interesting 40k writer too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Corporal Klemmeth tried to take a drink from his canteen but it grew teeth and bit his lips off. So does he have the Chaos taint, or is he in the clear because the lips came right off? Can we just purge the canteen and the, you know, lip bits?"

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm reading "Men at Arms" by Terry Pratchett and it made me wish he'd written some 40k novels. Doesn't matter what the subject matter is, his take on it would have been entertaining.

I'm like that but with China Mieville.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Adrian Tchaikovsky of 'Children of Time' fame has a Warhammer novel coming out.

https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/status/1417806674740514819

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

FPyat posted:

"Day of Ascension" so Genestealers I guess? I hope so, in "Children of Time" he's already shown himself to be one of the best in the world at getting inside the head of an alien species as they develop through generations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FPyat posted:

Tchaikovsky's work is super good and I am pumped to see what he does with the 40K setting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's rare that I would buy something sight unseen just based on the author name, but this is one of those times.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tchaikovsky's work is super good and I am pumped to see what he does with the 40K setting.

Man i havent heard from the dude since his shadows of the apt series.

Loved that series despite parts of the series being flat.

From what ive garnered i need to check up on his later works?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

boredsatellite posted:

Man i havent heard from the dude since his shadows of the apt series.

Loved that series despite parts of the series being flat.

From what ive garnered i need to check up on his later works?

Children of Time and the sequel, Children of Ruin are fantastic, as is Dogs of War (I haven't read the sequel Bear Head but I assume it's just as good). Cage of Souls is excellent as well.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Well i needed new books to read so neat

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So a new turn based 40k game came out on Steam called Battlesector. Probably the most generic name ever for any wargame ever made. It's like they went to a bar to come up with a name and got so drunk this was what someone wrote on the napkin and somehow the day after was the absolute deadline so they went with it anyways.

The campaign is playing the Blood Angels that are still wrapped up in the Third Tyrannic War. It takes place right after the book Devastation of Baal and ties into it pretty heavily.

Despite the terrible name, the game is actually very very good. It's turn based, but it's the closest we've seen to the actual tabletop, IMO. It looks great, plays great, and it's pretty polished. Yes, it's only Blood Angels and some Sisters of Battle units unlock later on. But they plan on more campaigns from other factions as DLC. I'm only posting here because it does tie into the books and it's not poo poo like 90% of the 40k games.

Here's a random Twitch link video:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1094601261

(Absolutely no idea who this guy is)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 23, 2021

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm halfway through Mortis audiobook and have no idea why Ollianus pius and some friends are being flushed down some sort of time toilet.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Philthy posted:

Despite the terrible name, the game is actually very very good. It's turn based, but it's the closest we've seen to the actual tabletop, IMO. It looks great, plays great, and it's pretty polished. Yes, it's only Blood Angels and some Sisters of Battle units unlock later on. But they plan on more campaigns from other factions as DLC. I'm only posting here because it does tie into the books and it's not poo poo like 90% of the 40k games.

Playing it now can confirm it's fun.

It's basically a much improved Sanctus Reach.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Skirmish mode is fantastic. It's just a straight up point buy and go. Really getting the GOOD tabletop vibe here, it's just so fun.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Lost and the Damned (Siege of Terra 2) book: I know it's supposed to be more serious, but Khârn and Angron hijinks is cracking me up so much. Angron just rampaging killing everyone on his own ship because he's a mindless berserker and Khârn trying to wrangle him with what little mind he has left. The Benny Hill song keeps going into my head and I can't stop it.

Guy Haley, everyone.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Philthy posted:

Lost and the Damned (Siege of Terra 2) book: I know it's supposed to be more serious, but Khârn and Angron hijinks is cracking me up so much. Angron just rampaging killing everyone on his own ship because he's a mindless berserker and Khârn trying to wrangle him with what little mind he has left. The Benny Hill song keeps going into my head and I can't stop it.

Guy Haley, everyone.

Guy loving Haley

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I've finishedd David Annadale's A Dynasty of Monsters, and I believe I like it the most out of all the Black Library books I've read now.

It's partially a romance and partially a very acerbic, if unsubtle, satire. If you've read his other books about vampires, it has a similar style where it is more interested in character relationships and politicking than the gore of battle (although there is much gore and battle), and jumps between many characters and their perspectives on events. It's very tightly plotted and lays the groundwork for strings that all connect to one hell of a finale, and I really recommend it. I especially appreciate it reframing the common vampire allegory of representing the wealthy and powerful into one that charts them as the rage of the downtrodden and betrayed.

Short version: read it if you want to see a lady dance with a six-limbed dragon vampire.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If you read Vulkan Lives then Angron going through the death maze is just a beautiful NG+ run.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Amazon's got Warhawk listed for October 12, is another limited edition planned to be released early or are they finally stopping that awful practice?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just lol the "leader" of the Night Lords landing on Terra.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Philthy posted:

Just lol the "leader" of the Night Lords landing on Terra.

Never heard of him.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I thought they were an autonomous collective

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Finished the Saturnine audiobook and it just owns from beginning to end. Crole's last stand owned, Abaddon's last (tbdtm) stand owned, Fulgrim getting dunked on owned, Oll facing Angron and verbally abusing his deity in an attempt to not poo poo his pants owned. Just all-around amazing work by Jonathan Keeble and Emma Gregory.

Gonna leave a review for it, let's see what other folks thought...

Oh...

:lmao:

/edit:
Eh, it's a year+ old, but let me slap some spoiler tags on that

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Honestly, every time I see a reference to modern or ancient culture in 40k it always feels weird as hell. Like when scholars of ancient history know french or english or whatever. The setting is more than 3 times further ahead in history than all of human recorded history up to this point; why would any vestige of today survive until then through multiple apocalypses and active attempts to erase history?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Preechr posted:

Honestly, every time I see a reference to modern or ancient culture in 40k it always feels weird as hell. Like when scholars of ancient history know french or english or whatever. The setting is more than 3 times further ahead in history than all of human recorded history up to this point; why would any vestige of today survive until then through multiple apocalypses and active attempts to erase history?

They (the authors) are up against it here. Yes, it would make more sense if their cultural references were to the dominant empires of the 20th-30th millenia, and everything in actual (real life) history was an obscure footnote. But that is extremely hard to make up convincingly on the fly. And existing, real world history has resonance with the readers and is there for the taking. As nonsensical as it is, I think hearing them blather on about the ancient philosophers of the gobbledegook empire of 23000-27000 AD would be more tiresome.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Preechr posted:

Nikola Tesla's skull is on Mars as a sacred relic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Somewhere, someone is translating an ancient text about dodgy copper ingots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's fun when there's references to real world stuff but with a weird future spelling or something, but it can feel out of place when poorly done

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm halfway through Mortis audiobook and have no idea why Ollianus pius and some friends are being flushed down some sort of time toilet.

Do you care though? Weird warp poo poo is happening sums it up nicely imo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

How many characters from the Horus heresy (and other places) are gonna get spit out in the current timeline to work with Guilliman? I'm half convinced Gaunt's Ghosts and the crusade hosts are gonna get stuck in the warp while transiting to Terra for a triumph and come out in time to save the day for Abaddons attack.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It’s 999M41 200M42! You know what that means!
*every astartes hero, perpetual and named character from 10000 years of history comes in with everything for a HUGE battle*

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

How many characters from the Horus heresy (and other places) are gonna get spit out in the current timeline to work with Guilliman? I'm half convinced Gaunt's Ghosts and the crusade hosts are gonna get stuck in the warp while transiting to Terra for a triumph and come out in time to save the day for Abaddons attack.

That may have already happened.

During the battle of Cadia, Trayzn brought some Imperial forces he had captured over the years. One of them was a squad of Tanith snipers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s 999M41 200M42! You know what that means!
*every astartes hero, perpetual and named character from 10000 years of history comes in with everything for a HUGE battle*

It's the Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny, of course everyone's invited.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
the best thing is they could totally justify it easily. "Well, it's an event that has a huge resonance in the Warp, so many troopships lost in the warp that haven't already been spit out ended up here. Also, Space Hulks"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Z the IVth posted:

It's the Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny, of course everyone's invited.

If there is no spoof animation/song if it turns into this then you might as well destroy the internet.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Ego-bot posted:

That may have already happened.

During the battle of Cadia, Trayzn brought some Imperial forces he had captured over the years. One of them was a squad of Tanith snipers.

Trazyn was there?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Miguel Prado posted:

Trazyn was there?

Trazyn was like seriously involved with it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yep, Trazyn played a big part.

Basically, he went "oh poo poo if Chaos wins I'm never going to complete some of my collections!" so he rolled up to Cadia with a bunch of pokeballs loaded up with all sorts of Imperial forces thought long since lost to the warp. Tanith snipers, pre-Heresy Space Marines, Inquisitorial entourages, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The idea of Trayzn facing down Abbadon and turning his cap backwards to show how serious things are is :discourse:

Genghis Cohen posted:

They (the authors) are up against it here. Yes, it would make more sense if their cultural references were to the dominant empires of the 20th-30th millenia, and everything in actual (real life) history was an obscure footnote. But that is extremely hard to make up convincingly on the fly. And existing, real world history has resonance with the readers and is there for the taking. As nonsensical as it is, I think hearing them blather on about the ancient philosophers of the gobbledegook empire of 23000-27000 AD would be more tiresome.
That's literally how we got Ravenor though. He was a throwaway line in a Ghosts book.