Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Grizzlymon is one of two blockers available in blue, so it gets a lot of play. It will go down in play soon, though, because the other blocker has one less evolution cost, which is a big deal for deck building

https://twitter.com/frogkaro/status/1422660456502734851?s=21

gently caress this tweet for reminding me that Angela Anaconda exists :suicide:. But more importantly, gently caress Konaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/bunannart/status/1422700143447527427?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terriermon was a mouthy little poo poo, so no wonder he got cancelled by Twitter.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Terriermon believes that the COVID restrictions are part of a plot to take away his Gun Hands.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i did the extremely illegal thing and actually watched the clip and what happens is the fbi guy barges in to yell about cancel culture and the kids go 'dude we arent on twitter all day what the gently caress are you talking about,' and then there's the evil cancel culture beam but its played as a total nonthreatening joke of 'well i guess this is a problem but we dont really care and it only affects you if you're on youtube 20 hours a day'

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

i did the extremely illegal thing and actually watched the clip and what happens is the fbi guy barges in to yell about cancel culture and the kids go 'dude we arent on twitter all day what the gently caress are you talking about,' and then there's the evil cancel culture beam but its played as a total nonthreatening joke of 'well i guess this is a problem but we dont really care and it only affects you if you're on youtube 20 hours a day'

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like in context its framed as something that affects the digital world but its also framed as something that *only* affects the digital world. like its a problem but its more of a joke about how old men are grumpy about it while kids dont care

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like to clarify the 'political correctness' monster activates 'cancel culture' and then nothing happens and it leaves

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm glad everybody was reasonable and decided to disown a man based on half-truths and hearsay. Almost as though they were following a script based on previous experiences and the behaviours of others, a type of culture one might say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres definitely a subtext of it mattering as proven by his blog and i think he thinks its a bad thing but it also is not at all the unhinged rightwing rant people framed it as. its more just an internet joke aimed at adults in the 20th anniversary of an internet themed thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What the gently caress are you talking about, Yamaki? Culu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

digimon tamers but momentai is replaced with 'log off'

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/yamaki_nyx/status/1422738784064479232

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No, dig UP, stupid!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

No, dig UP, stupid!
yeah he should just sit there and let us call him a nazi over something we made up

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah he should just sit there and let us call him a nazi over something we made up

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm just terrified he's going to say something that'll make it even worse given his recent history of belching out more big online boomer energy than Chernobyl Reactor #4 spewed out actual radioactive fallout. We shall see...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

never look into anything about Jim Caviezal if you want to enjoy Person of Interest

You can still enjoy stuff even if the people behind it are bad

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

You can still enjoy stuff even if the people behind it are bad

If you couldn't, I have bad news about almost all media

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think a lot of media is made by generally decent people, because most people are generally decent

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

i think a lot of media is made by generally decent people, because most people are generally decent

A knock-on benefit of the actually lovely people involved in media production having increasingly fewer qualms about letting you know how lovely they in fact are. The bad ones are more than happy to self-identify.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

I think is doing a lot of work in this sentence

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

That's....certainly a statement.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I'm actually pretty curious to see what he says, because between reading the reception on Twitter and Reddit, it is absolutely amazing that he managed to handle this so inelegantly that a lot of the discourse there is between the extremes of "he's alt-right, digimon ruined" or "based, he's sticking it to those woke SJWs (don't look at my twitter/post history with slurs)"

If he had a point to make, there had to have been a better and even a more funny way to do it than an enemy powering up their cancel culture ki or some poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm glad everybody was reasonable and decided to disown a man based on half-truths and hearsay. Almost as though they were following a script based on previous experiences and the behaviours of others, a type of culture one might say.

Nah I watched the thing and still thinks it sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burkion posted:

I think is doing a lot of work in this sentence

Some Numbers posted:

That's....certainly a statement.

*chuddishly* i have faith in the inherent goodness of humanity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

I'm actually pretty curious to see what he says, because between reading the reception on Twitter and Reddit, it is absolutely amazing that he managed to handle this so inelegantly that a lot of the discourse there is between the extremes of "he's alt-right, digimon ruined" or "based, he's sticking it to those woke SJWs (don't look at my twitter/post history with slurs)"

If he had a point to make, there had to have been a better and even a more funny way to do it than an enemy powering up their cancel culture ki or some poo poo
it really had nothing to do with how he handled it and everything to do with it being presented with a disclaimer about how TERRIBLE it is and being presented completely out of context.

like i mentioned the entire bit is literally yamaki talking about how its the GREATEST THREAT FACING THE DIGITAL AGE and everyone going 'was he always this weird?' and 'can i go?' but conveniently all the bits where the characters make fun of it or its played as a joke were cut out of the screencaps floating around. you can still think its lame and bad even with that context but its still very important context that was completely stripped from it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

If you couldn't, I have bad news about almost all media

Or engaging in society or buy anything

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

*chuddishly* i have faith in the inherent goodness of humanity

You're putting a lot of weight on something that wasn't even directed at you

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

it really had nothing to do with how he handled it and everything to do with it being presented with a disclaimer about how TERRIBLE it is and being presented completely out of context.

like i mentioned the entire bit is literally yamaki talking about how its the GREATEST THREAT FACING THE DIGITAL AGE and everyone going 'was he always this weird?' and 'can i go?' but conveniently all the bits where the characters make fun of it or its played as a joke were cut out of the screencaps floating around. you can still think its lame and bad even with that context but its still very important context that was completely stripped from it.

I thought it was a joke during that moment of the voice drama too, though it was a pretty cringey joke that definitely used Yamaki's character terribly (though even in-universe the characters comment about Yamaki being terribly OOC). The issue is that then literal personified Political Correctness appears and attacks them with Cancel Culture.

All of it may be a joke, sure. If so, it's not a particularly funny one - though Tamers 2021 is not a particularly well-written piece of media regardless, and it's honestly surprising after the way better Tamers 2018. It was uncomfortable to watch, and this is coming from someone that thought the warnings and whatnot from the subbing group were a bit extreme.

I still want to wait to see what Konaka says, especially considering that anything I know about his ideology comes from second-hand sources since I can't read Japanese. Even his somewhat broken English should give a better view of what he actually believes. Part of this is me wanting to trust the person that wrote one of my favourite series ever, sure, but I think I'd rather see with my own eyes what he thinks. If it does line up to what other people say, and what Tamers 2021 showed, then...yeah, not a lot I can do but accept he's gone down a pretty awful rabbit hole. But Tamers 2021 is so absurd it may genuinely have been just a joke, in which case, he needs to stick to the drama because he's really not funny. And to serialized stories because Tamers 2021 was pretty bad in general and I wish it followed the Malice Bot plot from Tamers 2018, but I'm going off-topic there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Literal personified political correctness appears and attacks them with cancel culture, but it's pretty underplayed as a threat and it kind of just leaves after. Like the basic stance seems to be that ti exists but is massively overblown and only really matters if you're terminally online, which feels like a pretty reasonable take to me.

I thought the joke with Yamaki ranting and everyone going 'what' was kind of funny, but I do agree the joke lost its point when it started getting more literal. And also, very much agreed on it being a completely bizarre thing to put together for the 20th anniversary and being a weird addition to the plot, no arguments there. I'm definitely not sitting here and saying it's perfect and uncriticizable.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

I don't really think the full context really makes it that much better though. I mean sure, it may alleviate the immediate alt-right concerns to "extremely clumsy and heavy handed joke," but it's not going to do anything to platforms like goddamn TheQuartering being "yes, this is what Digimon needed all along; an enemy called Political Correctness to use Cancel Culture Attack because x, y, z"

Like, at this point I'm holding off my thoughts to hear him out because I'm still in a position of "but... why even do it like this, here, of all places" poo poo is just weird

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Literal personified political correctness appears and attacks them with cancel culture, but it's pretty underplayed as a threat and it kind of just leaves after. Like the basic stance seems to be that ti exists but is massively overblown and only really matters if you're terminally online, which feels like a pretty reasonable take to me.

I thought the joke with Yamaki ranting and everyone going 'what' was kind of funny, but I do agree the joke lost its point when it started getting more literal. And also, very much agreed on it being a completely bizarre thing to put together for the 20th anniversary and being a weird addition to the plot, no arguments there. I'm definitely not sitting here and saying it's perfect and uncriticizable.

I mean that doesn't read like the joke is on Yamaki, it reads like he's the sane man talking about what matters while everyone else is dumb for ignoring it especially if it then immediately pops up and uh proves him right by attacking. Which is a super, super common archetype in polemics.

I dunno, I'm not going to tar and feather him or anything especially as I'm hearing all of this second-hand but the way you're describing it doesn't feel that much better than what people were saying? I guess a lot depends on tone and more context though. After the attack do people still treat the whole thing like it was a joke and Yamaki was overreacting or do they treat it seriously?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

I don't really think the full context really makes it that much better though. I mean sure, it may alleviate the immediate alt-right concerns to "extremely clumsy and heavy handed joke," but it's not going to do anything to platforms like goddamn TheQuartering being "yes, this is what Digimon needed all along; an enemy called Political Correctness to use Cancel Culture Attack because x, y, z"
who cares what actual alt-right types say about it? theyre going to say stuff like that regardless.

Zore posted:

I mean that doesn't read like the joke is on Yamaki, it reads like he's the sane man talking about what matters while everyone else is dumb for ignoring it especially if it then immediately pops up and uh proves him right by attacking. Which is a super, super common archetype in polemics.

I dunno, I'm not going to tar and feather him or anything especially as I'm hearing all of this second-hand but the way you're describing it doesn't feel that much better than what people were saying? I guess a lot depends on tone and more context though. After the attack do people still treat the whole thing like it was a joke and Yamaki was overreacting or do they treat it seriously?
it isn't really 'oh no, we were wrong!!,' even when it attacks its only treated as 'well i guess this is affecting the digital world,' and like i said it isn't really presented as a major threat. it basically just does it and leaves. yamaki definitely isn't treated as like, this vindicated prophet who was right all along.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Calling it. It's gonna be some self congratulating screed about how everyone flying off the handle proves his point or some horsecrap.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So like, Konaka is still a covid conspiracist. That hasn’t changed at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

So like, Konaka is still a covid conspiracist. That hasn’t changed at all
not really i read his blog and hes a bit skeptical about the vaccines but he thinks covid is real and agrees with most of the social measures in place to curb it. people posted 'covid-1984' and poo poo but he was using that as an example of things hes heard other people go off about.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Even with the rosiest of outlooks on the situation, "I deliberately provoked everyone with the thing they really like and I had the studio's backing to do it, go me." Is still not a good look.

Its certanly less than "Look at me turn your childhood heroes into my chud puppets to push my anti-vaxx agenda", sure, but its still egregious in its own right.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 4, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like part of the reaction in the west is because people are looking at it through an American politics lens. It's understandable why you'd assume the worst when you hear "chiaki j konaka covid conspiracist political correctness cancel culture" given everything that's happened in the past year and a half but it really seems like he was just making a really misguided and dumb joke to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think it's fine to lose respect for him for this if you want. But I think it's important to make your decision with the facts first, and not an internet telephone game