Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Prometheus prequel going in some strange places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

People know they can just go back and watch the original, right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lamb in the basket shot is giving me some strong Eraserhead vibes

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gresh posted:

what makes anyone think that people want to see an animated cartoon Blade Runner? loving stupid. The animated cartoon LOTR Rohirrim movie is gonna look just as dumb I bet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ
Now Shinichiro Watanabe Blade Runner I would very much watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGdrlVShkmg

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Looks like that black sheep of the family's going to be made a scapegoat!

This actually looks really interesting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's more wild to me than the Ghostbusters trailer itself is since it dropped how many people I've seen arguing that the original was not a comedy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lobok posted:

What's more wild to me than the Ghostbusters trailer itself is since it dropped how many people I've seen arguing that the original was not a comedy.

I saw a tweet where the guy said it wasn't the comedy that made him like it but "the lore".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I saw a tweet where the guy said it wasn't the comedy that made him like it but "the lore".

Was it Dan Ackroyd? Because that man had a pseudo-scientific explanation for every single thing in the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4um1Ag2A03A

(actually a really cool video series about the in-world rules, they do Beetlejuice too)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ghostbusters was primarily a comedy but it also took the paranormal seriously. That’s part of what made the comedy work!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

gently caress yes. gently caress me up, Phil.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

Haha yes this looks so amazing. 30 years in the making!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Am I supposed to know what the hell is going on in Lamb

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

Am I supposed to know what the hell is going on in Lamb
Major spoilers they hosed a lamb

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo. There's a nightmare I'm ready for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

New Fromsoft game looks great!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

100% flocking for Noomi

100% all in for Oscar

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Yea the vibe they are pushing with these trailers is pure nostalgia, ghostbusters is your treasured past by way of Field of Dreams. The ghostbuster movies are loving funny!!! They should be funny and irreverent but I mean most of the cast of this is like 12 year olds and they arent funny so are they going to depend on paul rudd to hard carry the humor???

nah that's straight Ghost Busters: Stranger Things edition. With their very own Stranger Things Kid.

Stranger Busters

Ghost Things

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

whydirt posted:

Ghostbusters was primarily a comedy but it also took the paranormal seriously. That’s part of what made the comedy work!

What made Ghostbusters work was the mashup between blue collar garbagemen and the paranormal. Its such a great irreverent tone, and some pretty hilarious commentary.

This is so sincere, in a Force Awakens way, that it makes my teeth hurt.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

nah that's straight Ghost Busters: Stranger Things edition. With their very own Stranger Things Kid.

Stranger Busters

Ghost Things

Something Strange

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

Something Strange

I aint afraid of no things.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Strange things makes me feel good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGi3Bgn7U5U

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the movie nobody asked for

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ridley Scott asked for it, therefore it exists. Look at how Fox/Disney denied him his Prometheus sequels, and thus Raised by Wolves happened.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

You know that was all awful and embarrassing and they still managed to outdo it all in the closing seconds.

Maybe he’s playing himself and they’re calling to get help from the OSIR.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

With this and The Last Duel, it’s a big year for Ridley.

The MSJ posted:

Ridley Scott asked for it, therefore it exists. Look at how Fox/Disney denied him his Prometheus sequels, and thus Raised by Wolves happened.

Maybe we’ll get the Covenant sequel after these two and Kitbag.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MLSM posted:

They’re also releasing like a month apart.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As a former employee of MGM I am shocked they are still making movies.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MLSM posted:

Ridley Scott has had an absolutely bonkers output since 2000. There have only been seven different years since then where he hasn't released a movie (although that's including 2020) and 2021, 2017 and 2001 all had two releases.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Ridley Scott has had an absolutely bonkers output since 2000. There have only been seven different years since then where he hasn't released a movie (although that's including 2020) and 2021, 2017 and 2001 all had two releases.

The dude is a loving workaholic, but he also has an incredible sense of economy for time. He's like Soderbergh in that way, only Soderbergh is more obsessed with independence and Scott just up and deals with studio bullshit while getting angrier every year. :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

As a former employee of MGM I am shocked they are still making movies.

Aren't they soon to be part of the Amazon?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The dude is a loving workaholic, but he also has an incredible sense of economy for time. He's like Soderbergh in that way, only Soderbergh is more obsessed with independence and Scott just up and deals with studio bullshit while getting angrier every year. :allears:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was gonna compare him to Soderbergh.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

A valid complaint about that film (and there were so many bad faith ones) is that no comedy should have a budget that big.

Another valid complaint is that comedies should be funny.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

A valid complaint about that film (and there were so many bad faith ones) is that no comedy should have a budget that big.

Which is utterly ludicrous because the reason why comedy films are such garbage now is because they decided to all follow the Apatow model of giving a bunch of comedians a general vague plot outline and have them improvise all their dialog to not pay writers.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Letting actors riff on their lines in a comedy to see which version works best isn't a bad thing tbh. The end result is all that matters. Bill Murray famously ad-libbed pretty much his entire role in Ghostbusters 1984. It's not new by any means, although the extent of it has increased (for some films, from some directors).

It's not even restricted to comedies, Ken Loach uses improvisation extensively to get a more natural performance in films that are often as serious as film gets. Mike Leigh goes way further and starts with the actors and lengthy improv before even starting the screenplay. His films have the actors go away and figure out their characters and then come back and tell him who they are.

I dunno, this whole mythology we've built up about the sanctity of a rock solid screenplay written well in advance, of a vision fully formed before production. Yet so many films we love were all semi-improv or were written the day of shooting, everyone was winging it to some extent. Sometimes that's a factor in why some films sucked (especially trilogies, because it always fails when spread across multiple films), but sometimes it's why those films turned out to be great. I'd highly recommend the Netflix show "The Movies That Made Us" for some prime examples of great and popular films that, when you hear how they were made, seem like minor miracles of happenstance.

In conclusion: film is a land of contrasts

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Outside of a few rare exceptions, a comedy has to have a solid foundational screenplay to work. Yes, actors can improvise on top of that and play with the language and lines, or even improvise entire new moments or sequences if they understand their character and their function within the scene well—but if the words on the page don't work, the actor isn't going to have a launchpad into good improv. Perhaps funny lines, but good improv informs character, moves the scene forward, or serves some other storytelling purpose. People seem to conflate "improv" and "making up jokes," but improv is a theatrical form that has far more to it than just being funny. Working from "[insert joke here]" means that you're just filling an empty comedy beat, but good improvised jokes need to be part of a larger canvas.

Bad improv is just like a bad action sequence or a bad musical number: if it's not serving a storytelling purpose, it's just wasting time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Bad improv is just like a bad action sequence or a bad musical number: if it's not serving a storytelling purpose, it's just wasting time.

Someone please tattoo this on the inside of Ryan Reynold's eyelids

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Capital "I" Improv is the least funny of the comedy disciplines.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The highs are higher but the lows are much lower. I couldn't fault anyone for not getting into improv enough to experience the incredible stuff. At its best it's definitely more a school of theatre than a school of comedy, but the vast majority of shows you could go catch on a Friday night don't reflect that even in NYC or LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

feedmyleg posted:

good improv informs character

good points, but re this specifically, i would think in a film context that it would lean more towards the character informing the improv

like in a live setting the character can evolve freely with the scene, but for a film you need a strong core to remain on target

whether you get the strong core from doing leigh-style improv before the script or having a strong script to start with