Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Both this and the Revolution Street Fight were excellent and almost added to my list but if you admit to liking too many matches from a company it is a sign you have never seen any good wrestling before.

ill own myself here, when i saw the stats in the op of the motyc thread i figured that basically every match aew put out was getting nominated, i didnt read the list. aew actually has put out a lot of really good matches. the only egregious nominations to me are probably aja kong vs ryo mizunami, serena deeb vs red velvet, and orange cassidy vs cezar bononi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
We're all just so proud to be able to recommend a proper American wrestling company again :patriot:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I've only watched like four aew matches this year and Arcade Anarchy was the best of them so that is the one I would say

WWE's best match is whichever one is the most WWE match they've had. It sounds like maybe that's the fiend/randy orton at mania

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I haven't really watched any wrestling in several years outside of the Rumble and Mania so I may have missed it if it happened but when was the last time a company did a match in a super market or fun park (think that crash holly hardcore match) or something fun like that.

I know about the UT V AJ match from ma IA taking place outdoors but that's all I can think of.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Custard Undies posted:

I haven't really watched any wrestling in several years outside of the Rumble and Mania so I may have missed it if it happened but when was the last time a company did a match in a super market or fun park (think that crash holly hardcore match) or something fun like that.

I know about the UT V AJ match from ma IA taking place outdoors but that's all I can think of.

AEW did two Stadium Stampedes. The first included the football field, a bar, a pool, a bell, and then came crashing down on the field. The second was briefly on the field, then a freezer, a bar, offices, a chair room and then spilled into the live area.

There's all of the Hardy Compound Deletion matches too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Team Taz vs Spooky Bois in an abandoned warehouse was pretty fun too.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Manwithastick posted:

What our potential MOTY candidates from AEW and WWE so far this year?

baker v rosa lights out

belair v banks mania night 1

STONE COLD 64 posted:

orange cassidy vs cezar bononi.

this was absolutely hilarious and moty for a different reason imo

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also wrestleuniverse has the street wrestling sub-division. Plus all of the DDT gimmick shows at like water parks and hot springs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

AEW did a similar 'cinematic' match with Sting and Darby Allin vs Brian Cage and Ricky Starks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Team Taz vs Spooky Bois in an abandoned warehouse was pretty fun too.

That ruled as did the Parking Lot fight but those seemed less like fun locations and more really cool locations. But still, cool matches!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MassRafTer posted:

That ruled as did the Parking Lot fight

was parking lot this year ?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

was parking lot this year ?

someone was also asking about matches from the last few years

e: for content, DDT also had a 4-way match in a sauna for a special one-match show recently. they started in the kid's daycare area.

e2: oh yeah every episode of chocopro lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ill own myself here, when i saw the stats in the op of the motyc thread i figured that basically every match aew put out was getting nominated, i didnt read the list. aew actually has put out a lot of really good matches. the only egregious nominations to me are probably aja kong vs ryo mizunami, serena deeb vs red velvet, and orange cassidy vs cezar bononi.

Kong Mizunami was very good. Far & away the standout Match of the women's tournament for me, though also a long way from best women's match.

MOTYC in MOTYC thread really doesn't mean a legit contender to be one of the matches of the year, it really just means a match you absolutely should make the time to watch. Where as if I used it literally nothing below 4.75 would get that. And then people would watch less cool wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Custard Undies posted:

Main event of DDT's Peter Pan 2020 Night 1 was Konosuke Takeshita vs Yoshihiko, a doll, in a Last Man Standing which took place in and around a cemetery.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Custard Undies posted:

Look up just about any Matt Hardy match from the "Broken Universe" or originating from "the Hardy Compound". He's really responsible for the return of "cinematic" matches over the last decade or so.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What was the origin of those old wrestling pictures with the caption like "(wrestler) with fan" but the "fan" was another wrestler? The reference always makes me laugh but I can't remember where it's from.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

What was the origin of those old wrestling pictures with the caption like "(wrestler) with fan" but the "fan" was another wrestler? The reference always makes me laugh but I can't remember where it's from.

Jeff Hardy taking a picture with Tanahashi

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What was the name of the company that ran in a NYC playground? Hoodslam?

Also did Human Tornado parlay his internet fame into an actual run anywhere of note?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

What was the name of the company that ran in a NYC playground? Hoodslam?

Also did Human Tornado parlay his internet fame into an actual run anywhere of note?

2KW. One time home of Santana and Ortiz.

Tornado never really got a run outside of PWG.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MTV star Human Tornado.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

u guys know any gay lady wrestlers

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

sliami posted:

Ashley Vox.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ashley vox's girlfriend

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks for the suggestions all :)

I forgot all about the Hardy Compound matches. I loved those.

I will check out the others suggested though :)

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

sliami posted:

Diamanté

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sliami posted:

nyla rose
leyla hirsch

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

sliami posted:

Sonya Deville.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sliami posted:

Solo Darling
Keira Hogan
Mercedes Martinez
Piper Niven
Tegan Nox
Veda Scott
Toni Storm
Dani Jordyn
Allie Kat
Jetta
Shayna Baszler

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is backyard wrestling still a thing? Are there even enough teenagers who like wrestling to make it a thing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Solo Darling
Keira Hogan
Mercedes Martinez
Piper Niven
Tegan Nox
Veda Scott
Toni Storm
Dani Jordyn
Allie Kat
Jetta
Shayna Baszler

Isn't Veda married to Speedball Bailey?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

bi counts ig

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is backyard wrestling still a thing? Are there even enough teenagers who like wrestling to make it a thing?

Yeah and the rise of YouTube and social media has made it more common than ever because people love seeing idiot teens cripple themselves yarding.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't Veda married to Speedball Bailey?

I was including bisexual people.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Lamuella posted:

I was including bisexual people.

dakota?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sliami posted:

Sonya Deville.

Nyla Rose has a wife, right?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

edogawa rando posted:

Sonya Deville.

Nyla Rose has a wife, right?

Nylas wife is also who makes all of her gear.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

sticklefifer posted:

When WWE would tour Japan, the WWE wrestlers would often end up meeting up with NJPW wrestlers. WWE would take photos of their stars with them, but rather than saying it's Jeff Hardy with Tanahashi, they'd say it's Hardy with a fan.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I could swear there were more examples of that outside of WWE. Though I might be conflating it with mislabeled pictures from conventions. I think there was a dirtsheet photo guy who spelled everyone's name wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

wonder whatever happened to that pasty lad in the back.