Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

midge posted:

On this particular album I don't find it detracts too much from the music, it's complimentary on some tracks. I don't feel the need to ask for a replacement since it's down to the material of the disc - a replacement is gonna have the same issue.

lovely pressings are becoming increasingly common. Several years back one of the Third Man Vault things was a Raconteurs live album and as soon as I played it I noticed that it was a horrible, horrible pressing. So I contacted their customer service rep and he tried to condescendingly explain that that's what it supposed to sound like because it's a live record which I knew was bullshit. So they sent me a second copy with the same problem and in the meantime I did some digging and I found someone on a forum saying that the same rep told him that the record had an issue with the pressing plates not pressing evenly. So after another lovely copy he just sent me a test pressing to get rid of me. Unsurprisingly it sounded great. There was never any recall/replacement on it and there's a discogs listing for that TP and it looks like a bunch of people have it. So my guess is that what few people recognized it as a bad pressing sounds like got them and everyone else just thought that it was how that was supposed to sound. The labels know when they're selling you junk and they don't give a poo poo. This is also one of several reasons I seek out old pressings of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, a bunch of crackling and popping on my used 1969 Merle Haggard concert album just "fits" somehow. Having that on a brand new record would certainly piss me off though!

It's crazy to me that I've only been in this hobby for six months and even I know that, no, that's not "just how vinyl sounds", at least not to that extreme.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rope in the wind
All we are is rope in the wind

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

Where's Buster Keaton avatar lady, I want to see that footage of the postal worker bending the records over his knee.

Catching up on the thread, looks like the video still works if you check my post history (edit: got it https://imgur.com/c2lY7yJ).

This is absolutely incredible though. I can't believe they bent a package that thick so much it cracked in half! Your artist's rendering is also in my post history and I think it's even more apt to your situation (although it sounds like your damage happened in distribution instead of by the carrier).

Edit: here we go (also love we were talking about Garth even in November).

pwn posted:

Please enjoy this artist’s rendering of the attack

dorium’s mom ain’t going [to be putting those records] down ‘til the sun comes up

marjorie fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

midge posted:

On this particular album I don't find it detracts too much from the music, it's complimentary on some tracks. I don't feel the need to ask for a replacement since it's down to the material of the disc - a replacement is gonna have the same issue.

Some people who have received replacements have reported that their new copies don’t have the same issue. So that’s what I’m hoping for. I got the vac cleaning setup and I’m still waiting to hear back about this ultrasonic cleaner I jumped into a Kickstarter for. Looking forward to that.

More bad pressing news. Copy of the new Darkside release came in from matador with a bunch first minute that hard locks on side A, heavy static on side C and bowling on the first disc. Described the issue to Matador and they sent me an new copy without any video footage. So that was cool.

Now I gotta deal with this Repress of Nicolas Jaar’s first record. That was just mail damage though. Kinda fixed the sleeve but it’s got a real good warp on the second disc. Dunno if they’ll do anything for that though. First time in a long time USPS hosed up an order like that but it was also international shipping so that poo poo took a real bad beating and was a little wet too.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have gotten quite a few new records that are very lovely pressings.

Off center to the point of obvious pitch changes, bubbles in the vinyl, badly warped records, pops that aren't static, bad scratches that are obviously from getting mishandled between pressing and getting sleeved.

Amazon and Walmart have both let me return/exchange them. Though some walmart service desk people have refused to return/exchange until I make them read their policy where it says they take back defective merchandise.

But in my experience 90% of the time the replacement will have the exact same issue since it's just a poo poo pressing/lot.

Occasionally I have been able to buy 2 or 3 copies of a double album and find a good press of each disc like the No Doubt Icon album. Usually I just give up and try ordering from a different retailer or just wait for a new repress.

I had that issue with 3 copies of the queen greatest hits II album from Amazon a year ago and gave up. I probably should snag thd new target colored vinyl pressing and see if it's decent.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

Catching up on the thread, looks like the video still works if you check my post history (edit: got it https://imgur.com/c2lY7yJ).

This is absolutely incredible though. I can't believe they bent a package that thick so much it cracked in half! Your artist's rendering is also in my post history and I think it's even more apt to your situation (although it sounds like your damage happened in distribution instead of by the carrier).

Edit: here we go (also love we were talking about Garth even in November).

I'm going to be 100% honest and say I'm kind of impressed that the mailman so thoroughly hosed up that package without even the slightest bit of hesitation or tiniest bit of thought about it despite the fact that not doing stuff like that is like the main part of his job. He actually had to TRY to gently caress that up because it also requires a bit of strength. Everything was telling him "Do don't that. You're not suppose to do that." and he was like "I can't hear you over the sounds of this package being completely and irretrievably destroyed!".

I can't remember how this resolved. Did you file a complaint or anything? Or at least find out why he did this?

my turn in the barrel posted:

It's probably only going to get worse now that the labels are focusing on quantity rather than quality and the pressing plants are just chugging along at full speed and barely making it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Off center to the point of obvious pitch changes, bubbles in the vinyl, badly warped records, pops that aren't static, bad scratches that are obviously from getting mishandled between pressing and getting sleeved.

Amazon and Walmart have both let me return/exchange them. Though some walmart service desk people have refused to return/exchange until I make them read their policy where it says they take back defective merchandise.

But in my experience 90% of the time the replacement will have the exact same issue since it's just a poo poo pressing/lot.

Occasionally I have been able to buy 2 or 3 copies of a double album and find a good press of each disc like the No Doubt Icon album. Usually I just give up and try ordering from a different retailer or just wait for a new repress.

I had that issue with 3 copies of the queen greatest hits II album from Amazon a year ago and gave up. I probably should snag thd new target colored vinyl pressing and see if it's decent.

Maybe I’m crazy, but if it’s stuff you can find at Walmart or target, why not just buy older used albums? 99% of what they sell are represses of older albums that there are millions of copies of. If people stopped buying these lovely new represses with horrible QC, maybe they’d stop making so many of them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I know this is easy for me to say since I'm actually in reasonable distance to a number of different record stores but maybe just don't buy records from Amazon or Walmart altogether

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fat Possum just announced the reissue of Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"

https://store.fatpossum.com/products/ladies-and-gentlemen-we-are-floating-in-space

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, a bunch of crackling and popping on my used 1969 Merle Haggard concert album just "fits" somehow. Having that on a brand new record would certainly piss me off though!

It's crazy to me that I've only been in this hobby for six months and even I know that, no, that's not "just how vinyl sounds", at least not to that extreme.

I don't mind a few pops and clicks, but I have my limits. The only record I've ever return was Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave since it had a bunch of locked grooves.

I'm actually pretty wary of clear vinyl. Most of my worst new pressings came on clear LPs. I don't know if there's something up with that, or if it's just dumb luck, but I only have a handful of clear discs that aren't noisy as poo poo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
On the subject of pressing quality, have picture discs improved at all in the past few decades? I know the general advice back in the day was not to buy them for listening but I've got my eye on some Baroness picture discs since I love the artwork so much. People seem pretty split on whether they sound good or not and it's hard to tell audiophile wank from reality in discog comments.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

The only record I've ever return was Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave since it had a bunch of locked grooves.
That's just how Warren Ellis is with synths

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

internet celebrity posted:

On the subject of pressing quality, have picture discs improved at all in the past few decades? I know the general advice back in the day was not to buy them for listening but I've got my eye on some Baroness picture discs since I love the artwork so much. People seem pretty split on whether they sound good or not and it's hard to tell audiophile wank from reality in discog comments.

It’s still just as split as ever. The last one I bought was the new black midi album and honestly the quality surprised me. Sounded good and it looked amazing. The colors are way more vibrant and interesting than any other picture disc I’ve seen and sounded a lot better than any other in my collection (besides the second to last LP from Vince Staples ‘Big Fish Theory’ which also looked and sounded great). Still seems like a crapshoot though.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to be 100% honest and say I'm kind of impressed that the mailman so thoroughly hosed up that package without even the slightest bit of hesitation or tiniest bit of thought about it despite the fact that not doing stuff like that is like the main part of his job. He actually had to TRY to gently caress that up because it also requires a bit of strength. Everything was telling him "Do don't that. You're not suppose to do that." and he was like "I can't hear you over the sounds of this package being completely and irretrievably destroyed!".

I can't remember how this resolved. Did you file a complaint or anything? Or at least find out why he did this?

Yeah, the only thing I can figure is he was behind on time and knew immediately by sight it wouldn't fit so just did the first thing that popped into his head to force it. It was so stuffed in it took me a good couple of minutes to get it out.

As for resolution, shockingly, the records turned out generally fine. I was mad about it so just let the package sit flat with heavy things on top of it for a couple weeks and I think that helped. I did call the regional office to report it, made it clear I wasn't seeking compensation, and the lady I talked to was pretty horrified at the situation. The guy didn't work my route for much longer, but I think I do recall him managing to actually walk up to drop off a package once or twice after this incident.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dorium posted:

More bad pressing news. Copy of the new Darkside release came in from matador with a bunch first minute that hard locks on side A, heavy static on side C and bowling on the first disc. Described the issue to Matador and they sent me an new copy without any video footage. So that was cool.

Sorry to hear that. Mine came amazingly pristine. My 10th anniversary of Drums - Portamento came warped but the shipping and sleeve was perfectly fine.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Edit: never mind, that sold out fast!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 27, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

incoherent posted:

Sorry to hear that. Mine came amazingly pristine. My 10th anniversary of Drums - Portamento came warped but the shipping and sleeve was perfectly fine.

I'm still debating buying one of those vinyl flattener deals. Though we do have a record shop that does it in house but its like 10 bucks and the waitlist is kinda long.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Been picking up cheap poo poo on discogs to find some new bands and I found this and had to have it for the cover alone

$4 and the guy also threw in a free copy of Abacab

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space is a great album name.

Oh ye mortals, behold my score:

There were a couple record players at the thrift too, but nothing to blow you away like this.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Been picking up cheap poo poo on discogs to find some new bands and I found this and had to have it for the cover alone

$4 and the guy also threw in a free copy of Abacab

Which zeroes it out again. No, just kidding, I love Phil Collins, he and Joe Elliott have done a lot with detuned lead vocals.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 27, 2021

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

dorium posted:

I'm still debating buying one of those vinyl flattener deals. Though we do have a record shop that does it in house but its like 10 bucks and the waitlist is kinda long.

Buy the flattener, offer to take some of the backlog off their hands at a wholesale rate till it pays for itself(?).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Barry posted:

I know this is easy for me to say since I'm actually in reasonable distance to a number of different record stores but maybe just don't buy records from Amazon or Walmart altogether

Even if your only option is buying records online you still have so many more options than Amazon and loving Walmart.

marjorie posted:

Yeah, the only thing I can figure is he was behind on time and knew immediately by sight it wouldn't fit so just did the first thing that popped into his head to force it. It was so stuffed in it took me a good couple of minutes to get it out.

As for resolution, shockingly, the records turned out generally fine. I was mad about it so just let the package sit flat with heavy things on top of it for a couple weeks and I think that helped. I did call the regional office to report it, made it clear I wasn't seeking compensation, and the lady I talked to was pretty horrified at the situation. The guy didn't work my route for much longer, but I think I do recall him managing to actually walk up to drop off a package once or twice after this incident.

Several years back my dog got out of the house when the mail carrier came and she screamed bloody murder, jumped in the truck, slammed the door shut, and then tried to pepper spray the dog but had the can pointed the wrong way so she sprayed herself. Now I could see reacting like that if I had a charging rottweiler but my dog is actually a friendly puggle. When I came running outside because I heard the commotion the dog was just standing next to the porch sniffing around like a dumb dumb paying not attention to anything that was happening and then this lady's sitting in the mail truck wobbling around in agony. A day or two later I called the Post Office to report this not because I wanted the lady to get in trouble, because I didn't, but just to let them be aware that it happened because I don't think she knows how properly to handle the dangerous weapon she carries. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my sister was also outside and the way it went down is that if this lady had actually aimed the spray correctly she also would have got my sister. The supervisor I talked to didn't given even the slightest gently caress about any of that and was trying to start an argument with me about how the mail carrier was within her rights to protect herself and etc and that doesn't subject her to discipline. Even though I outright said that I didn't want her to get in trouble and I know what the deal was with the peppery spray. I tried to explain that I thought this lady is a potential danger to herself and others and that should be addressed at least three times before I just gave up. Other than that my experience with mail carriers has been great and that lady in particular was otherwise really nice and took great care with my packages. She retired not long after and I wonder if the two things are at least somewhat related.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Even if your only option is buying records online you still have so many more options than Amazon and loving Walmart.

Several years back my dog got out of the house when the mail carrier came and she screamed bloody murder, jumped in the truck, slammed the door shut, and then tried to pepper spray the dog but had the can pointed the wrong way so she sprayed herself. Now I could see reacting like that if I had a charging rottweiler but my dog is actually a friendly puggle. When I came running outside because I heard the commotion the dog was just standing next to the porch sniffing around like a dumb dumb paying not attention to anything that was happening and then this lady's sitting in the mail truck wobbling around in agony. A day or two later I called the Post Office to report this not because I wanted the lady to get in trouble, because I didn't, but just to let them be aware that it happened because I don't think she knows how properly to handle the dangerous weapon she carries. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my sister was also outside and the way it went down is that if this lady had actually aimed the spray correctly she also would have got my sister. The supervisor I talked to didn't given even the slightest gently caress about any of that and was trying to start an argument with me about how the mail carrier was within her rights to protect herself and etc and that doesn't subject her to discipline. Even though I outright said that I didn't want her to get in trouble and I know what the deal was with the peppery spray. I tried to explain that I thought this lady is a potential danger to herself and others and that should be addressed at least three times before I just gave up. Other than that my experience with mail carriers has been great and that lady in particular was otherwise really nice and took great care with my packages. She retired not long after and I wonder if the two things are at least somewhat related.

quote:

The Puggle is the result of an accidental cross breeding between a Pug and a Beagle, probably sometime in the 1990s.
I can see why this would inspire fear.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Maybe she pepper sprayed herself so she wouldn’t be able to see your Herb Alpert and the TJB scores.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Maybe she pepper sprayed herself so she wouldn’t be able to see your Herb Alpert and the TJB scores.

Equally fear-inspiring

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

your Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Jazz Brass scores

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Where we're going we won't need eyes to see the Other Delights.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

pwn posted:

your Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Jazz Brass scores

:colbert:

Don’t try me, I know my stuff

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Okay that's it. We're finally doing this. I'm posting a Herb Alpert video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0PVHg_EEdM

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

dorium posted:

I dunno. They are pretty expensive, can really gently caress up your records if your not careful, and from the stuff I've read they aren't really that effective. They might mellow out a massive warp but they don't seem to be worth the money.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

:colbert:

Don’t try me, I know my stuff

:pwn:

What’s hosed is i read the entire CD liner notes for that album and I somehow missed that abomination of an abbreviation. Or blocked it out of memory

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

People call Tijuana “TJ”.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Maybe I’m crazy, but if it’s stuff you can find at Walmart or target, why not just buy older used albums? 99% of what they sell are represses of older albums that there are millions of copies of. If people stopped buying these lovely new represses with horrible QC, maybe they’d stop making so many of them.

All the reviews I've read of Queen vinyl pressings in the last few years have been bad. I had considered picking up one or two, but the combination of prices, quality, me having everything on CD and the amount of dreck on Queen's later albums pushed me solidly to "no."

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What’s really insane is that herb Alpert is actually good?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RC and Moon Pie posted:

All the reviews I've read of Queen vinyl pressings in the last few years have been bad. I had considered picking up one or two, but the combination of prices, quality, me having everything on CD and the amount of dreck on Queen's later albums pushed me solidly to "no."

Guess I got lucky on my reissue of Sheer Heart Attack, when I played it after finally getting my audio system sorted out it sounded fantastic as did the silly Queen + Adam Lambert EP. I haven't listened to Jazz or Queen II since the speaker swap though, but I suspect Jazz at least will be fine. All this talk of bad pressings has me worried as the last ones I want on vinyl are Hot Space and maaaaaaaybe Miracle. Maybe. Probably could find an original Hot Space though as a lot of people hate it, dunno if the Bowie fans drive that one up at all.

And this whole Herb Alpert saga has made me come around a bit more on him as well. Also totally unrelated, STS shipped a thing that I haven't listened to yet:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I don't generally buy new presses. 99% of what I have came from Garage Sales or Thrift Shops.

But... I will buy poo poo from Amazon or Walmart if it's a good deal. Especially 90s and up bands that had little to no vinyl pressed.

The week before last Thanksgiving Walmart had a sale and all records were $15. So I picked up a whole bunch of comps including the No Doubt Icons I had issues getting a good copy of.

I also grabbed a bunch of the ones they were clearing out for $1 a few months later.

Walmart is clearing out a bunch of LPs for $1

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/comments/lc48dn/walmart_1_records?sort=new

And target has a bunch of LPs on clearance in select stores for $3-12. Check the prices on brickseek to see if any local stores have the deal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/comments/lcvjqc/ymmv_additional_target_vinyl_clearance_rolling?sort=new

Both are entirely dependent on chance but I hit a few walmarts and a target and got some decent stuff.

Living out in the sticks means you have a great selection of vinyl that sits on target and walmarts shelves until it hits clearance. But the drawback is there are relatively few decent record shops unless I drive a few hours to Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Bruh. Beatles 1? Cmon now

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
BRB, doing my own Zaireeka thing with oye como va.

Maybe this isn’t true for records, but plenty of companies have a Walmart/Home depot/other big box store model of a lot of products that are made slightly cheaper to counteract the low prices you get locked into in your contract. It wouldn’t really surprise me if the albums on the rack at walmart are somehow shittier too. Or maybe everything pressed in big runs now is lovely quality.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

BigFactory posted:

BRB, doing my own Zaireeka thing with oye como va.

Maybe this isn’t true for records, but plenty of companies have a Walmart/Home depot/other big box store model of a lot of products that are made slightly cheaper to counteract the low prices you get locked into in your contract. It wouldn’t really surprise me if the albums on the rack at walmart are somehow shittier too. Or maybe everything pressed in big runs now is lovely quality.

I got a recent pressing of Metallica's Ride The Lightning from my local record store, but they must have just bought up some clearence stock because the 'Walmart Exclusive' sticker was smack dab in the middle of it.

The LP is REALLY light and it doesn't sound very good. Should have just gotten the CD for $3 if I wanted my dose of middle school nostalgia. But yeah based on my experience. I'd have no trouble believing they did everything as cheaply as possible for a Walmart release.

EDIT: or maybe yeah recent big pressings in general just suck who knows

chibi luda fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 29, 2021