Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JohnClark posted:

Do most of you have a favorite rider that you cheer for against everyone else?
I'm always happy to see someone other than the usual suspects win. Miller gets a spot in my heart, as does Nakagami. Both are good riders who deserve more podiums than they're getting. But most of all I want to see a good race with a tight lead group where you can't really tell who's going to win until the last few corners. If the racing's good it doesn't matter who wins.

Not to cheer for someone getting injured, but I think Marquez being away from racing for a year has been good for MotoGP as a whole. It was getting pretty stale when a lot of races were "MM gets the hole shot and has a 2-3 second lead after one lap then coasts unchallenged to a first place again."

I must say Viñales' behavior after his second place lowered my opinion of him. Maybe he's the one who should hang the helmet up and go play golf instead of Quartararo. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No race at Philip Island, returning to Portimão instead.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone watch supermoto gp?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18mBWK8OD94

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did, no idea who anyone is or what any of it means but it was awesome.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I did, no idea who anyone is or what any of it means but it was awesome.

Same

I love the dainty front wheels.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

This was excellent. The final race paid off.

Why would there be a sound / dB limit?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk what the specifics are but big singles are BRUTALLY loud in a pack. The motards are always the noisiest, most painful to listen to race at any given round, and this is including both superbike and post classics where two strokes are common. The motards are just much loving louder, I guess cause they're really big spaced out pulses of sound instead of lots of little ones rapid firing.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I've been thinking about this for a while. Generally folks enamored with speed on wheels (2 or 4) will eventually learn to "hot rod" their rides warranties and nanny software be damned... When it all goes electric will it be easier to save the tracks as then drag strips/racetracks will be relatively quite and take away one of the largest NIMBY shouting points of a noisy track? I honestly haven't looked but does anyone know the decibel level or if the electric race bikes have been measured/tested for noise the same way ICE bikes have?

Not having the noise/smell of ICE cars/bikes does leave me at least feeling a bit less visceral about watching racing live, as we go all electric will there be enough folks involved to keep racing going and maybe have a bit of a revival? (new tracks etc.)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Watch a Moto E race. It's a herd of TIE Fighters chewing up tires for 7 laps, running like a Moto3 race.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The lean angles on those supermotos defies reality.

Slavvy posted:

Idk what the specifics are but big singles are BRUTALLY loud in a pack. The motards are always the noisiest, most painful to listen to race at any given round, and this is including both superbike and post classics where two strokes are common. The motards are just much loving louder, I guess cause they're really big spaced out pulses of sound instead of lots of little ones rapid firing.

I was on a group ride once with a wide range of bikes and was surprised to find that even with ear plugs I could hear the thumpers drowning out the others.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thai GP cancelled https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/07/21/2021-thai-gp-cancelled/382755

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not to worry they can have a 3rd race at Redbull ring.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Pedrosa confirmed to wildcard for KTM and Crutchlow sub for Morbidelli likely? Could be great, could be an absolute disaster, I don't care... :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I give it 50/50 odds pedrosa makes the full time KTM riders look like poo poo.

Skreemer posted:

I've been thinking about this for a while. Generally folks enamored with speed on wheels (2 or 4) will eventually learn to "hot rod" their rides warranties and nanny software be damned... When it all goes electric will it be easier to save the tracks as then drag strips/racetracks will be relatively quite and take away one of the largest NIMBY shouting points of a noisy track? I honestly haven't looked but does anyone know the decibel level or if the electric race bikes have been measured/tested for noise the same way ICE bikes have?

Not having the noise/smell of ICE cars/bikes does leave me at least feeling a bit less visceral about watching racing live, as we go all electric will there be enough folks involved to keep racing going and maybe have a bit of a revival? (new tracks etc.)

Electric racing is badass in person and the only people who care will be too old to matter. 20yo kids today don't whine about the lack of two stroke smoke and ear piercing power bands and carb fiddling in pitlane because 'performance' for them is a complex fuel injected four stroke. You can't miss something you've never experienced and honestly, a lot of this stuff is cultural/contextual and the bikes often sound and smell like poo poo, objectively speaking.

People hotrod gameboys and guitars and joysticks and poo poo, lack of combustion won't change anything.

I was having a related discussion with a mate about the idea of simply banning motorbikes outright - you can take them from my cold dead hands, unless everyone else's are also taken away which is fine. But then I realized it's basically impossible to enforce, because the first thing I'd do is buy an e-bike and set about figuring out how to modify it for more speed and corner grip. Motorbikes are a philosophical virus that can't be cured.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
New subforum quote

Slavvy posted:

Motorbikes are a philosophical virus that can't be cured.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I give it 50/50 odds pedrosa makes the full time KTM riders look like poo poo.

it's definitely possible but seems really unlikely considering how fast this generation is and he's not been in a race in over 2 years and it's not like the tires got easier for a lighter rider to warm up. iker and petrucci are probably hosed but i like olivera and binders chances against him

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think this generation aren't anywhere near as fast as circumstances make it appear, imo the tyres and other rule changes have compressed the field massively which makes it seem like they're all super fast, which was then exacerbated by Marquez' absence + repeated races at the same tracks which helps some of the dodos a lot. Note that at the races with difficult circumstances and little preparation, only a small handful of the new guys are really fast.

Was pedrosa better than zarco? Cause zarco is currently 2nd in the championship and wiping the floor with younger riders. I don't think he's better than pedrosa, so it's really a question of where the midget's condition and training level are at.

Petrucci was always mediocre, iker is hopeless. Oliveira is the only genuinely quality rider ktm have in the premier class, binder has been surprisingly disappointing.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

This summer break is depressingly long :(

and Ihave been unable to really get into wsbk

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There's f1 this weekend if you need some sort of vrooms to hold you over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

There's f1 this weekend if you need some sort of vrooms to hold you over.

If he can't get into sbk, F1 would put him in a coma

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've always had trouble getting into wsbk for some reason. Granted I was an F1 fan first and motogp is easy to get excited about, but I agree with you that the F1 melodrama can take a few races to get into. For first time fans I usually tell them to watch the Netflix documentary first which does a very good job introducing the sport without getting too far in the weeds.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah I've been following F1 - but there is barely any actual racing...

it is mostly talking about tire wear, kneeling against racism in various countries with oppressive regimes, and the teams emailing the FIA about RULES or w/e.

F2 seems better.

I am catching up on Romaniacs today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I've always had trouble getting into wsbk for some reason. Granted I was an F1 fan first and motogp is easy to get excited about, but I agree with you that the F1 melodrama can take a few races to get into. For first time fans I usually tell them to watch the Netflix documentary first which does a very good job introducing the sport without getting too far in the weeds.

I think sbk is hard to get into because it's almost completely static once the season starts. The bikes don't change, the performance level is basically fixed so once you get a feel for the effects track layout/conditions has on the various bikes, all you're basically watching for is how close any given rider can get to their theoretically optimal result. There are almost never any surprises because the level is high and everyone is getting the most out of their bikes most of the time. So you tend to see neat and tidy finish orders that look like KKYDYDBBHH, almost perfectly sorted by performance!

F1 from the outside appears to devolve into lawsuits and polemic every time actual racing accidentally occurs, which is only ever on the first lap.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my pitch:

SBK has always been where the washups go from MotoGP, if you couldn't find a decent MotoGP bike you went and race superbikes. Now that there are like 5 competitive bikes in MotoGP you just stay and goto Suzuki or KTM, where as back in the day you'd go provide fresh blood for World Superbike so it feels like the riders in WSBK are just the same, and not as good as Rea.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My rebuttal:

The level in wsbk has gotten ridiculously high in recent years and it's pretty much down to the GP washouts making people look like poo poo.

Bautista was a mid-pack guy at best in GP, he absolutely dominated his first sbk season and would have easily left rae in the dust if Ducati management didn't start doing what they do and basically undermined him until he crumbled under the pressure. There was a notable shift in bike design and riding technique after this that is still rippling outward.

Meanwhile Redding, a relative backmarker in GP, dominated BSB on his first attempt, springboarded into wsbk and became an immediate title challenger, effectively leapfrogging the series regulars that used to line up behind JR.

By contrast haslam, Davies, Sykes, vandermark were all race winning, potentially title challenging riders just a couple of years ago who have now been completely eclipsed by the above + younger guys like gerloff and toprak. Their riding style is noticeably dated looking and they aren't able to extract that last bit of extra oomph.

Rae has crushed all comers because he's a great white shark in a paddling pool, he really should've been snapped up by a gp team back in his Honda days.

My pitch: market reality and racing reality lead me to believe wsbk would be very well served by switching to a class exclusively for naked, handlebar-equipped streetfighters. The bikes aren't too different on a technical basis, the market is much bigger than supersports, it would end the similarity with GP and open the door to other interesting stuff like really tight arena style tracks for example.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You watch F1 for the off-track drama and the Mercedes / Red Bull slapfight. You watch MotoGP for the racing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

You watch F1 for the off-track drama and the Mercedes / Red Bull slapfight. You watch MotoGP for the racing.

It's an email fight about whose corner it was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If there's one thing I love more than exciting racing, it's corporations posturing on social media!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m doing an F1 2021 league with some friends because as of a couple weeks ago the three of us all have sim racing setups and it’s bizarre how weirdly into the slapfights they are.

During our league races, especially practice and quali it’s all “did you see that driver blahblahblah is pissed at Mercedes because his team mate said X?” And I’m like holy poo poo let’s just race these pretend racecars.

As an outsider looking in it seems like it combines the drama of soaps/reality tv with Motorsports and I guess some people like that? I don’t have the energy for it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m doing an F1 2021 league with some friends because as of a couple weeks ago the three of us all have sim racing setups and it’s bizarre how weirdly into the slapfights they are.

During our league races, especially practice and quali it’s all “did you see that driver blahblahblah is pissed at Mercedes because his team mate said X?” And I’m like holy poo poo let’s just race these pretend racecars.

As an outsider looking in it seems like it combines the drama of soaps/reality tv with Motorsports and I guess some people like that? I don’t have the energy for it.

Sorry you don’t like Lorenzo but he is still THE BEST.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha jokes on you I don’t even own a tv know who that is.

I just driv car fas and then that’s it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Sorry you don’t like Lorenzo but he is still THE BEST.

He is not the best what are you talking about.

He is a GREAT CHAMPION standing atop a mountain of wins, like a majestic giant eaglemamba holding a small buttered horse in it's mouth.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Valentino just confirmed that he's retiring at the end of the season.
I've been watching him race since the 125 days and he's a couple of months older than me.
It feels like a more of a milestone than I expected that now I can no longer say that there are MotoGP races older than me.
:corsair:

echomadman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 5, 2021

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

echomadman posted:

Valentino just confirmed that he's retiring at the end of the season.
I've been watching him race since the 125 days and he's a couple of months older than me.
It feels like a more of a milestone that i expected that now i can no longer say that there are MotoGP races older than me.
:corsair:

Came to post this, definitely the end of an era.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is he going into WRC now like he's been talking about for years, or is he too old for that?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Is he going into WRC now like he's been talking about for years, or is he too old for that?

He said he wants to go race 'cars' but wasnt any more specific than that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He wanted to go GT racing but it seemed like he just assumed Ferrari would accommodate him and they...won't. Now it all depends on how much sweet sweet oil money he gets from the saudis and what they let him do with it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cal is stepping in for the injured Franco for 3 Yamaha races, and Pedrosa is back for a one off at KTM.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
End of an Era. I would consider the Sete/Vale and Vale/Jorge feuds as some of the best in history.

A legend and a hero, it's not going to be the same without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

fabios pole lap getting cancelled at the same time marc went down right in front of him on the last possible lap was hilarious chaos.