Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

pacerhimself posted:

There was probably a minor amount of therapeutic usefulness to it in certain cases, so naturally they latch onto it being THE CURE. They don't understand medicinal efficacy.
It was found to be useful against the virus in cell culture. The problem is that the amount required to work is way more than you can safely and reasonably get into your body. The same can be said for bleach :buddy:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: don't take loving ivermectin
Unless you have some worms you gotta get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

Where did this ivermectin bullshit come from? Bret Weinstein was the first grifter I encountered pushing it, but I'm not sure if he got it from someplace else.

There was a flurry of pre-print studies in April 2020 which reported in vitro success in treating SARS-CoV-2 with ivermectin ..... which of course doesn't mean a loving thing in the real world (you could dump a bucket of bleach on a petri dish of covid particles and show in vitro success in eliminating the virus, and people noted very quickly that the dosage required to have the same effects with ivermectin in vivo would be highly toxic) but scientists the world over kept publishing lovely pre-prints and then social media caught hold of it and then the alt-right media got hold of it and uncritically lauded it just the same as they'd done with hydroxychloroquine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zugzwang posted:

Where did this ivermectin bullshit come from? Bret Weinstein was the first grifter I encountered pushing it, but I'm not sure if he got it from someplace else.

P sure it was one of the first options considered when the panic made everyone go "GIVE US SOMETHING NOW, DOES THIS WORK? NO? MAYBE THIS? WHAT ABOUT CHLORINE IN OUR BLOODGHAAAAHH"

There were some studies, not great results, etc. but along with Hydroxychloroquine there's probably some people interested in offloading it

I mean they're selling "nano particle spray" and cow piss for Covid (in India)...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a flurry of pre-print studies in April 2020 which reported in vitro success in treating SARS-CoV-2 with ivermectin ..... which of course doesn't mean a loving thing in the real world (you could dump a bucket of bleach on a petri dish of covid particles and show in vitro success in eliminating the virus, and people noted very quickly that the dosage required to have the same effects with ivermectin in vivo would be highly toxic) but scientists the world over kept publishing lovely pre-prints and then social media caught hold of it and then the alt-right media got hold of it and uncritically lauded it just the same as they'd done with hydroxychloroquine.

Completely unrelated question : Why is in vitro always italicized?

I did it so I don't unintentionally anger the science gods

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I think it's because it's latin. Lawyers do this poo poo all the time with their latin in briefs and judgments too.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nice link! I'm not surprised somebody studied this phenomenon.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

P sure it was one of the first options considered when the panic made everyone go "GIVE US SOMETHING NOW, DOES THIS WORK? NO? MAYBE THIS? WHAT ABOUT CHLORINE IN OUR BLOODGHAAAAHH"
Substantial amounts of chlorine in your blood will definitely keep you from dying of COVID-19.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1418672288489222148?s=19

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Well, he's got 0 problems now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

azurite posted:

Completely unrelated question : Why is in vitro always italicized?

I did it so I don't unintentionally anger the science gods

A lot of style guides require the writer to italicize non-English words.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

end language protectionism. if I'm using your latin word in an english sentence then it's english now baby

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

end language protectionism. if I'm using your latin word in an english sentence then it's english now baby

IVF should be partially italicized as IVF and I'm super angry no one does this :argh:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Fallom posted:

But, but, you'll decimate the dictionary!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v2.full

quote:

Against symptomatic infection caused by Alpha, vaccine effectiveness with partial vaccination (≥14 days after dose 1) was higher for mRNA-1273 (83%) than BNT162b2 (66%) and ChAdOx1 (64%), and full vaccination (≥7 days after dose 2) increased vaccine effectiveness for BNT162b2 (89%) and mRNA-1273 (92%). Protection against symptomatic infection caused by Beta/Gamma was also higher with partial vaccination for mRNA-1273 (77%) than BNT162b2 (60%) and ChAdOx1 (48%), and full vaccination increased effectiveness for BNT162b2 (84%). Against Delta, vaccine effectiveness after partial vaccination tended to be lower compared to Alpha for mRNA-1273 (72% vs. 83%) and BNT162b2 (56% vs. 66%), but was similar to Alpha for ChAdOx1 (67% vs. 64%). Full vaccination with BNT162b2 increased protection against Delta (87%) to levels comparable to Alpha (89%) and Beta/Gamma (84%).Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization or death caused by all VOCs was generally higher than for symptomatic infection after partial vaccination for all three vaccines.

I dunno what's going on in Israel but their results seem way off of everyone else's.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

code:
t     a     p
h     n     r
o     d     a
u           y
g           e
h           r
t           s
s

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

sharknado slashfic posted:

I dunno what's going on in Israel but their results seem way off of everyone else's.

Are you saying Alex Berenson is....right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fallom posted:

Embrace Trump LANGUAGE and put quotation marks around “random” capitalized things. Small sentence!!

Symptoms are still fading today boys! Still groggy but slept well last night for the first time in days.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yeah there's a bunch of people coming forwards going "Uhhhhh I think this data coming out of Israel might not be that reliable ...."

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-with-restrictions-imminent-serious-covid-cases-in-israel-climb-again-1.10022904

quote:

Notably, the data might be skewed because a significant portion of the coronavirus tests in Israel were conducted in hot spots and among the elderly, while a smaller number of tests was carried out among the young and vaccinated population. One medical expert that is consulting the Health Ministry said that the data is still too distorted to make a reliable assessment of the effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing infection and mild symptoms.

We talked earlier in the thread about how their stat of 60% of serious infections being breakthrough cases which made headlines around the world was from a tiny tiny number of cases and they only had about 18 covid patients in the ICU

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 24, 2021

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Tokyo Drift was good.

I've had unexplained "allergies" since yesterday and luckily I haven't had to leave the house, if they persist tomorrow I think I'd better get tested just in case. Late July is not my allergy season. I've seen several of the delta mild breakthroughs described as "cold or allergy like symptoms".

Tokyo Drift gave us the best character in the series and brought the best director into it too. It's a super fun movie.

I don't even have allergies and despite going through all the poo poo I mentioned earlier this week, I tested negative. That hasn't stopped me from being an absolute snot factory since I came out the other side, so maybe the 'vid in general just fucks you up - that is, if you caught it at some point in the last year and a half or so?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1418936413568081920

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah there's a bunch of people coming forwards going "Uhhhhh I think this data coming out of Israel might not be that reliable ...."

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-with-restrictions-imminent-serious-covid-cases-in-israel-climb-again-1.10022904

We talked earlier in the thread about how their stat of 60% of serious infections being breakthrough cases which made headlines around the world was from a tiny tiny number of cases and they only had about 18 covid patients in the ICU

Oh I must have missed that.

SamBishop posted:

Tokyo Drift gave us the best character in the series and brought the best director into it too. It's a super fun movie.

I don't even have allergies and despite going through all the poo poo I mentioned earlier this week, I tested negative. That hasn't stopped me from being an absolute snot factory since I came out the other side, so maybe the 'vid in general just fucks you up - that is, if you caught it at some point in the last year and a half or so?

I went into it with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

I think it actually is allergies because it seems to be worse ("worse" is still pretty mild) when I wake up and then disappear by the time I go to bed. Just weird.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Stupid because of covid, or stupid with covid?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Israeli studies not matching the US/UK studies is so bizarre to me. Guess I'll keep wearing a mask while the science sorts itself out.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Reading twitter threads is a pain but if you have can you clarify whether they think the covid made them dumb or that dumb people are more likely to have gotten covid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1418943449806557192

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

smoobles posted:

The Israeli studies not matching the US/UK studies is so bizarre to me. Guess I'll keep wearing a mask while the science sorts itself out.

UK second dose schedule has been typically 8-10 weeks or more. Israeli and US 3 weeks.

It would not be surprising that a longer interval produces a longer lasting response.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The thread said that the degree of deficit did indeed correlate with the severity of the covid case, which isn't too surprising. This tweet in particular is both correct and alarming:
https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1418696510712254469?s=20

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When talking long term effects does severity of infection relate more with duration, intensity or both?

I’m vaccinated, was feeling better after only a day of feeling very sick but long term damage scares me.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Nice to know that I'm going to suffer brain damage. A good Saturday.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ArbitraryC posted:

Reading twitter threads is a pain but if you have can you clarify whether they think the covid made them dumb or that dumb people are more likely to have gotten covid.

The former.

The people most likely to get covid in the U.K are care workers, key workers and factory workers so people need to be aware that “dumb people get covid” when talking the UK is ere be eugenics and fascism dragons territory.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

The thread said that the degree of deficit did indeed correlate with the severity of the covid case, which isn't too surprising. This tweet in particular is both correct and alarming:
https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1418696510712254469?s=20

So the worst, most intellectually-challenged parts of this country are, if they survive, going to end up being dumber after all this is over?

I can't believe The Darkest Timeline literally produced The Stupid Virus for Drungo Tpmarmp and he botched it extra-hard so his base is literally going to get even more stupid due to him downplaying how bad it is for them.

Reality is a hell of a thing.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rolo posted:

When talking long term effects does severity of infection relate more with duration, intensity or both?

I’m vaccinated, was feeling better after only a day of feeling very sick but long term damage scares me.
From the thread:

Weasling Weasel posted:

The data in the study reflect averages from different populations. It doesn't necessarily mean that you, personally, will suffer any long-term problems. Hang in there :glomp:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

SamBishop posted:

So the worst, most intellectually-challenged parts of this country are, if they survive, going to end up being dumber after all this is over?

I can't believe The Darkest Timeline literally produced The Stupid Virus for Drungo Tpmarmp and he botched it extra-hard so his base is literally going to get even more stupid due to him downplaying how bad it is for them.

Reality is a hell of a thing.

While we're speculating darkly, perhaps the spermatozoa and fertility damage from covid will stop them from reproducing as well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

If you think my posts are bad, wait until I get Covid

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

The former.

The people most likely to get covid in the U.K are care workers, key workers and factory workers so people need to be aware that “dumb people get covid” when talking the UK is ere be eugenics and fascism dragons territory.

Yeah that’s entirely fair, obvious in retrospect, and while entirely unintentional I feel like an rear end for coming across that way.

My perspective is I live in chud land where lockdown orders were met with people cosplaying private militia with real guns outside of bars and such that were “protesting” Inslee by staying open/not requiring masks and such.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sure seems like it's kinda garbage.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-study-claims-major-drop-in-vaccine-protection-experts-dont-believe-it/

quote:

But as the numbers ignite concern among Israelis, even the government’s top expert adviser on coronavirus questioned their integrity. The approach taken could result in a “horribly skewed” outcome, argued Prof. Ran Balicer, chairman of Israel’s national expert panel on COVID-19.

“Any attempt to deduce severe illness vaccine effectiveness from semi-crude illness rates among the yes or no vaccinated is very, very risky,” he maintained.

[...]

But Paran, a senior physician at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, argued that the problem with them runs deep, and the definition of “serious illness” has become misleading. It is used for patients whose oxygen saturation drops, which was a good indicator pre-vaccination as it signaled deterioration. But for vaccine-protected patients it is often a brief state that doesn’t signal significant deterioration, she said.

“Take a patient who is in my hospital now as an example,” she said. “He is in his 80s and classed as severe, but only because he had a mild drop in saturation. It was something that any other disease would cause, and which we’re treating well with steroids, but he is classed as a serious case.”

Dr. Dvir Aran, an expert in health statistics from the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, said he is concerned the Health Ministry is using “bad research” and allowing it to be presented without context.

“The problems aren’t with the vaccine, they are with the data,” he said, branding as “false” the conclusions in the latest data and other research on how well the vaccine prevents infection.

The research process “skews the results to make the vaccine seem less effective than it is,” he told The Times of Israel.

[...]

Aran said that people who decline to get vaccinated are, in disproportionately high numbers, people who are skeptical about the existence or danger of COVID-19, distrustful of health services, and overall relatively unlikely to get tested.

“We are probably only finding, through testing, a minority of instances when unvaccinated people get the coronavirus — and as the statistics rely on a comparison this makes effectiveness for the vaccinated seem much lower,” Aran said.

When it comes to the latest data on serious illness, Aran said the number of people factored into the calculations is so small that small margins of error can cause a major impact on the bottom line. The research process is not conducive to accurate conclusions, he argues. The overall number of seriously ill in Israel is 63. The slice of the adult population that is unvaccinated is small, and for those over 60, who generate the most troubling statistic, it is tiny.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah that’s entirely fair, obvious in retrospect, and while entirely unintentional I feel like an rear end for coming across that way.

My perspective is I live in chud land where lockdown orders were met with people cosplaying private militia with real guns outside of bars and such that were “protesting” Inslee by staying open/not requiring masks and such.

Yeah, I was being a little blithe and facetious with my comment too, and missed this earlier conversation thread. Apologies for not being sensitive; I know it's really going to gently caress up a lot of good people, and I shouldn't have been an rear end either.

My heart goes out to the people that are getting punished purely for trying to help others. That feels like the kind of extra kick in the balls reality is fond of these days.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

smoobles posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

if you want to crack ping hard watch today's john campbell video from about 7:30 onward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbs4LCgrcY&t=441s

:sickos:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

There's also just the idea that even if the data weren't presented the way it was, the simple fact is that vaccines aren't going to prevent 100% of illness or infection and an older person who got fully vaccinated months ago who was already susceptible to hospitalization isn't going to fare well with a breakthrough case.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Weasling Weasel posted:

If you had test-confirmed COVID and recovered at home it seems like you you would lose about the equivalent of 2-3 IQ points, which is far less than the amount you've already lost by being a member of this forum for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

What exactly is brain fog, how does it feel? Like when you get very little sleep? Because then I’ve had COVID for decades