Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Does ordinary roundshot even cause explosions if it hits gunpowder? I presume there's a reason you heated it if you were after that sort of effect.

Gunpowder isnt impact sensetive, but a larger shot might cause sparking, cause greater damage that makes gunpowder leak onto a source of ignition, break a covered lamp that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Greggster posted:

Were people fighting differently since the goal was to smash the other persons shield or was it just "go for the kill, the other person will have to deal with it"?

I remember hearing on the Saga Thing podcast that there was a form of dueling where each duelist would have an assistant who would hold the shield. The idea was to whack at each other’s shield until it was dropped or destroyed.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I remember hearing on the Saga Thing podcast that there was a form of dueling where each duelist would have an assistant who would hold the shield. The idea was to whack at each other’s shield until it was dropped or destroyed.

so they invented timbersports

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Greggster posted:

Were people fighting differently since the goal was to smash the other persons shield or was it just "go for the kill, the other person will have to deal with it"?

Yes, they attempted to break the shield rather than injure or kill the opponent, as breaking the rules set for a trial by combat would invite severe penalty itself, often to the tune of outlawry (ie. almost certain death if you couldn't leave the country safely). Killing someone in a non-lethal ruleset would label you honourless, which was more or less a death sentence in many areas.

Scratch Monkey posted:

That you did, I listened to the episode recently - but remember that they go only by the sagas( in this case, Cormacs Saga IIRC), which, for a variety of reasons, aren't reliable historical sources. We don't have this second man in legal codes from the time period.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

feedmegin posted:

Does ordinary roundshot even cause explosions if it hits gunpowder? I presume there's a reason you heated it if you were after that sort of effect.

heated shot is for fires not explosions, usually with the explosion being a secondary result of the fire you have set

heating shot on board a ship or boat in the appropriate era is difficult for all the obvious reasons. well, heating the shot is comparatively easy. not setting your own ship on fire is the hard part.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

heated shot is for fires not explosions, usually with the explosion being a secondary result of the fire you have set

heating shot on board a ship or boat in the appropriate era is difficult for all the obvious reasons. well, heating the shot is comparatively easy. not setting your own ship on fire is the hard part.

We tried to use heated shot, and ended up with fire ships.

:ohdear:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

IIRC, heated shot was mostly used by forts firing at ships. In the Horatio Hornblower stories, they always knew when they were spotted because the smokestacks on the forts would start chugging.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Tias posted:

Yes, they attempted to break the shield rather than injure or kill the opponent, as breaking the rules set for a trial by combat would invite severe penalty itself, often to the tune of outlawry (ie. almost certain death if you couldn't leave the country safely). Killing someone in a non-lethal ruleset would label you honourless, which was more or less a death sentence in many areas.

IIRC, there was an excellent dramatization of the Rise of the Borgia family back in the 00s that had one of the characters feeling guilty because he had killed a man dishonorably. Not killed a man, but had killed him in a dishonorable fashion. The further back you go from the modern day, the more different the values, customs, and traditions of the time period become. Europeans from the 1500s would be downright alien if we could bring them through time to the present, and vice-versa. and also horrendously smelly considering how much clothing most owned

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FMguru posted:

IIRC, heated shot was mostly used by forts firing at ships. In the Horatio Hornblower stories, they always knew when they were spotted because the smokestacks on the forts would start chugging.

It runs all the way back to Alexander-era Greece. Ships were literally coated in pitch for a long time, fire was an incredible danger.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Wouldn't heating a cannonball just set off your gunpowder prematurely?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

raverrn posted:

Wouldn't heating a cannonball just set off your gunpowder prematurely?

According to accounts I've read they used damp wool as wadding. You were supposed to fire as soon as possible after loading the ball, but if you waited too long the steam would dampen the gunpowder and make it useless rather than the heat setting it off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Black Thursday by Martin Caidin posted:

There is a terrible feeling when a bomber dies. Not just among the crewmen who, if not dead, are abandoning their machine in frantic haste before it becomes their tomb, but among those men in accompanying bombers who watch, help-less to assist, as a tongue of flame licks hungrily from a tear in a wing, feeds on fuel streaming backward, gathers strength, and throws itself through the rest of the airplane.

“These are the sights that tried our souls the most,” a pilot once explained. “To watch from your own bomber as a sister ship suffers the flame and begins to fall off in her opening death throes, to know that within her blazing heart the men are your friends and buddies, and maybe you know the pilot’s wife well, and know the kids, too.

“It involves more than the men. You don’t fly a Fortress for months and years without coming to know that gallant lady in the most intimate respects. You know her, and you place in her sturdy construction, the manner in which she flies, in everything about her, not only your life, and those of your crew, bur all the life to come—if we survive this stinking war, that is.

“But one thing I’ll tell you. A Queen dies hard. She doesn’t want to go, no more than any man inside her. You may not believe this. If you don’t, it’s only because you haven’t been there, and you haven’t watched combat-hardened men cry as a ship goes down; cry as much for the machine as for the men. Because, you see, when 10 men claimed her for their own, she was no longer just a machine. She was their bomber. That made her special, and made her come alive.”

There's more here, though I haven't read far. I was shown this specific quotation and thought it ought to be shared.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's more here, though I haven't read far. I was shown this specific quotation and thought it ought to be shared.

I heard something similar from a pilot that participated in the Peenemunde raids. His description of an interception by German night fighters was terrifying; they watched them approach for several minutes once their navigation lights became visible, knowing that each one meant likely death for themselves or their squadron mates. He also mentioned a deep sense of grief mixed with relief when the night fighters broke off-- watching bombers plummet out of the stream meant that there would be absent friends back in England, but with that came a sense of relief that at least it wasn't his crew and this survivor guilt haunted him for a very long time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

yes, the realities of heated shot basically dictate non-flammable infrastructure, which means Forts

wiegieman posted:

It runs all the way back to Alexander-era Greece. Ships were literally coated in pitch for a long time, fire was an incredible danger.

wooden ships remind me of the Roald Dahl quote about the Gloster Gladiator, which was basically that if a very clever man were to design something that would burn as readily as possible, he would come up with something a lot like the Gladiator (a biplane fighter airplane mostly made of high surface-to-volume sticks, canvas, petroleum products, and varnish). The same applies to wooden ships - it would be very difficult to invent something designed to burn better.

Tias
May 25, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

IIRC, there was an excellent dramatization of the Rise of the Borgia family back in the 00s that had one of the characters feeling guilty because he had killed a man dishonorably. Not killed a man, but had killed him in a dishonorable fashion. The further back you go from the modern day, the more different the values, customs, and traditions of the time period become. Europeans from the 1500s would be downright alien if we could bring them through time to the present, and vice-versa. and also horrendously smelly considering how much clothing most owned

Yes, one thing is being declared honourless by the thing, which could amount to lesser or greater outlawry (ie. leave the country or get murdered, often just be murdered on your way out) - but your honour was your lifeline in general, and people would do a great deal to remove stains on that honour, as it would mean their word wasn't good if it got bad enough. You didn't have much else than your allies, family and word to work with in those times - This is also why insulting others honour is a common matter for the courts, as are murders committed in response to such insults.

E: and such cases didn't even just end with settlements. Proving that the deceased behaved in an insulting or dishonourable enough fashion might mean you might get to pay less weregild or even be acquitted alltogether.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 23, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Exploring the history and cultural differences of the concept of honour would be a solid series of something to follow, pod/vodcast/documentary.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Zach Twamley, the guy who does the (pretty good) when diplomacy fails podcast, wrote a book on the importance of honor in british diplomacy and foreign policy around the first world war. Haven't really gotten into it yet though. Also it was a (masters? phd?) thesis so it does read like uh a school essay, but maybe the content is good

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

Exploring the history and cultural differences of the concept of honour would be a solid series of something to follow, pod/vodcast/documentary.

Definitely.

What is a Parrot Gun?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A very early muzzleloading artillery piece.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrott_rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's an early rifled muzzle loading artillery piece, I think you meant to say.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's an early rifled muzzle loading artillery piece, I think you meant to say.

Fair point.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Carillon posted:

A question about Charles V and I guess the Spanish crown more generally. I know he got into his eyeballs in debt for a lot of different activities, like bribing his way into Emperorship, fighting with France, etc., but do we know what he or his contemporaries thought about debt? Was it considered a lesser evil, did he think he could pay it back without any issues, was it just considered a part of being a king? I'm curious what their conception around taking out loans was, but not sure sure if it's captured in the record at all.

I've been recommended a book which tackles this very subject (among many others). Haven't read it myself yet but a friend whose opinion I trust recommended it. Take that for what you will.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm running a military and political sim based around the Korean War. Please join.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So the gimmick with Modern Pentathlon is to simulate the "experience of a 19th-century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight enemies with pistol and sword, swim, and run to return to his own soldiers."

Are there any memoirs or credible stories with an individual doing all five of these things in one incident?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Arbite posted:

So the gimmick with Modern Pentathlon is to simulate the "experience of a 19th-century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight enemies with pistol and sword, swim, and run to return to his own soldiers."

Are there any memoirs or credible stories with an individual doing all five of these things in one incident?

I don't know off hand, but I assume any calvary that got dismounted did those things in conjuction except for the swim part.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

piL posted:

I don't know off hand, but I assume any calvary that got dismounted did those things in conjuction except for the swim part.

I know of two cases in history in which a fleet was captured by cavalry. The French Revolutionary one involved a frozen Dutch port, so probably no swimming, but José Antonio Páez's required swimming on horseback through the Apure river to capture more than a dozen boats.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

hey tank nerds, stole this from the OSHA thread.

What's going on?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

hey tank nerds, stole this from the OSHA thread.

What's going on?

His attempts to milk it went horribly wrong?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

He brought the tank to completion

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Those rubber treads suggest construction vehicle to me. Looks like he released some kind of drainage plug in a reservoir under pressure, but I can't imagine what it could have been. Looks like the fender is covered in splatters of a similar colour, too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone know of a river island in some european river that was a pirate sanctuary for some time. It no longer exists I think, likely flooded for power reasons

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's the Zaporozhian Sich, the Cossacks built a number of fortifications on several different islands in the Dnieper that are now under the Kakhovka Reservoir.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Designing a living history thing about battlefield medicine ca. 700-900 AD. Any idea where I could look for sources?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone know of a river island in some european river that was a pirate sanctuary for some time. It no longer exists I think, likely flooded for power reasons

There were a bunch in what's in the modern day area of Germany and Holland, as well as the North sea. Varies by time and so on

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 26, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, Teplokhod AN)

Queue: Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building, BT-7M/A-8 trials, Jagdtiger suspension, Light Tank T37, Light Tank T41, T-26-6 (SU-26), Voroshilovets tractor trials, Israeli armour 1948–1982, T-64's composite armour, Evolution of German tank observation devices, Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-34 tanks with M-17 engines
ISU-152

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 26, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arbite posted:

Poniatowski was doing well in all events until he got to the swimming stage.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 26, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-34 tanks with M-17 engines
ISU-152

:godwin:
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

I think this is the smallest I've ever seen your list. :) My vote is anti-tank rifles just because that's been there forever.

Tias
May 25, 2008

ANTI TANK RIFULS

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

bewbies posted:

Do we have any idea what percentage of formal duels ended with someone being killed? Did it vary between swords and guns?

It varied greatly based upon the dueling culture. Late 18th and early 19th century UK gun duels seem to have around 6.5% fatality rates. But it can swing between things like dueling among political figures in the French 3rd republic, which had a fatality rate of less than 2%, to gun duels among Prussians, which appear to have like a 29% fatality rate.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/42705491
https://books.google.com/books?id=z...atality&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=q...atality&f=false

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I think this is the smallest I've ever seen your list. :) My vote is anti-tank rifles just because that's been there forever.

Yes! And I'd like to know if the Fokker T.V was the only plane to use the Solothurn or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

The list is small because Yuri Pasholok (the original author of most of these articles) stopped writing for Warspot. He writes smaller articles for Yandex Zen now, but daily. I haven't thought about how I'm going to organize a queue for these (if at all) yet.