Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cacator posted:

Aladdin made a billion dollars. Also its lead actor hasn't gotten any notable work since

I remember feeling extremely bad for Dev Patel where only a couple of years after his award winning debut on Slumdog Millionaire (issues with that movie aside) he said in some interview that he was only getting offered roles as either cab drivers or terrorists. And then he did The Last Airbender, clearly because it was the only thing he was offered that WASN’T that. Hopefully Green Knight gives him the boost he needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Now that I have more time

galagazombie posted:

replaced every instance of the word jihad with "crusade".

The book uses both and the movie did not replace the word jihad. If you really want jihad in your trailer I guess I would understand that point but I imagine testing would ruin that and trailers are all about putting butts in seats not making political statements. I'm not saying that's right, just that that's the nature of advertising.

galagazombie posted:

They've made all the costumes super bland

I'm sorry this movie is set 25,000 years from now and you want them to dress like muslims do today?

galagazombie posted:

Muslims in Space is one of the big things that makes the book so unique and interesting so it's disheartening that they apparently threw it all out.

I personally hate straight allegory so I'm going to have to disagree with that. Herbert used Islamic culture and the situation with OPEC at the time as inspiration but created an entirely new society, not just Muslims in Space. Fremen are descendents of Zensunni Wanderers but didn't come from Earth, they migrated from other planets.

galagazombie posted:

Like it would have been the perfect opportunity to get a bunch of actors of Middle Eastern descent some exposure.

The cast seems pretty diverse. A lot goes into casting and I wouldn't have minded at all if someone like Dev Patel was cast in this. For all we knew he had a conflict but to flush the movie because they don't have enough Middle Eastern actors in it seems a bit of a reach.

galagazombie posted:

Like when's the last time you saw a big Blockbuster have an Arab or Iranian etc. actor (whose heritage wasn't hidden by the movie) in a front and center role that wasn't "terrorist leader" or similar?

Rami Malek is in the next Bond

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

Rami Malek is in the next Bond

Probably a bad example since he's extremely playing a terrorist

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Explain the difference between terrorist and international criminal mastermind?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Probably a bad example since he's extremely playing a terrorist

Perhaps in the strictest sense of the word but Malek very specifically only took the part on the condition that he wouldn’t be a religiously driven terrorist. Besides, as much as EON denies it, it’s screamingly obvious that he’s actually playing Dr. No.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

kiimo posted:

The cast seems pretty diverse. A lot goes into casting and I wouldn't have minded at all if someone like Dev Patel was cast in this. For all we knew he had a conflict but to flush the movie because they don't have enough Middle Eastern actors in it seems a bit of a reach.

I think it's worth pointing out that BR2049, a film with a heavily inspired East Asian aesthetic, has no East Asian actors in its cast, while Dune has no Middle Eastern actors in its cast despite the Middle Eastern inspirations behind it. And yet BR has a Palestinian actress and Dune has a Taiwanese actor so it's a little bit of an odd oversight imo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

David Dastmalchian is Iranian, just in case nobody knew that.

Of course he plays a Harkonnen so I'm not sure how much that helps!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
No shade to Javier Bardem, but Stilgar seemed like a role that really could’ve/should’ve gone to a MENA actor (Chani as well). I’m sure he’ll be great because he’s always great, but that seems like a missed opportunity to me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Isn't batista Filipino? (re: br2049 not dune, forgot he is in this as well)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cacator posted:

Aladdin made a billion dollars. Also its lead actor hasn't gotten any notable work since

If you watched the show Reprisal you would understand why. Holy poo poo he is so bad in it. Some of the line reads seem like they are from a high school play

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's rumors he's cast as the live-action version of Ezra from Star Wars Rebels now. That character is super wooden so it'd fit, at least.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Cacator posted:

BR2049, a film with a heavily inspired East Asian aesthetic,

Uhhh…capitalist hellscape is an “East Asian aesthetic” now?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

MLSM posted:

Have you seen the original Blade Runner?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Cacator posted:

Have you seen the original Blade Runner?

We’re discussing BR2049.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's Japanese text all over the city.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

MLSM posted:

edit: There's even a karaoke sign in this picture

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Spermando posted:

There's Japanese text all over the city.

Not just Japanese but also Korean, Chinese, Hindi... The DNA matching machine gizmo even speaks Japanese.
Ridley Scott based LA on Hong Kong and American anxiety over Japan is everywhere in the original film and there's no reason to think that didn't carry over in sequel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cacator posted:

Not just Japanese but also Korean, Chinese, Hindi... The DNA matching machine gizmo even speaks Japanese.
Ridley Scott based LA on Hong Kong and American anxiety over Japan is everywhere in the original film and there's no reason to think that didn't carry over in sequel.

I love that 2049 just runs with the idea that the soviet union is still around, nice retro-future touch

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

DetoxP posted:

edit: There's even a karaoke sign in this picture

Okay I haven’t seen the movie since 2018 or so. I mostly had the orange Vegas in my head. Apologies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cacator posted:

Aladdin made a billion dollars.

For some reason this doesn't stick in my head so I'm always blown away when I read it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Groovelord Neato posted:

For some reason this doesn't stick in my head so I'm always blown away when I read it.

Alice in Wonderland does that to me, but then I remember it kinda coasted off of Avatar's 3D success.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i had entirely forgotten that there was a live remake, it took seeing will smith on a poster i googled up to jog my memory

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i love that 2049 just runs with the retro-future where the soviet union still exists

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Soviet Union is like the biggest albatross hanging around the neck of science fiction. It’s not like other countries where no matter how the government changes or what revolution happens the name stays the same. It’s like if a story constantly talked about the “French Second Empire” instead of “France”. It’s so weird how something that seemed so sure to stick around vanished overnight.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No one ever talks about the Netherlands Antilles. :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

B-Rock452 posted:

If you watched the show Reprisal you would understand why. Holy poo poo he is so bad in it. Some of the line reads seem like they are from a high school play

I thought I was the only one who saw that awful show. He was just terrible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

galagazombie posted:

The Soviet Union is like the biggest albatross hanging around the neck of science fiction. It’s not like other countries where no matter how the government changes or what revolution happens the name stays the same. It’s like if a story constantly talked about the “French Second Empire” instead of “France”. It’s so weird how something that seemed so sure to stick around vanished overnight.

I'm reading a scifi novel right now that takes place in the 2090s, and there's all kinds of material and social changes like CRISPR, AI, gig economy and social media, gender expression, etc. So I can see that as a possible future. But also, the geopolitical situation is almost exactly the same as now. It's pretty much the US, China, and India (Russia isnt mentioned at all iirc, wich tbf is weird), and of course there's an antagonist in the middle east that the US wants to invade.

A hundred years ago, the middle east, america, russia, china, they were very different than they are now. technology, and social mores, everything was extremely different, so why did only some change in the book? tbh It feels like it was written to take place in like the 2030s, but was changed to 2090s at the last moment for some reason

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i love that 2049 just runs with the retro-future where the soviet union still exists

I love that you run with the retro-future where somebody else didn't say this very thing like three posts before you

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

ALFbrot posted:

I love that you run with the retro-future where somebody else didn't say this very thing like three posts before you

Actually, it's the retro-future where the same person said it which makes it a lot funnier

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

don't post late at night folks :negative: edit; or early in the morning, or ever for that matter

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 24, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

don't post late at night folks :negative: edit; or early in the morning, or ever for that matter

Never stop posting and never apologize for your posts

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in the soviet union, retro future you!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I can’t make heads or tails of the dunc trailer but it looks cool

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

Alice in Wonderland does that to me, but then I remember it kinda coasted off of Avatar's 3D success.

Oh yeah that's the other one where I go how the gently caress did that make a bil.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Alice in Wonderland also came at a time when Johnny Depp was still one of the most popular actors on the planet.

Collateral posted:

Explain the difference between terrorist and international criminal mastermind?

One gets tax breaks, the other drone strikes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Matty is so consistently wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNgjVcq4sA

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've already complained about it in GenChat, but that trailer is extremely disappointing. They've completely misunderstood the appeal of the property.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Oh my god this looks so loving stupid :psyboom:

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Didnt realize Telltale were back making games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Even if the music and vibes were right do people really enjoy that fuckin videogame cinema style?? That Spirits Within poo poo barely flew in 2001 when it was supposed to look good.
Guess its a good way to get something out cheap. poo poo looks embarrassing.