Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I don't think I can't wait until next fall :sigh:

Edit: please note this is because I am impatient not because I am entitled. Also, pandemmy is making the year simultaneously drag on and zoom by and I can't deal with it anymore

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Need a thread title update.

I am both happy for an extra book and disappointed to wait another year for a conclusion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If we can get the thread title changed I want to keep it saying Trilogy just for that Douglas Adams energy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Locked Tomb Trilogy+

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A trilogy in four parts.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

An additional book must be absorbed to attain Trilogyhood

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

funkymonks posted:

Need a thread title update.

I am both happy for an extra book and disappointed to wait another year for a conclusion.

Same.

I'm so hype.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Am I the only one weirded out because the first thing that comes to mind for “Nona” is the Italian term for grandma?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

Am I the only one weirded out because the first thing that comes to mind for “Nona” is the Italian term for grandma?

My grandma is also gideon the ninth

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Entropic posted:

It also means nine.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I'm formulating some guesses about Nona having to do with Harrow's last name being Nonagesimus and a theme of splitting apart would jive with what happened in the story so far anyway, and maybe Nona is the kid from the epilogue? This is complete speculation, of course.

I'm going to have to make some more room on my lesbian scifi/fantasy bookshelf now that this is (at least??) four books, and I am very cool with that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DurianGray posted:

I'm formulating some guesses about Nona having to do with Harrow's last name being Nonagesimus and a theme of splitting apart would jive with what happened in the story so far anyway, and maybe Nona is the kid from the epilogue? This is complete speculation, of course.

That was basically my immediate theory as well.

Do we get Hark the Ninth and Gesimus the Ninth at some point too?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

DurianGray posted:

I'm going to have to make some more room on my lesbian scifi/fantasy bookshelf now that this is (at least??) four books, and I am very cool with that.

Honestly I'm still trying to decide about picking up paperback copies for the extra stuff. I've just never bought two versions of the same book like this before lol

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Entropic posted:

That was basically my immediate theory as well.

Do we get Hark the Ninth and Gesimus the Ninth at some point too?

Now a 6 book trilogy.

Happy Landfill posted:

Honestly I'm still trying to decide about picking up paperback copies for the extra stuff. I've just never bought two versions of the same book like this before lol

I just have the hardcovers right now, but I've got the black-edged Gideon and white-edged Harrow and I'm tempted to find a black-edged Harrow (I assume they did it for Harrow too?) just for the aesthetic. Knowing there's extra stuff in the paperbacks/ebooks makes this even more complicated.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 31, 2021

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DurianGray posted:

I just have the hardcovers right now, but I've got the black-edged Gideon and white-edged Harrow and I'm tempted to find a black-edged Harrow (I assume they did it for Harrow too?) just for the aesthetic. Knowing there's extra stuff in the paperbacks/ebooks makes this even more complicated.

I pre-ordered a hardcover of Harrow because I wanted black edges to match my Gideon hardcover and was bummed to get just plain paper.

I also own ebook copies (convenient to read), and audio book (Moira Quirke's narration is amazing).

Gideon has sort of been a comfort food book during plague times...

Excited for Even More Locked Tomb Mayhem even if it does, sadly, mean more waiting.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Happy Landfill posted:

You'll be all right.

There are black-edged Harrows, either the Illumicrate edition or some copies sent to indie book stores. They're on Ebay, but are a pricey at this point.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Quinton posted:

I pre-ordered a hardcover of Harrow because I wanted black edges to match my Gideon hardcover and was bummed to get just plain paper.

Yeah, this happened to me too, so I ended up ordering a second copy from some random bookshop in the US. Cost a fair bit (about as much in shipping as the book itself cost) but it was totally worth it for the ~aesthetic~

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What is the extra stuff in the ebooks? I read them both at release but I have both ebooks. I guess I'd just have to redownload them.

Also if Kingdom Hearts can be a trilogy across 8 games, Locked Tomb can be a four book trilogy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wait what's the extra stuff? I got the Gideon paperback but the Harrow hardcover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Harrow paperback isn't out yet.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Gideon end of book extras...
(not present in my original hardcover or the ebook at release, but is in the ebook now):

Glossary
Definitions for Necromancer, Cavalier, Thanergy, Thalergy, Nine House, Dominicus, Flesh Magic, Bone Magic, Spirit Magic, The Locked Tomb, Lyctors

A Sermon on Cavaliers and Necromancers
taken from the collected works of M. Bias

Cohort Intelligence Files
Intelligence Report assembled on the advent of the Lyctor Pilgrimage by Captain J. Deuteros
A paragraph or two on the various Lyctoral candidates and their Cavaliers

A Little Explanation of Naming Systems
Pronunciation and author's notes on names

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The pronunciation guide was originally posted to Tamsyn's tumblr and they edited out the DEEZ NUTS joke for the paperback. :mad:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cowards

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So I'm only through chapter 3 in Harrow and I'm enjoying it but, like something isn't adding up here, and then - what the gently caress is going on? Ortus? Well I'm already hooked on this new madness, no choice but to see where the hell this goes.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

AcidCat posted:

So I'm only through chapter 3 in Harrow and I'm enjoying it but, like something isn't adding up here, and then - what the gently caress is going on? Ortus? Well I'm already hooked on this new madness, no choice but to see where the hell this goes.

:bisonyes:

It will only get weirder before it makes sense (and even then...)
What is the scientologists say? The only way out is through?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Entropic posted:

If we can get the thread title changed I want to keep it saying Trilogy just for that Douglas Adams energy.

The Increasingly Inaccurately-Named Locked Tomb

Edit: vvv :thejoke: vvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Was it really locked, anyway?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
HtN paperback extras:

https://imgur.com/a/bTGprJJ

It’s Judith Deuteros’ notes from between the first two books.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Entropic posted:

HtN paperback extras:

Oooh, good poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Also I have been pronouncing Augustine wrong this whole time. Dammit, Taz!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Entropic posted:

HtN paperback extras:

Thank you so much! You rock!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

HtN paperback extras:

drat Judith just skyrocketed up the rankings of my fav characters list

thank you for posting this!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, wonder if the ebook will get updated with this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Kindle version of Gideon had some stuff like that but Harrow does not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Entropic posted:

HtN paperback extras:

Thank you so much for that. Loved reading it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

silvergoose posted:

The Kindle version of Gideon had some stuff like that but Harrow does not.

I suspect the Kindle version will be updated when the paperback comes out next month.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I apparently don’t follow enough of the right people to know exactly what happened, but there was just a bunch of fandom drama that went down where a fan-art zine was being made for charity with a bunch of people contributing, but then some people had beef with some of the contributors because they were involved in other things that were ~*~problematic~*~ and there was online harassment and doxxing and now the zine is canceled. Good job everyone!

https://twitter.com/thenine_zine/status/1425248163229683712?s=21

https://twitter.com/thenine_zine/status/1425525148426260481?s=21

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Does that involve Tamsyn Muir or the Locked Tomb somehow, or did you mean to post that in the SF thread?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I think it was a zine all about the Locked Tomb trilogy (+).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Why do they have to use this absurd sanitised language instead of just saying 'there was a sex creep who made other contributors uncomfortable, too many people expressed displeasure so we booted the weirdo'?

If that is even what happened, it's 11.50 and I couldn't slog to the end of that blending of corporate press release and Oprah interview.