Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Literally A Person posted:

What's the footprint of that thing?

About 23"d x 27"w x 16"h by itself but you need an extra 6" or so out back to allow the slider to slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

That is the one downside so far to the 12" slider, it is a big boy. But i've got a spot for it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That is the nice thing about such as the Festool or the Delta or the Bosch— they don’t need that extra room in the back

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sockser posted:

That is the nice thing about such as the Festool or the Delta or the Bosch— they don’t need that extra room in the back

I love Delta's thought process on tool design. Their cutoff saws are seriously second to none in my book.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Seems to get forgotten about but Makita also has sliders where the rails are in the front not the back, much like Festool, and they're available cordless.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What's the current wisdom on battery powered mowers? I have just under 10k sq ft of fairly easy to cut grass. Lawn is kept up, no big hills or roots etc and it's coastal new england so I don't get big crazy thick grass or stuff either.

I use the Dewalt 20v system for power tools and my string trimmer, but I've not seen great reviews on the DeWalt electric mower esp for the price. I am happy to go a different way on this one.

I don't keep my yard to like golf course quality, so I am OK with it being a slightly cheaper mower as long as it gets the job done / isn't crap. Self propelled is not mandatory at all.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Elem7 posted:

Seems to get forgotten about but Makita also has sliders where the rails are in the front not the back, much like Festool, and they're available cordless.

Metabo HPT too. I really like mine.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

That Works posted:

What's the current wisdom on battery powered mowers? I have just under 10k sq ft of fairly easy to cut grass. Lawn is kept up, no big hills or roots etc and it's coastal new england so I don't get big crazy thick grass or stuff either.

I use the Dewalt 20v system for power tools and my string trimmer, but I've not seen great reviews on the DeWalt electric mower esp for the price. I am happy to go a different way on this one.

I don't keep my yard to like golf course quality, so I am OK with it being a slightly cheaper mower as long as it gets the job done / isn't crap. Self propelled is not mandatory at all.

I did not like the DeWalt 40v mower system. I have a quarter acre lot, and the prior owners fertilized the lawn. I have 17.5ah of battery, and it was usually enough to mow if I got it about every 6 days. When I started with just the one battery I had to stop and recharge. I eventually bought a gas one.

You in the Philly area? I'll give you a good deal on it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That Works posted:

Ego is the top dog for battery powered mowers but they’re pricey and their replacement batteries are hideously expensive, around $350.

DeWalts other cordless outdoor tools are fine but as you said their mower is pretty lackluster.

I went with an Ego mower and Milwaukee edger and trimmer but if could do it all again I would probably just go for a full Ryobi outdoor system. They make decent outdoor tools that punch above their weight and their replacement batteries are still affordable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FCKGW posted:

Ego is the top dog for battery powered mowers but they’re pricey and their replacement batteries are hideously expensive, around $350.

DeWalts other cordless outdoor tools are fine but as you said their mower is pretty lackluster.

I went with an Ego mower and Milwaukee edger and trimmer but if could do it all again I would probably just go for a full Ryobi outdoor system. They make decent outdoor tools that punch above their weight and their replacement batteries are still affordable.

Thanks. I don't think I'd go with the Dewalt one after reading as much as I could on it. Just too many negative reviews etc.

The Ego stuff looks great but I am sorta wondering if it's overkill. I've been using an old rear end used Craftsman mower with a Honda GCV160 engine with just a standard mulching blade. It's self propelled and honestly it's not really necessary or appreciated.

So I was kind of looking at maybe the push only Brushless Ryobi https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...110-Y/311084745

I technically can afford the Ego, but given that I mow my lawn once a week (without worrying about it overgrowing) and am always mowing on flat ground / never knocking down high or wet grass etc I am wondering if the cheaper one is sufficient for this case.

Alarbus posted:

You in the Philly area? I'll give you a good deal on it

Ah thanks but I am a good bit up the way in Rhode Island.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have the (old) brushless 40v Ryobi that has five to it and I love it, it’s never let me down, although it’ll chew through battery if you let your lawn sit too long

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sockser posted:

I have the (old) brushless 40v Ryobi that has five to it and I love it, it’s never let me down, although it’ll chew through battery if you let your lawn sit too long

About how big of a space are you mowing?

I am prob looking at 10k sq ft or a lil less.

Putting in some more mulched beds as we update too so the lawn will get a little smaller still.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I’ve been getting YouTube ads for the Husqvarna robot lawnmower… I want to hear a trip report so badly

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

namlosh posted:

I’ve been getting YouTube ads for the Husqvarna robot lawnmower… I want to hear a trip report so badly

IDK if it's a husqvarna or not but:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Getting a robot mower is the goddamn best thing I ever goddamn helling did. It even cured the mossy area behind the house, lawn has never looked better (well OK we've had no rain for a month now so it's got a lot of brown). But holy moly it's nice! Niiiiice!!!!!!

Like it was a weekly existential dread having to cut the lawn, when it was cut I felt relieved, but I kept worrying about the next week I was gonna cut it and the worry just gets more intense over the week until I finally arrived at mowing day. I hated mowing so much I would actually be in a bad mood because of it and it'd steal mental resources so I wouldn't do other things, even when I was not mowing. My life is so much better, and we can set the lawn to be cut high enough that small flowers and poo poo can survive so it's not as much a monoculture (not that it ever was, it's a wild mix of weeds and some grass seeds).

over in the home zone thread.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

That Works posted:

About how big of a space are you mowing?

Honestly no loving idea, I don’t really have a yard, I just have weird strips of grass everywhere and hills I need to navigate

Maybe like 500sqft?
And a half charge on the battery that came with it will do the yard normally, and leave me enough juice for the trimmer and blower after.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I have almost 1/4 acre and I bought a used ego mower, trimmer and blower with two batteries (7.5 used and new 5ah), a couple months ago for around $500, 7.5 battery will mow the whole yard as long as I don't let the grass get crazy tall, if so only gets like 3/4 done and switch to the trimmer battery to finish it off.

Love them, they work great, wish I had got them a year ago honestly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I got the Lowe's brand Kobalt 80v mower last fall on clearance, and it will easily do 10k on a single charge.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

IDK if it's a husqvarna or not but:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Getting a robot mower is the goddamn best thing I ever goddamn helling did. It even cured the mossy area behind the house, lawn has never looked better (well OK we've had no rain for a month now so it's got a lot of brown). But holy moly it's nice! Niiiiice!!!!!!

Like it was a weekly existential dread having to cut the lawn, when it was cut I felt relieved, but I kept worrying about the next week I was gonna cut it and the worry just gets more intense over the week until I finally arrived at mowing day. I hated mowing so much I would actually be in a bad mood because of it and it'd steal mental resources so I wouldn't do other things, even when I was not mowing. My life is so much better, and we can set the lawn to be cut high enough that small flowers and poo poo can survive so it's not as much a monoculture (not that it ever was, it's a wild mix of weeds and some grass seeds).
over in the home zone thread.

lamo. I used to hate mowing when I was a kid. Now I mow and it brings me back to carefree summer youth......

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 29, 2021

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does anyone have a recommendation for a string trimmer and leaf blower combo? It's my first time buying these tools and I'm hoping to get a decent price and suggestion for these.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mr. Mambold posted:

I got the Lowe's brand Kobalt 80v mower last fall on clearance, and it will easily do 10k on a single charge.

lamo. I used to hate mowing when I was a kid. Now I mow and it brings me back to carefree summer youth......

I'm having flashbacks to high school when I lived a few doors down from a girl I had a crush on and she'd see me mowing the lawn and make fun of my lawn mowing form (???). Now having a tiny inner city lawn that's quick to mow has been a great relief, along with my 40V Greenworks mower.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm having flashbacks to high school when I lived a few doors down from a girl I had a crush on and she'd see me mowing the lawn and make fun of my lawn mowing form (???). Now having a tiny inner city lawn that's quick to mow has been a great relief, along with my 40V Greenworks mower.

Hank Hill had a daughter?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FISHMANPET posted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone have any experience getting an extension cord replaced under warranty? I bought a Rigid extension cord 2 years ago that literally exploded (fire shooting out and everything). It's a nice cord and should have a lifetime warranty on it, but I can't find anything on Rigid's site about how to get warranty replacements for anything other than power tools.

HD doesn't sell this anymore so getting it swapped might be tricky.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FCKGW posted:

Anyone have any experience getting an extension cord replaced under warranty? I bought a Rigid extension cord 2 years ago that literally exploded (fire shooting out and everything). It's a nice cord and should have a lifetime warranty on it, but I can't find anything on Rigid's site about how to get warranty replacements for anything other than power tools.

Things that aren't tools usually fall under their "Limited Lifetime Warranty", and current Ridgid extension cords sold by HD fall under it now. You can call Ridgid (or One World or whatever they're called) and talk to them about it.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/limited-lifetime-warranty-2

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

Things that aren't tools usually fall under their "Limited Lifetime Warranty", and current Ridgid extension cords sold by HD fall under it now. You can call Ridgid (or One World or whatever they're called) and talk to them about it.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/limited-lifetime-warranty-2

Fantastic, thanks.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FISHMANPET posted:

You need to find her on facebook and show her how to sever grass and weedsnow

FCKGW posted:

That usually doesn't happen unless you cut it or run something directly shorted through it. Or maybe it just wasn't rigid enough.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a string trimmer and leaf blower combo? It's my first time buying these tools and I'm hoping to get a decent price and suggestion for these.

Assuming you mean cordless/battery, I love the Milwaukee version of both. I also have other M18 tools, so being able to use the same batteries is nice, rather than buying into only an outdoor battery system (cough, Ego.)

They usually do a package deal early/Summer, Father's day for around $300 IIRC. Looks like the package is $400 (w/ a 8AH battery) right now at HD.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Assuming you mean cordless/battery, I love the Milwaukee version of both. I also have other M18 tools, so being able to use the same batteries is nice, rather than buying into only an outdoor battery system (cough, Ego.)

They usually do a package deal early/Summer, Father's day for around $300 IIRC. Looks like the package is $400 (w/ a 8AH battery) right now at HD.

the issue is 18v only gets you so far.. I went with the 40v string trimmer so I could use the tiller attachment and have the battery later on when I move to a battery mower in 2ish years. 18v gets you okay power for that stuff but it's nto great.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I found a pair of channel-lock 426 pliers on a job way back in 2006. They were a bit rusty, so I sprayed them with WD-40 and then proceeded to use them pretty much every working day for five years, then "frequently" after that.

Last week, I was attempting to remove some stainless steel fittings that someone had done something stupid to and broke the pliers. Pieces came off of the grooves on both pieces of the plier. I was pretty surprised. I put them in a box and mailed them to ChannelLock. Yesterday, I received a brand new pair of 426 pliers by UPS.

They're good tools, and the warranty really works! Here's hoping that 2021 metallurgy and build quality is comparable to that of the mid-2000s; I'll get another pair sometime in the 2050s.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I love my Channel Locks. I really only own one pair, but I’d be curious to know how old a couple in the orbit of my life are too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I acquired a pair that were left in the house when we bought it. Also very curious how old, my guess is 70s/80s. They were a size between my largest and smallest so it was perfect.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got rid of my channel locks after getting a bunch of Knipex wrenches. They're pricey but holy moly are they better in every way.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Knipex are great, but I still like the Channel Locks for their simplicity and sturdiness. Not that Knipex lacks either really, I just don’t get on that well with the push button adjustment ones.

Edit: I’m a southpaw and that’s no small part of my gripes I realized. :-(

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 31, 2021

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tater_salad posted:

the issue is 18v only gets you so far.. I went with the 40v string trimmer so I could use the tiller attachment and have the battery later on when I move to a battery mower in 2ish years. 18v gets you okay power for that stuff but it's nto great.

Don't fall for the marketing wank. It's all about the watts delivered to the motor. The newer Milwaukee batteries and tools run at higher amps to deliver similar power to the higher voltage stuff.

Granted, there are small efficiencies to be gained by upping the voltage, but Milwaukee has tons of power hungry tools that run on 18v. I like that they maintained backwards compatibility.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Don't fall for the marketing wank. It's all about the watts delivered to the motor. The newer Milwaukee batteries and tools run at higher amps to deliver similar power to the higher voltage stuff.

Granted, there are small efficiencies to be gained by upping the voltage, but Milwaukee has tons of power hungry tools that run on 18v. I like that they maintained backwards compatibility.

I get that and my 18v saw is a beast but if you are let's say calling for 500w of power you're going to get an 45min of use on a 40v 4 ah battery where you're going to get ~20 an a 4ah 18v. If I was just using a trimmer and no tiller and not looking for a mower in the ln the next 3-5ish years I'd have ended up with the 18v string trimmer.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I get that and my 18v saw is a beast but if you are let's say calling for 500w of power you're going to get an 45min of use on a 40v 4 ah battery where you're going to get ~20 an a 4ah 18v. If I was just using a trimmer and no tiller and not looking for a mower in the ln the next 3-5ish years I'd have ended up with the 18v string trimmer.

Well, yeah, but those batteries you listed aren't in any way equivalent. It's much better to look at the actual Watt-hours of the battery (Milwaukee lists this on the bottom, not sure about other brands.) The equivalent battery in 18V (20v/40v is marketing wank) is an 8Ah.

For a while, everyone used 18650 lithium cells in their packs. The pack's physical size was the easiest way to tell what it could actually deliver in terms of runtime, because you can tell how many cells it contains. Some brands now use the 21700 cells, which can deliver more amps, and are larger (size and capacity.) These are what Milwaukee ('HO') uses to power the high-draw tools instead of jumping to 36v (cough, 40v) pack configurations.

Ironically, there's now a 'confirmed' rumor of a M18 mower coming in 2022. It will be interesting to see how it performs, but I have zero use for it with my sized yard.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What's the deal with Milwaukee m28 tools? Is that just for specific things or was that a failed experiment that they still support?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

What's the deal with Milwaukee m28 tools? Is that just for specific things or was that a failed experiment that they still support?

It's an older line that they have discontinued. The lines they advertise now are M12, M18, and MX. M28 was dropped and replaced by the M18 line.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Self quoting for a deal going now on air filters to build your own box fan filter

canyoneer posted:

Air filters!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08773TTZQ

Deal on Amazon for a 6 pack of MERV 8 20x20 filters for $26, perfect for building a high performance DIY air filter for home or garage.
https://youtu.be/uM7mR-95KUg

I have a regular Coway unit inside that is aesthetically approved by the wife, but I think I may put one together for special situations (dusty projects, garage work, poor outdoor air quality from wildfires/dust)

Bro in law made one and has been using it for some drywall sanding projects and he really likes it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.businessinsider.com/home-depot-fights-shoplifters-special-power-tools-2021-7

Home depot executive is working on a project to make consumer power tools with DRM, ostensibly to combat theft.

This sounds so completely not worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I go to grab my drill so I can put together my latest Ikea furniture. After waiting 15 minutes for it to finish installing updates and rebooting, a cheery voice says "Hello! Your subscription to the Home Depot Premium Homeowner Plan has expired. You will need to renew your subscription for a minimum of one year before using this device. A bill of $49.95 will be applied to your account. Say 'yes' to continue."