Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s one thing to try and address or raise questions about like, his views on information control on a broader scale or something like that in a subtle way, but this is straight up... dumb.

Tamers is one of my favorite shows and a huge part of my childhood, so this sucks. I’d say it hurts but it’s just so stupid that all I can do is shrug and laugh. I’d still like to see it (a third out of obligation and two thirds out of whatever makes me want to watch and laugh at bad evangelical movies), but I ain’t torrenting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He's right.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Go on. Elaborate.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Why can't anime make politics cool and fun like Ghost in the Shell did

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, I no longer want a Tamers sequel anymore (or at least, not one that Konaka is involved with)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:lmao: This is much worse than when Uderzo used an Asterix album to do an old man rant about how manga had invaded the western comic market.

At first it's just Yamaki spewing that chud crap, with the others not really buying it, which could be read as making fun of the character or Konaka slipping his awful opinions as best as he can, but then it turns out he was absolutely right and the enemy is the materialization of internet's "political correctness".

Although I admit now I want to see someone doing fanart of the Political Correctness activated Cancel Culture! scene.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I really wonder what the rest of the people involved in this thought. Konaka’s beliefs about Covid conspiracies (which aren’t 100% clear but he at the very least believes the anti lockdown/‘the governments trying to control us’ stuff) aren’t exactly mainstream in Japan, at least nowhere near the level of somewhere like America.
And someone higher up in Toei had to have signed off on this, for some reason. I know it’s not technically official and was never meant to be heard outside of the event, but it was still AT the event.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

We did it! Adventure is no longer the most tainted season!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly he's basically mostly right, he's just using facebook dad language to express it. It's not really worth getting up in arms about or saying it ruins tamers or lain or anything.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

He's right.

It's incredibly ham handed bc it's being written by a 60 year old man but the point of overcorrection to fake news can be just as bad as misinformation itself is truthful.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Go on. Elaborate.

Idk man, look at all the people immediately disowning everything Chiaki J Konaka has ever done likely without actually having watched the thing :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you only need to look at poo poo like that attack helicopter short story where it was a trans author trying to explore militarization of queer identity via an insult directed at trans people, but people saw the Bad Words so they immediately ruined that lady's life and harassed her so much she completely detransitioned and never wrote again, to get that like, yeah, online group think trying to snuff out 'bad' opinions kinda sucks. He's not exactly wrong to say that. The part where it gets stupid is how hamfisted it is and how he uses the most loaded possible language.

But people acting like he went on some rant about how he hates minorities are being ridiculous.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

Not everything he's trying to say is wrong, but he is 100% absolutely saying it for the wrong reasons. You don't gotta defend his honour.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well, after watching that, I can honestly say I am no longer disappointed the man stopped making anime around 2006.

And weirdly, it's a lot less obnoxious to see him flailing around wrecking Tamers, probably because this bizarre screed is limited to a stage play instead of a really big budget movie that got tons of marketing and was pushed to the moon as some pivotal turning point in the story of the season. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Tamers already had a satisfying "life goes on" kind of ending in the timeline with Movie 6. Nobody needed this weird extension to try and struggle towards an ending for the show because Tamers didn't have an unsatisfying 02-style undeserving epilogue, it finished strong the first time and kept the door open for happy ending.

This? It's pathetic and sad, but it's also completely disposable.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 3, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Marluxia posted:

Not everything he's trying to say is wrong, but he is 100% absolutely saying it for the wrong reasons. You don't gotta defend his honour.
how do you know that? hes never once expressed any really hateful opinions. you can accuse the dude of being a bit conspiracy minded but 'well 9/11 seems a bit iffy but i cant find any one answer that makes sense so whatever' is hardly the most deranged thing out there. like seriously ive gone through his blog, dudes motivations seem to be entirely 'its bad youtube can take content down unilaterally' (which, while there's a lot of stuff youtube has taken down that deserved it, its not wrong to say we shouldn't really trust a corporation with that power) and 'twitter's factchecking stuff is pretty terrible.' (which is objectively true)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

But people acting like he went on some rant about how he hates minorities are being ridiculous.

He was saving that for the sequel

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Endorph posted:

how do you know that? hes never once expressed any really hateful opinions. you can accuse the dude of being a bit conspiracy minded but 'well 9/11 seems a bit iffy but i cant find any one answer that makes sense so whatever' is hardly the most deranged thing out there. like seriously ive gone through his blog, dudes motivations seem to be entirely 'its bad youtube can take content down unilaterally' (which, while there's a lot of stuff youtube has taken down that deserved it, its not wrong to say we shouldn't really trust a corporation with that power) and 'twitter's factchecking stuff is pretty terrible.' (which is objectively true)

I don't think he hates minorities. But I really don't like that the sources he thinks are being censored and hidden are the crazy covid poo poo. You shouldn't signal boost that poo poo!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn’t it mentioned earlier that he’s a covid denier and/or antimasker as well or am I remembering wrong

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's up thread or on a previous page I think

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t it mentioned earlier that he’s a covid denier and/or antimasker as well or am I remembering wrong

Nodosaur posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/onkeikun/status/1409805201142333440?s=20

A well known translator for the fandom found his blog and he’s posting a lot of stuff from right wing sites that have Covid denial and anti-vaxxer poo poo on them

I'm going off this yeah.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cool, gently caress that guy then

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going off his blog he literally calls it COVID 1984, which, lol, but also he seems to think the disease is real and agree with most social measures in place against it. a lot of what he says on his blog is that he doesnt agree with a lot of what those antivax people are saying but also thinks them being able to unilaterally be blasted off the internet is bad. which is a much different conversation than what people are framing it as.

and the assertion that something being deleted off the internet means it cant be real data is pretty ludicrous.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

Whether or not this is true, making the big bad "Political Correctness" is the wrong way to address this, because that's 100% a dogwhistle for "I'm facing consequences for being a raging rear end in a top hat"

Endorph posted:

and the assertion that something being deleted off the internet means it cant be real data is pretty ludicrous.

By the same token, the assertion that something being deleted off the internet means it has to be true is equally, if not more ludicrous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Whether or not this is true, making the big bad "Political Correctness" is the wrong way to address this, because that's 100% a dogwhistle for "I'm facing consequences for being a raging rear end in a top hat"
political correctness is definitely an extremely loaded term in English but dudes grasp of us politics and culture seems tenuous at best despite him knowing an okay amount of English.

again im not saying you cant criticize it for being hamhanded, stupid, or facebook dad levels of weirdness, or say the dude isnt a crank, all of thats true, just that im not seeing the masssive 'this is monstrous alt-right naziism' stuff that other people are, or seeing how its bad enough to completely ruin everything hes ever been involved in. its basically exactly what id expect the writer of lain to be like at 60.

Some Numbers posted:

By the same token, the assertion that something being deleted off the internet means it has to be true is equally, if not more ludicrous.
neither i nor konaka ever made that assertion. like i said, in his blog he says he disagrees with a lot of it. his stance is that even if something is deceitful or a lie, or contains abhorrent opinions, its bad for big tech companies to be the ones deciding what is and isnt that and what deserves to be deleted.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ya know tbh this all kinda follows logically cuz lain was kind of all about how the internet effects reality so deleting stuff off the internet must by that nature be an attempt to make that stuff unreal

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

neither i nor konaka ever made that assertion. like i said, in his blog he says he disagrees with a lot of it. his stance is that even if something is deceitful or a lie, or contains abhorrent opinions, its bad for big tech companies to be the ones deciding what is and isnt that and what deserves to be deleted.

So who does get to make that call? Because the government doing it is against the 1st Amendment and the kind of government "overreach" that right wingers love to rail against.

But the company itself shouldn't be allowed to regulate its own stuff? Should we all get to say whatever we want with no consequences?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

So who does get to make that call? Because the government doing it is against the 1st Amendment and the kind of government "overreach" that right wingers love to rail against.

But the company itself shouldn't be allowed to regulate its own stuff? Should we all get to say whatever we want with no consequences?
I mean, the government shouldn't be censoring speech, no. I also don't think google has our best interests at heart. In an ideal world I don't think this stuff should exist either but are you saying you trust google to decide what is and isnt appropriate for you to see? In an ideal world of course there'd also be multiple platforms with different standards but A) that would mean this content still exists so it wouldn't really solve your problem and B) the fact is youtube has an extreme monopoly on easily accessible video content.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Endorph posted:

I genuinely agree with all of those sentiments and was hoping that was it but, uh... the stuff about “I‘ll keep my eye this so-called vaccine” and the Great Reset, and his primary news source since rejecting mainstream news being TalkRADIO and UK Column.. yeah, he I think he’s probably coming at it from a more biased place. The actual stuff your talking about could make for an interesting anime (still not so sure about it as a Digimon Tamers plot) but even then it would have to be done better than whatever this is.

That said, I’d personally rather people just leave him alone and move on instead of making a huge deal out of it and seemingly proving his point.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don’t think overlapping with good opinions means you gotta give it to the guy. It’s more than a little doubtful that the kind of content he’s worried about being censored includes any marginalized groups.

And while I haven’t seen the play itself beyond the screen caps shared but it sounds like the premise uh, sucks? Like as a story “cancel culture is an evil force and will destroy the world” is boring as hell for a sequel to Digimon Tamers. Get outta here with that sub-Sinfest poo poo! Thank god you and every media personality posting on Twitter were hip to this hot news or else I never would’ve experienced such a narrative. It’s such a well trodden ground and full of disingenuous arguments that the idea alone is groan worthy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah like i said, dude's a crank, I'm not arguing that point. I'm just saying there's a lot of space between vaccine skepticism and soft 9/11 trutherism and being alt-right.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

And while I haven’t seen the play itself beyond the screen caps shared but it sounds like the premise uh, sucks? Like as a story “cancel culture is an evil force and will destroy the world” is boring as hell for a sequel to Digimon Tamers. Get outta here with that sub-Sinfest poo poo! Thank god you and every media personality posting on Twitter were hip to this hot news or else I never would’ve experienced such a narrative. It’s such a well trodden ground and full of disingenuous arguments that the idea alone is groan worthy.

It's not very interesting, no. It's a sequel to Tamers 2018 that happens three years later but absolutely nothing has changed in those three years. Takato and Renamon are still lost and the story has not really moved forward in any way. The only genuinely nice moment is Impmon apologising to Juri for killing Leomon, and Juri accepting his apologies and joining up with him to fight Political Correctness (it's implied that Impmon once again ended up fighting with and running away from Ai and Mako, though Impmon refuses to elaborate). It just feels like a waste of time, a part of a story that can't ever develop because it's stuck as random half-hour voice dramas that happen every few years, and they can't even fully follow from each other, since the Malice Bot plot is only vaguely alluded to here in favour of this bizarre criticism of modern internet culture.

In short,
https://mobile.twitter.com/RogoSprout/status/1422596105804603395

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 3, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think it's a tad Americanocentric to put annyone who says the words cancel culture into the chud bin personally

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I think it's a tad Americanocentric to put annyone who says the words cancel culture into the chud bin personally

Konaka was always disappointed that americans and japanese read lain the same way. Now using nothing but blog posts on the internet hes achieved his dream

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Did a reasonable number of people actually call Konaka a nazi or even alt-right? The worst accusations i've seen are him being anti-vax and a right-wing conspiracy theorist.

I don't think we need to hand it to a guy who seemingly wants to die on this particular hill. There are points to be made about big tech censorship, but deleting COVID denying material off of the internet is not "political correctness" or "cancel culture". Those are very different concepts from google or governments wanting to cover up the wrong viewpoint. Maybe the crank boomer is simply using the wrong words to describe a different problem he wants to talk about, and accidentally created a script perfect for Fox News.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
my opinion is that the reading was stupid but konaka shouldn't be tarred and feather for it until he says/portrays some truly vile poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

Did a reasonable number of people actually call Konaka a nazi or even alt-right?
just look at the quote tweets on that stuff lol

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
with all the energy people are giving at calling konaka a nazi they could instead be using it to point out what a piece of poo poo oda is for busting out the toriko and kenshin authors

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Endorph posted:

just look at the quote tweets on that stuff lol

lmao using tweets, really?

But yeah, fair, some people here have been calling him alt-right/chud. He's just being really dumb here and putting people at risk.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

with all the energy people are giving at calling konaka a nazi they could instead be using it to point out what a piece of poo poo oda is for busting out the toriko and kenshin authors

Hell, the Kenshin author apparently still has a JOB in the manga industry last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What a loving thing to come back to.