Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If the release date is November then it's a little concerning to not at least have a teaser out already - there's no other show out right now with the same vibe so if nothing else missed opportunity.

If it's looking more like a December/holiday season release then I guess I can see holding off until around Labor Day but even then I would expect a much more robust rollout for something they're spending this much money on. If I wasn't already a reader of the books I'm not sure I'd know that the show existed.

The analytics and marketing department at Amazon has better information than we do I'm sure so I guess we just have to trust their judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The poster they released today says "November 2021" on it, so..... :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We're all still gonna watch it though, let's be real

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We're all still gonna watch it though, let's be real

The fanbase is no longer used to waiting for things (this is a good thing I'm glad the series was finished and not GRRMd into oblivion)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pleads posted:

The fanbase is no longer used to waiting for things (this is a good thing I'm glad the series was finished and not GRRMd into oblivion)

This so much. One can dislike the Sanderson books, but I don't think anybody would be happier without them. Knowing how the series ends is a big plus, even if the execution of said ending was unfortunately not done by Jordan himself.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I was gutted when I heard he had died, and equally happy when I heard they had someone finishing it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Invalid Validation posted:

You’re way more optimistic than I am about not showing anything with 4 months to go.

it's less optimism and more me working from the angle that amazon is realistically probably handling things in the way they think will influence amazon prime purchases the most

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mat Cauthon posted:

If the release date is November then it's a little concerning to not at least have a teaser out already - there's no other show out right now with the same vibe so if nothing else missed opportunity.

If it's looking more like a December/holiday season release then I guess I can see holding off until around Labor Day but even then I would expect a much more robust rollout for something they're spending this much money on. If I wasn't already a reader of the books I'm not sure I'd know that the show existed.

The analytics and marketing department at Amazon has better information than we do I'm sure so I guess we just have to trust their judgment.

Yeah, this is just how Amazon does marketing for new shows now. They don't want people to get hyped then forget, so they don't start a big push until a few weeks out, then they blitzkrieg all media.

Dragonmount had a good post about it:
"Adam's Wheel of Television: Why We Won't See a Trailer at Comic-Con - TV Show - Dragonmount.com" https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-show/adams-wheel-of-television-why-we-wont-see-a-trailer-at-comic-con-r1193/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i hadn't read anything about it but i was pretty much working off the assumption that they're saving it up for when it would be the most relevant. there's a lot of tv shows and whatever else coming out these days, so why would they dripfeed little bits across an entire year and have people forget them instead of just blasting out their feed when it's close to airing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I made a thread in TVIV if anyone wants to move non-spoiler discussion there:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974396

Could you add a link to the op of this thread to the op of that thread? Just in case someone wants to read =)

Also the cast photo tweets in that OP might be good too in your OP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the suggestions, I added some stuff to that OP.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

On the previous episode of Dragon Wheel Z:
Perrin in the hyperbolic dream sequence: Itsssssssss jussssssssssssssssst

On the next episode of Dragon Wheel Z:
Perrin in the hyperbolic dream sequence: aaaaaaaa weeeeeaaaavvvveeee

pages back, but my friends and I joked that in the downtime between books, Perrin read the series and now gets how all the super natural stuff works.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just imagine how badass he’s be if he wasn’t so weird about being a wolfguy. You’re basically a superhero, dumbass.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Just imagine how badass he’s be if he wasn’t so weird about being a wolfguy. You’re basically a superhero, dumbass.

I mean tbf the other examples of Wolfbrothers he runs into are horrifying basically until the end of the series. They're ostracized or have completely lost the part of them that is a man and have gone full wolf.

Its not hard to see why he's uh not cool with that. Especially before he really gets the rules and mechanics hammered out.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Zore posted:

I mean tbf the other examples of Wolfbrothers he runs into are horrifying basically until the end of the series. They're ostracized or have completely lost the part of them that is a man and have gone full wolf.

Its not hard to see why he's uh not cool with that. Especially before he really gets the rules and mechanics hammered out.

Didn’t he meet only two though? One was an outcast weirdo even before the wolf thing, and then Elyas, who was more or less ok with it all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wallaka posted:

Didn’t he meet only two though? One was an outcast weirdo even before the wolf thing, and then Elyas, who was more or less ok with it all.

He doesn't learn the one guy was an outcast weirdo before he went full wolf, the way the brother originally describes it makes it sound like the wolf stuff overwhelmed him and he just went feral out of nowhere. Its only later he gets full context.

And as for Elyas he's a complete recluse and outlaw who doesn't have any meaningful human relationships. Perrin is not cool with that being his life.

Verin also doesn't help with her 'you'll inevitably go insane and forget you're a man' stuff either

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 25, 2021

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We should spend literally seven thousand pages discussing Perrin seeing that one outcast weirdo, just like Jordan spent literally seven thousand pages telling us about Perrin thinking about that one outcast weirdo.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BigHead posted:

We should spend literally seven thousand pages discussing Perrin seeing that one outcast weirdo, just like Jordan spent literally seven thousand pages telling us about Perrin thinking about that one outcast weirdo.

Aram?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

BigHead posted:

See if there's one character arc I hope the show changes up, it's Perrin's. It's not just that Jordan seemed to run out of ideas about what to do with him after the Battle of Emond's Field, it's that Perrin and his crew get almost entirely kicked out of the overall story for like half the series. All the rest of the main characters at least get to interact with each other....except Perrin. He just gets kicked to the curb along with Faile and Berelain. Hell, even at the Last Battle, he's off by himself without any of the other main characters involved in what he's up to!

The Slog would be a hell of a lot less sloggy if there wasn't like two books of Perrin being mopey and chasing the Shaido to get Faile back.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

See if there's one character arc I hope the show changes up, it's Perrin's. It's not just that Jordan seemed to run out of ideas about what to do with him after the Battle of Emond's Field, it's that Perrin and his crew get almost entirely kicked out of the overall story for like half the series. All the rest of the main characters at least get to interact with each other....except Perrin. He just gets kicked to the curb along with Faile and Berelain. Hell, even at the Last Battle, he's off by himself without any of the other main characters involved in what he's up to!

The Slog would be a hell of a lot less sloggy if there wasn't like two books of Perrin being mopey and chasing the Shaido to get Faile back.

I feel like if you have him wrap up the Shaido in Winters heart, I think he'd be great for Elayne's political story in crossroads of twilight. Have the rival claimants offer to make him king of the 2 rivers or something. Fixes 2 plotlines at once

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like if you have him wrap up the Shaido in Winters heart, I think he'd be great for Elayne's political story in crossroads of twilight. Have the rival claimants offer to make him king of the 2 rivers or something. Fixes 2 plotlines at once

You know, that's not half bad. I'd buy that.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’m on CoT in my reread and it really is boring as hell. Every section I read it’s like “yea, all this description is filler and this could have been addressed in a 2 page recap”.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m on CoT in my reread and it really is boring as hell. Every section I read it’s like “yea, all this description is filler and this could have been addressed in a 2 page recap”.

I posted about it in the TVIV thread, but I never read CoT. I only read the 8 sentence Wikipedia summary and never felt like I was missing any critical information in the following books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I loved how the ebook listing for every single book after like #4 says something like “Rand and his friends draw ever closer to the final battle of Tarmon Gai’don”

Like “idk, words words words $16.99”

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Perrin teleporting across the world, and is basically an X-man

Hopper: "This isn't really about Wolves anymore, is it?"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I'm generally ok with the Perrin storyline slow burn. He's slow, or maybe careful is the better word. All this takes place within 2 years or so, it's insane how fast these kids change. Perrin just takes a little longer to come to terms not only with being a wolfman, but his place as a leader.

faile sucks though, or maybe just the mores of her people make them generally insufferable

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Perrin: “I have the ability to smell exactly what anyone is feeling at any given time, including my mercurial wife”

also Perrin: “I will not actively use this knowledge to my political advantage, except to note how well being honest and buff as hell throws politicians off their game. Being only 18, I will definitely not use my ability to better communicate with my wife.”

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Perrin: “I have the ability to smell exactly what anyone is feeling at any given time, including my mercurial wife”

also Perrin: “I will not actively use this knowledge to my political advantage, except to note how well being honest and buff as hell throws politicians off their game. Being only 18, I will definitely not use my ability to better communicate with my wife.”

The irony is that his being able to read his wife's emotional state is a big reason for everything going wrong with it.

He says something, she feels a flare of jealousy internally but with no outward sign. Perrin says or does something to try and make her feel better, which from the outside actually looks like him doing the opposite and makes Faile angrier because now other people are reading things into his responses.

Perrin responding to invisible cues tends to make them both visible and completely misinterpreted. Throw in some cultural differences and they're just destined for misunderstanding

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I loved how the ebook listing for every single book after like #4 says something like “Rand and his friends draw ever closer to the final battle of Tarmon Gai’don”

Like “idk, words words words $16.99”

That's why I bought a complete collection of all ebooks instead!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Libluini posted:

That's why I bought a complete collection of all ebooks instead!

Honestly I should get around to doing this, which will be the third complete set of the books I own, physical and audio being the other two.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm honestly glad i went out of my way to get a paperback of all the books + the prequel book with the original art on them because i can imagine it'll be hard as hell to find once the show comes out

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I methodically scoured used bookstores for the Tor paperback editions, because those goofy covers are what I first read the series in (when borrowing from a library).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the art is absolutely goofy as poo poo but it's what i mentally associate with the series, and i've always found that weird abstract minimalism that recent editions of books tend to use to be boring as hell. might as well go fully in if you're going to collect a 14 book fantasy series.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Fifteen. You think I'd skip New Spring?

(I mean, I did, when it came out, but not now.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Fifteen. You think I'd skip New Spring?

(I mean, I did, when it came out, but not now.)

I thought it was bad when I first read it, I enjoyed it a lot more this time. The Elyas cameo is still dumb though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How do you expect to sell your paperback fantasy with blister-print title font in the checkout lane if it doesn’t have asymmetrical romance novel characters with weird foreshortening on it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

based on the covers rand is approximately 45 years old

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought it was bad when I first read it, I enjoyed it a lot more this time. The Elyas cameo is still dumb though.

When it came out, I was salty about Crossroads of Twilight being the last book I'd read (and it was out before I found the series, so I'd never had to wait for a book before), and wanted actual plot progression. Hearing that the next book was a prequel, well. Prequels aren't plot progression! So I skipped it, until I revisited the series a decade later to read the entire thing.

Moiraine understands a very important loophole in the Three Oaths: :ese:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vavrek posted:

When it came out, I was salty about Crossroads of Twilight being the last book I'd read (and it was out before I found the series, so I'd never had to wait for a book before), and wanted actual plot progression. Hearing that the next book was a prequel, well. Prequels aren't plot progression! So I skipped it, until I revisited the series a decade later to read the entire thing.

Moiraine understands a very important loophole in the Three Oaths: :ese:

It's been a long time I forget, what's the loophole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Shanking.