Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Honestly you can probably buy a jillion battle droids on BrickLink for cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dogen posted:

They had this set up in the Toronto train station back in 2019:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow that thing is huge

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

veni veni veni posted:

Wow that thing is huge

Don't worry, we'll ease into it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grebbled for her pleasure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh a lot of my old Lego is so filthy. Is soaking them in soap water for a few hours and then rinsing them enough to get it all off or do I need to scrub them with a toothbrush too? Is there any risk of printed parts losing their prints from that? I know to wash Chrome and sticker parts very carefully.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RatHat posted:

Ugh a lot of my old Lego is so filthy. Is soaking them in soap water for a few hours and then rinsing them enough to get it all off or do I need to scrub them with a toothbrush too? Is there any risk of printed parts losing their prints from that? I know to wash Chrome and sticker parts very carefully.

If you have a TOP LOADING washing machine, that is the easiest/fastest way to do it.

Whatever you do, separate out any stickered or printed pieces.

Stickers: just wipe down with at most a damp towel. But doing it with just a dry towel works, too.

Printed pieces, put them in a big pot and fill it a ways with cold water. Then put some dish soap in and swoosh it all around. Pick out each piece individually and gently rub the surfaces. The place them in a strainer. Rinse with cold water.

Washing machine everything else:

1 - separate the trans pieces.
2 - put everything in laundry bags. https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Hosi...ps%2C274&sr=8-5 Make sure they are zipped shut well. Spread the pieces out so no bag is too full.

3 - wash on cold at the most gentle cycle you can. Double rinse if it is an option.

4 - spread washed pieces out on a towel. Either cover with another towel or let a fan blow air over them.

You will likely have to move them around a bit to get some of the water out.

Some people will say do the trans stuff by hand. I've never had a problem in the washer, though.

In any case, if you follow these steps you will end up with squeaky clean LEGO bricks.

And if you have fabric stuff like sails there is a different way of washing those.

e: some people will say use a pillowcase. I'm sure this will work, but not as well as the laundry bags.

e2: do not wash chrome pieces. do not scrub them. be as gentle with them as possible because the chrome comes off pretty easily.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 21, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real OGs embrace the dirt and teeth marks on their childhood Lego

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waltzing Along posted:

If you have a washing machine, that is the easiest/fastest way to do it.

Whatever you do, separate out any stickered or printed pieces.

Stickers: just wipe down with at most a damp towel. But doing it with just a dry towel works, too.

Printed pieces, put them in a big pot and fill it a ways with cold water. Then put some dish soap in and swoosh it all around. Pick out each piece individually and gently rub the surfaces. The place them in a strainer. Rinse with cold water.

Washing machine everything else:

1 - separate the trans pieces.
2 - put everything in laundry bags. https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Hosi...ps%2C274&sr=8-5 Make sure they are zipped shut well. Spread the pieces out so no bag is too full.

3 - wash on cold at the most gentle cycle you can. Double rinse if it is an option.

4 - spread washed pieces out on a towel. Either cover with another towel or let a fan blow air over them.

You will likely have to move them around a bit to get some of the water out.

Some people will say do the trans stuff by hand. I've never had a problem in the washer, though.

In any case, if you follow these steps you will end up with squeaky clean LEGO bricks.

And if you have fabric stuff like sails there is a different way of washing those.

e: some people will say use a pillowcase. I'm sure this will work, but not as well as the laundry bags.

Washing machine will also scratch the hell out of the pieces though.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Avoid washing/soaking with water hotter than 40 degrees Celsius as the older stuff WILL melt!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Also prints can absolutely come off, assess whether they are actually so dirty as to require washing and if so do them separately by hand. Sun yellowing won’t come out in the wash of course but there is retrobrite which I believe is just another household cleaner under a different name?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Soak them in acetone.
:unsmigghh:

Don't actually do that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

deoju posted:

Soak them in acetone.
:unsmigghh:

Don't actually do that.

Someone recreate this video but with Lego minifigures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pn4bTAQWA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Also prints can absolutely come off, assess whether they are actually so dirty as to require washing and if so do them separately by hand. Sun yellowing won’t come out in the wash of course but there is retrobrite which I believe is just another household cleaner under a different name?
Retr0brite is just hydrogen peroxide. All it does is bleach the surface, but won't prevent it from re-yellowing later. Once that starts there's no stopping it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
My son is getting old enough to start playing with legos (By play, I mean take what I have built for him and fly it around like an airplane), so I decided to get one of those classic boxes the big box stores sell for cheap. 1500 pieces for $40 bux (was on sale), I think he'll really like it for his birthday in a few months.

Also, when is Lego bringing back Castle sets? I know they had the creator set and the blacksmith idea set, what about a full set? Been a while, they were my favorite back in the day, especially Fantasy stuff.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
There’s a creator 3-1 castle right now, seems like there will be more like it coming in the future

e: you literally mentioned the creator set, my bad- looks like there's something even bigger than Castle in the Forest in the upcoming Ideas review: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/673cbe99-5f5f-40a6-b787-2c110301fcce

crazy eyes mustafa fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 4, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just built the FIAT 500 and I love it, I remember years upon years ago LEGO had these weird rear end larger figures that were meant for larger scale car models. I really wish they continued those so I could have a facsimile of me in this model. Where those figures all racing themed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

RatHat posted:

Ugh a lot of my old Lego is so filthy. Is soaking them in soap water for a few hours and then rinsing them enough to get it all off or do I need to scrub them with a toothbrush too?

Honestly, a sink filled with warm water and some dish soap and some gently swishing really does wonders. Soap is a wonderful invention.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

sigher posted:

I just built the FIAT 500 and I love it, I remember years upon years ago LEGO had these weird rear end larger figures that were meant for larger scale car models. I really wish they continued those so I could have a facsimile of me in this model. Where those figures all racing themed?

I had that thought back when I built the UCS X Wing and yeah they’re all big old technic guys with helmets I think.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The new guardians ship is awesome as hell. If it could have been a couple more studs wide in the interior that’d have been great but maybe it would’ve made the whole thing too wide to be swooshable. But it’s a great model and the stand is clever. I’m pissed that Drax isn’t in the set and we got some random Chitauri. For a spaceship/plane type symmetrical build it never felt tedious to me and the final product is extremely sturdy.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

sigher posted:

Here's a list of them on Bricklink

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

There’s a creator 3-1 castle right now, seems like there will be more like it coming in the future

e: you literally mentioned the creator set, my bad- looks like there's something even bigger than Castle in the Forest in the upcoming Ideas review: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/673cbe99-5f5f-40a6-b787-2c110301fcce

That thing isn't in review and I find it unlikely to make it through. Only castle options are the blacksmith. Creator castle. And the bricklink castle in the forest, but that is only available in the general sense of if you are rich you can get it from a scalper next year. Maybe with all of Legos new themes crashing and burning they'll bring back castle.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Dogen posted:

I hadn't checked yet, was going off my prior experience attempting (and failing) to find cheap bulk skeletons. My question wrt trading was more because I don't really care for the clone minifigure or jedi minifigures.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RatHat posted:

Washing machine will also scratch the hell out of the pieces though.

Never happened to me. Anecdotal, but it could be the type of washer or how I wash them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tumble washers are pretty bad. Tub washers are fine but still probably cause scratches over time. But so does pawing through a tub of bricks looking for a single piece, I'd think the two are equivalent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've only hand washed bricks in the sink, but to me it seems like the dishwasher would be the obvious choice over the laundry machine if you were going to go that route.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

I've only hand washed bricks in the sink, but to me it seems like the dishwasher would be the obvious choice over the laundry machine if you were going to go that route.

Not even remotely. A dishwasher runs on hot water. It needs the hot water to work properly. With cold water it's not going to do its job very well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

The Amelia Earhart tribute set is available for 1500 VIP points on Lego.com right now. Apparently it sold out fast last time so get it now if you want it.

Aaand sold out. That was faster than I expected.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I traded all my battle droids several years ago to someone in this thread for some Roman soldier cmfs if I recall correctly. I think they just wanted the heads for some moc from memory?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Tumble washers are pretty bad. Tub washers are fine but still probably cause scratches over time. But so does pawing through a tub of bricks looking for a single piece, I'd think the two are equivalent.
Pawing through a pile of bricks is barely any force at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/tormentalous/status/1423268901270343684

Available September 2nd, $249.99 / £229.99 / €249.99

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Scipiotik posted:

That thing isn't in review and I find it unlikely to make it through. Only castle options are the blacksmith. Creator castle. And the bricklink castle in the forest, but that is only available in the general sense of if you are rich you can get it from a scalper next year. Maybe with all of Legos new themes crashing and burning they'll bring back castle.

Yeah, I honestly don't see the need for that particular ldeas set; the Creator castle seems to be much the same concept, better executed with fewer pieces and more playability. I ordered both it and the blacksmith; maybe I can expand the moat with some of the light blue plates from the Barracuda Bay set and have the bonus sailboat "floating" in it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

https://twitter.com/tormentalous/status/1423268901270343684

Available September 2nd, $249.99 / £229.99 / €249.99

That's actually a bargain given the number of parts.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

that set makes me wish I liked harry potter lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think that owl kicks rear end and some of the details like the potions also own. Maybe I'll try and build it myself off bricklink? Is that economical? To try and buy pieces and build a set?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

I think that owl kicks rear end and some of the details like the potions also own. Maybe I'll try and build it myself off bricklink? Is that economical? To try and buy pieces and build a set?

not in my experience

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
IF you can live without the unique parts AND get them all from one seller, potentially. Otherwise almost never

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HootTheOwl posted:

For a new set? Definitely not. Can be worthwhile for some older sets though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well that's what I'm saying the owl doesn't look like it's got unqiue pieces but what do I know? I'll trust you goons to know better though.