Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

Oh cool there’s a book of the month thread?

And it’s the thread stickied to the top where I should have seen it years ago?!

*starts reading book* THERE'S A FRONT PAGE?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Hello, I don't currently post in the "barn" as it's known locally by the locals, so this may be a stupid question, but is there a thread I'm not seeing where people recommend audiobooks specifically? I've been thinking of listening to some but it's easier to commit to something like that if you see even one human say "yes this was a good experience/a cool book to listen to". Sorry if this is something dumbasses come and do all the time.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

There's an audiobook thread which isn't the most active in the forum but has plenty of recs, and if you are interested in or looking for a particular genre etc people will definitely have ideas:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Enfys posted:

There's an audiobook thread which isn't the most active in the forum but has plenty of recs, and if you are interested in or looking for a particular genre etc people will definitely have ideas:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942

Hell yeah, this is the stuff, thanks.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1413497305542500359

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ugh twitter is poo poo. Their old crop method was garbage & they've apparently now decided on another that is also garbage. Gonna try direct embed:

Anyway, I wonder if a specific book set that off. Skimmed Wikipedia's 1912 in Literature & some years prior. Perhaps Howards End?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there a thread for indie bookstores to buy books from? I'd want to wean myself off of Amazon but they are just a big and known seller of books.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Just finished Maya Angelou's first autobiography and thought it was a fascinating read. How are the other six books in the series? If they're as strong as the first one, I'll make sure to get to them sooner rather than later.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Is there a thread for indie bookstores to buy books from? I'd want to wean myself off of Amazon but they are just a big and known seller of books.

I'm not sure how location dependent this is but you can search for books and authors here:

https://ethicalrevolution.co.uk/amazon-alternatives/

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

Try bookshop.org

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Are goon translations ever considered for Book of the Month status? Because
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972041

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

TV Zombie posted:

Biblio.com in the US is a clone of ABEbooks (which got bought by Amazon). Business model is that they are the front end of an online store for stores that otherwise might not get foot traffic/digital foot traffic.

Really pretty good for used books, and you can see the store's other inventory, if you want to 'shelf shop'.

For scifi/pulp, and similar, would throw out Dreamhaven Books in Minneapolis. (Caveat: I worked there like 15 years ago). They have a niche sideline of vintage smut, too which makes for great gifts if you have weirdo friends. 1950s 'under the counter' books.
Dreamhaven Books Minneapolis

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/PandasAndVidya/status/1416581721290596355?s=20

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i think i get bored by very descriptive books because i tend to immediately invent a mental image of a scene with some basic description upfront and going into further detail, unless it is unexpected or significant for reasons beyond painting a picture, just completely washes over me.

until lately i've put effort into going over the details when i'm reading a book that is descriptive, but i was just reading the purple cloud - an old last man on earth story - and the book turns into nothing but a litany of descriptions partway through as he wanders the ruined world, and i realised i could push ahead with this but i'm basically going to get nothing out of it i haven't already gotten from what i've read already, so i gave up on the book

that's not a good rule of thumb or anything, just for that book, but the general point about description is something that i don't think i'll ever shake. you tell me there's a sunset, i have my own idea of what that is like and unless this one is seriously divergent, half a page describing it isn't going to overwrite that and i will get bored.

i'm not talking detail in all areas, just in description of the physical. i know that a good writer will use their description to create mood or express character, but even then, i prefer it to be brief or done another way. i just learned the word aphantasia and that isn't what this is, because i create mental images really easily, i think i just have a bandwidth limit on how much language i can use as a basis for that before i am desensitised.

anyway just something i was thinking about.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 20, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

roomtone posted:

i think i get bored by very descriptive books because i tend to immediately invent a mental image of a scene with some basic description upfront and going into further detail, unless it is unexpected or significant for reasons beyond painting a picture, just completely washes over me.

until lately i've put effort into going over the details when i'm reading a book that is descriptive, but i was just reading the purple cloud - an old last man on earth story - and the book turns into nothing but a litany of descriptions partway through as he wanders the ruined world, and i realised i could push ahead with this but i'm basically going to get nothing out of it i haven't already gotten from what i've read already, so i gave up on the book

that's not a good rule of thumb or anything, just for that book, but the general point about description is something that i don't think i'll ever shake. you tell me there's a sunset, i have my own idea of what that is like and unless this one is seriously divergent, half a page describing it isn't going to overwrite that and i will get bored.

i'm not talking detail in all areas, just in description of the physical. i know that a good writer will use their description to create mood or express character, but even then, i prefer it to be brief or done another way. i just learned the word aphantasia and that isn't what this is, because i create mental images really easily, i think i just have a bandwidth limit on how much language i can use as a basis for that before i am desensitised.

I got real good at glossing over scenery and wardrobe when reading the second book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series. Everyone I know in IRL life whose read the books say they did that too.

But then I quit anyway because it's just really boring in every way. I'll get back to it one day if I don't die before that, which I'm hoping for.

E: RE: Girugamesh: #whoa #wow

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think people's brains worked different back then. We've been rewired by the internet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Harry Turtledove has a way better and more active Twitter than you think he might

https://mobile.twitter.com/HNTurtledove

Genuinely surprised.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Harry Turtledove has a way better and more active Twitter than you think he might

https://mobile.twitter.com/HNTurtledove

Genuinely surprised.

I ended up unfollowing him because he tweets so much it was dominating my twitter. He tweets a ton.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

roomtone posted:

this post has me thinking. i'm not sure how much i like description/vs... action?? but its food for thought. out of interest, what would be your counterpoint? how would you describe what pulls you in and keeps you going and doesn't wash over you but rather gets into ya?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Megazver posted:

I think people's brains worked different back then. We've been rewired by the internet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EwdatsGROSS/status/1413518842060582915

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most things on the Internet bore me big time stylee so that doesn't compute.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most things on the Internet bore me big time stylee so that doesn't compute.

idk if you were boring before the internet, but you certainly are now!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Marc Laidlaw of Half Life fame wrote a couple of Fantasy books and they need to be more widely read, he made them temporarily free because he's apparently sold very few copies (like less than a hundred).

I read Underneath The Oversea and it's a very good, fun fantasy adventure, and I'm about to start the second book (which was written first? and happens before Oversea)

Cmon, you can't go wrong with this price, he's a great writer, and I loved that book, it's criminal that it hasn't become a bestseller. (I think it's the cover, too abstract maybe, but I promise this is fun). If you're into fantasy, give it a shot and leave it a review.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0914ZMHH9?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition&ref_=dbs_s_aps_series_rwt_tkin&qid=1627176428&sr=8-1
(This link was taken straight from his twitter, I don't make anything off of it)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Can't beat the price of 'free'! Nabbed.

You should post about it on /r/fantasy, it's more or less the biggest fantasy community online with many actual authors as posters there. It'll get some eyeballs on the books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/KPFinnerty/status/1421516736529059841?s=20

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Is the Book Barn discord server still active? Who are the mods in it?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

quantumfoam posted:

yes Mrenda and Sham iirc

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

hard pass then, thanks.

If anyone likes weird literary associated meltdowns, whoever runs the Project Gutenberg Canada website has been having a extended meltdown for quite some time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quantumfoam posted:

It's still around. https://discord.gg/55kuTp9q is the link.

Unfortunately the only active mods are myself and Mrenda and neither of us have the time to really be active mods in it. Right now at least I'm just relying on everyone's good faith to not gently caress it up. In the meanwhile for moderated discussion we still have the forum.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The discussion in the discord is pretty chill and barely needs moderation IMO. It’s a good place to hang out, so please join us goons.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

quantumfoam posted:

hard pass then, thanks.

If anyone likes weird literary associated meltdowns, whoever runs the Project Gutenberg Canada website has been having a extended meltdown for quite some time.

Holy poo poo http://gutenberg.ca/index.html looks like a geocities rant.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He's right.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yep.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
About Canada being a new colony of America?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

His Twitter is amazing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hey does anyone have a link to the old king arthur related thread where some goon/goons broke down each of the knights and their stories? I think a big piece of it was all the weird supernatural powers each knight was written to have had. I remember it being really entertaining and wanted to revisit it now that the green knight is out in theaters

my archives searching has failed me

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

lifg posted:

Holy poo poo http://gutenberg.ca/index.html looks like a geocities rant.

It's absolutely surreal to read a website formatted like this, but making a reality-based argument instead of pure Thoughts From Mars

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jerkface posted:

Hey does anyone have a link to the old king arthur related thread where some goon/goons broke down each of the knights and their stories? I think a big piece of it was all the weird supernatural powers each knight was written to have had. I remember it being really entertaining and wanted to revisit it now that the green knight is out in theaters

my archives searching has failed me
There's this but I don't think it's the thread you mean:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started to read a book in Swedish and ran into the problem that the print in my Swedish-Finnish dictionary is so small I can't read it anymore. It's not like I still couldn't read the novel and get the story but I hate it when I run into a word I don't know and can't immediately look it up.

:corsair:

e: It is a rather small dictionary but I was able to use it last year :(

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I started to read a book in Swedish and ran into the problem that the print in my Swedish-Finnish dictionary is so small I can't read it anymore. It's not like I still couldn't read the novel and get the story but I hate it when I run into a word I don't know and can't immediately look it up.

:corsair:

e: It is a rather small dictionary but I was able to use it last year :(

is that a pack of matches for scale?

No reading glasses made would help me with that. Get a proper book (or just use the internet)